{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released & Transferred 2018-2019

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released & Transferred 2018-2019

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:07 am

kaftanimp wrote:I'm not speaking for "our lot" though Big Yella, i'm a football fan who happens to support Lincoln City and have a vested family interest in Mansfield Town.

I didn't state anywhere about the Stags chucking money at it, in fact I said that the Stags are following the same path as Lincoln by employing sound management practice and i've previously stated that I admire what the Radfords are trying to achieve at Field Mill.

Building a training ground is paramount to helping attract future players to our respective Clubs because lets face it neither of us have a history of being able to attract decent players on a regular basis up until these past few seasons.

There are always those in any fan base who make sweeping comments (on all football sites) that generalise and simplify Clubs approaches to how they go about trying to attain success. We have only come in for this kind of chit chat since we started to have a little bit of success, and the same goes for you guys. Any Club deemed to be doing well is accused of "buying success" (like Luton were last season) by other Clubs who if the truth be known, are envious of those Clubs doing well as we both are now.

No one gave a hoot about either of our Clubs when we were languishing in the pit of despair, it's a back handed compliment that we now come in for these jibes.

I am sincerely hoping both Clubs are promoted this season so that we have at least one decent local game to attend next season. With your local neighbours in a very tricky situation, money earning games could be drifting South and that isn't good for anyone.

Anyhow, if you're going to Forest Green Rovers on Tuesday, take your own Ginsters because you won't get one there my friend posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=33794#

Well said and you make some interesting points. I'm sort of the opposite to you, a Stags fan who lives in Lincoln and works with loads of Imps fans. I do agree that Lincoln are doing things the right way, that's not a popular thing to say with some on here, but nevertheless it is true. I think what irks us is that those who do not know what JR and CR (with the help of other directors like Steve H) are doing at our club think they are short term, chuck money at it owners when the reality is very different. A quick look at the clubs fantastic training ground is testament to that and I know this is something Lincoln are doing too. I suspect there is very little between the wage budgets of our clubs. The Imps are on the crest of a wave, success in the Conference, Cups and play-offs last season and now what appears to be auto promotion this season, we are a little behind but catching up!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 am

Us and Lincoln could be twins. We're both similar sized clubs, got similar sized grounds, have been to the conference and have come back stronger for it and it's never been a better time to support either club for many many years.

We did have a thread on here about Lincoln but it seems to have tailed off. Darren used to add to it a lot as he watched a lot of Lincoln matches. Perhaps it's time to re-ignite it again (that'll please Kevin Kents tasce! :lol: ).
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:51 am

Lincoln have a big advantage over us in having no real competition on their doorstep for getting bums on seats. They also have a large student population to tap into which helps boost their gates and drive the overall prosperity of the town.

The change in Lincoln since the expansion of the Uni has been quite impressive. I work there a lot and even in the last 5 years the development around Brayford Wharf has been phenomenal.

It used to feel like a small town with a big church, now it has the vibe of a proper city.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 pm

kaftanimp wrote:With reference to Mark O'Hara from Peterborough United.

Captain Cunno wrote:He turned this move down last week.

No he didn't mate, he was told by Danny Cowley to go away and think about the move and decide whether it was right for him.

What he decided to do was come to the game against Grimsby and sat in the Co-op Stand to help him make his decision.

As for buying the League, the Club are wisely investing the money they have earned from previous Cup runs and the increased gate money they are benefitting from. They aren't being frivolous and they have also spent very wisely on a new training ground.... sound familiar to anyone ?

Sound management in my opinion, a little bit like what your own Club, with the help of the Radfords, are doing and it seems both teams are reaping the rewards.

We now have a relatively small squad of 21/22 depending on Ellis Chapman going out on loan and one potential signing to come in. Quality over quantity is the remit apparently, and I can't argue so far.

Seems like neither of our Clubs could afford Mo Eisa then, maybe he'll be in the red and white stripes of Sunderland soon and who can blame him really.

See you all on March 16th, should be an entertaining game hopefully.

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Great signing for MK.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
kaftanimp wrote:With reference to Mark O'Hara from Peterborough United.

Captain Cunno wrote:He turned this move down last week.

No he didn't mate, he was told by Danny Cowley to go away and think about the move and decide whether it was right for him.

What he decided to do was come to the game against Grimsby and sat in the Co-op Stand to help him make his decision.

As for buying the League, the Club are wisely investing the money they have earned from previous Cup runs and the increased gate money they are benefitting from. They aren't being frivolous and they have also spent very wisely on a new training ground.... sound familiar to anyone ?

Sound management in my opinion, a little bit like what your own Club, with the help of the Radfords, are doing and it seems both teams are reaping the rewards.

We now have a relatively small squad of 21/22 depending on Ellis Chapman going out on loan and one potential signing to come in. Quality over quantity is the remit apparently, and I can't argue so far.

Seems like neither of our Clubs could afford Mo Eisa then, maybe he'll be in the red and white stripes of Sunderland soon and who can blame him really.

See you all on March 16th, should be an entertaining game hopefully.

Starting to think there's a lot of truth that Evans was going to manage in China.

It's the only country with a population big enough to sustain his recruitment rate!! :lol:
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 pm

kaftanimp wrote:I'm not speaking for "our lot" though Big Yella, i'm a football fan who happens to support Lincoln City and have a vested family interest in Mansfield Town.

I didn't state anywhere about the Stags chucking money at it, in fact I said that the Stags are following the same path as Lincoln by employing sound management practice and i've previously stated that I admire what the Radfords are trying to achieve at Field Mill.

Building a training ground is paramount to helping attract future players to our respective Clubs because lets face it neither of us have a history of being able to attract decent players on a regular basis up until these past few seasons.

There are always those in any fan base who make sweeping comments (on all football sites) that generalise and simplify Clubs approaches to how they go about trying to attain success. We have only come in for this kind of chit chat since we started to have a little bit of success, and the same goes for you guys. Any Club deemed to be doing well is accused of "buying success" (like Luton were last season) by other Clubs who if the truth be known, are envious of those Clubs doing well as we both are now.

No one gave a hoot about either of our Clubs when we were languishing in the pit of despair, it's a back handed compliment that we now come in for these jibes.

I am sincerely hoping both Clubs are promoted this season so that we have at least one decent local game to attend next season. With your local neighbours in a very tricky situation, money earning games could be drifting South and that isn't good for anyone.

Anyhow, if you're going to Forest Green Rovers on Tuesday, take your own Ginsters because you won't get one there my friend posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=33794#

Personally i've nothing against Lincoln - it's almost like a rivalry trying to be invented from the void left from the Spires departing L2.

Each to their own bud - i'm more interested in how Stags get along than Lincoln, though it'd be good to both go up and get another point away next season! ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:45 am

Dan wrote:We did have a thread on here about Lincoln but it seems to have tailed off. Darren used to add to it a lot as he watched a lot of Lincoln matches. Perhaps it's time to re-ignite it again (that'll please Kevin Kents tasce! :lol: ).

Here is my thread Dan - The Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for former Stags (changed to Stags Strikers last season when the Imps had Matt Rhead, Matt Green and Ollie Palmer playing for them).

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29735

I have watched all the highlights of Lincoln's games this season as I watch all the League 2 highlights on You Tube. I have only seen Lincoln play live this season at Sincil Bank against the Stags and I watched their match away at Oldham on iFollow. I do tend to listen to BBC Radio Lincs when BBC Radio Florist are just talking about Florist (which is most of the time!) as at least they talk about League 2. I'd rather listen to how Gainsborough and Boston have gone on than Florist :lol:

The Cowleys are doing a fantastic job at Lincoln. I thought that Lincoln were dead and buried in the Conference. They had been down there 5 seasons and never finished above 13th. The Cowley's style of football is not as attractive as at Field Mill but they know how to get results when necessary. I think they do need to change though to more of a passing/possession game if they are to be given the chance to manage at a bigger club like Nathan Jones but then again a direct style worked for Sam Allardyce. It also worked for Steve Evans at Rotherham (get the ball forward quickly then press high up the pitch).

The truth is that the clubs who have the biggest budgets in the league are usually the most successful..............apart from Chesterfield and Notts County!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:52 am

That Lincoln love in thread was very cringe.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:52 am

24 January
Luke Bolton [Manchester City - Wycombe] Loan
Taylor Curran [Southend - Swindon] Undisclosed
Paul Downing [Blackburn - Doncaster] Loan
Udoka Godwin-Malife [Oxford City - Forest Green] Undisclosed
John Obi Mikel [unattached - Middlesbrough]
Mark O'Hara [Peterborough - Lincoln] Loan
James Horsfield [Scunthorpe - Dundee] Loan

25 January
Timi Elsnik [Derby - Northampton] Loan
Jordan Hallam [Sheffield United - Scunthorpe] Free
Alex Jones [Bradford - Cambridge United] Loan
Paul Smyth [QPR - Accrington] Loan
David Wheeler [QPR - MK Dons] Loan

26 January
Josh Maja [Sunderland - Bordeaux] Undisclosed
Jamie Sterry [Newcastle - Crewe] Loan
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:58 am

David wheeler is a good signing for MK
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 pm

David Wheeler played for Paul Tisdale at Exeter City. He's a bit like Danny Rose in that he's not the tallest striker but does tend to win balls in the air.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:David Wheeler played for Paul Tisdale at Exeter City. He's a bit like Danny Rose in that he's not the tallest striker but does tend to win balls in the air.

David wheelers an attacking midfielder who plays more in the James Maddison type of player.

Nothing like Danny Rose.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:29 pm

He was played as a right midfield/forward by Paul Tisdale at Exeter City. When they played Blackpool in the Play Off Final Exeter played lots of long diagonal balls towards him for him to win in the air.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:37 pm

Frequently rumoured to be coming here in the past :

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:38 am

Any news on Butcher and Anderson?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:07 am

I am Spartacus wrote:Any news on Butcher and Anderson?

Same as the official website.. no
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:55 am

Stoke have signed centre half Danny Bath.

Does this mean we will be signing Ryan Sweeney on a permanent basis ?

I hope so, as he has been a good player for us and will solve the problem over the number of loan players we currently have.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Be a great signing for Oxford that. Luton looking to replace him with Louis Moult.

Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Hylton is far better than Moult.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Dan wrote:Hylton is far better than Moult.

Hang on. We had him as a lad in what was derided as our worst ever team.

Look at his stats now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:55 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:

Hang on. We had him as a lad in what was derided as our worst ever team.

Look at his stats now.

I thought he was good when we had him too, very good on the ball but just a bit lightweight.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Moult looked fairly decent in the championship, was emphatic in Scotland.... Hylton hasn't done that and is coming to the end if it....
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Moult is a very good player. You could see his quality in his first spell with us.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum