{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Memorial match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Memorial match

Postby Tre Cool » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:42 am

I agree with the original post and the concensus that a tribute should be done before a selected match (or a half time) around Christmas. To get around EFLs permission to have a minute's applause the tribute shold be done without the players involvement 15mins before kick off or just before the players walk on. The players can then focus on the match. (wear arm bands)

A montage of fans that have passed over music would be my idea and fans can choose to clap or remain silent. Also a feature in the programme.

Perhaps the memorial flag in the Q block could feature on the pitch, carried by relatives of those lost with the additional names added.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:45 am

Bristolstag wrote:
stags4eva wrote:
robbingdog wrote:Does anyone know if whilst supporters are showing their respect
that during the one minutes applause, has a team ever scored?

It would be interesting to know what the fans reaction would be.
I'm sure we would all complete the one minute clap and then celebrate
the goal. Or would the respect go out of the window and everyone go mental?

Personally i think 95% would forget the applause and go mental at the goal.

I agree with whats been said above. It's becoming every game now and losing it's meaning, one game around christmas time to remember those lost in that year would be the way forward for me.

A goal is better than a bit of a clap! Hopefully my passing is celebrated with a last minute scorcher of a goal !

Too true bud, if scored in the minutes applause for fan X then Martin should put it down as a partial (Heavenly) assist from fan X in his report, especially if it took a dodgy bobble or lucky deflection somewhere along the way.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:59 am

Whereas the Roger Swain minutes applause wasn't what it ought to have been because, oddly enough, a match and its emotions were in full swing. Anxiety levels were up because Cov had scored and we weren't what we hoped we'd be. It was very much a half hearted effort around us and seemed to get in the way of the game.

Mr Swain was an afterthought as Stags tried to find a goal, and that can't really be right when it comes to the whole point. Can it?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:33 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Whereas the Roger Swain minutes applause wasn't what it ought to have been because, oddly enough, a match and its emotions were in full swing. Anxiety levels were up because Cov had scored and we weren't what we hoped we'd be. It was very much a half hearted effort around us and seemed to get in the way of the game.

Mr Swain was an afterthought as Stags tried to find a goal, and that can't really be right when it comes to the whole point. Can it?

That was my view Doomy.

And I still maintain that any reference of passing away of fans should imo be put in the next Programme where it is current and appropriate. Just feel that any families grief shouldn't be extended.

If it were up to me I wouldn't wish a game to be disrupted on my demise.

This issue needs to be addressed.

I am trying to seek a practical solution and debate on a sensitive subject.

Was fully supportive of a minutes silence for the Coventry lads loss but then there was another break for applause early on in the game, followed by another break for Roger.

......and......?

I really can't cope with this grief. Yes there are occasions when 'stuff' happens and yes I will acknowledge that.

Lets be sparing and not overriding on grief that happens

Just thoughts......
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:51 pm

The minutes applause has been devalued by over-use.
I was Kaiser Bill’s Batman
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:20 am

Another tonight well observed but its getting to be almost every week now. Too much.
The One
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum