{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Evans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Evans

Postby ashbystag » Mon May 01, 2017 12:50 am

Benning, Bennett and Pearce, our three star out performers! The only three who could cut it in league one were all signed by Murray! He did sign some poor players but let's remember the positives!
ashbystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 01, 2017 1:09 am

ashbystag wrote:Benning, Bennett and Pearce, our three star out performers! The only three who could cut it in league one were all signed by Murray! He did sign some poor players but let's remember the positives!

Danny Rose would cut it and we haven't seen enough of Taft to judge.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 am

bigalstag wrote:Watching the football that Murray put out made you want to poke your eyes out. Fairly good footballer, but completely and absolutely useless as a manager. Just how you can criticise a manager who has got us to within a hairsbreadth of the playoffs within 5 months of coming here, and with the crap he was left, is beyond me. So people on here have very short memories.
Evans tells it like it is, and if that too much for the more delicate on here, I suggest you take up a different hobby

Its not a criticism but an observation al. I think most of us agree SE is the man to take us out IF he has the funds to do it .
However to keep coming on and having a go at someone who's been gone nearly half a year, and yes someone who produced dire teams and tactics doesn't do him any favours.
When Murray left he said he'd left a team 5 points from the play offs, that is a fact, BUT the reality of that is we weren't that far from the bottom two either. Everyone can airbrush over the facts or any situation, SE shouldn't do the same, yes be honest and straightforward yet not harp on about what's gone. We signed or loaned a lot in January, but the missing piece was a striker and he signed a few, all who have been found sadly lacking. As I said in my previous post he should get us out, by his own words he's not a League 2 manager.....come on Steve we are all behind you, show it, not talk about ambition being matched, because next year is, to use his own words a real roller coaster of a division.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 am

Keep it Simple wrote:
bigalstag wrote:Watching the football that Murray put out made you want to poke your eyes out. Fairly good footballer, but completely and absolutely useless as a manager. Just how you can criticise a manager who has got us to within a hairsbreadth of the playoffs within 5 months of coming here, and with the crap he was left, is beyond me. So people on here have very short memories.
Evans tells it like it is, and if that too much for the more delicate on here, I suggest you take up a different hobby

Its not a criticism but an observation al. I think most of us agree SE is the man to take us out IF he has the funds to do it .
However to keep coming on and having a go at someone who's been gone nearly half a year, and yes someone who produced dire teams and tactics doesn't do him any favours.
When Murray left he said he'd left a team 5 points from the play offs, that is a fact, BUT the reality of that is we weren't that far from the bottom two either. Everyone can airbrush over the facts or any situation, SE shouldn't do the same, yes be honest and straightforward yet not harp on about what's gone. We signed or loaned a lot in January, but the missing piece was a striker and he signed a few, all who have been found sadly lacking. As I said in my previous post he should get us out, by his own words he's not a League 2 manager.....come on Steve we are all behind you, show it, not talk about ambition being matched, because next year is, to use his own words a real roller coaster of a division.

Be interesting to see how many points we finish outside of the playoffs.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Mon May 01, 2017 9:28 am

I do t see him leaveing at all hes laying his position on the table pre meeting, it's going to be a very exciting pre season and although we have just fell short 7000 at home in the last match ? who saw that coming in November. COYS
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 am

Doom merchant what is your problem? You're always going on about class.

Let's look at it objectively. Murray was not up to the task. He had a weak view of how the game should be played and put out excuses for losing pre match! Clements and Chapman were shoeins every week. We were heading for the trapdoor. But thats ok because he had class?

Evans turned our season around. We flirted with the playoffs. Evans inherited some poor players. He also signed a poor player in arquinn. Never mind though because other signings have been very good. For me that includes whiteman, Byrom, Macdonald, coulthirst and kean.

To get annoyed at evans for stating that some players arent good enoxugh - when we all know theyre not, is a bit rediculous. And as for getting annoyed at evans for remarking on the recent refs decision which have cost us massively is also a bit harsh. Do people think Murray would have not blamed the ref in these situations? Why get annoyed about post match remarks that are genuine reasons for how the game panned out.

We all really wanted Murray to succeed but his signings were not excellent, and he was arrogant too; his remarks to a fan along the lines of 'what level of football have you played at again?' Is one case. Everyone is entitled to an opinion if you agree with it or not.

I think evans is a winner. He has gravitas when he speaks and is a proven successful manager. Everything he does has purpose with a view to achieve promotion. Regardless of this being for his personal gain or his ego is a moot point. All we want as stags fans is promotion. If evans achieves this and puts a few noses out of joint along the way doesn't bother me personally.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Mon May 01, 2017 12:30 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Doom merchant what is your problem? You're always going on about class.

Let's look at it objectively. Murray was not up to the task. He had a weak view of how the game should be played and put out excuses for losing pre match! Clements and Chapman were shoeins every week. We were heading for the trapdoor. But thats ok because he had class?

Evans turned our season around. We flirted with the playoffs. Evans inherited some poor players. He also signed a poor player in arquinn. Never mind though because other signings have been very good. For me that includes whiteman, Byrom, Macdonald, coulthirst and kean.

To get annoyed at evans for stating that some players arent good enoxugh - when we all know theyre not, is a bit rediculous. And as for getting annoyed at evans for remarking on the recent refs decision which have cost us massively is also a bit harsh. Do people think Murray would have not blamed the ref in these situations? Why get annoyed about post match remarks that are genuine reasons for how the game panned out.

We all really wanted Murray to succeed but his signings were not excellent, and he was arrogant too; his remarks to a fan along the lines of 'what level of football have you played at again?' Is one case. Everyone is entitled to an opinion if you agree with it or not.

I think evans is a winner. He has gravitas when he speaks and is a proven successful manager. Everything he does has purpose with a view to achieve promotion. Regardless of this being for his personal gain or his ego is a moot point. All we want as stags fans is promotion. If evans achieves this and puts a few noses out of joint along the way doesn't bother me personally.

That's pretty fair for me. SE does wear his heart on his sleeve , and one things for sure, he will give you an opinion.
Next year is going to be quite a ride.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Some people clearly only read in to comments how they want them to read. At no point have I suggested that I don't rate Evans as a manager. At no point have I suggested that Murray achieved anything as our manager. I voiced an opinion about disliking how Evans goes about himself during interviews. It is my opinion that he is an ignorant, classless guy with a unlikable personality - that isn't something that determines his managerial ability, it's just a trait that I don't like in human beings. Some people will forgive that if it gets us results.

Perhaps we're meant to cheer this surly attitude just because he's our manager? Sorry but I'd prefer decency and humility to go with ability. You can wear your heart on your sleeve without having a pop at every available target. We haven't won tight games because we haven't been good enough going forwards and ALL of our strikers have been fairly average in front of goal.

If decency is too much to ask then I'm not going to apologise for it. It's called having standards: maybe some of us have them and some of us don't?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 pm

If he got me 10 seasons in the championship before I cop my clogs, he can be Attila the Hun for all I care.
Nice guys get you blandness and mediocrity, and I've spent 45 years watching that.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 01, 2017 2:19 pm

I agree Alan, however, Evans hasn't won us anything yet.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 01, 2017 2:28 pm

and not to be a debbie downer but we arent guaranteed anything next season despite everything that has been said, im sure we will do well and i hope its a successful season but remember this is football and anything can happen. i do trust in evans to take us to league one one day!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 01, 2017 4:50 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:and not to be a debbie downer but we arent guaranteed anything next season despite everything that has been said, im sure we will do well and i hope its a successful season but remember this is football and anything can happen. i do trust in evans to take us to league one one day!
Bobby I doubt SE will be here after next season if he doesn't take us up. I think we have a good chance next season when you consider the quality of the teams going up ( I hope Luton go up in the playoffs ) and the standard of the teams coming down.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon May 01, 2017 6:21 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Some people clearly only read in to comments how they want them to read. At no point have I suggested that I don't rate Evans as a manager. At no point have I suggested that Murray achieved anything as our manager. I voiced an opinion about disliking how Evans goes about himself during interviews. It is my opinion that he is an ignorant, classless guy with a unlikable personality - that isn't something that determines his managerial ability, it's just a trait that I don't like in human beings. Some people will forgive that if it gets us results.

Perhaps we're meant to cheer this surly attitude just because he's our manager? Sorry but I'd prefer decency and humility to go with ability. You can wear your heart on your sleeve without having a pop at every available target. We haven't won tight games because we haven't been good enough going forwards and ALL of our strikers have been fairly average in front of goal.

If decency is too much to ask then I'm not going to apologise for it. It's called having standards: maybe some of us have them and some of us don't?

I will be delighted if Evans takes us out of this league and I do think he is an excellent manager, I doubt I will ever like him though. I'm with you Mark, 100%.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Mon May 01, 2017 6:31 pm

funny enough you don't have to snog the chap just cheer the team that's our job, you lot must be a blast to live with.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon May 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:There's no doubting that Steve has improved the performances injecting more urgency and desire into the team. Buts that's the least we should be expecting from the (probable) highest paid manager in the league.

Not sure that your assumptions are correct there. Evans has said in several interviews that he didn't come here for the money because he doesn't need it. I have heard from several sources that his contract has a fairly average basic salary but has high value 'success clauses' in it, which probably explains his anger when we don't win !!
Dave Wayne
First Team
First Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Why's that then Old Ram? Because we'd prefer to talk to one another using dignity? Does that make you boring? Are you only a giggle to be around, and a character, if you're busy insulting folks?....

.... Well, I could be pretty damn good at that. Easiest gig in the world to slang off people, moan, berate and call someone a ****.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Mon May 01, 2017 7:56 pm

that's what you do DM read your posts you never say anything positive about anything and you moan pal all the time.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon May 01, 2017 8:27 pm

There is no doubt some of the comments made by SE immediately after games are quite emotional .However, I think it would be difficult to argue he hasn't brought a level of professionalism that AM just didn't as evidenced by his articulate press interviews and the way the team play.

AM was a legend as a player and has made a significant contribution to the club. As a Manager I think his biggest problem was his reluctance to accept responsibility for the teams performance and learn from hIs experiences. I was at Portsmouth when we lost 4 - 0 and when I listened to AM's summary of the game I realised he had to go and he did. I think he was arrogant and it cost him his job in then end.

There is a clear parallel with George Foster - people forget what an awesome leader he was and for me memories will never be tarnished by his managerial reign

But the title of the thread is Evans not Murray and I think the club is in good hands and we will win the league next year - COYS.
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon May 01, 2017 8:58 pm

But Doom Merchant, at least evans is who he is and doesn't hide his feelings of people.

For me, Murray simply can not be defended as a man that exudes class like you think.

The case in point is where Murray allegedly attempted a mutiny and tried to cabal the squad to overthrow paul cox while cox had Murray as his assistant. Cox then rightly loaned him out and banned him from the club. This was a sly calculated manoeuvre.

I understand that you wold like so grace in defeat and some humility but using Murray as some sort of last bastion of decency is incorrect.

I think it's good that evans has no ties at the club. We needed a fresh start and next season will be just that.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 pm

old ram stag wrote:that's what you do DM read your posts you never say anything positive about anything and you moan pal all the time.

Seriously? Never say anything positive? Are you new to this forum lark or have you been reading upside down for the last couple of decades?
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 01, 2017 9:04 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
old ram stag wrote:that's what you do DM read your posts you never say anything positive about anything and you moan pal all the time.

Seriously? Never say anything positive? Are you new to this forum lark or have you been reading upside down for the last couple of decades?

Yes. To accuse Doomers of being perpetually negative is inaccurate.
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon May 01, 2017 10:32 pm

Surely 'tater holds that crown.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Tue May 02, 2017 12:39 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:There's no doubting that Steve has improved the performances injecting more urgency and desire into the team. Buts that's the least we should be expecting from the (probable) highest paid manager in the league.

Not sure that your assumptions are correct there. Evans has said in several interviews that he didn't come here for the money because he doesn't need it. I have heard from several sources that his contract has a fairly average basic salary but has high value 'success clauses' in it, which probably explains his anger when we don't win !!

In which case I stand corrected. Maybe we are getting what we paid for then! ;)
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 02, 2017 4:01 am

part time pete wrote:Surely 'tater holds that crown.

Well said pete. How dare this young upstart try to muscle in on my throne :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Tue May 02, 2017 8:11 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:But Doom Merchant, at least evans is who he is and doesn't hide his feelings of people.

For me, Murray simply can not be defended as a man that exudes class like you think.

The case in point is where Murray allegedly attempted a mutiny and tried to cabal the squad to overthrow paul cox while cox had Murray as his assistant. Cox then rightly loaned him out and banned him from the club. This was a sly calculated manoeuvre.

I understand that you wold like so grace in defeat and some humility but using Murray as some sort of last bastion of decency is incorrect.

I think it's good that evans has no ties at the club. We needed a fresh start and next season will be just that.

Well said ASC, some people have short and selective memories on here re the mutiny. He then surrounded himself by and large with assts who were grateful to be at a League club and would never question him, and who have gone back to the level they should be at. But hey ho they were 'dignified ' it's claimed.
Yes as I've said SE should look to addressing issues he has from his tenure, rather than the miserable guff that thankfully has gone.
The trouble on here with a few is that if your opinion doesn't match theirs then you basically aren't worth diddly.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum