{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rabbit's in headlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Rabbit's in headlights

Postby lancer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Could not handle Rhead or their bombardment. We were playing panic football with 20 minutes to go. Could not keep any possession for more than 2 passes and dropped back ontop of Logan everytime giving Lincoln free reign to pump the ball into our box.
Our fitness levels also looked poor .
A lot to think about for Flitcroft.
Last 2 home games we have given up a lead.
We need to be mentally stronger if we are to go up automatically.
On the plus side. We didnt lose and still only 2 point off the autos.
3 points on Saturday is a must with the next 3 games after that against the 3 sides in 1st 2nd and 3rd places
COYS
lancer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Rabbit's in headlights

Postby abc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Totally overpowered. Danny Rose was finished after 60 mins, even so,if he had put Diamond on for the last 10 we would probably of taken 3 points.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby lancer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:26 pm

abc wrote:Totally overpowered. Danny Rose was finished after 60 mins, even so,if he had put Diamond on for the last 10 we would probably of taken 3 points.

That what I thought as well. We all knew what was coming so I would have took a forward off and brought Diamond on to take out the ariel threat of Rhead. In fact I would have started with Diamond.
lancer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:29 pm

abc wrote:Totally overpowered. Danny Rose was finished after 60 mins, even so,if he had put Diamond on for the last 10 we would probably of taken 3 points.

We said the same, would have put him on for the last half hour, if we could all see it
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:32 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

We said the same, would have put him on for the last half hour, if we could all see it

...why couldn't those who matter ?
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Strange tactics and thinking....I get the whole ‘hang on to the 1 goal lead’ tactic, I do t like it and not sure it ever works but to make it work at least change the personnel and formation to suit...

Diamond for one of the strikers should have happened...why have 2 strikers on the pitch but camp in your own box?

Not player bashing but why on earth are we bringing Spencer and Atkinson on when mellis and angol are available? Evans was the same but I put it down to his ‘I know best’ attitude...the 2 he brought on have offered nothing all season and same today... at least bring something different in to make the opposition work for it.

Disappointing first game for flickers in my opinion...got it wrong in many aspects
S7AGS
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

He was absolutely shot, and as anyone with half a brain could see it was an uphill battle to stay in the game for the last 20.
When the abuse of Palmer started (who incidentally I'm told lost his young cousin last week to cancer) you could set your watch to the fact he was going to have a big say in the game.
Rhead never lost a ball in the air, and didn't deserve the moronic but predictable chants about his shape.
The last two games and Swindon for me demonstrate that we are a play off side and nothing more than that, and this is not having a go at Flitcroft I must say, but we could have put two sides to bed in Lincoln and Coventry as regards catching us....and we have failed miserably, mostly due in my opinion to a lack of fortitude and intelligence, oh and that second goal.
At 1-0 I said that gladly I would have taken a point, the maddening thing is recently that sentiment is so predictable to be proved right.
He needs to exert his influence and quickly ...

On a different note the applause the Lincoln fans gave to the supporter who passed away was very touching.
As for Palmers cousin, rest in peace young man.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Diamond far better than Bennett imo get him in for god sake.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm

I thought we played exactly like Swindon did when then beat us 1-0 the other week, unfortunately Lincoln scored whereas Swindon held out.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:20 am

I think Swindon created a lot more chances than we did tonight Pete. Did we only have one header on target all night? I'm struggling to think of the Lincoln keeper making a save.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 am

lancer wrote:Could not handle Rhead or their bombardment. We were playing panic football with 20 minutes to go. Could not keep any possession for more than 2 passes and dropped back on top of Logan every time giving Lincoln free reign to pump the ball into our box. Our fitness levels also looked poor .

I'd agree with that. Rheady had a very good game. He won almost every header.

That's the second time this season at Field Mill that Lincoln have finished the stronger side.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 am

Best thread for a long time.

Someone has got to grab the players by the scruff of the neck and make them watch the video and learn, would be far more effective than trotting about the practice pitch for an hour or do at this stage of the season.

Get Diamond and Potter back in.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:05 pm

No apostrophe in rabbits.

Just saying.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:28 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Diamond far better than Bennett imo get him in for god sake.

Rhys Bennett has been playing really well and I prefer him at centre half to right back. I did notice at the Swindon away game that he had a long chat with David Flitcroft after the game. They might have known each other at Rochdale or through Keith Hill who is David Flitcroft's best mate.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 pm

I pretty well agree on all imo the above constructive posts.

Especially with all from where we sat the Lincoln fans applauding...as pointed out by Grimsy. Well done to their supporters.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Vice President » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:17 pm

If we are playing in the play-off's against the likes of Wycombe (Akinfenwa), or Lincoln (Rhead), then we need to learn from how these two players have bullied us (or more specifically Krystian Pearce). I am a big fan of Pearce - he has been excellent all season (and he has been our best central defender). However, up against these two particular beasts, I think that either Diamond's extra 'know how', or Bennett's extra height might be the best way to tackle them with this type of areal bombardment.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:27 pm

bellwhiff wrote:No apostrophe in rabbits.

Just saying.

What if the headlights belonged to the rabbit?
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Vice President wrote:If we are playing in the play-off's against the likes of Wycombe (Akinfenwa), or Lincoln (Rhead), then we need to learn from how these two players have bullied us (or more specifically Krystian Pearce). I am a big fan of Pearce - he has been excellent all season (and he has been our best central defender). However, up against these two particular beasts, I think that either Diamond's extra 'know how', or Bennett's extra height might be the best way to tackle them with this type of areal bombardment.

That is my concern VP also re playing known attacking bullies

Against Lincoln we did look lightweight...their central defenders looked in control as did their midfield as did Rheady.

Is it me but do we as a team look physically lacking and therefore give that phsylogical (sp!) edge to the opposition?
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 pm

Vice President wrote:If we are playing in the play-off's against the likes of Wycombe (Akinfenwa), or Lincoln (Rhead), then we need to learn from how these two players have bullied us (or more specifically Krystian Pearce). I am a big fan of Pearce - he has been excellent all season (and he has been our best central defender). However, up against these two particular beasts, I think that either Diamond's extra 'know how', or Bennett's extra height might be the best way to tackle them with this type of areal bombardment.

Second half at Wycombe we had him in our pockets hence the away win
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 pm

The One wrote:

Second half at Wycombe we had him in our pockets hence the away win

Begs the question then why can't we do that all the time if we are serious contenders on going up automatically?

Just a Plan B (before the game methinks) required on coping with big blokes.

A thought.....
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Foxy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:32 am

cudda shudda managed the time better in the last 5.. keeping hold of it taking it to the corner etc easier said than done i know but having just watched it again rushes of blood going for the 2nd meant we didnt see it out.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 am

Foxy wrote:cudda shudda managed the time better in the last 5.. keeping hold of it taking it to the corner etc easier said than done i know but having just watched it again rushes of blood going for the 2nd meant we didnt see it out.

Correct fox, fat one always talked about game management to run game down, i.e. Rose going other side pitch to Bish when he was about to be subbed.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Sneag wrote:

Just saying.

The word in would be wrong. ;)
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:03 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Just saying.

The word in would be wrong. ;)

Typo :lol:
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum