{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Magic Tape

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Magic Tape

Postby Foxy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Well the famous magic tape was unfurled across the perimeter yesterday with 10 mins to go lest any youngsters would dare encroach upon the playing surface on the last home match of the season.

In an age when pitch invasions are widespread and celebrated on tv football programs for showing the fans passion it seems unfair that we have these measures in place that stop youngsters celebrating with their hero's. Why do we have different rules to other clubs?

And as for the steward with the mohican who took a flag off a young lad that his mum had just bought for him at the turnstyle because of "muh it's health & safety". Pathetic.

Stop discriminating against the Stags Youth :mtfc:
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Re: Magic Tape

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:12 pm

it isn't different rules Wolfie, it's just that in some cases it's impossible to stop the fans coming on.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Foxy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Okay well the rules might be the same but how they're enforced seems to be different. It feels like if the stewards had their way they'd have trenches dug out complete with sandbags and belt fed machine guns on tripods.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Foxy wrote:Okay well the rules might be the same but how they're enforced seems to be different. It feels like if the stewards had their way they'd have trenches dug out complete with sandbags and belt fed machine guns on tripods.

Thats next season Foxy
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 pm

SINA STAG wrote:
Foxy wrote:Okay well the rules might be the same but how they're enforced seems to be different. It feels like if the stewards had their way they'd have trenches dug out complete with sandbags and belt fed machine guns on tripods.

Thats next season Foxy

You're both right. Generally, the rules are same everywhere, but you're forgetting the special MTFC Stewarding Policy, Rule 13b: "All stewards must remove all common sense before putting on the hi-viz clothing"
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:45 pm

It's a real shame that that end of season ritual seems to be a thing of the past at field mill.

Has there ever been any trouble caused by it?
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:09 pm

I wonder how many went on the pitch at the sheep dip the last game of the season to congratulate their heros ? :lol:

We next season if we are promoted will not be stopped by magic tape, stewards or barriers as the stewards will be swamped. A few jobsworths may rugby tackle one or two 10 year olds to try and look the part, but after the whistle goes there'll no chance of stopping the feel good factor. Of course Al will announce if there's a pitch invasion there'll be no lap of honour to try and deter folk but a 'promotion feel good moment' should be allowed.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Spiritater wrote:I wonder how many went on the pitch at the sheep dip the last game of the season to congratulate their heros ? :lol:

We next season if we are promoted will not be stopped by magic tape, stewards or barriers as the stewards will be swamped. A few jobsworths may rugby tackle one or two 10 year olds to try and look the part, but after the whistle goes there'll no chance of stopping the feel good factor. Of course Al will announce if there's a pitch invasion there'll be no lap of honour to try and deter folk but a 'promotion feel good moment' should be allowed.

:lol: if you wear a yellow jacket your a --- :lol:
:lol: maybe they might embrace it and all join in together :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:56 pm

If there's only one steward with a mohican, then he got a (plastic) bottle smashed against his head before kick-off outside the IGS. Might have knocked a little more sense into him if he's removing flags from kids.

Hope he's ok re the bottle incident, he didn't do anything wrong at all.
Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:13 pm

How do you smash a plastic bottle? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:37 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:How do you smash a plastic bottle? :lol:

On a Mohican apparently :lol: :lol:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:45 pm

No need for that behaviour with bottles. But to take a flag off a young lad who was going to be sitting with his mum? come on now, some common sense please.

To be fair to the steward if he's been told by his boss to do that then he'd be in trouble so i can understand that. The flag stick was only like 2ft long and i think bought from the sellers on the street not official merch - but you'd be miffed if you'd just paid £6 for your boy and then not be allowed in with it.

on the other hand my advice is to stick a rubber on the end of it then you can't do any damage ;)
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby JAMES9002 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:56 am

die hirsche wrote:It's a real shame that that end of season ritual seems to be a thing of the past at field mill.

Yes a few years ago a fan and one of the mansfield coaching staff were fighting at the end of the game. Was the year torquay got relegated despite winning 3-1 and rheady was sent off.
JAMES9002
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cerfjaune » Mon May 01, 2017 3:18 am

JAMES9002 wrote:
die hirsche wrote:It's a real shame that that end of season ritual seems to be a thing of the past at field mill.

Yes a few years ago a fan and one of the mansfield coaching staff were fighting at the end of the game. Was the year torquay got relegated despite winning 3-1 and rheady was sent off.

Wasn't that the game where Shaq tore us apart? Whatever happened to that player?
cerfjaune
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 01, 2017 7:53 am

Always played well against us. The York 1-4 (with City playing with 10 men for 45mins) debacle was another. It's in there somewhere but the lad'll have to dig deep into his pockets to find it atm.

BTW what a calamity for York to slide straight through to the Conf North. Surely a club of that size should bounce straight back. It sends a shiver down my spine thinking that without Johnny and Caz we could well be in there with them now.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon May 01, 2017 9:00 am

Foxy wrote:No need for that behaviour with bottles. But to take a flag off a young lad who was going to be sitting with his mum? come on now, some common sense please.

To be fair to the steward if he's been told by his boss to do that then he'd be in trouble so i can understand that. The flag stick was only like 2ft long and i think bought from the sellers on the street not official merch - but you'd be miffed if you'd just paid £6 for your boy and then not be allowed in with it.

on the other hand my advice is to stick a rubber on the end of it then you can't do any damage ;)

That is sound advice in so many aspects of life :D

Unfortunately, stewards aren't paid to think and assess, they probably deem it as extra wages for engaging grey matter. They are used for blindly following orders without question, though cause less structural damage when chasing away biplanes up on the empire state building
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Mon May 01, 2017 9:14 am

I say smash because throw wouldn't be a hard enough word for the force this chap threw it at him, more of less point blank range too. Left a nasty looking cut
Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby SINA STAG » Mon May 01, 2017 11:15 am

Forever Optimistic wrote:

I say smash because throw wouldn't be a hard enough word for the force this chap threw it at him, more of less point blank range too. Left a nasty looking cut

Why didn't you use the word LAUNCH like a guided missile sounds better lol
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Barrel of the Best » Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 pm

It's the same everywhere.

Some stadiums require flags and banners have a fire certificate with them (Which you can order online made out of fire retardant fabric) and the pole must not exceed a certain diameter or length and must also be made from hollow plastic.

Modern Football in England. Absolutely pathetic.

Meanwhile, in Europe...
Barrel of the Best
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Barrel of the Best wrote:It's the same everywhere.

Some stadiums require flags and banners have a fire certificate with them (Which you can order online made out of fire retardant fabric) and the pole must not exceed a certain diameter or length and must also be made from hollow plastic.

Meanwhile, in Europe...

Football, like life, is about taking risks. Not reckless risk taking. Managing risk. H&S devotees believe that the best way to manage risk is to ELIMINATE risk. Eliminate risk and you eliminate reality.

So GET REAL you moronic jobsworths!
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue May 02, 2017 9:01 am

Some clubs organise on-pitch festivities after end of season matches, or actively encourage some cheery celebrations. I'm not sure why other clubs (such as ours) feel that it's one of the biggest crimes around.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby LiamJohnson » Tue May 02, 2017 9:08 am

Its the safety officer whats the problem.
LiamJohnson
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby H_o_l_l_o » Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 am

I got the impression that the stewards weren't going to do too much to stop a pitch invasion - hence the tape, rather than metal barriers like the away end. I think the disappointment in the result was what stopped it.
H_o_l_l_o
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue May 02, 2017 11:46 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Meanwhile, in Europe...

Football, like life, is about taking risks. Not reckless risk taking. Managing risk. H&S devotees believe that the best way to manage risk is to ELIMINATE risk. Eliminate risk and you eliminate reality.

Like so many things in life Edders, we try and eliminate the thought process from anything - far easier to be told exactly what to do, and not have to actually use common sense or judgement.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 02, 2017 4:18 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Meanwhile, in Europe...

Like so many things in life Edders, we try and eliminate the thought process from anything - far easier to be told exactly what to do, and not have to actually use common sense or judgement.

Sadly, that's so true! :?
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum