{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Gabbitas Gate -Closed 1PM + F/T for 20 minutes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Gabbitas Gate - F/T closed 20 minutes All Home Mat

Postby sw19stag » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 am

His final home game, his last game is next week at Northampton.
According to Carl.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:07 am

Albanese Alley
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:36 pm

Feature in Saturday's programme

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stag95 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Get the bloody gate back open when he’s gone.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Stag95 wrote:Get the bloody gate back open when he’s gone.

Do you really still think it was his decision ???
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Johnny H wrote:

Unless you tell us whose decision it was what are we to think?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Dan wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

Constables don't give orders, they follow them.

All Gabbitas does is relay the messages coming from his bosses.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Sneag wrote:
Dan wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

I know that. I'm asking for the name of the plank who made the ridiculous decision in the first place. And that photo of him posing & laughing at the gate is taking the piss.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Sneag wrote:
Dan wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

I think you will find that constables make most of the decisions or at least have an influence in regard to them. Bosses don't trouble themselves with trivia and most of them can't make a decision in the first place.

In practical matters the constable rules while the bosses sit in the dream factory. Granted they take the credit when things go well but they have a big rubber stamp to endorse action taken by lowly bobbies. As the saying goes, 'don't bring me problems, bring me solutions'. Any Bobby worth his salt gets what he wants when he goes for a decision.

Enjoy retirement Carl and be assured some of us appreciate your efforts even if some of them appear a bit strange at times.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Dan wrote:
And that photo of him posing & laughing at the gate is taking the piss.

Another cynic would probably say THE PHOTOGRAPHER manipulated him to pose like that in order to sell his prints... No it isn't a pleasant comment to make is it Dan?
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Uncle wrote:
Dan wrote:

Another cynic would probably say THE PHOTOGRAPHER manipulated him to pose like that in order to sell his prints... No it isn't a pleasant comment to make is it Dan?

Its nothing to do with selling prints, its laughing about the "Gabbitas Gate" which if you're in the West Stand can be the difference between catching a train 10 minutes after the final whistle or having to wait another hour.

He should take the gate with him as his retirement present.

No common sense whatsoever!!!!
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 pm

Uncle wrote:
Dan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: considering it was taken by one of his colleagues I highly doubt it and who would want to buy it anyway? Not a very bright comment to make was it just to get a dig in at me :roll:

We all know why that photo was taken, so that lot can continue laughing & taking the piss out of the fans and OUR club which they've been doing for years. If we look at the legacy Gabbitas has left behind it's not a very good one is it? Moving us out of OUR North Stand, pissing about with fixtures against teams within a 90 mile(!) radius, costing the club hundreds of thousands of pounds for loads of coppers to be standing in the North Stand with 20 Histon fans watching the game when people are getting raped/burgled/stabbed/mugged a few streets away. I could go on. I hope Gabbitas is proud of what he's 'achieved' because I know a couple of his colleagues who are glad to see the back of him as well as a few people at the club too.
Last edited by Dan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:
Uncle wrote:
Dan wrote:

Its nothing to do with selling prints, its laughing about the "Gabbitas Gate" which if you're in the West Stand can be the difference between catching a train 10 minutes after the final whistle or having to wait another hour.

He should take the gate with him as his retirement present.

No common sense whatsoever!!!!

Well said mate, it's as clear as day that it's a complete piss take. They just laugh at us because they know the club will just go along with everything they say.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 am

Have you thought the gate actually saves the club money?

If it weren't there you would have to pay a line of stewards/police to stand there instead.

That corner has been a clash point ever since I started going to the ground in the 60's. There was always two police horses on the corner and a number of foot officers as well, not to mention dogs.

No-one likes the gate but it does save problems on occasions. I conceed it is not needed most of the time but as always, idiots spoil it for the majority of fans by not knowing how to behave themselves (and I'm not talking about the police/stewards)
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:41 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Have you thought the gate actually saves the club money?

If it weren't there you would have to pay a line of stewards/police to stand there instead.

That corner has been a clash point ever since I started going to the ground in the 60's. There was always two police horses on the corner and a number of foot officers as well, not to mention dogs.

No-one likes the gate but it does save problems on occasions. I conceed it is not needed most of the time but as always, idiots spoil it for the majority of fans by not knowing how to behave themselves (and I'm not talking about the police/stewards)

Preventing supporters access by using gates is a 1980's style policing mentality, when law abiding supporters were herded around like animals just because they were going to a football match.

If you treat supporters with contempt and put barriers in their way you can actually cause division and conflict.

Stags have an average attendance of less than 5,000.
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:47 am

Put away fans in the QLE. Open the gate. Job's a good un. All local public transport and most of the car parks in town are off in that direction anyway.

While they're at it, shut the staff park pak gate post match to steer home fans away from QLE & hold any large away following back 5/10 minutes, just like they do all over the country. Notts plod make their own problems.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:58 am

KirkbyStag2 wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Have you thought the gate actually saves the club money?

Preventing supporters access by using gates is a 1980's style policing mentality, when law abiding supporters were herded around like animals just because they were going to a football match.

If you treat supporters with contempt and put barriers in their way you can actually cause division and conflict.

Stags have an average attendance of less than 5,000.

This gate is not inside the ground, it's outside.

I hardly think it causes fans to run down Quarry Lanw, along Belvedere Street and back up through the retail park to conflict with opposition fans. Most would be on their knees before they got there not to mention the opposition would be half way home.

The only alternative is to pay extra stewards/police which would cause conflict when fans insisted on pushing through.

Let's be honest, the gate is not the root cause of the problem, it's the people who can't go to a match without wanting to fight and disrupt the pleasure of other fans. Get rid of them and there would be no problems with which way you walk or what time matches kick off.

Please don't tell me we don't have that type of fan as you only have to go to County, Licoln, Grimsby etc to see the drunks crawl out of the woodwork and start gobbling off. They even fight amongst themselves over nothing.

Maybe if people learnt how to behave we would see more opposition fans in Sandy's putting money into the club after a game. The gate does stop that income stream unfortunately.

As for it being 70's thinking, when the yobs stop 70's behaviour maybe things will change. Yes it started before the 80's and most stadioms were adapted before then.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:00 am

Sneag wrote:Put away fans in the QLE. Open the gate. Job's a good un. All local public transport and most of the car parks in town are off in that direction anyway.

While they're at it, shut the staff park pak gate post match to steer home fans away from QLE & hold any large away following back 5/10 minutes, just like they do all over the country. Notts plod make their own problems.

I agree, though alternatively the idiot minority could learn to behave themselves and none of these measures would be needed at all.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagtastic1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:10 am

Sneag wrote:Put away fans in the QLE. Open the gate. Job's a good un. All local public transport and most of the car parks in town are off in that direction anyway.

I am sure that Mr Radford, his fellow directors and the players would appreciate hoards of disgruntled away fans locked in with their nice shiny cars.
stagtastic1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:39 am

stagtastic1 wrote:

I am sure that Mr Radford, his fellow directors and the players would appreciate hoards of disgruntled away fans locked in with their nice shiny cars.

They're going to have to park elsewhere once the hotel is built. ;)

There is a big area over by the 5 a side court that could be a new staff car park. TBH I've always thought the raspberries who start driving out from behind the QLE when people are trying to walk through, (often with kids in tow) are a frigging menace on matchdays, as are the pick up squad that park on Quarry Lane.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Sneag wrote:
stagtastic1 wrote:

There is a big area over by the 5 a side court that could be a new staff car park. TBH I've always thought the raspberries who start driving out from behind the QLE when people are trying to walk through, (often with kids in tow) are a frigging menace on matchdays, as are the pick up squad that park on Quarry Lane.

Well said Sneag. Ironically it’s this area that the police should be in, holding cars back, making sure it’s safe for pedestrians & moving people along who are causing a problem, not standing by a gate for 20 minutes doing naff all.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:25 pm

Dan wrote:
Sneag wrote:
stagtastic1 wrote:

Well said Sneag. Ironically it’s this area that the police should be in, holding cars back, making sure it’s safe for pedestrians & moving people along who are causing a problem, not standing by a gate for 20 minutes doing naff all.

Indeed I echo your comments as well Sneag. The folk that sit in their cars waiting to pick people up need moving on. To be honest I would feel decidedly uncomfortable sat there with hordes of folk teeming by.....I guess laziness and a reluctance to walk any distance for some these days trump anything else, and yes Dan the police would be better employed doing this because it is a flashpoint for sure.
What happened to the cones that used to be put out there?
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Why can't they build a new gate going from the gates to the north stand so away fans have to go down that walkway behind the Lord street houses? Position cctv down there that covers the walkway (and not the houses and gardens) that way the gate can be removed. Police can be stationed along the way and at the bottom to escort away fans to the buses/trains.

Or is that too simple of a solution?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:23 am

I would have thought putting up a fence on other people’s land a bit tricky.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 am

Far to sensible Sneag so they won’t do that!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum