{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

I miss The Vic

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

I miss The Vic

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:52 am

It's sad for me that the Vic is now an Indian Restaurant (and looks quite unappealing with those pics in the window) Big games were always special beforehand when it was packed to the rafters before making your way to the game with the floodlights drawing folk in.
Now it's a trawl round to find a pub with a bit of atmosphere pre match. Sandy Pate just doesn't do it for me even though it's at the ground, and yes I hear all the 'put your money into the club' stuff, but as important is the town getting funds.
I noticed a bit of work going on round the Portland. That would be a great addition to the area, traditionally a proper pub with a real local feel to it.
I'll raise a glass to The Vic tonight and lament the loss of a great old pre match venue.

Stags 3 including a screamer from Johnny Lathan.
Lincoln 1

Nice
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: I miss The Vic

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 am

Unfortunately, at the back of The Portland the work seems to be at the building next door, Portland looks still derelict I'm afraid.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am

Agree the vic before it turned into the V bar.

Our route on a Saturday...

New Inn @ 11
Courthouse / Cornerhouse - usually one or both
Bridge
Ramme

Ground

all these depending on the game are usually full of stags
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:53 am

Mr Grimsdale wrote:It's sad for me that the Vic is now an Indian Restaurant (and looks quite unappealing with those pics in the window) Big games were always special beforehand when it was packed to the rafters before making your way to the game with the floodlights drawing folk in.
Now it's a trawl round to find a pub with a bit of atmosphere pre match. Sandy Pate just doesn't do it for me even though it's at the ground, and yes I hear all the 'put your money into the club' stuff, but as important is the town getting funds.
I noticed a bit of work going on round the Portland. That would be a great addition to the area, traditionally a proper pub with a real local feel to it.
I'll raise a glass to The Vic tonight and lament the loss of a great old pre match venue.

Stags 3 including a screamer from Johnny Lathan.
Lincoln 1

Nice

just a shame that you, and all the others that lament the loss of this pub, didnt go in more often than match days. it might still be open then.
i must admit to never caring for the place overmuch, i preferred the portland, (even before sandy took it over).
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 am

What’s happening with the Early doors these days? That would be decent if it were to open as a pub again
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 am

Could always have a pre match curry?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:16 am

The thriving Vic pre-millennium, or the nose-diving post-millennium disaster?

Albert Street is sadly dead as a drinking destination. Perhaps it's 'too far out of town' for precious legs. Shame, I agree.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:20 am

I think Radford should buy the Early Doors building. Make it a club related boozer.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:32 am

Chander Lear wrote: [url] is ON
Chander Lear wrote:Agree the vic before it turned into the V bar.

New Inn @ 11
Bridge
Ramme

Ground

Thanks a similar route we take now, went in the Swan before Newport, and there were 6 in.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 am

Like most town centre pubs its decline caused by Weatherspoon beer barns, no atmosphere etc just cheap booze.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 am

Ramme's still decent before big/local games, usually have £2 a pint and some music on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Chander Lear wrote: [url] is ON
Chander Lear wrote:Agree the vic before it turned into the V bar.

New Inn @ 11
Bridge
Ramme

Ground

Our lot wont go in there because the ale is cack in there. The beer is only good in the swan mid week.

we sometimes drop in the Green Dragon

Thanks a similar route we take now, went in the Swan before Newport, and there were 6 in.
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:45 pm

i miss the mucky duck
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:00 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:i miss the mucky duck

Ex girlfriends are being discussed on another thread Yorkie. ;) :D
Flip, flop & fly, Mansfield till I die.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:00 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I think Radford should buy the Early Doors building. Make it a club related boozer.

The Mighty Stag.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Ridge » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Railway for me - 4 ever changing, well kept, real ales. It does get rammed on a match day though.
Ridge
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Random Hero » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 pm

Ridge wrote:Railway for me - 4 ever changing, well kept, real ales. It does get rammed on a match day though.

8 people in then? :lol:
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby kyle b » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:44 pm

I'm guessing you mean the old vic and not the rammel that was the v bar. It is a massive shame to see it as an Indian. But the food is very nice
Mucky duck is now flats/bedsits and the Portland will be offices
For me it's either the bridge green dragon or white hart to go to. Cornerhouse is awful as is the ramme
kyle b
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:18 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I think Radford should buy the Early Doors building. Make it a club related boozer.

When I lived in Mansfield, the only time I saw it busy was match day and the odd Friday / Saturday night. Other days in the week, it was always dead. I guess it has the same challenges as the Sandy Pate in terms of drawing people away from their locals or the town centre pubs.
Birminghamstag10
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Derint » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:29 pm

All the pubs in town are in need of urgent refurbishment. The Wheatsheaf, Ramme, Railway, Dial, Market, New Inn etc are awful dives where none of them have seen any upgrading since the early 90's. Because of this I no longer enter the town centre before or after games. Its so unappealing.

Its shocking in all honesty.

The loss of the Vic, Black Swan, Portland, Eight Bells, White Hart, Town Mill, Village, Charters, Crown and Anchor over the past twenty years shows a lack of need for pubs in todays era, sadly.

Recently a friend of mine whom worked for the Brewery and its subsequent owners cited to me that in the early 2000's the Swan sold as many as 56,000 drinks over the weekend from 3pm Friday afternoon until 10.30 Sunday night, this once included over 24,000 bottles of lager.
Today they sell less than 8,000 drinks a WEEK including coffee and teas. What the fluff has happened.

I agree Mr Radford should buy Early Doors, but we know it would become a designated away fans pub, because Mr Gabbit-ass would commandeer it for his purposes.
Then again it could mean that our club benefits from fleecing the away support......hmmmmm, now there a thought
Exploring the world only to find all roads lead back to MANSFIELD not Rome
Martin Derint
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:40 pm

The Talbot is always before games as well.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Empty FC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Martin Derint wrote:All the pubs in town are in need of urgent refurbishment. The Wheatsheaf, Ramme, Railway, Dial, Market, New Inn etc are awful dives where none of them have seen any upgrading since the early 90's. Because of this I no longer enter the town centre before or after games. Its so unappealing.

The loss of the Vic, Black Swan, Portland, Eight Bells, White Hart, Town Mill, Village, Charters, Crown and Anchor over the past twenty years shows a lack of need for pubs in todays era, sadly.

Recently a friend of mine whom worked for the Brewery and its subsequent owners cited to me that in the early 2000's the Swan sold as many as 56,000 drinks over the weekend from 3pm Friday afternoon until 10.30 Sunday night, this once included over 24,000 bottles of lager.
Today they sell less than 8,000 drinks a WEEK including coffee and teas. What the fluff has happened.

I agree Mr Radford should buy Early Doors, but we know it would become a designated away fans pub, because Mr Gabbit-ass would commandeer it for his purposes.
Then again it could mean that our club benefits from fleecing the away support......hmmmmm, now there a thought

Then we might get the North Stand Back. :mexican_wave:
we're gunna need a bigger boat.
Empty FC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby kyle b » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Martin Derint wrote:All the pubs in town are in need of urgent refurbishment. The Wheatsheaf, Ramme, Railway, Dial, Market, New Inn etc are awful dives where none of them have seen any upgrading since the early 90's. Because of this I no longer enter the town centre before or after games. Its so unappealing.

That's possibly cos the swan is awful and the beer is vile and massively overpriced
The last time I went in it was raining outside. And it was raining just as much in the pub with all the leaks in the roof. The white hart is open again btw
kyle b
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Upper West » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:15 pm

What’s happening with the Early doors these days? That would be decent if it were to open as a pub again

I noticed a few weeks ago there was a For Sale sign on the Vhojon which presumably has now closed.

I walked past there today on my way to Field Mill and there is some work going on inside.

No idea what it is going to be.
Upper West
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sammythestag » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Evening staggies! Bringing a couple mates to watch the stags tonight however as I live quite far away and only get down on the odd occasion nowadays I am not up to date with the best boozers to go to prior to kick off! From memory the Victoria hotel used to be lively and had some fans singing etc before the game and the Talbot is a solid choice. Any recommendations for a pub with a bit of atmosphere tonight for 3 lads in their 20's?
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum