{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Gregory

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Gregory

Postby Rob » Sun May 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Scores in L2 semi. Who was the footballing genius who let him go for nothing?

You spend time bringing players through only for a rocket scientist to ruin all that work.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Re: Gregory

Postby nick_stags » Sun May 07, 2017 7:53 pm

We didn't really bring him through. Signed him, never played him, got rid.

Another victim of the Holdsworth revolving door.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun May 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and yes he has done very well since leaving. However, to be fair, he didn't look that good when he was here. And let's be honest .... at the time, how many (or who) on here, thought that we had made a great mistake when we released Gregory?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Vice President wrote:Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and yes he has done very well since leaving. However, to be fair, he didn't look that good when he was here. And let's be honest .... at the time, how many (or who) on here, thought that we had made a great mistake when we released Gregory?

There were plenty who said it was a mistake, that was my point. If you don't give them a chance you'll never know.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 07, 2017 8:13 pm

Don't get me started on our youth and young players not getting a chance to play for MTFC.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun May 07, 2017 8:54 pm

I believe we actually sold him for a laughable tiny fee.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tel » Sun May 07, 2017 9:17 pm

I'll raise you Sam Clucas.
Tel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby frt1987 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Rob wrote:Scores in L2 semi. Who was the footballing genius who let him go for nothing?

You spend time bringing players through only for a rocket scientist to ruin all that work.

Speaking of mistakes..it was the L1 semi
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun May 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Rob wrote:Scores in L2 semi. Who was the footballing genius who let him go for nothing?

I think it was many of the guys on stagsnet wasn't it Rob? :P

Tbh, I think we sometimes expect rough diamonds to be polished into 24ct gems too early. Unfortunately the pace of football and patience of fans won't allow for players to show their worth gradually, that's just how it is nowadays sadly
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 am

what you said applies to jack thomas, he is still very young and can probably improve a lot. not sure if he'll be in evans plan though
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 08, 2017 7:05 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

I think it was many of the guys on stagsnet wasn't it Rob? :P

Tbh, I think we sometimes expect rough diamonds to be polished into 24ct gems too early. Unfortunately the pace of football and patience of fans won't allow for players to show their worth gradually, that's just how it is nowadays sadly

As is the case with Whiteman, many on here saying he's lost his way and and they'd not keep him if given the chance. He's just 21, scored 7 in half a season. His potential is ENORMOUS for crying out loud if Evo could get him!!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Mon May 08, 2017 8:32 am

It's not just potential with Whiteman, you can already see his touch and vision are way beyond league 2.
You could see the same with Clucas and I would expect Whiteman to be at least a good Championship midfielder.
I doubt we can sign him but it would be immense to see him here again next season.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 am

I'm pretty sure Lee Gregory only started one game for us under Reg, away at Newport and he scored?

The rest of the time he was a substitute, whilst we had to perservere with awful strikers like Duffy and Perry.

No surprise he's got to where he has. One of the best natural finishers, you could see that from very early on at Staveley. Everyone local to me was raving about his ability to only need one chance and stick it away.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Mon May 08, 2017 11:21 am

Duffy and Perry, oh dear, I forgot all about this sparkling deadly duo!!
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon May 08, 2017 11:58 am

stagmanrob wrote:I'm pretty sure Lee Gregory only started one game for us under Reg, away at Newport and he scored?

The rest of the time he was a substitute, whilst we had to perservere with awful strikers like Duffy and Perry.

No surprise he's got to where he has. One of the best natural finishers, you could see that from very early on at Staveley. Everyone local to me was raving about his ability to only need one chance and stick it away.

I think many have forgotten the story behind Gregory and the fact that many were saying he should have been in the team and should have been given a chance. Yes it was Holdsworth, but also Holdsworths successor who failed to spot his talent - not just them, but scouts, backroom staff etc. Frankly they all let the club and its owners down. I think Jack is slightly different, he actually has played quite a few games and the jury is out - if he went on loan and did well (as Gregory clearly did) then maybe he is worth persevering with, but from what I can gather his loan spell hasn't gone well.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon May 08, 2017 1:09 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I'm pretty sure Lee Gregory only started one game for us under Reg, away at Newport and he scored?

I am pretty sure his debut was at Southport the week before the Newport game. He scored at Southport by knocking the ball over the line with his arm. His next game at Newport he was subbed at half time.

The game after he was completely dropped from the 16 man squad which we beat York 5-0 (JR's first game) and then followed that with a 4-0 win which he wasn't involved.

The only other game I think he played or even involved with was as a second half sub in the fa cup win at Halifax. As I recall he didn't play well in that game. Neither did Jamie Vardy that day for Halifax.

Looks like something went off at half time in the Newport game and never featured again apart from us getting him cup-tied that season so he couldn't play for anyone else in cup that season.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 pm

An ex Stags player, who I chat to occasionally, and was at the club the same time as Lee, told me quite a few of the players couldn't understand why Lee was never given a chance.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 pm

2 former Stags scored in yesterday's Scunthorpe vs Millwall game. Stephen Dawson scored for Scunny.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum