{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Woburn Lane & Hotel Update

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Woburn Lane & Hotel Update

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:04 am

Big yella wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Rubbish Doomy, but you have an opinion and a right to it.

You could have included some of MDC"s achievements to prove how wrong Doomy was.

Oh no wait you did include all their achievements and proved him right.

Oh, come on, be fair ....

There’s the fountains in the market place in front of the old town hall.

Oh no - they’re not working!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:11 am

Don't forget the regeneration route (MARR) that's regenerated fack all
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:47 am

1700 houses are a start.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:50 am

Easy to knock Big Yella, more difficult to try and do something about it, bit like football isn't it.

Very few positive comments, mountains of negative.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:54 am

The town centre is strewn with derelict success stories. When I worked briefly as a postie we were moved from the town centre to Old Mill Lane, to pave the way for the White Hart Development.

That was about 15 years ago. The old postal depot is still there. Bravo on that one.

MDC will probably knock JR back on his hotel as it doesn't fit with their finely oiled plan.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:05 am

oldweststander wrote:1700 houses are a start.

Oh yes on what was lovely fields and already looks an eyesore, I wonder how it got through planning despite all the protests? Would it be that 1700 homes means 1700 lots of poll tax to help pay expenses and a mayor (glorified ex housewife) who's sole contribution was half hour free parking, God she's imaginative.
Silly me, I thought the MARR was built to attract big name firms etc to create jobs, it still looks empty to me after 10 years?????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:19 am

Is it anything to do with the fact we have a Labour council, independent Mayor and now a Conservative MP who always seem to be at loggerheads with each other and don't work together. This is a HONEST question not a political comment. Any thoughts OWS?
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:26 am

Tbf, the retail parks around the ground ain't too bad, or weren't last time I looked. They could have done a bit more with the old Metalbox and brewery to rejuvenate the town though.

I appreciate parts want to be preserved the way they are, but some eyesores would still be present if I borrowed HG Wells time machine.

I prefer developments with a bit of finesse and architecture to tin **** houses, but anything is better than nowt. I'm guessing those 1700 houses are a parliament ruling rather than MDC proactively increasing its stock?

Just don't ask for anything to be signed Wednesday's 3pm, as that's when the new packet of hobnobs gets opened ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:48 am

I see that the 'Site acquired for Hotel development' sign is up on the old bus station. I'd be fairly confident to say that JR's dream will stay exactly that.
I have zero confidence in MDC to be fair and just when making a decision regarding JR's application.
Why on earth are there 1700 homes being built where they are? There was a site just up the MARR road which was cleared for industrial use at least 8 years ago, roads and infrastructure all complete, it is still waiting to be occupied?
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:23 am

Mhancock1 wrote:Is it anything to do with the fact we have a Labour council, independent Mayor and now a Conservative MP who always seem to be at loggerheads with each other and don't work together. This is a HONEST question not a political comment. Any thoughts OWS?

Oh yes, I seem to recall we had a Labour MP Sir Alan Meal(e) Ticket before that who managed to do ‘Thuck Hall’ in all the time he was in except for claiming loads of expenses(allegedly) for his garden etc etc...!!! Nothing will ever change in Mansfield, it is what it is!!!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:44 am

Mhancock1 wrote:Is it anything to do with the fact we have a Labour council, independent Mayor and now a Conservative MP who always seem to be at loggerheads with each other and don't work together. This is a HONEST question not a political comment. Any thoughts OWS?

No because the MP has raspberry all input to council decision making regardless of the party he represents.

And no because for the last 20 years MDC has had an 'Independant' Council, when it did breifly have a Labour majority Mayor Egg appointed his Indie cronies to all but one cabinet posts in the Council.

So I think the Indies deserve a good 85% of the credit for the state of Mansfield.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:55 am

Sneag wrote:

No because the MP has raspberry all input to council decision making regardless of the party he represents.

And no because for the last 20 years MDC has had an 'Independant' Council, when it did breifly have a Labour majority Mayor Egg appointed his Indie cronies to all but one cabinet posts in the Council.

So I think the Indies deserve a good 85% of the credit for the state of Mansfield.

Surely the Indies are Tories just not in name.

Hoodwinked the gullible Mansfield public to vote for them as they would have not got in if they had stood in their true blue colours of Tory.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Personally Pete I just think the Indies are a bunch of political opportunists who are more interested in keeping their seats than serving their community. I think (but not sure of the ratios) that they were formed originally by members of Labour as well as Tories & laterly a few Kippers. They all seem equally inept, but the voting public have to take some responsibility for that though as turnout in local elections is abysmal.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Woodclanger, I couldn"t have put it better if I had sat there all night and thoiught about it.
The mayor mirrors the Independent council, useless, with not an idea or ambition between them.
There happy to spend Council counci tax funds regenerating other towns anld cities but allow there own to descend into dereliction!
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:24 pm

Big Al Stag, how many of them after a couple of terms in office sit back and claim the local government pension that we pay for???

Makes you wonder who serves who???
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:53 pm

You don't have a Labour council, wrong again.

White Hart developer has not got enough cash to do what was originally planned, just wants to build spartments now.

As for nice green fields, people have to live somewhere, 500 sold before they are built, 20% of 1700 will be affordable homes.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:07 pm

oldweststander wrote:You don't have a Labour council, wrong again.

White Hart developer has not got enough cash to do what was originally planned, just wants to build spartments now.

As for nice green fields, people have to live somewhere, 500 sold before they are built, 20% of 1700 will be affordable homes.

Are you drunk?

To address your points sir,

We know we don't
White what?
Are 80% unaffordable?
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:51 am

Didn't the town recieve a grant towards refurbishing Leeming St to return it to it's former (ahem) glory? Wasn't it a year ago it was announced?
Leeming St is still the same decaying soulless mess a year later.
How long does it take to get these things up and running?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:55 am

It was anounced on EMT. £1m lottery heritage grant or some such. Dirty Dicks & the old cafe are being of have been done up but I don't know if they are conncted.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 am

Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:23 am

Im getting a bit bored of this council bashing. Development wont go ahead if the developer cant get 20-30% return on their investment.

The first thing that any financial assessment starts with is the land value. If land values are low, house prices are cheap. When the cost of the build remains constant and the proffit margin is squeezed course developers will be cautious.

You cant blame the council for that. Theu should howeber be innovative and the new NPPF concentrates on delivery which might be a carrot or a big stick for MDC. One thing they will need to do is accept that their planning policies will need to be very flexible.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 am

Awc,

Sensible comments unlike Sneag.
Last edited by oldweststander on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:17 am

OWS,genuine question here. Could you please explain to me "Affordable Housing" and who benefits from it.

When they were building on Sherwood pit site, me and the Mrs went to the lady in the sales office and she got the big plan out so we could buy 'off plan' if we wanted.
I asked her what was being built in the shaded out area, affordable housing she says and of course my ears pricked up and i'll have some of that. That's not for you she says, I didn't ask why not so I'm asking now OWS as to why it doesn't apply to normal working people who need it?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:23 am

oldweststander wrote:Awc,

Sensibke comments unlike Sneag.

You mean because he agrees with you Councillor?

My remarks might not seem sensible to an intellectual giant such as yourself.

However, we don't have a Labour council, so I really have no idea what you were on about.
White Hart developments? Who are they and what are they supposed to be developing?
If 20% of the 1,700 houses are 'affordable' then it's not unreasonable to say that 80% are by default 'unaffordable' (even though I was being deliberately flippant). Seriously though what is the definition of 'affordable' in this context? What is affordable to me might be way out of the reach of a youngster stuck in a minimum wage job.

Now I may be doing our council a massive disservice but they do give the impression of a bunch of smug, complacent clowns who I wouldn't trust to run a whelk stall.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:45 am

Sneag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Awc,

Sensibke comments unlike Sneag.

You mean because he agrees with you Councillor?

My remarks might not seem sensible to an intellectual giant such as yourself.

However, we don't have a Labour council, so I really have no idea what you were on about.
White Hart developments? Who are they and what are they supposed to be developing?
If 20% of the 1,700 houses are 'affordable' then it's not unreasonable to say that 80% are by default 'unaffordable' (even though I was being deliberately flippant). Seriously though what is the definition of 'affordable' in this context? What is affordable to me might be way out of the reach of a youngster stuck in a minimum wage job.

Now I may be doing our council a massive disservice but they do give the impression of a bunch of smug, complacent clowns who I wouldn't trust to run a whelk stall.

There’s no need to fear about Mansfield whilever Mr Rickersey is involved!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum