{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

First game under Flitcroft - what's the style of play?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

First game under Flitcroft - what's the style of play?

Postby Surfingstag1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Can't believe we conceded in the 90th minute against Lincoln...but another point is not to be sniffed at.
Couldn't make the game(living in Cornwall has it's positive and negative points!) but I'm really interested to hear how we played under our new manager
Surfingstag1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: First game under Flitcroft - what's the style of play?

Postby StagsFan83 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 pm

For me, the main difference between the team tonight and the team Evans played, was we didn't chase the ball down, with Evans we chased the ball when ever they had it tonight, and if they didn't one of the ugly sisters was down the ear hole, tonight we gave them so much time and space, and all I saw was Futcher pretend to do the butterfly stroke and our new manager stand there & watch.
Now I know not every team is as physical as Lincoln but I hope it gets better than this.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:10 pm

Not well... we were more direct at times than we've seen of late. That said he's got Logan playing it to the defence more.

We lacked quality tonight and a few lads ran out of steam.

Most disappointing for me was us letting them have free unchallenged crossed for the last 15 mins. They kept the pressure on and were worthy of the point.

Jury still out obviously but the early signs aren't anything to get excited about.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Hard to judge against Lincoln, the most physical team in the division. Unfortunately came down to their level tonight and was a scrappy affair.

Was almost a carbon copy of the game at their place earlier in the season.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Little concerned tbh . It was shocking how we constantly gave the ball away when on the attack . Thought under Evans we would be certs to go up ,not so sure now after tonight. The defence were all at sea at times.
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Very similar to Lincoln but without the ability to win headers.

We gave the ball away cheaply time and time again.
Last edited by Im not the real OND on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:18 pm

Ollie Palmer bloody Ollie Palmer for crying out loud really hard to swallow that chicken neck runner getting on the end of a knock down from shrek

Don't get any worse than that I'm afraid to say...
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 pm

Norman wrote:Little concerned tbh . It was shocking how we constantly gave the ball away when on the attack . Thought under Evans we would be certs to go up ,not so sure now after tonight. The defence were all at sea at times.

Bennetts red gives diamond a chance to get back in now though.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 pm

We were bullied but won't come up against anti football too often, not too concerned
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Hemming should have stayed on Rose was blowing out of his butt for the last 20 mins. Cj for all his effort has not got a football brain. It’s hard to judge because we will not face that Ariel bombardment again this season . They closed us down quickly when they hadn’t got the ball so we couldn’t get a passing game going IMO.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:25 pm

daddycool wrote:Hemming should have stayed on Rose was blowing out of his butt for the last 20 mins. Cj for all his effort has not got a football brain. It’s hard to judge because we will not face that Ariel bombardment again this season . They closed us down quickly when they hadn’t got the ball so we couldn’t get a passing game going IMO.

They were both knackered, both had hands on knees just before Hemmings came off. Style of play was poor tbh but we weren't exactly playing Pep-ball under Evans. Logan should have saved the goal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:We were bullied but won't come up against anti football too often, not too concerned

Stupid quote, not anti football at all. Some of the stuff they played first half was quality.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:25 pm

We were horrible. Unforgivably poor across the whole park. Couldn't keep the ball. Second to almost everything. We've stolen a point and the performance was every bit as bad as our derby day no show against the spireites.

Shocking stuff. Good night.
Last edited by DoomMerchant on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:29 pm

The only real positive I can take from that is we were flipping awful and stole a point.
On to the next one. 3 points a must on Saturday.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Flitcroft should learn quickly we aren't a long ball side.

Play long ball for the rest of the season and we've no chance of going up. Play passing football like what's served us so well all season. Leave it be, don't mess with it.

Tonight was a hideous game of football, we need to move on, a win against Colchester is a must
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 pm

I don't think we set out to play 'long ball' and i didn't notice we played that style today either.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:32 pm

abc wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:We were bullied but won't come up against anti football too often, not too concerned

Stupid quote, not anti football at all. Some of the stuff they played first half was quality.

Really, your welcome to watch that every week.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
abc wrote:

Really, your welcome to watch that every week.

I would gladly watch that first half performance from my team every week.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:35 pm

One game, he can barely remember all the players names, jeez!

Lincoln were Lincoln, long ball to Rhead scrap for the ball, that's how they got the goal. It was an ugly game and that suited Lincoln, but at times we did play some decent stuff and lots of times Logan played it out from the back. I think I might have been at a different game to some on this thread. A point was just about right, as Flitcroft said in his honest, not about me, interview on Radio Forest.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby lad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:36 pm

7 across the back all second half inviting them on to us!! Muzza's tactics hanging onto a goal lead!! Hope it's not his normal way!
You never saw us playing defensive under him that shall not be named!!
lad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm

You know it was going to be one of those nights when the management team.got to the dugouts before anyone noticed they were on the pitch keep up Alan on the PA oh n no away attendance announced either...
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Lincoln will take points off others, Rhead is unplayable at times, so a decent point and we move on !!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Rob wrote:One game, he can barely remember all the players names, jeez!

Lincoln were Lincoln, long ball to Rhead scrap for the ball, that's how they got the goal. It was an ugly game and that suited Lincoln, but at times we did play some decent stuff and lots of times Logan played it out from the back. I think I might have been at a different game to some on this thread. A point was just about right, as Flitcroft said in his honest, not about me, interview on Radio Forest.

I agree Rob. Need to see their goal again as was a long ball deep into the box, Logan should have come for it as he had ages to watch it.

Thoughts on the ref Rob as I don't usually comment but tonight I have to say he was awful
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Under Evans we didn’t beat 10 man Coventry remember so not much was different tonight imo. Both teams were poor.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:40 pm

A point is probably the right result . Lincoln are a big physical side . Although I don't like their styke of play , they have one of the best defence and midfield in the league .
I'm more disappointed with the dropped points against Coventry .

Personally I would of taken Rose of after 70 minutes . He looked so unfit . Angol should of came on instead of Spencer . Saying that I think if we had brought Diamond on with ten to go , we would of held out .
Not a great performance but another team we have taken four points off .
For anyone to have a go at the manager this early is ridiculous. . We have a few lacklustre performance under Evans . We wasn't outplayed , we were out muscled . Rheady won a awful lot in the air but we still limited their chances .
A point against a big physical team who are also chasing promotion , in a local derby and us with a new manager , isn't a bad result . We won't come up against a team like Lincoln again this season . Unless it's in the play offs .
Onwards and upwards .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum