{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

EFL Trophy - EFL clubs meet to discuss future

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

EFL Trophy - EFL clubs meet to discuss future

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 am

Meanwhile Charlie asked Steve Evans for his thoughts on the Trophy before the game on Saturday at Doncaster. A few quotes in here:

Mansfield Town manager Steve Evans, whose team were defeated by Wycombe in the quarter-finals in front of a crowd of 2,047 - the biggest attendance of any match the Stags played in during the competition this term - said the EFL should take heed of the almost universal spectator boycott.

"The format was wrong and you can tell that when you look at football supporters around the country," Evans told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"We should never forget that it is not about teams and clubs - football is about supporters. It is very much like the theatre, you are only as good as your audience. Supporters voted in the early rounds with their feet.

"Yes, it got a little more interesting towards the semi-finals, but that is largely because there were good clubs involved for that level.

"The format has to change. We have to find a new format that delivers what they set out to deliver - a platform for youngsters to play. But no Premier League lads up against experienced players from League One and League Two, that doesn't work."

Read more at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39535369
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: EFL Trophy - EFL clubs meet to discuss future

Postby adamstag » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 am

I actually preferred it when it had 16 conference clubs in it.

Whereas I agree some will read that and think it's rubbish, I think you'd see more effort and decency from those players - in the shop window of league clubs - that a load of pussies from premiership clubs/older players who can't make it in the first team.

Either that, or keep the competition but make it an under 23 tournament with say 3 players over age?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 am

It should be a straight knockout cup competition for EFL League 1 and 2 clubs. No Premier League B Teams, U23s or group matches. I would also do away with the two leg semi-finals although I would have a replay for semi-finals ending up in a draw after extra time.

I would also throw the Premier League teams out of the League Cup.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It should be a straight knockout cup competition for EFL League 1 and 2 clubs. No Premier League B Teams, U23s or group matches. I would also do away with the two leg semi-finals although I would have a replay for semi-finals ending up in a draw after extra time.

I would also throw the Premier League teams out of the League Cup.

All Premier League teams? Seems a bit harsh.
James
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:40 am

Premier League teams are not in the "league" (EFL). The League Cup would then be a proper league cup competition and you would not need the Checkatrade/Sherpa Van/Freight Rover/Johnstone Paint Trophy.

Premier League clubs also generally just play their B teams until the later rounds. It may also make them take the FA Cup a little more seriously as that will be their main cup competition (apart from the six/seven clubs playing in Europe).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:22 pm

I have often wondered why Premiership teams play in the EFL Cup. Make it for efl teams only and then have a plate competition for first round losers. You can then do away with the Trophy
Bros
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:08 pm

I agree, let's boot out the FA Premier League boys. Trouble with that is it could well instigate a retaliatory move and them vote for a no relegation from the PL.
Anyway the TV companies wouldn't allow the PL teams not to be in EFL Cup, after all it's really them that run football nowdays.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 am

Why couldn't we change our team to give those not in the current team a go? The U21 teams could and the Premiership and Championship clubs do in the league and FA cups. One rule for all competitions.
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 09, 2017 1:35 pm

The Notts County board have ignored the fans in the vote on the Checkatrade Trophy. The offer of £20k per game offered by the Premier League to continue with the current format with B Teams was too large to turn down. Alan Hardy says County are losing £1.5 million per season.

Premier League Money 1 Fans 0

http://the72.co.uk/80571/notts-county-b ... y-b-teams/

Chesterfield have voted for a return to a straight knockout format

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/ ... -1-8534122
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue May 09, 2017 2:04 pm

It's not our problem if county are losing £1.5 m a season.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Any chance of us coming out and saying which way we've voted? See Notts and Wycombe have so far voted to carry it on.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue May 09, 2017 8:19 pm

I think I'd just scrap the trophy.

Much rather see the league cup be competed between championship - League 2.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum