{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

average home league attendance

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

average home league attendance

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:35 pm

the average home league attendance was 3774.

It was the highest average attendance for the season since 2004/05.

Here are the average home league attendances for the past 40 years: http://stagsnet.net/fm/stats/Stats.html
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: average home league attendance

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Interesting, looking back makes me wonder why some on here think there's a devine right to sell out every week when we never reached anything like it. Essentially we have a core fanbase and it swells with a sniff of success which we don't sustain
wayno cordiniho
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:26 pm

Attendances up by 700 in the last 2 seasons without being in the play offs.

Imagine a full season in the top 7.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 01, 2017 1:08 am

It's only the older fans, ones that saw the crowds of the 60s and 70s that moan about today's attendances. In my lifetime, we've barely ever pushed above 4000.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Attendances up by 700 in the last 2 seasons without being in the play offs.

Imagine a full season in the top 7.

We could do with a season where he hover around the top places in the league right from the start. I'm sure if that happens, we'll be nudging 5k.
The problems with this season and the promotion season is that we've been shocking in the early periods. This has meant that the town hasn't really believed until fairly late in the day
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 01, 2017 11:23 am

I think we can more than manage 4,000 regular home fans.

It's just winning them back.

The fan base is deffo growing.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon May 01, 2017 8:31 pm

What's missing off the attached table is what division we were playing in if it was a promotion or.relegation season when the Tories in power Miners Strike Closing of textile engineering shoe company some of the big employees in Mansfield all significant to the fall in attendance... not forgetting the dark lord years abbicas lighting stadium bring redeveloped all changed what fans thought of the club n using money to fund match days.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 01, 2017 8:34 pm

SINA STAG wrote:What's missing off the attached table is what division we were playing in if it was a promotion or.relegation season when the Tories in power Miners Strike Closing of textile engineering shoe company some of the big employees in Mansfield all significant to the fall in attendance... not forgetting the dark lord years abbicas lighting stadium bring redeveloped all changed what fans thought of the club n using money to fund match days.

so about 10 more columns should cover it?
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby SINA STAG » Mon May 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:What's missing off the attached table is what division we were playing in if it was a promotion or.relegation season when the Tories in power Miners Strike Closing of textile engineering shoe company some of the big employees in Mansfield all significant to the fall in attendance... not forgetting the dark lord years abbicas lighting stadium bring redeveloped all changed what fans thought of the club n using money to fund match days.

so about 10 more columns should cover it?

Stop being picky 9 will cover it :lol:
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 am

ParisStag wrote:It's only the older fans, ones that saw the crowds of the 60s and 70s that moan about today's attendances. In my lifetime, we've barely ever pushed above 4000.

We "older fans" from the 60s and 70s are still attending regularly - home and away. We just wonder where the fans from the 80s and 90s have gone and how do we get the Millenials away from their FIFA 2017.
:coys:
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby m1cksut » Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 am

average attendance for the whole period is 3731.
so, to forestall spiritaters constant claim of "locals apathy", this season was slightly above average for the last 43 seasons.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue May 02, 2017 12:09 pm

m1cksut wrote:average attendance for the whole period is 3731.
so, to forestall spiritaters constant claim of "locals apathy", this season was slightly above average for the last 43 seasons.

So what your saying the seesaw of balance between a great season n a poor season is 3731 fans which is probably below the figures of breaking even for a season.

When you look at the average you can start to understand why the Club won't do early bird season tickets n not do a adult ticket less than £300 it would be suicide to the club financial survival
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue May 02, 2017 1:48 pm

Taking into account before November before Evans came in and fans were contemplating suicide than watch another home game where we played 9 at the back.

Attendances could very realistically be 4,000-5,000 next season with a good and sustained season
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue May 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Remember this average attendance was only achieved by giving three matches free to bandwagon jumpers.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue May 02, 2017 8:08 pm

You could also argue those who came for free then came again. So the average is because of the promotions not just inflated by them.

I agree with many others in this thread, its only older generations that seem to think we should be better supported.

Hopefully with some good signings, Evans staying and a solid start to the season we can beat it again next seasom. If we can be in with a sniff of the top 3 all season i think a 4000+ average is doable.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Tue May 02, 2017 10:15 pm

[quote="Jamie"]You could also argue those who came for free then came again. So the average is because of the promotions not just inflated by them.

I agree with many others in this thread, its only older generations that seem to think we should be better supported.

Hopefully with some good signings, Evans staying and a solid start to the season we can beat it again next season. If we can be in with a sniff of the top 3 all season i think a 4000+ average is doable.[/quote

no, i'm older generation, and i know that whatever the financial state of the town, crowds will rise and fall depending upon how successful the team is.
i would like to say it mattered how entertaining the football was, but realistically, we win consistently, the crowds increase. entertaining football is (usually) a happy by-product of a winning team.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed May 03, 2017 9:53 am

m1cksut wrote:
Jamie wrote:You could also argue those who came for free then came again. So the average is because of the promotions not just inflated by them.

Hopefully with some good signings, Evans staying and a solid start to the season we can beat it again next season. If we can be in with a sniff of the top 3 all season i think a 4000+ average is doable.[/quote

no, i'm older generation, and i know that whatever the financial state of the town, crowds will rise and fall depending upon how successful the team is.
i would like to say it mattered how entertaining the football was, but realistically, we win consistently, the crowds increase. entertaining football is (usually) a happy by-product of a winning team.

I suppose it depends on what Jamie means by older generations - the "slightly" older generations who were going in the 70's saw our lowest ever league gate in the early 80's! Most of us know all about attendances and what our natural levels are, it is the younger ones (the pesky youth + Spiro :lol: ) that need educating to the fact we are a Div 4 club and our average gates have, for the past 40 years, been between 2k and at best 5k. Play rubbish in Div 4 its 2k, sit near the top, you'll get 3-4k, get promotion could be looking at around 5k.

Anyway, I reckon you must be pushing older generation now Jamie, if in my 40's I'm older generation then you are not that far behind :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed May 03, 2017 5:02 pm

In my day, everyone wore flat caps and smoked pipes. Field Mill had less than 200 seats (BS stand) and we won every home game 7-2 in front of 15,000 spectators.

Little lads were carried over the heads of the spectators in order to get to the front, with their wooden rattles.

There was rarely trouble and if there was it was dealt with by way of a clipped ear from one of the two bobbies on duty.

No substitutes in those days, so players carried on playing with broken legs.

Just like today, the Bovril scalded your mouth.

Chad's Stan Searl was a young man in those days and the press box had just one telephone. No radio coverage. No mobile phones. No inane chanting.

Ah - happy days.
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed May 03, 2017 5:02 pm

In my day, everyone wore flat caps and smoked pipes. Field Mill had less than 200 seats (BS stand) and we won every home game 7-2 in front of 15,000 spectators.

Little lads were carried over the heads of the spectators in order to get to the front, with their wooden rattles.

There was rarely trouble and if there was it was dealt with by way of a clipped ear from one of the two bobbies on duty.

No substitutes in those days, so players carried on playing with broken legs.

Just like today, the Bovril scalded your mouth.

Chad's Stan Searl was a young man in those days and the press box had just one telephone. No radio coverage. No mobile phones. No inane chanting.

Ah - happy days.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed May 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Was everyone called Fred Elliott Edders?
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed May 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Sneag wrote:Was everyone called Fred Elliott Edders?

Fred Elliott Edders? Sounds like a right posh dude!
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed May 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Rob wrote:Anyway, I reckon you must be pushing older generation now Jamie, if in my 40's I'm older generation then you are not that far behind :lol:

Not sure 36 classes as old but certainly feels like it sometimes Rob.

By older generations i meant fans who followed us though times when the average was much higher consistently. Younger fans will only know the 01-04 years when it was a bit better but still small fry compared to 'back in the day'.

I reckon given the town and lack of affluence we do ok when things are on the up. We have the core 2500, 1000 more who come when its half decent or at least exciting (like now) another 1500+ for a big game and loads more for a final. If we went up and become a mid table L1 side for a while we'd average over 5000 easily.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum