{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lomas on Stags - Is optimism for 2017/18 an all-time high?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Lomas on Stags - Is optimism for 2017/18 an all-time high?

Postby Chadman » Mon May 08, 2017 12:04 pm

I can't remember this feeling of optimism for a season since I started watching the Stags in 1989

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-8532020
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: Lomas on Stags - Is optimism for 2017/18 an all-time hig

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Well I'd say no John. Look back 12 years from the year you began watching and we'd just won promotion to what is now the Championship. Crowds then we can only dream of now shows the interest and optimism in the town for the football club that bears its name was far far stronger than today. TV has spoilt this fervent desire with the easiness of supporting the latest 'win every week feel good club' by watching on TV and then sticking a Manure shirt on your new born baby.
It's 'cool' now to support the flash big clubs. I often say to some work mates, 'are you coming Sat to t'game'?

'No youth I wouldn't go if you paid me', while kissing their screensaver club badge of a team they've only ever seen play on TV.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Spiritater wrote:Well I'd say no John. Look back 12 years from the year you began watching and we'd just won promotion to what is now the Championship. Crowds then we can only dream of now shows the interest and optimism in the town for the football club that bears its name was far far stronger than today. TV has spoilt this fervent desire with the easiness of supporting the latest 'win every week feel good club' by watching on TV and then sticking a Manure shirt on your new born baby.
It's 'cool' now to support the flash big clubs. I often say to some work mates, 'are you coming Sat to t'game'?

'No youth I wouldn't go if you paid me', while kissing their screensaver club badge of a team they've only ever seen play on TV.

Chin up, 'tater!
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 08, 2017 1:10 pm

one thing for sure spiro we will be there, always have always will.

tell we die mi owd
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 08, 2017 2:13 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:one thing for sure spiro we will be there, always have always will.

tell we die mi owd

Getting worried about Charlie mate. Is he wavering? If so he needs to be brought down to t'Widow for a pep talk from me n old stag. Torch bearer for the future, thick and thin tell him. Stags are in your blood for life not just the good times.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Chadman » Mon May 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Spiritater - as you say that was before my time and I know for many clubs it was a golden age when you had terraces to make it more affordable for the masses and fewer alternative things to do on a Saturday afternoon. The Stags players then have also passed into legend.

Those days are well and truly gone for the game in general forever.

It's a game destroyed from what it was by all-seater stadia and over-zealous rules killing atmospheres and price hikes to exclude many people in a Britain where no one cares about you unless you have money.

But it's still a great game and a real buzz and that buzz for me right now seems as strong at Stags as it's ever been in my time. It is dangerous but I am almost expecting a successful season.

As for supporting teams out of the place you were born because you like the colour of their kit, don't get me started.

If someone supports Manchester United or Chelsea because their family is from that neck of the woods and it's in the family then fair play, even if you were born up here.

But born in Mansfield/Nottinghamshire and sat in a pub at the weekend in a randomly selected Premier League shirt you just look plain daft and miss the point of the game and the pride of where you are from.
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm a Stags fan, therefore I left any desire to have hope or expectation at the door when I chose the amber and blue ;)

Seriously though, things are massively different now to where they have been in most of my 30+ years following the Stags so it's hard to not get carried away with the thought of what could happen here. That said I will still take success as a bonus, rather than have instant demands for success. Call me easy pleased!
Birminghamstag10
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Chadman wrote:Spiritater - as you say that was before my time and I know for many clubs it was a golden age when you had terraces to make it more affordable for the masses and fewer alternative things to do on a Saturday afternoon. The Stags players then have also passed into legend.

It's a game destroyed from what it was by all-seater stadia and over-zealous rules killing atmospheres and price hikes to exclude many people in a Britain where no one cares about you unless you have money.

But it's still a great game and a real buzz and that buzz for me right now seems as strong at Stags as it's ever been in my time. It is dangerous but I am almost expecting a successful season.

As for supporting teams out of the place you were born because you like the colour of their kit, don't get me started.

If someone supports Manchester United or Chelsea because their family is from that neck of the woods and it's in the family then fair play, even if you were born up here.

But born in Mansfield/Nottinghamshire and sat in a pub at the weekend in a randomly selected Premier League shirt you just look plain daft and miss the point of the game and the pride of where you are from.

You're right Mr Lomas. It's incongruous. Just like the Chad's supposed political neutrality being prostituted by selling its front and back pages to Conservative propaganda. It would never have been allowed in my days at the Chad.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Mon May 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Edders - those adverts were on Johnstone Press papers all over the country. I doubt anybody at the Chad made the decision to allow it.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon May 08, 2017 5:22 pm

This is the most optimistic I can ever remember being about our club.

This is the least optimistic I can ever remember being about our country.

Strange days indeed!!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon May 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Chadman wrote:Spiritater - as you say that was before my time and I know for many clubs it was a golden age when you had terraces to make it more affordable for the masses and fewer alternative things to do on a Saturday afternoon. The Stags players then have also passed into legend.

Nicely summed up! I've been through all that and the experience is now inferior, even though there are some things now better. Shame that TV has ruined so much.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 08, 2017 6:06 pm

May be an age thing. But the most exciting time for me was when the late great Ian Greaves became manager. And I can't remember him saying he wasn't a forth division manager. Having said that I am more optimistic for next season than I have been for a while. But I know it isn't nailed on because the biggest budget doesn't guarantee success.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 08, 2017 7:18 pm

eggy wrote:Edders - those adverts were on Johnstone Press papers all over the country. I doubt anybody at the Chad made the decision to allow it.

Correction:

Those adverts were on the front pages of newspapers (where the publishers would allow it) in areas where the Conservatives believe they can win constituencies that have previously been Labour strongholds
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Mon May 08, 2017 7:24 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

You're right Mr Lomas. It's incongruous. Just like the Chad's supposed political neutrality being prostituted by selling its front and back pages to Conservative propaganda. It would never have been allowed in my days at the Chad.

spot on - Mr Lomas, can you please pass on to your employers that I will never click on a link you have posted, or buy a Chad ever again. Thanks
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 08, 2017 7:46 pm

I have every sympathy for John, and he's unfairly become some sort of online flogging post for all things Chad. A very decent journo working for a dog-turd publisher that will be the death of many once great titles.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon May 08, 2017 7:58 pm

I support two teams Mansfield and England.A friend of mine supports Liverpool.He has never been to Anfield has lived in Mansfield all his life and his son-in-law has made the most appearances for The Stags.He never goes to watch us.Unbelievable Jeff.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
eggy wrote:Edders - those adverts were on Johnstone Press papers all over the country. I doubt anybody at the Chad made the decision to allow it.

Correction:

Those adverts were on the front pages of newspapers (where the publishers would allow it) in areas where the Conservatives believe they can win constituencies that have previously been Labour strongholds

Yes, but my point remains that the decision won't have been made by anybody at the Chad.

Back on topic, I am extremely optimistic for next season. The chairman wants success for this club, and Evans won't accept anything less.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chadman » Tue May 09, 2017 11:09 am

Believe me I am not happy with political wraps around our paper (they are wraps and not the front and back pages), but money is tight in the newspaper world to say the least. I can say that all three main parties are doing them before poll day so it's not purely Tory promotions. I'd rather not have them at all.
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue May 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Mansfield is a main Tory target, so expect to see more of it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum