{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Evans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Evans

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Surely its just the frustration that had we won we'd be sitting comfortable in the playoffs this evening and in the immediate aftermath of the game when passion is still running high.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkstag » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 pm

I don't think there is anything in that interview which indicates he wont be here next year

He states 1m % he will be and its encouraging he wants to re affirm ambition

And with regard to Matt - its fair to say his finishing has been appalling
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:10 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:some proper digs at murray in here! he really doesn't hold back

he is bang on about referees too, no one wants to do it, its a really hard job, but a lot of them are still not good enough at this level as we see week after week after week and they seemingly dont know the rules/and or buy into players antics... i.e reuben reid who i have seen fall over since our game to win exeter a late penalty to win the game... but what can we do about it? stick the bloody ball in the net so we dont have to rely on not getting shafted by refs

Just a personal thing as i rate the guy as a manager. Its been an enjoysble last 5 months but im sick of hearing him going on about his predecessor. That's 3 or 4 interviews now and there's no need. Murray brought in players with a budget he was given which I suspect was a lot less than Evans is working with. Oh and to balance the argument he bemoans the lack of a goalscorer in the squad he's inherited but not a mention of the solid back 4/5 he was left with.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:47 am

I am sure it's been mentioned the budget for Evans was the same in January. He has better contacts, that's the difference.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:49 am

I'm with you 100% Grendon. I love the fact that we have a proven winner as our manager but I can't pretend to like Evans. I find his continual sniping of all and sundry classless and tiresome. I look forward to next season when the excuses are less available. He'll have his own squad, he'll be backed to the hilt by Radford, probably more so than any Stags manager in living memory, there will be no excuses and nothing less than promotion will do for me after listening to him for six months.

Adam Murray gets a lot of criticism - far too much in my eyes - but he was always respectful, honest and acceptant. A class act as a bloke and a Mansfield Town legend. I accept that he didn't achieve as our manager, and if being a horrible b*stard, who slags off all comers, wins you promotions then Adam will never win owt.

Evans has done nothing yet to scrape a dent in our history as much as Murray has. I hope that in a year's time that has changed.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:50 am

Good point Grendon.
There's no need to keep blaming anyone.
Murray actually recruited fairly well on the whole it was just his in game mentality that let him down.

If I was Radford I wouldn't be too pleased with Evans spouting off about the chairman needing to match his ambition.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:57 am

Let's face it, if JR hadn't already promised Evans a load of dollar to play with he wouldn't be here. He achieved his best results in the game at Crawley and Rotherham, when he had the big warchests. He ain't daft and wouldn't risk his reputation with a mid-table budget.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:10 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I'm with you 100% Grendon. I love the fact that we have a proven winner as our manager but I can't pretend to like Evans. I find his continual sniping of all and sundry classless and tiresome. I look forward to next season when the excuses are less available. He'll have his own squad, he'll be backed to the hilt by Radford, probably more so than any Stags manager in living memory, there will be no excuses and nothing less than promotion will do for me after listening to him for six months.

Adam Murray gets a lot of criticism - far too much in my eyes - but he was always respectful, honest and acceptant. A class act as a bloke and a Mansfield Town legend. I accept that he didn't achieve as our manager, and if being a horrible b*stard, who slags off all comers, wins you promotions then Adam will never win owt.

Evans has done nothing yet to scrape a dent in our history as much as Murray has. I hope that in a year's time that has changed.

Have to agree with every word, what we need is a man with Murray's class and Evans managerial skills!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 am

I listened to the interview with interest. From my position I didn't get the idea that he was on his way.
OK, he has ambition for the club, we hope JR has too, time will tell.

On Green, he's had his time and many chances, good luck to him in the future.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:17 am

There's no doubting that Steve has improved the performances injecting more urgency and desire into the team. Buts that's the least we should be expecting from the (probable) highest paid manager in the league.

I must admit that I have been disappointed in his ability to affect a game from the sidelines. His starting line ups can be erratic and substitutes often amount to chucking an extra striker on when we are chasing the game. We have been on the edge of the playoffs for months and despite promises of 'managerial magic' we have consistently failed to make up ground. Some of that is missed chances of course but we have missed out on crucial points in big games from average passive management in my opinion. He keeps saying that he's not a league two manager but he gets out thought by quite a few of them. Not that I would say that much of that applied yesterday. We were much more positive than usual so I have no complaints other than the result.

He is a classic sound bite manager and has a habit of saying what we want to hear: offering promotion, attacking football, massive signings etc. I thought his interview yesterday was a bit snide really. Cheap digs at Green and Murray and putting in a caveat that the chairman has to match his expectations is putting pressure on the chairman to give an open cheque book. I heard that as a ready made excuse for when a better offer comes in over the summer. Why would he even mention it if he thought it was 100,000,000% :? sure?

I make no secret about not liking the man and I know I am in the minority. Although I have already said, I don't think we could have gone for a better manager if Radford wants to splash the cash. His approach to management is to basically buy the best players. Easily done when it's not your money you're playing with.
Last edited by Im not the real OND on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:51 am

tjsmith1991 wrote:I think he's just fed up at having players that can't find the net and dodgy decisions today.

Thread killer alert! :D

Fully agree mate. We've all had sh** days at the office, come home p***end off, but then go into work the day after ready to try again. Only difference is SE had a mike jabbed under his schnoz during one of those moments, otherwise he's as human as the rest of us.

Still, I suppose moments like this sells news and keep the local chippie in good supply of wrapping material ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 am

Grendon Stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:some proper digs at murray in here! he really doesn't hold back

he is bang on about referees too, no one wants to do it, its a really hard job, but a lot of them are still not good enough at this level as we see week after week after week and they seemingly dont know the rules/and or buy into players antics... i.e reuben reid who i have seen fall over since our game to win exeter a late penalty to win the game... but what can we do about it? stick the bloody ball in the net so we dont have to rely on not getting shafted by refs

Just a personal thing as i rate the guy as a manager. Its been an enjoysble last 5 months but im sick of hearing him going on about his predecessor. That's 3 or 4 interviews now and there's no need. Murray brought in players with a budget he was given which I suspect was a lot less than Evans is working with. Oh and to balance the argument he bemoans the lack of a goalscorer in the squad he's inherited but not a mention of the solid back 4/5 he was left with.

Too true bud.

And yet, no mention of the attacking options he's bought in and the fact none are freely scoring. Its a diversionary tactic to deflect from the fact his first foray into the market was flatter than Fern Cotton's airbags.

Summer is hopefully when it all comes right
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:00 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I'm with you 100% Grendon. I love the fact that we have a proven winner as our manager but I can't pretend to like Evans. I find his continual sniping of all and sundry classless and tiresome. I look forward to next season when the excuses are less available. He'll have his own squad, he'll be backed to the hilt by Radford, probably more so than any Stags manager in living memory, there will be no excuses and nothing less than promotion will do for me after listening to him for six months.

Murray is in my top 5 worst managers of MTFC , he was a cheap option and should never been allowed to mange the club. An arrogant individual as well.
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:09 am

Norman wrote:

Murray is in my top 5 worst managers of MTFC , he was a cheap option and should never been allowed to mange the club. An arrogant individual as well.

I'm having a de ja vu moment here, Normers. Haven't you said this before? :roll:
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bex » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:25 am

Here's his interview at 30:30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04zzc60
"Who's the most intelligent"
Otis-"Me,without a shadow of doubt,next question"
bex
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:28 am

bex wrote:Here's his interview at 30:30

for clarity, that is the same interview that I posted further up this thread.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:34 am

bex wrote:Here's his interview at 30:30

You can't help but admire his forthright honesty. Let's hope that the blazers at EFL don't bounce him for his referee comments.
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:42 am

Norman wrote:

Worse than Palmer, Russell, Holdsworth, Shirtliff/Watkiss, McEwan?

I'll see your rant, and raise you 1 piece of sound logic
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:46 am

A word of warning about Evans

there's a Rotherham fan in the office at work who said when he took over that Evans will get you promotion but you'll end up hating hime. He'll do a lot of moaning, sign a shed full of players of which a lot will be garbage and claim everything is someone else's fault. According to him, Evens is the reason Rotherham are in the position they are in now - promoted but a busted flush

Lets not forget that Orient, Stockport, Tranmere, Chesterfield and so on have all been small clubs with past big ambitions. We need a sensible strategy for progression
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby die hirsche » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:03 pm

I trust Radford enough to not let anyone bankrupt the club.

Evans is as mercenary as the next manager, maybe more so but after 40 years of seeing us plod around the basement divisions I'm just going to allow myself to get a bit carried away and hope that I get to see my season in Division 2.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:06 pm

die hirsche wrote:I trust Radford enough to not let anyone bankrupt the club.

Evans is as mercenary as the next manager, maybe more so but after 40 years of seeing us plod around the basement divisions I'm just going to allow myself to get a bit carried away and hope that I get to see my season in Division 2.

No problem with any of that. The club needs investment from someone that realises that it will be loss making for a while. The only way we will progress is for us to have a sustained period of success, which will slowly build the fan base

It does need to be measured though and whilst i like Evans, he needs to be kept in check
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Keep it Simple » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Waggy wrote:
die hirsche wrote:I trust Radford enough to not let anyone bankrupt the club.

No problem with any of that. The club needs investment from someone that realises that it will be loss making for a while. The only way we will progress is for us to have a sustained period of success, which will slowly build the fan base

It does need to be measured though and whilst i like Evans, he needs to be kept in check

Yes he does , and whilst criticism of others was ok at one time, for me it's a little bit wearing now.
The strikers purchased in the window have been for me a huge disappointment when it was clear that was the area most in need of a makeover and if any one of them had half succeeded we'd be in the playoffs for sure.
There is a difference in the 'two years to make it work ' theory with SE as he is so vastly experienced it shouldn't take him long, and next year is his time. I trust him to know what is needed and go and get it. With the exception of Rose every striker here needs showing the door.
It's his call now, he has to achieve what he says he will and not like politicians, blame the last administration.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Watching the football that Murray put out made you want to poke your eyes out. Fairly good footballer, but completely and absolutely useless as a manager. Just how you can criticise a manager who has got us to within a hairsbreadth of the playoffs within 5 months of coming here, and with the crap he was left, is beyond me. So people on here have very short memories.
Evans tells it like it is, and if that too much for the more delicate on here, I suggest you take up a different hobby
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 01, 2017 12:40 am

He's not going anywhere - he just seems angry. If he was leaving, he wouldn't care enough to get worked up.

Who are the players he means when he talks about the rubbish transfers in the summer? Hemmings, Hurst, Hamilton, Hoban??
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum