{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Scouts

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Scouts

Postby Bradders » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:34 pm

die hirsche wrote:on reflection i think benning and hamilton have massively improved.
how much of that is down to evans? i dont think a lot.

Benning, Hamilton and Rose. Bennett has improved as well.
I think that Evans and Raynor are great at bringing players on, and tactically very clever. Evans took some flak for early season results but promised much improvement in the New Year. He seemed pretty confident about that prediction, and it did indeed prove accurate. Lots of managers have signed good players and still struggled to get results, but the Stags' recent form speaks for itself.

Despite people claiming that Evans only favours players that he's signed, he did continue to play the best of Murray's signings.

Obviously not every player has improved, but if people are going to criticise managers for sometimes signing players who underperform, I suggest that they'd criticise every manager.

It seems that there's a campaign to rubbish everything that Evans did on the basis that no-one likes him so he's fair game. I prefer to say that he did a good job but left at a bad time for us and should have seen the season out. However I can understand why the opportunity at Posh was just too much to resist, and that it wasn't really going to be possible to put it on hold for a few more weeks. An apology would have been nice though.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Scouts

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:58 pm

Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:Nah that’s being unfair, knowing the players has nothing to do with it.

He’s built a fantastic squad with good money, but he’s got it very finely balanced, it’s easier said than done.

That being said tactically, Evans is nothing special at all.


As I said on another thread, 5 of the starting eleven are Murray signings - I'd say his transfer dealings have been hit and miss, we have some pretty high wage earners not playing. I'd love to see him manage a club without a big budget, I think that would show him for what he is.



I think you are letting how you feel about Evans personality sway over this.

Rob, he did a fantastic job with Crawley BEFORE the money came in, he also kept Rotherham up in the championship with one of if not the smallest budgets in the league.

These Murray signings didn’t perform under Murray, look at ‘em now. All our players are high earners pretty much he was given a budget for fantastic strength in depth and he achieved that.


Pearce, Benning and Bennett were excellent under Murray, it was at the other end of the pitch where we struggled. Evans wasn't even picking Pearce at one stage, he was also leaving Danny Rose on the bench and of course Mal went missing completely for a month or so until poor results dictated he bring him back as a better attacking option. He has left us in a decent position but nothing you wouldn't expect from any manager given the resources lavished on him, which I remind you, are the most ever afforded to any manager in our history. So yes I don't like him and maybe that does mean I am a little more harsh on him, but his success has always been down to the money he has been given by wealthy owners - Crawley included.


He made a huge mistake at the start of the season putting all the new defenders in and dropping the likes of Pearce, Bennett. If Murray was still manager, I can’t imagine he would of assembled a squad as good, and I doubt they would be performing like they have been in recent months too. Crawley used to flirt with the play-offs before the money rolled in, they might of even been part-time.

I understand why you are trying to put anything to do with Evans down, it’s a natural instinct too a lot on here because of the circumstances surrounding his departure but Steve Evans is a good manager, everything you look at points to that.

I’m not glad he’s gone either, the perfect situation would of been Peterborough not having a chance of the play-offs so we could of kept him till the season finished, let’s hope we hit the ground running so none of it matters though!
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Scouts

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Is there a point to this post regarding scouting for Mansfield?
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:48 pm
Location: Mansfield

Re: Scouts

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Conker wrote:He made a huge mistake at the start of the season putting all the new defenders in and dropping the likes of Pearce, Bennett. If Murray was still manager, I can’t imagine he would of assembled a squad as good, and I doubt they would be performing like they have been in recent months too. Crawley used to flirt with the play-offs before the money rolled in, they might of even been part-time.

I understand why you are trying to put anything to do with Evans down, it’s a natural instinct too a lot on here because of the circumstances surrounding his departure but Steve Evans is a good manager, everything you look at points to that.

I’m not glad he’s gone either, the perfect situation would of been Peterborough not having a chance of the play-offs so we could of kept him till the season finished, let’s hope we hit the ground running so none of it matters though!


It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Peterboro, he has to make do with what he has, they sit 3 points outside the play-offs with a game in hand. As for his time here, I am glad it has passed, his behaviour was an utter embarrassment, as it has been everywhere he has been. He has left us in 5th, which for me was bare minimum this season and he showed how poor tactically he was when failing to beat ten man Coventry on Sat - not the first example of his tactical weakness. Suffice to say I won't miss him and as you say lets hope we are celebrating a Flitcroft promotion :D
User avatar
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4053
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Scouts

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Much as you might hate Steve Evans - I think we would have had a better chance of being promoted if he had have stayed.
Th quandary is: If we do get promoted, then one has to concede that much of that will have been down to Evans .......... and if we don't get promoted, then there will always be the argument that we would have achieved promotion if he had have seen the season through.
Evans' case remains untouchable, to a certain extent.
I just hope that Flitcroft takes us up this season ..... and then the above argument will be academic.
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Scouts

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:29 pm

The reason I hate him and that bellthronk of a sidekick is because they didn’t stop to see the job through
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12610
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Scouts

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:45 pm

bellwhiff wrote:The reason I hate him and that bellthronk of a sidekick is because they didn’t stop to see the job through


I totally understand that. And if we don't go up this season, then I think that all Stags fans will be justifiably united in that view.
Who would have thought a few weeks ago (i.e. when we beat Newport 5-0), that Evans could quickly end up being even more unpopular than Carlton Palmer!
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Scouts

Postby sw19stag » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:51 pm

bellwhiff wrote:The reason I hate him and that bellthronk of a sidekick is because they didn’t stop to see the job through


What, you mean like Flitcroft and Futcher did at Swindon?

It all stinks.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

Re: Scouts

Postby Bradders » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Rob wrote:He has left us in 5th, which for me was bare minimum this season and he showed how poor tactically he was when failing to beat ten man Coventry on Sat -

Hmm...I think that most of us would have more than settled for being 2 points off automatic promotion with 12 games to go, bearing in mind the rebuilding of the team and the lack of luck with the strike force. I think that criticising Evans' managerial and tactical work is a bit of a red herring. Nobody sensible is saying that he's not a good football manager and coach, just like nobody is saying that Flitcroft will always get everything right.

There's some mileage in going on about his demeanor and his respect for the club, however, and if by some bizarre quirk he was offered the job again tomorrow I wouldn't be welcoming his return. But that's only because it looks like he's set up Flitcroft for a relatively easy dash for promotion and we don't need to put up with Evans to see the job completed.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Scouts

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 pm

sw19stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:The reason I hate him and that bellthronk of a sidekick is because they didn’t stop to see the job through


What, you mean like Flitcroft and Futcher did at Swindon?

It all stinks.


It’s not really that you leave, it’s also how you do it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12610
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Scouts

Postby sw19stag » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Poor week on the integrity front.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

Re: Scouts

Postby oldweststander » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:25 am

Flicroft and Futcher left Swindon because an official aporoach was made and compo paid.

Maybe he was going to be sacked anyway in the Sumner, who knows? As it turns out, Swindon have received compo and will not have to pay Flitcrofts contract up if my scenario was accurate.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dave Wayne, johnto, stagmanrob, StanstedStag, Stoney and 25 guests