{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Spencer

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Spencer

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Why? Why? Why?

He comes on after 5 minutes looks like he's played an hour. He barely moves or presses desite having fresh legs, this in turn leads to the team falling back and inviting pressure onto the defence.

It happens everytime he comes on, it can't just be me who thinks this? I just don'tknow what managers see in him.

The referee was also one of the worst this season.

Onwards to Saturday but a big chance missed.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Re: Spencer

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:12 pm

You missed the post starting with Spencer / Benning

Both had appalling games Benning never passed a ball to a Stags player all night....

4 points thrown away from winning positions....

Rose summed it up with his arms in the air in the 80th minute ran the full length to knock a ball down for Spencer to find him strolling out of Mansfield 18 yard box
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 pm

It's basically playing with 10 men when you bring spencer on, he's appalling.

It's a carbon copy of the Coventry game, the reason the opposition got back into the game was down to us.

Do we want promotion or not?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm

adamstag wrote:It's basically playing with 10 men when you bring spencer on, he's appalling.

It's a carbon copy of the Coventry game, the reason the opposition got back into the game was down to us.

Do we want promotion or not?

My heart sank when he was brought on. He’s just not good enough at this level . You don’t get promoted with strikers who can’t score.
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm

He is absolutely garbage - you couldn't have summed it up better yourself. Lacks energy, skill, pace, loses the ball more often than not and the team sits back as a result. We were lucky not to concede at Exeter after his introduction where he was awful and kept giving away the ball and stupid fouls and they just piled it on - the signs have been there all season.
BH_Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Jamie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Agree on Spencer. He can shield a football. That's it... Give me his wages and a few weeks to practice and get fit and i could do that.

He looked knackered 30 seconds after coming om, right when we needed energy to the end from someone.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Spencer is really poor - and possibly the worst striker I have ever seen in a Stags shirt. (Ollie Palmer used to hold that award, but at least he can score a goal - albeit usually against us!)

Seriously - Please don't pick Spencer again ..... We have three other strikers in the squad who are better. And if you want to close the game out with 20 minutes to go - then Spencer isn't the answer, because he just gives the ball back to the opposition, every time.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm

It is certainly going to difficult for Flitcroft to pick him again based on his performance tonight.
I was Kaiser Bill’s Batman
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Vice President wrote:Spencer is really poor - and possibly the worst striker I have ever seen in a Stags shirt. (Ollie Palmer used to hold that award, but at least he can score a goal - albeit usually against us!)

Seriously - Please don't pick Spencer again ..... We have three other strikers in the squad who are better. And if you want to close the game out with 20 minutes to go - then Spencer isn't the answer, because he just gives the ball back to the opposition, every time.

I wouldn't play him but to be fair he held it up a few times with good control but had no one helping him as we'd dropped so deep
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 pm

I think you are all being incredibly harsh.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby lad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:53 pm

Me too Conker!
lad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:54 pm

Conker wrote:I think you are all being incredibly harsh.

Very harsh indeed.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:54 pm

Conker wrote:I think you are all being incredibly harsh.

Completely agree, he did OK when he came on but clearly some have made their mind up, even those who weren't there! He was brought on to hold the ball up and he did that on several occasions only for a team mate to give it away - yes he isn't very mobile and I guess won't be here come the summer, but tonight there were several players worse than him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 pm

So do I. Are people really singling out Spencer for the Stagsnet treatment, after he came on and did better than the majority of that team did tonight.

His role was basically as a target for launched balls. The service to the front was crap, yet most things stuck to Spencer. Folks need to look at what went off behind the bloke; the midfield barely put a shift of any quality in.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 pm

It’s a mystery how he gets picked ahead of angol consistently

Evans was even bringing the cart horse on ahead of his new siging Miller in his last few games

Is Spencer on a contract that dictated how many games he has to play as I just don’t get it?
S7AGS
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:58 pm

No.

I agree that the rest of the team played badly, but he's offered little all season. Surely the forwards on the bench would have offered more. Or maybe if we just passed it....

If I had the chance now, I'd replace him with rhead.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:59 pm

What does he bring then?

Very easy to simply put your being harsh without a statement to back it up and encourage a debate on the subject.

Its been the same all season everytime he comes on - with the exception that he had one good game against a 9 man non league side.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:00 am

if your going to keep giving them the ball back to hoof it in to Rheady to flick on, eventually the ball will drop, that was truly painful to watch, bottom line we couldn’t handle Rheady
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:01 am

I think it suited Spencer tonight’s game, I wanted him on earlier to hold it up. Although I would of saved another sub to take Rose (very poor game) off for Angol against his former team.

King and Rose for example were way poorer than Spencer.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 am

Conker wrote:I think it suited Spencer tonight’s game, I wanted him on earlier to hold it up. Although I would of saved another sub to take Rose (very poor game) off for Angol against his former team.

Anderson had a knock, I saw him signal to the bench, so in truth with King rightly being subbed at half time, the manager only actually had one sub to make, which was Spencer for the ineffective and tired Hemmings. Angol has done absolutely nothing to warrant a place in the side and Diamond has missed a lot of football - was it really the right time to get him on? I think the right call was Spencer and he did what he was asked to do, sadly the midfield, as pointed out, didn't really do their job.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:12 am

I didn’t realise Anderson took a knock, that’s fair enough.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:14 am

Anderson is a better full back than he is a winger. He shouldn't be playing right wing for a promotion chasing team. He works hard but offers very little going forward.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:22 am

Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:I think it suited Spencer tonight’s game, I wanted him on earlier to hold it up. Although I would of saved another sub to take Rose (very poor game) off for Angol against his former team.

Anderson had a knock, I saw him signal to the bench, so in truth with King rightly being subbed at half time, the manager only actually had one sub to make, which was Spencer for the ineffective and tired Hemmings. Angol has done absolutely nothing to warrant a place in the side and Diamond has missed a lot of football - was it really the right time to get him on? I think the right call was Spencer and he did what he was asked to do, sadly the midfield, as pointed out, didn't really do their job.

Angol has scored a few goals in his brief appearances.
Sorry - you can't convince me about Spencer - I think he is useless.
But I agree, the reason why we failed to win tonight was down to several players, and the fact that we were second best all over the pitch.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:30 am

That Rhead chap looks a pretty good target man. We could do with a striker like that.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 am

I wish we had signed Ollie Palmer instead of Jimmy Spencer. He's a much better sub as he at least makes an effort to run around, chase lost causes and put defenders under pressure. That's the third time this season that I've seen him come off the subs' bench and score.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum