{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Q&A with Jack Thomas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Q&A with Jack Thomas

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:48 am

Got to ask Jack a few questions, can now be seen on the latest news page.

Some interesting stuff about returning from injury and personal matters which hindered his progress.

http://stagsnet.net/news/newsdetails.php?newsid=9282
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Q&A with Jack Thomas

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:57 am

Best wishes for your career Jack.
I am Spartacus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Well done, Sam, an excellent interview, can you do more with other players.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:03 pm

An enjoyable read and Jack really comes across well. I do feel we've missed out on one with him, he has massive potential and I can see him forging a career at the lower levels of the football league, he just needs to find a steady team and play every week now and that team will definitely reap the rewards.
88BenM
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:32 pm

88BenM wrote:An enjoyable read and Jack really comes across well. I do feel we've missed out on one with him, he has massive potential and I can see him forging a career at the lower levels of the football league, he just needs to find a steady team and play every week now and that team will definitely reap the rewards.

I'm not so sure about that.. Jack reminds me of Gary Castledine, started with such potential and looked like he was going to take the game by storm. Unfortunately for whatever reason Gary just faded away and lost his way.

It just shows how difficult it is to make it as a professional footballer and how small incidents or injuries can kill careers.

I do wish Jack luck and hope to see him regain his early promise and maybe come back to us refreshed and ripping teams apart.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 am

part time pete wrote:Well done, Sam, an excellent interview, can you do more with other players.

Thanks Pete. I can try, only stumbling block with current players is that permission by the club is needed and they have to look through and authorise it.

Anyone in particular you were thinking of?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:Well done, Sam, an excellent interview, can you do more with other players.

Thanks Pete. I can try, only stumbling block with current players is that permission by the club is needed and they have to look through and authorise it.

Anyone in particular you were thinking of?

Joel Byrom or Rhys Bennett or ‘hat trick’ Spencer.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
88BenM wrote:An enjoyable read and Jack really comes across well. I do feel we've missed out on one with him, he has massive potential and I can see him forging a career at the lower levels of the football league, he just needs to find a steady team and play every week now and that team will definitely reap the rewards.

I'm not so sure about that.. Jack reminds me of Gary Castledine, started with such potential and looked like he was going to take the game by storm. Unfortunately for whatever reason Gary just faded away and lost his way.

It just shows how difficult it is to make it as a professional footballer and how small incidents or injuries can kill careers.

I do wish Jack luck and hope to see him regain his early promise and maybe come back to us refreshed and ripping teams apart.

Castledine's performance against Blackpool was one of the best I have seen from a Stags player, he was almost untouchable.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:07 am

Rob wrote:

Castledine's performance against Blackpool was one of the best I have seen from a Stags player, he was almost untouchable.

Agreed...world class. I saw him in a reserve game against Sheff Weds I think, where he took the ball on the half way line, beat all of their team, then seemed to go back and do it all again before sticking the ball past the keeper (time may have amplified what actually happened but it was a bit like that). I think he was a bit of a home-boy, just preferred to be around his mates having a drink and playing football, rather than the discipline of being a professional footballer regardless of his talent - I used to see him in town all the time, and then playing football on a Sunday morning. Maybe a bit like Jack.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am

He was a great support worker at west Notts college to, top guy.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Excellent interview Sam.

Great quote at the end from Jack: "Adam Murray is the best manager but Coops (Richard Cooper, Development Coach) has to be the best coach. Coops is an unsung hero at the club and I am sure there will be some youth team players breaking through with him being involved with the academy."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Excellent interview Sam.

Great quote at the end from Jack: "Adam Murray is the best manager but Coops (Richard Cooper, Development Coach) has to be the best coach. Coops is an unsung hero at the club and I am sure there will be some youth team players breaking through with him being involved with the academy."

Thanks mate.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Still see Cas walking down Bath Lane towards Brunt’s. He’s been doing that for over 20 years. Didn’t he score an overhead kick at Blackpool? I’m sure it was a roasting hot day & we were standing on the open terrace in the corner.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 am

I see from Dan's photos on Facebook that Jack Thomas was playing for Basford United last night against Notts County.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Played for Billericay Town on Saturday, believe Basford Utd is to help his fitness.
Alwaysa5tag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby geoffhill » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Liam Hearn scored a lot of goals for Basford last season.Great shame he lost his way here.One of the best natural strikers I have seen.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Not questioning Stags youth set up, but i wonder if it's possible to pay for to have training with clubs higher up the leagues? It might open up their potential, plus give us feedback on what we could improve back home.

The major downside would be it's probably very costly and we could risk losing talent if their heads are turned
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum