{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A Thread About Notts County

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: A Thread About Conference Club Notts County

Postby Beano » Mon May 30, 2022 7:02 pm

If the owners recruit the players, I fail to see how you can hold a manager responsible if they don’t perform.

I suppose using maths to pick players is more accurate than getting your Willy to point to pictures in the bath, but so far it’s achieved the same result, abject failure.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 30, 2022 7:35 pm

I don’t know what County’s model is, do they have a head of recruitment/director or football?

Most clubs who operate in this way will appoint a ‘head coach’ rather than a manager, purely to coach the players.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon May 30, 2022 7:47 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Johan wrote:Signing players without any input from a manager??? Sums up the state of that club.

The opposite in my opinion. Shows a clear recruitment plan that doesn’t rely on a manager to find players.

Until of course your new manager comes in realises he needs a left sided midfielder and the guy you’ve just bought by numbers has a left foot only fit for standing on.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 30, 2022 7:51 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Johan wrote:Signing players without any input from a manager??? Sums up the state of that club.

The opposite in my opinion. Shows a clear recruitment plan that doesn’t rely on a manager to find players.

Until of course your new manager comes in realises he needs a left sided midfielder and the guy you’ve just bought by numbers has a left foot only fit for standing on.

It relies on a competent director of football to make sure the squad is balanced. The aim will be to recruit a predetermined style of play/formation and make sure the squad is built to that end. They would then hire a coach they believed could carry out their vision.

This is obviously the idealistic version, but the thinking will be to stop huge squad churns every time a new manager is appointed, and not have players signed by a previous manager sat rotting in the reserves when a new manager doesn’t fancy them.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 30, 2022 8:08 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It relies on a competent director of football to make sure the squad is balanced. The aim will be to recruit a predetermined style of play/formation and make sure the squad is built to that end. They would then hire a coach they believed could carry out their vision.

This is obviously the idealistic version, but the thinking will be to stop huge squad churns every time a new manager is appointed, and not have players signed by a previous manager sat rotting in the reserves when a new manager doesn’t fancy them.

How do they manage to get a balance of personality?

We all know the most successful teams are the ones who gel and get on together. The above system appears to make no account of a player’s personality and ability to mix and support others. Stats are no use at all if players don’t like or respect each other or have too big an ego to sit on a bench. Like most aspects of modern thinking the system has some merit but also huge holes in the philosophy in practice.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 30, 2022 8:11 pm

I don’t have all the answers but I assume they research the players personalities, get references etc. the same as any other club does.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:23 pm

Problem with stats is its a piece of the puzzle to build a bigger picture. It's when stats are the be all and end all of everything. That's when you have an issue.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 30, 2022 8:42 pm

Thing with county and this approach, they may build a team over time slowly finding these hidden gems but in reality I think they will keep falling short and any good players will get pinched by league clubs.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 30, 2022 9:01 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Thing with county and this approach, they may build a team over time slowly finding these hidden gems but in reality I think they will keep falling short and any good players will get pinched by league clubs.

That’s true but I assume that’s also part of the model, bring in players who they may be able to sell on. Not much use unfortunately if clubs just pinch them at the of their contracts.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon May 30, 2022 10:59 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

To some extent its a good idea, like Liverpool... But ultimately football people, Klopp and his staff make the decisions on who they sign and how they will fit into how they will/ want to play.

County, its pretty much just the owners and then up to who ever comes in to coach to make it all work. Watched them plenty of times this year and theyre a long way off league two.

Id be fuming if the club signed a player without a manager in place.

It's what Matthew Benham does at Brentford. They've scrapped their academy because they were neither getting players in the first team, or selling them for profit (sound familiar?), and then look for undervalued talent around the world with their data models, bring them into the first team then sell them for a profit. Benham is a genius, this article is very good:

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/6 ... er-fa-cup/
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon May 30, 2022 11:09 pm

Update on Twitter.
Last edited by Dan on Tue May 31, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue May 31, 2022 7:31 am

Interesting thread on their forum re moving from Mardy Lane at some point.
I don't know if this idea is serious or a pipe dream, the idea seems to be to put distance between them & Forest to try to foster a stronger identity with one part of the city.
Personally I think a Deva type ground on the outskirts of the city would kill them.
If they want a seperate identity maybe they should move to Newark :)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 31, 2022 7:38 am

Sneag wrote:Interesting thread on their forum re moving from Mardy Lane at some point.
I don't know if this idea is serious or a pipe dream, the idea seems to be to put distance between them & Forest to try to foster a stronger identity with one part of the city.
Personally I think a Deva type ground on the outskirts of the city would kill them.
If they want a seperate identity maybe they should move to Newark :)

I think the anagram would fit fairly well :D :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue May 31, 2022 9:47 am

Brian Clough didn't scout or buy players, Peter Taylor did that very successful for him. There are not many other examples of this working. The manager surely has to be involved in the signing of the players he's got to get a tune out of.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue May 31, 2022 10:38 am

Our board of directors have provided an update on the search for our next head coach and the club’s preparations for the 2022-23 season.

Following last week’s departure of Ian Burchnall, we have been working extremely hard to profile and shortlist a number of candidates who we would like to interview for the role, while also being inundated with applicants.

This process has left us extremely confident of recruiting a head coach who will suit the club’s philosophy and seamlessly adjust to life at Meadow Lane.

We would, however, like to manage supporters’ expectations over timescales as we expect it to be at least a couple of weeks before an appointment is made.

We share the view of our fans that this is a very important decision for the club as we continue our pursuit of promotion to the EFL and, with the players not returning for pre-season training until late June, we see no benefit in rushing this process.

As you will have seen from the contract renewal of Richard Brindley and the signing of Tobi Adebayo-Rowling, having no head coach in post does not affect our summer recruitment plans. While Ian’s replacement will, like his predecessor, have a significant input on new signings once in post, we are very confident that whoever is selected for the role will be supportive of the targets we’re pursuing.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank our fans for their tremendous support over the course of the 2021-22 season.

Like all of you, we were devastated to not progress in the play-offs, however this has only made us more determined to build a squad this summer which can help us once again challenge for the promotion we all so desperately want.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:37 am

Notts County have signed National League North Top Scorer, Macaulay Langstaff (25), from Gateshead - 32 goals and 14 assists

Kyle Wootton will probably leave as he is out of contract. Portsmouth, Barnsley, Blackburn and Huddersfield are said to be interested.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:30 pm

Going to be brilliant when the new gaffer comes in and benches him immediately
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:46 pm

:D Where is that young Notts reporter , when they got rid of Neal Ardley he did a video thanking him for is service whilst at the club :lol: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:12 pm

"Notts County have appointed former Swindon Town manager Luke Williams (41) as head coach. He recently worked as Swansea City assistant manager, leaving his job in south Wales in February for personal reasons. Former Exeter, Brighton and Swindon midfielder Ryan Harley has been named Williams' assistant.

Williams' stint as Swindon manager ended following the club's relegation to League Two in 2017 at the end of his first full season in charge. A year earlier he had impressed enough as caretaker boss of the Robins to earn a five-year contract. After leaving the Wiltshire club he was appointed head coach of Bristol City Under-23s, where he stayed for two years before taking the job as Russell Martin's assistant at MK Dons. He followed Martin to Swansea in August 2021, only to leave six months later.

A statement from County said Williams "fully understands the pressure and expectation that comes with this role".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61799506?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:23 pm

So someone who couldn’t cut in his one stint as the man in charge, who now has to manage with players he hasn’t even picked. Ummm, wonder how this will turn out. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:06 pm

Christ that is a poor appointment

Sooner they appoint an experienced manage the sooner they will get out that league. Beaten in the play offs again
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:08 pm

10 pence Erik Ten Hag :lol:
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:31 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Christ that is a poor appointment

Sooner they appoint an experienced manage the sooner they will get out that league. Beaten in the play offs again

Luke Williams ????? Think they might have been better with Kenneth Williams.

Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:10 pm

Madness like this sometimes works out.

Nathan Jones at the biggest club in the universe, Loo'un Tahn, was a women's coach prior to them wasn't he?

If it fails this time round though (fingers crossed) then surely Clownty will have to re-evaluate this wacky data based model they are using.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum