{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A Reminder

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

A Reminder

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:48 pm

That is how I saw last night, a reminder to the days of Paul Cox. Credit to Lincoln for having their game plan and style of play down to an art form but I'm glad we don't have to endure that week in week out. It reminded me of leaving some games under Cox where we had won and I still left the ground disillusioned because it sure as hell wasn't entertaining or enjoyable to watch.

It was like having the indestructible Lee Beevers at right back and hammering the ball into the penalty box the second he crept over the half way line. Then there was the corner routine that looked more like something from a game of rugby than a football match. Neck aching hell fire.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: A Reminder

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Might not be pretty but it can be effective.

Personally I hate hoof ball.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Might not be pretty but it can be effective.

That's exactly the point Belly, it was effective and Cowley has managed to make it work not only in the conference but also in the league (rather the Gimps than us though).

On to the next one.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm

will that style of football work at higher levels when the cowleys inevitably leave though?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Said exactly this, they’re on a crest of a wave with good momentum at the minute. Also helped by a league that’s generally poor. They will only get so far before they get sussed
wayno cordiniho
First Team
First Team

Postby Stafford » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:05 pm

Was on holiday in Fuerteventura last week and got talking to a Lincoln fan. He told me there's genuine belief amongst the Gimps fans that the Cowley's will be in charge of England in the not too distant future.

Didn't speak to me again after I laughed in his face and questioned whether he was being serious.
Woke up this morning feeling fine...

First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:11 pm

There are some crazy people about Stafford.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:46 pm

The Cowleys clapped the West Stand all the way to the tunnel. Obviously wanting to come here to manage in the future.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:

That's exactly the point Belly, it was effective and Cowley has managed to make it work not only in the conference but also in the league (rather the Gimps than us though).

On to the next one.

Don't forget our 1st season back in the League with Cox wasn't too bad a finish - 11th but on same points as 9th, think only 3 or 4 goals separated us then. I think Lincoln will finish just short of the playoffs this season. Like others have said, it does get sussed out and I think it will for the Cowleys too.

Next England managers?!! More like Grimsby's...
Birminghamstag10
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:

On to the next one.

Don't forget our 1st season back in the League with Cox wasn't too bad a finish - 11th but on same points as 9th, think only 3 or 4 goals separated us then. I think Lincoln will finish just short of the playoffs this season. Like others have said, it does get sussed out and I think it will for the Cowleys too.

So why if we are such good side didn't we suss it out? We've already played em twice, Flitters has also with Swindon. How many games does it take.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Stafford wrote:Was on holiday in Fuerteventura last week and got talking to a Lincoln fan. He told me there's genuine belief amongst the Gimps fans that the Cowley's will be in charge of England in the not too distant future.

Didn't speak to me again after I laughed in his face and questioned whether he was being serious.

Remember all the chat from the Direshites about Mo ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:

On to the next one.

So why if we are such good side didn't we suss it out? We've already played em twice, Flitters has also with Swindon. How many games does it take.

have we not sussed it? we haven't lost to them in the league this season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 pm

We dealt with them a lot better at their place it has to be said. Mirfin had Rhead in his pocket, with Digby just in front. Rhead barely had a sniff at Sincil Bank and was subbed after an hour.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:01 pm

The greatest team in the Universe have struggled twice against Lincoln this season and Nathan Jones said that whoever finishes above them will get promotion.

"No flow in the game, constant free kicks, constant stoppages, pumping balls into your box, hard working side who get in your face, have to live on scraps, hard to build attacks etc"

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:

On to the next one.

4 points from 6 this season suggests at least well on the way to being sussed to me. Although Swindon only managed the 1 point so maybe Flitcroft hasnt himself yet realised the effectiveness of their direct play to Rhead. Lincoln's post Xmas drop is maybe also a sign of teams becoming wise to it.
Birminghamstag10
First Team
First Team

Postby wink68 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Reading Lincolns message board all the management movements over the couple of weeks they think clubs like Peterbero would come calling for the Cowley brothers. From what i witnessed last night they are having a laugh. Even Coxys team played more football than that. The only team to come calling will be the 80s Wimbledon one.
wink68
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:32 pm

I thought that they did a thoroughly good job at what they were good at - whatever their style might be and what people think of it.

They were certainly far better on the night than our sorry showing. What exactly was our style? Treat the ball like a grenade with the pin pulled?

I don't think we can be judgemental after a truly woeful display of panic-ball.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum