{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sin Bin.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Sin Bin.

Postby Spiritater » Wed May 03, 2017 6:25 pm

Interesting little interview on 5 Live earlier on.
The FA are to try out a 10 minute 'sin bin' when yellow cards are issued for dissent. Applies to all teams below step 7. This is not in place of a yellow as the yellow will still stand, but the added punishment of putting your team down to 10 men may encourage players to keep it zipped.
It comes into force at the beginning of next season in league games.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: Sin Bin.

Postby Foxy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 pm

`That will work about as well as the defender rugby tackling the striker in the box when a corner is being taken
robbingdog
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Calstag » Wed May 03, 2017 8:27 pm

I think it's a good idea, I think football has a lot to learn from rugby, as in the way the games are reffed, especially at our level, the sin bin could also be used for diving and or falling over to easy from minimal contact
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed May 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Anything that can bring football up to the disciplinary standards of Rugby Union is a good idea.
Can it work though? ..... Given the culture of football - I'm not so sure. ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Penalty shoot outs might change too. Team A then Team B twice then A twice and so on like a tie break.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:41 am

Their just ruining the beautiful game that is football. The only good change that has been made imo has been the diving ban.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu May 04, 2017 11:54 am

For regular fouls, no.

For dissent or diving, I completely agree with it.

Both need stamping out ASAP, and whether it be through sinbins or retrospective punishment, i'm all up for it
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Thu May 04, 2017 12:06 pm

Players used to have free-kicks awarded against them for ungentlemanly conduct . given to any player kicking the ball away , diving , mouthing off , time wasting and loads of other mard arse behaviour .

the other rule i would like to see being used more often is the obstruction rule . if two players are chasing the ball and the one in front stops causing the one behind to run into him then a free kick should be awarded to the chasing player . or , if the player in front goes over and the chasing player then gets possession of the ball then play on . Shielding the ball is part of the game but pulling up quickly so a player runs into you should not be regarded as a skill
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:18 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:Their just ruining the beautiful game that is football. The only good change that has been made imo has been the diving ban.

I must of missed that, Reuben Reid isn't banned is he? ;)
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:20 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:Their just ruining the beautiful game that is football. The only good change that has been made imo has been the diving ban.

It's for next season genious :shock: 8-)
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:04 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

It's for next season genious dshock: 8-)

Absolute genius :lol: :lol:
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 04, 2017 4:10 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:Players used to have free-kicks awarded against them for ungentlemanly conduct . given to any player kicking the ball away , diving , mouthing off , time wasting and loads of other mard arse behaviour .

the other rule i would like to see being used more often is the obstruction rule . if two players are chasing the ball and the one in front stops causing the one behind to run into him then a free kick should be awarded to the chasing player . or , if the player in front goes over and the chasing player then gets possession of the ball then play on . Shielding the ball is part of the game but pulling up quickly so a player runs into you should not be regarded as a skill

That's a tricky one to police though isn't it. Both running to the ball at speed, you can't amble along otherwise the guy behind you gets there first. You stop quickly to shield the ball and the guy can't stop in time on a slippery pitch and clatters into you.

Ref... 'What are you doing son stopping that fast, you'll cause an accident. The poor lad behind you has bumped his knee, it's a free kick I'm afraid and the next time you do it you're in t'book sunshine'.

Minutes later you have the refs warning in your mind as the same situation arrives and the lad behind you overtakes you cos you've dilly dallied then you clatter into him.

Ref... 'Son what are you doing tackling from behind?'

'But, but ref'.

'No son, it's a yellow for you and I'm watching you so be warned.

Towards the end of the game it happens again and you don't know which way to turn a the guy gets there again first after you've dawdled and he's able to get in a cross for the winning goal.

The fans forum later that night slates your fitness, your desire and just about everything you've ever done and says you should never play for t'club again.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Thu May 04, 2017 7:45 pm

Spiritater wrote:
one f in mansfield wrote:Players used to have free-kicks awarded against them for ungentlemanly conduct . given to any player kicking the ball away , diving , mouthing off , time wasting and loads of other mard arse behaviour .

That's a tricky one to police though isn't it. Both running to the ball at speed, you can't amble along otherwise the guy behind you gets there first. You stop quickly to shield the ball and the guy can't stop in time on a slippery pitch and clatters into you.

Ref... 'What are you doing son stopping that fast, you'll cause an accident. The poor lad behind you has bumped his knee, it's a free kick I'm afraid and the next time you do it you're in t'book sunshine'.

Minutes later you have the refs warning in your mind as the same situation arrives and the lad behind you overtakes you cos you've dilly dallied then you clatter into him.

Ref... 'Son what are you doing tackling from behind?'

'But, but ref'.

'No son, it's a yellow for you and I'm watching you so be warned.

Towards the end of the game it happens again and you don't know which way to turn a the guy gets there again first after you've dawdled and he's able to get in a cross for the winning goal.

The fans forum later that night slates your fitness, your desire and just about everything you've ever done and says you should never play for t'club again.

I am mainly thinking of the ones you see and hear then described as played for it , bought it or invited it .
Agree it is a tricky one to get right and the refs will get a lot of them wrong , but ,if players start to realise that. They will not gain a free kick simply by waiting for an opponent to run into them then maybe some will stop trying to con the refs. A bit like when Ashley Young realised there was more to the game than diving .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Fri May 05, 2017 5:45 am

Where does step 8 start. Is it NPL or below that?
Bros
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 05, 2017 8:25 am

Bros wrote:Where does step 8 start. Is it NPL or below that?

The Evo-Stik NPL is step 3, also known as the 7th tier of English football.
NPL Div 1 South is step 4, aka 8th tier.
The level that Rainworth and AFC Mansfield play is step 5, aka the 9th tier.

Step 7 where the Sin Bin is being trialled, is two levels below Rainworth and AFC Mansfield.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Fri May 05, 2017 8:40 am

Step 8 we are talking about is where club lino's run the line and you are lucky if corner flags are in place.

Oh and the teams have to remove the dog pooh off the pitch before playing.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Bros » Fri May 05, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks guys. I thought it would be further down amongst the pub teams but wasn't sure. I can just see an over weight centre half giving a ref a mouthful and then refusing to go off. Also who is going to monitor the 10 mins if he does decide to leave the field.
Bros
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

part time pete wrote:Step 8 we are talking about is where club lino's run the line and you are lucky if corner flags are in place.

Oh and the teams have to remove the dog pooh off the pitch before playing.

:lol: I refereed for a few years on a Step 7 league recently (Spartan League) and it was often the same there! I did Step 4 a few years ago and would have thought it would have been easier to introduce the sin bin at that level first rather than lower down the pyramid, at Step 4 you get as a minimum Level 5 (Senior County) referee's as Assistants so it would be much easier to administer the sin bin during a game. A referee on his own has enough on his plate without having to managed the disaffected youth who have just been sin binned!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat May 06, 2017 2:07 pm

I may end up reporting on games at the level this isat next season. I'll report back how it goes!

First though Dartford in the National League South playoffs tomorrow. No dogpoo on the pitch there!
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat May 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:I may end up reporting on games at the level this isat next season. I'll report back how it goes!

First though Dartford in the National League South playoffs tomorrow. No dogpoo on the pitch there!

Cept maybe the players.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 am

@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Tue May 09, 2017 3:02 pm

At local level in France, there is a white card for dissent which means 10 minutes on the bench. It's also often used when two players start squaring up to each other unless any blows are struck.
Stag on the Beach
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum