{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A Thread About Notts County

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: A Thread About Conference Club Notts County

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
pemill wrote:
chip63 wrote:There is a good read on bbc site. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48412747
Main points being efl clubs lost £388 million last year with only 19 making a profit.
Prem clubs get 100 million each while efl clubs get 230 million between 72 clubs.

I just get the feeling the championship will break away soon leaving us in serious trouble.

I know it isn't millions of pounds but it makes a lot of sense to have 2 leagues below the Championship split North & South, L1N & L1S ?

OK we would still have the long journey to Carlisle but we would lose the likes of Exeter, Plymouth & Colchester for instance.

You're obviously quite young and cant remember the previous north and south divisions. As we are in the midlands we could actually end up in the south, beware of what you wish for

And ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 29, 2019 5:29 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
pemill wrote:
chip63 wrote:There is a good read on bbc site. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48412747
Main points being efl clubs lost £388 million last year with only 19 making a profit.
Prem clubs get 100 million each while efl clubs get 230 million between 72 clubs.

I just get the feeling the championship will break away soon leaving us in serious trouble.

I know it isn't millions of pounds but it makes a lot of sense to have 2 leagues below the Championship split North & South, L1N & L1S ?

OK we would still have the long journey to Carlisle but we would lose the likes of Exeter, Plymouth & Colchester for instance.

You're obviously quite young and cant remember the previous north and south divisions. As we are in the midlands we could actually end up in the south, beware of what you wish for

And ?

End up travelling to all points south meaning further to go and rubbish beer, not to mention southern rob dog prices.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu May 30, 2019 8:20 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
pemill wrote:

Geographically central, MTFC was shuffled between 3rd Division North and 3rd Division South.

I always thought Loughborough was the central part of England n I think their 30 miles further South than Mansfield.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu May 30, 2019 8:30 am

SINA STAG wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
pemill wrote:

Geographically central, MTFC was shuffled between 3rd Division North and 3rd Division South.

I always thought Loughborough was the central part of England n I think their 30 miles further South than Mansfield.....

It all depends on how many teams are in the north and south sections. Too many in the north section and we’d be in the south.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu May 30, 2019 10:16 am

Geographically central, MTFC was shuffled between 3rd Division North and 3rd Division South.[/quote]

I always thought Loughborough was the central part of England n I think their 30 miles further South than Mansfield.....[/quote]
It all depends on how many teams are in the north and south sections. Too many in the north section and we’d be in the south.[/quote]

But all being fair n equal we would be in the North section by Geographically location like Edders mentioned above..
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby waddostag » Thu May 30, 2019 11:15 am

SINA STAG wrote:Geographically central, MTFC was shuffled between 3rd Division North and 3rd Division South.

I always thought Loughborough was the central part of England n I think their 30 miles further South than Mansfield.....[/quote]
It all depends on how many teams are in the north and south sections. Too many in the north section and we’d be in the south.[/quote]

But all being fair n equal we would be in the North section by Geographically location like Edders mentioned above..[/quote]
I have just done a quick tally and think next season there will be 25 teams in league 1 and league 2 which are South of us, which would put us in the Northern section. However if for example Portsmouth and Coventry where promoted next season and replaced by Wigan and Preston we would start the following season in the Southern section, so we are definitely borderline.
waddostag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu May 30, 2019 12:14 pm

A few years back, when Forest slipped into L1, the JPT was regionalised to give an even split from each league in north and south sections.
Forest were classed as a North L1 team, but County, which is slightly further north, was classed as a South L2 team !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu May 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Back in the 70’s when there was fuel shortages, league football was played on Sundays and some kick off times were brought forward to reduce floodlight usage.

At that time, the Football League were seriously considering the introduction of three divisions - north, central and south. The clubs wouldn’t hear of it.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Thu May 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:A few years back, when Forest slipped into L1, the JPT was regionalised to give an even split from each league in north and south sections.
Forest were classed as a North L1 team, but County, which is slightly further north, was classed as a South L2 team !!

You've got to split it somewhere.
Midlands teams could lose derby games if they are located around the split line so we as a club would veto this but Carlisle and Plymouth might vote in favour.
ie Chesterfield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, Lincoln , Scunthorpe, York, Grimsby, Bradford could be north and we could be stuck in the south with Burton,Walsall and Port Vale as our big games (no thanks)
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Thu May 30, 2019 1:18 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:A few years back, when Forest slipped into L1, the JPT was regionalised to give an even split from each league in north and south sections.

You've got to split it somewhere.
Midlands teams could lose derby games if they are located around the split line so we as a club would veto this but Carlisle and Plymouth might vote in favour.
ie Chesterfield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, Lincoln , Scunthorpe, York, Grimsby, Bradford could be north and we could be stuck in the south with Burton,Walsall and Port Vale as our big games (no thanks)

Cheaterfield are not going to be in any split of the football leagues... hopefully for a long time to come.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 30, 2019 3:58 pm

So what's the reasoning for wanting to split leagues regionally? Sorry I've not read the article.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Thu May 30, 2019 4:01 pm

We played 20 seasons in the old split 3rd Division, 16 in the Northern Section, only 4 in the Southern.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu May 30, 2019 11:39 pm

Is this really what this hilarious thread has come to? Let's get back on track :)
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri May 31, 2019 5:01 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Is this really what this hilarious thread has come to? Let's get back on track :)

Meanwhile back at Meadow Lane, read their 30 page plus thread about the ‘Nice South Afrikaans’ taking them over. Either the Afrikaans are being as sneaky as they were in Lethal Weapon 2 and not disclosing anything until the deal is done or County have big problems.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 pm

Nearly forgot - County are back in court on Wednesday. Nothing to do with Big Alan getting his junk photographed but more to do with not paying the taxman.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri May 31, 2019 8:50 pm

The deal with the South Africans will not take place gone on too long
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Fri May 31, 2019 11:43 pm

Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby SINA STAG » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:23 am

This

From Notts Evening Post

It’s also worth noting that Notts County Ltd’s accounts are also overdue, but given that the winding up petition is due to be heard next Wednesday it’s likely that more information, particularly on whether there is actually a potential buyer for the shares in the club, will become available then."

Reading the full article it reads AH as been borrowing from Paragon Leisure to run Notts County n in turn Paragon Leisure was funded by Paragon Interiors.....

But what I can't understand I'm sure AH isn't that thick to understand NCFC was bleeding both his companies dry so why did he buy Ilkeston Town FC
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 am

SINA STAG wrote:This

From Notts Evening Post

It’s also worth noting that Notts County Ltd’s accounts are also overdue, but given that the winding up petition is due to be heard next Wednesday it’s likely that more information, particularly on whether there is actually a potential buyer for the shares in the club, will become available then."

Reading the full article it reads AH as been borrowing from Paragon Leisure to run Notts County n in turn Paragon Leisure was funded by Paragon Interiors.....

But what I can't understand I'm sure AH isn't that thick to understand NCFC was bleeding both his companies dry so why did he buy Ilkeston Town FC

Ego, I reckon. Thought he was the messiah of Notts and wanted another way of massaging his ego.

Didn’t account for getting relegated (nobody could’ve seen that happening)

Paragon Leisure was used to fund Notts so that it didn’t burden the main company with liabilities (I think)
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:33 pm

From Notts Evening Post

At least AH's intentions towards the club were honourable enough.

I remember in the not too distant past an owner of our club borrowing from Mansfield Town to run his own ventures on the Algarve
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Spiritater wrote:

From Notts Evening Post

I remember in the not too distant past an owner of our club borrowing from Mansfield Town to run his own ventures on the Algarve

Borrowing?

Stealing, more like.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:55 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

From Notts Evening Post

Borrowing?

Stealing, more like.

As much as I despise the bloke, he is one of a handful of people to actually make a profit from lower league football.

Went in with a quid, came out with a few million.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:24 am

There's more click bait then the CHAD site but I was tempted by the 2017 "Richest people in Notts"

25= Alan Hardy - £55m (new entry)

Alan Hardy has been called a serial entrepreneur. He’s certainly a successful one and has also become a collector of football clubs.

At the beginning of this year he acquired the world’s oldest football club, the 155 year-old Notts County. And in the summer he completed the purchase of Ilkeston FC from the liquidator, reverting back to the club’s original name of Ilkeston Town FC.

The purchase of League Two Notts County was a knife-edge affair, held up by a dispute over a £1.5 million loan owed to the trustees of the Haydn Green Estate. However it was resolved and the acquisition went through.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 am

stag861 wrote:There's more click bait then the CHAD site but I was tempted by the 2017 "Richest people in Notts"

25= Alan Hardy - £55m (new entry)

Alan Hardy has been called a serial entrepreneur. He’s certainly a successful one and has also become a collector of football clubs.

At the beginning of this year he acquired the world’s oldest football club, the 155 year-old Notts County. And in the summer he completed the purchase of Ilkeston FC from the liquidator, reverting back to the club’s original name of Ilkeston Town FC.

The purchase of League Two Notts County was a knife-edge affair, held up by a dispute over a £1.5 million loan owed to the trustees of the Haydn Green Estate. However it was resolved and the acquisition went through.

Sod Hardy, who was No1
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:06 am

1. Stefano Pessina - £10.6 billion

2016 ranking: 1

2016 worth: £9.5 billion

Former nuclear engineer Stefano Pessina has big plans for Boots. Having turned the 170 year-old company name into a global brand, his ambition is to conquer the huge market in China.

Stefano Pessina is executive vice-chairman, chief executive officer and the largest single shareholder of the biggest health and beauty chain in the UK and Nottingham’s biggest employer.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum