{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

4 Points off the Play-offs

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

4 Points off the Play-offs

Postby Paulstag » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:59 am

We can still do this.
Carlisle and Exeter play each other last game of the season so someone has to drop points there.

Let's all go to Wycombe on Friday, sing our hearts out and see what happens.

Stop being so negative.
Paulstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: 4 Points off the Play-offs

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:21 am

Off course the play-offs are still achievable and we'd all like a visit to Wembley. But in my opinion we are nowhere near good enough for promotion but looking on other teams forums neither are the teams around us!.
BoughtonStag71
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:24 am

I like your optimism paul, but after yesterday I realised we do not have the players to compete against the top sides. you imagine some how we make the playoffs and get to Wembley. a hot day like yesterday against a footballing team like Exeter at Wembley we will be played off the park. will be like yesterday barely touch the ball, let steve get his own team for next year, that's what I'm more excited about
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:36 am

I was impressed by Donny yesterday. Comfortable and patience with the ball, in stark contrast with our hit it and hope efforts. Our defence especially with White back is sound, the rest needs lots of work. In SE and JR we trust.
BoughtonStag71
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:38 am

All boils down to our cutting edge which is simply not good enough. If we can get 6-7 points from our last 5 games we'll do well. I set that as a target for Evans a while back... to beat Muzz's 64 points. We are not a team on a late run of form, since the Accy game we've picked up 11 out of 30 points. Playoff form?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:39 am

Paulstag wrote:We can still do this.
Carlisle and Exeter play each other last game of the season so someone has to drop points there.

Let's all go to Wycombe on Friday, sing our hearts out and see what happens.

Stop being so negative.

STOP TORMENTING YOURSELF! ENJOY THE SUMMER!
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:57 am

We can compete with every other team in this division, no problem, we can dominate play, hold our own and hog the ball; until it comes to creating and converting chances, there we are as ordinary as any team in the basement - that's why we aren't already in the playoffs. It's been our Achilles heel all season long unfortunately.

This season I've seen the same performance as Donny away so many times that the doctor has put me on a strong hallucinogenic to liven things up.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:03 am

4 pointa covers 8 teams for the last 2 places. Its not over yet... We've had good streaks before and it can happen again. If we win 5/5, maybe even 4/5 we'll make it...

The fat lady isn't in the building yet.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:06 am

Jamie wrote:4 pointa covers 8 teams for the last 2 places. Its not over yet... We've had good streaks before and it can happen again. If we win 5/5, maybe even 4/5 we'll make it...

Yes it is over. We will do well to finish in the top ten.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:08 am

BoughtonStag71 wrote:I was impressed by Donny yesterday. Comfortable and patience with the ball, in stark contrast with our hit it and hope efforts. Our defence especially with White back is sound, the rest needs lots of work. In SE and JR we trust.

That's what we need to aspire to next season. I hope SE made the players watch the Doncaster players celebrating their promotion.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:16 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Jamie wrote:4 pointa covers 8 teams for the last 2 places. Its not over yet... We've had good streaks before and it can happen again. If we win 5/5, maybe even 4/5 we'll make it...

Yes it is over. We will do well to finish in the top ten.

Sorry but its not over. All is still to play for.

4 points isn't a lot when there are 15 to play for.

Lets see how we get on next weekend before we write our chances off all together. 2 wins and we'll be right back in the mix.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:59 am

the 4 teams above us all lost but the trouble is the 4 teams below us all won and Wycombe drew there match .
we need to hit a purple patch and win 4 and draw 1 and just hope its enough .
the progress we hrave made since S E and P R took over as been very good and bodes well for next season .
I and hoping he can bring in a couple of decent strikers in , now the club is on the up i think it will inviting for players to want to join the Super Stags.
Newport massive win yesterday looking burried a few weeks ago and now only 3 points of Hartlepool ,just hoping they can do it and send that Nathen thomas down the trap door :lol: :mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:29 am

Win at Wycombe and it's right back on. The Luton game will then be huge. Lose at Wycombe and it will be over.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:36 am

We're 18th in the form table - 11pts in the last ten games. If anyone's seen anything to suggest that we'll get 13pts from five games (4 of which against sides above us) then I've missed it.

We had a 6 week purple patch, where we took 19pts from seven games.
In the other thirty-four games we've managed a paltry 38pts (1.11pts per game). This team, although an improvement on its pre-New Year incarnation, isn't good enough to consider promotion contention.

I personally don't think we'll match last seasons 64pts, which would be a disappointment.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Before kick off yesterday I thought anything other than a win would mean our season was over and at full time I thought that was it. However, I also expected to be six points off the pace. There is no single team that seems to be cementing those last two play offs spots, everyone is choking. Looking at the table it's fair to say we are still very much in the mix and the must win scenario has rolled over to the Wycombe game.

What I have to say is John Coleman at Accrington has done a sensasational job again.

It's already been a roller coaster let's see how much longer we can ride it for this year.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Our form since Jan 1st has been promotion form, as stated elsewhere, however since the Hartlepool game (after which I believe we were in the play offs) that form is lower mid table at best. I've not seen enough from us as an attacking unit to suggest we're realistic play offs candidates.
Rigsby
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby london amber stag » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Win at Wycombe and things become interesting again as Luton do not have a good record at the Mill. It is going to be another vital game on Friday where our strikers need to deliver and we need a little bit of luck.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:12 pm

There is always one team who goes on a good run and sneaks in. That team
Is Accrington this year - hopefully we can build for next year.
stagsfan6493
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:15 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:There is always one team who goes on a good run and sneaks in. That team
Is Accrington this year - hopefully we can build for next year.

I would take a look at Shay McCartan and Billy Kee again. McCartan is deadly at free kicks and Kee gave benning a right run around when he played in the 4-4 draw
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum