{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Injury update on Cameron

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Injury update on Cameron

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:09 am

There must be some decent centre halfs out there still looking for a club?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:04 am

oldweststander wrote:There must be some decent centre halfs out there still looking for a club?

We have 2.5 weeks before the tranny window slams shut.

Its cheque book time.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:19 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
oldweststander wrote:There must be some decent centre halfs out there still looking for a club?

Its cheque book time.

Don’t forget the loan window remains open until the end of August I think I’m right in saying, and for out of contract players.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:10 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:

Its cheque book time.

Don’t forget the loan window remains open until the end of August I think I’m right in saying, and for out of contract players.

you are right in saying.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby 88BenM » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 am

natfromboza wrote:I liked Kyle Howkins when he was on loan with us. Thought he was solid. He returned (I forget who with) at the end of the season and again was very solid. Anyone know if he is still with West Brom? Would be a decent loan signing for the season if he is still there?

It was him who scored comedy goal of the season for us. His fellow defender blasted the ball at his backside and it went straight into the net. For Port Vale.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 am

I would keep Digby he can do a job anywhere in defence.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 am

Agreed - seems like a good solution to me
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:20 pm

We have to trust Flitcroft, I think from what we have seen thus far all his additions have brought something to the team.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:47 pm

There was a post from the club on FB that he’s actively looking for a new defender.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:15 pm

88BenM wrote:
natfromboza wrote:I liked Kyle Howkins when he was on loan with us. Thought he was solid. He returned (I forget who with) at the end of the season and again was very solid. Anyone know if he is still with West Brom? Would be a decent loan signing for the season if he is still there?

It was him who scored comedy goal of the season for us. His fellow defender blasted the ball at his backside and it went straight into the net. For Port Vale.

And should have been sent off.
And nearly scored 2 more own goals.
But apart from that he had a cracking game !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:00 am

Reading between the lines of the interview about a defender. It seems the market had tightened up. People wanting silly money but now it's getting toward the season starting so players and/or agents are lowering demands. Perhaps that's why he brought Cameron in, nobody interested and a good player but took him on trial for obvious reasons. Now the market is loosening he can look at other targets. Plus as teams add players in the coming weeks it means that their fringe players may be surplus to requirements and can go on loan.

We could sign one of 1000s of centre backs. Doesn't mean they are any good or at the level required.

We also have added bonus that we can offer regular first team football with us playing our full/wing back at centre half.

If Cameron's injury is unrelated to his previous one then it may be worth offering alow basic wage but added bonuses, not so much pay as you play but sometimes that experience is good just to have in the dressing room. Plus once he's recovered he could be a big player for us. Or even a 6 month deal
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:06 am

On paper Cameron sounds exactly what's required: experienced, a leader, the right age, a proper jailhouse door. However, the injury situation is a big worry and we're already carrying some big injured wages. I wonder if there's scope for offering him a six month deal - injury permitting - whilst bringing in a loan as well.

Although I still say that Digby, if kept, could be a crucial player for us for several roles, including that one. He'd be a useful band aid on a few positions.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:47 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:On paper Cameron sounds exactly what's required: experienced, a leader, the right age, a proper jailhouse door. However, the injury situation is a big worry and we're already carrying some big injured wages. I wonder if there's scope for offering him a six month deal - injury permitting - whilst bringing in a loan as well.

Although I still say that Digby, if kept, could be a crucial player for us for several roles, including that one. He'd be a useful band aid on a few positions.

Agree. Keep Digby . Already at the club, a decent player, versatile and knows the set up and has still more to prove .
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 pm

I still think we need two more centre halfs. Paul Digby could be one of them but David Flitcroft clearly did not want him at the end of the season.

The problem for Flitcroft is that he still has lots of big earners on the books who he does not want or who are injured - Paul Anderson, Calum Butcher, Paul Digby, Zander Diamond and David Mirfin. It's going to be hard for him to free up money to sign another centre half unless he can shift some of these players. If no other club comes in for them then he's got to use them as best he can.

If we had kept Rhys Bennett then I would have been happy with our squad.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:05 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I still think we need two more centre halfs. Paul Digby could be one of them but David Flitcroft clearly did not want him at the end of the season.

The problem for Flitcroft is that he still has lots of big earners on the books who he does not want or who are injured - Paul Anderson, Calum Butcher, Paul Digby, Zander Diamond and David Mirfin. It's going to be hard for him to free up money to sign another centre half unless he can shift some of these players. If no other club comes in for them then he's got to use them as best he can.

That about sums in up .
Unfortunately, Flitcroft, because of injuries, the money they are on and maybe a lack of interest , has got four or five players he didn't want and is probably two or three short of players he wanted to bring in .
As above , I think we are two defenders short . Digby in my eyes would be ideal . We then need to bring in another central defender , preferably a left footed one . If Cameron injury isn't too bad then maybe a short time deal
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:42 am

Do we need to offer a contract ?. The player and the club both know that with Camerons history he is very unlikely to find a club while injured .Could we offer to treat his current injury and try to get him injury free and match fit .If it all goes wrong then Cameron can say thanks for trying , if everything goes well then the club can sign him outside any transfer window due to him being an unattached player .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:01 am

should find out how bad his injury is today i think, good luck to the big man
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:55 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I still think we need two more centre halfs. Paul Digby could be one of them but David Flitcroft clearly did not want him at the end of the season.

It will take another two transfer windows before DF gets the squad he wants.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 am

yorkshire stag wrote:should find out how bad his injury is today i think, good luck to the big man

More likely we'll find out at 10pm on Tuesday night.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:46 am

A positive we can take regarding the transfer listed players, it seems most have signed in to the way DF wants to play and his fitness regime.

They are decent players and maybe they will have a better chance to perform to their potential this season.

I've a feeling Digby will leave, as it appears other clubs are interested. If that happened DF will then have the opportunity to bring in a centre half of his choice.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 am

Seemed strange that Digby did not get on at the weekend if he was staying, especially ahead of two lads who had played less than 24 hours before.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:02 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Seemed strange that Digby did not get on at the weekend if he was staying, especially ahead of two lads who had played less than 24 hours before.

Agreed, that says to me that there is interest in him and he may be on his way. He was the only lad to not get on I think.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 am

Amber Andy wrote:It will take another two transfer windows before DF gets the squad he wants.

......but will David Flitcroft have the benefit of another two transfer windows Andy if he does not win promotion this season? It's a results business. He needs to deliver now.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:22 am

Amber Andy wrote:

It will take another two transfer windows before DF gets the squad he wants.

This is true, I'd be willing to give him those seasons. Providing he continues to blood youngsters. Not just playing them in pre season and leaving them on the scrap heap. Which we've all seen happen before. They oalters are clearly responding well to his pre season.

I can see why we faded at the end of the season. Evans and Flitcroft appear to be polar opposites on their approach to pre season and styles. I prefer Flitcroft's way to be honest. Early pre season signs appear to be good but we've all seen that before as well.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:24 am

The transfer market is starting to move again. I think we will see a flurry of activity before the transfer window closes on Thursday 9th August. Agents/players will be starting to lower their demands.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum