{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Gabbitas Gate -Closed 1PM + F/T for 20 minutes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Gabbitas Gate - F/T closed 20 minutes All Home Mat

Postby adsstag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Does this mean we require less police within the ground - therefore a cost saving for the club? Or Shell we still have 50 plus coppers stood in the corner in case anyone parachutes from the west stand upper.....
adsstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnny H » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Maybe this is a club decision.....afterall it was their decision to put he gate and the fence in !!
JUST SAYING !!!!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:30 pm

Johnny H wrote:Maybe this is a club decision.....afterall it was their decision to put he gate and the fence in !!
JUST SAYING !!!!

Ohhh controversial :lol:

To be fair on PC Gabbitas, he's a PC, I suspect the decisions are being made at a higher payband. He just gets to relay the message on twatter.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Sneag wrote:
Johnny H wrote:Maybe this is a club decision.....afterall it was their decision to put he gate and the fence in !!
JUST SAYING !!!!

To be fair on PC Gabbitas, he's a PC, I suspect the decisions are being made at a higher payband. He just gets to relay the message on twatter.

Hallelujah !!!
Always knew you had some knowledge and common sense Stu !!!!!!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 pm

And to be fair......the Twitter message was off the club, not Pc Gabbitas
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Stop supporters right of way to safe money .
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Been a stags fan 50 yrs and it’s harder each season to go to a game.. can’t pay on the day. Have to walk all the way around ground. Kick off times change if and when the police decide. Retail parks everywhere waiting to clamp you.. I agree moving with the times but now I live in Worksop it’s not good value for 4th level of football with all the obstacles ..I still come to games but my son who is twenty is losing interest more and more and now prefers away games..
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Johnny H wrote:And to be fair......the Twitter message was off the club, not Pc Gabbitas

The club tweet about change of kick of times too but it ain't their decision!!!!
Stop being your mates mouthpiece, we are not all stupid and fall for your hiding behind the club.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Johnny H wrote:
Sneag wrote:
JUST SAYING !!!!

Hallelujah !!!
Always knew you had some knowledge and common sense Stu !!!!!!

"This decision has been taken following discussions with Nottinghamshire Police in an aim to help the club keep policing costs to a minimum during the season."

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018 ... tand-gate/
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Having seen a number of Stags fans in the home shirt, maybe a size too small, I think the extra few hundred yard walk will do them good. I do love this thread though, for years we were genuinely concerned that there would be no MTFC at all, now the major gripe is a gate being closed.

I will, and always will, support our Police forces - whilst I appreciate this is not the popular view amongst the youf (and Dan ;) ), they might make the odd mistake, but we would be royally screwed without them.

So fatties, get walking :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:23 am

CassellsCap wrote:Been a stags fan 50 yrs and it’s harder each season to go to a game.. can’t pay on the day. Have to walk all the way around ground. Kick off times change if and when the police decide. Retail parks everywhere waiting to clamp you.. I agree moving with the times but now I live in Worksop it’s not good value for 4th level of football with all the obstacles ..I still come to games but my son who is twenty is losing interest more and more and now prefers away games..

There's parking not far from the ground on Baum's Lane. Short walk to Quarry Lane and easy access to the ground. You can pay on the day. Kick off times are advertised well in advance (assume any local game is 1pm).

If you want to come, it really only takes minimal research and planning to make it easy.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:41 am

Rob wrote:Having seen a number of Stags fans in the home shirt, maybe a size too small, I think the extra few hundred yard walk will do them good. I do love this thread though, for years we were genuinely concerned that there would be no MTFC at all, now the major gripe is a gate being closed.

I will, and always will, support our Police forces - whilst I appreciate this is not the popular view amongst the youf (and Dan ;) ), they might make the odd mistake, but we would be royally screwed without them.

Yeah same goes for those elderly raspberry and the lazy blueberries with mobility issues and all those despicable raspberries that don't arrive by private car.

I'll support the police in most things, but the crowd control at Stags is sooooo wrong it's beyond the pale.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:59 am

i used the gate all the time and it was apparent how many many people were waiting in the retail car park to pick partners & family up.

So do the police and club think they wait there while they walk round.

It will simply send the problem on to Quarry lane with cars waiting to pick family up.

Well thought out .

Can we afford to police that
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am

Whatever anyone thinks of how the away fans are policed at the North Stand / West Stand junction, whatever anyone thinks of PC Gabitas, no matter how much people dig into the County Council Archives about rights of way and no matter how many nights caffeine fuelled keyboard warriors are up until late venting their spleen we cannot escape one rather amusing fact.

PC Carl Gabitas is now locked, possibly forever, inextricably into Mansfield Town Folklore. Man Utd have Sir May Busby Way, Liverpool have the Shankly Gates, the National Team have Wembley Way and Chesterfield have the Ernie Moss Memorial Sheep dip (one of these May not be fact). We now have the Gabitas Gate and for this we have made our own football officer a living legend.

PC Carl Gabitas I salute you in becoming a piece of Mansfield Town folklore and look forward to you thanking all on Stagsnet in your acceptance speech.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:55 am

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:Having seen a number of Stags fans in the home shirt, maybe a size too small, I think the extra few hundred yard walk will do them good. I do love this thread though, for years we were genuinely concerned that there would be no MTFC at all, now the major gripe is a gate being closed.

Yeah same goes for those elderly raspberry and the lazy blueberries with mobility issues and all those despicable raspberries that don't arrive by private car.

I'll support the police in most things, but the crowd control at Stags is sooooo wrong it's beyond the pale.

The gate is closed for 20 mins, you can wait or walk around. Twice, when the gate wasn't closed, I saw voilence whilst waiting in the retail park with my youngest for my Mrs to pick us up. You want someone to blame for this inconvenience, blame those unable to go to a match without wanting to fight someone!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:02 am

If our crowds get up to 5/6000 there will be a lot of congestion on Quarry Lane and then on to the main road with a lot of youngsters from the family section. Already we are seeing cars parked on QL on the yellow lines. I fear that this is an accident waiting to happen
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 am

Moving away fans to that end of the ground, creates an issue that didn't exist previously an inconveniences the vast majority who go to Field Mill to watch football.

Dickheads have been scrapping at football matches for the last 50 years. And if hooligans want to scrap, they will find away round the gate being shut.

The people who will struggle are those I mentioned above that you chose to dismiss out of hand Rob, those that are getting on, those with mobilty issues, those that catch a train or a bus to the game, even those who just get picked up by the missus after the game.
Cars picking up on Quarry Lane are already a problem, this move is going to make that worse.

Moving away fans to the North Stand was a stupid over reaction to an incident on Quarry Lane after a Donny game 13 years ago. Compared to incidents I've seen at football over the years, it was hand bags and could have all been averted by keeping the Donny fans in for 5/10 minutes. Something that has been common practice in crowd control for half a century at grounds all over the country (including Forest), but which somehow cannot be applied at Field Mill.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:21 am

It’s a ridiculous overreaction.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:23 am

bellwhiff wrote:It’s a ridiculous overreaction.

Accepting, of course, that it rarely affects you whiffy .
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:29 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Where I sit and where I park it never impacts on me personally Edders, but that doesn't mean he's not right.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

I’m sure that you have opinions on all manner of things that have no affect on you.

So what’s your point ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:11 pm

On the contrary Rob. At football matches I honestly believe they cause more aggro than they actually prevent. Just look at what happened to the Stoke fans at Preston on Saturday. That was ridiculous & yet the copper in charge of all PNE games is a fantastic officer who has had loads of compliments over the years & he is gutted about this & doesn't know why it happened. These pillocks have undone so much of his hard work over the years. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45238177

I find that at lots of stadiums you find a particular kind of copper, the one who was bullied at school who now thinks he's the bees knees despite being on the bottom rung of his career & will always be there, trying to flex his muscles to show the world how good he is, even though he'll always be a cuntstable. I'm sure we all know this type. They're not all like that. The ones that follow Notts County around are fantastic. Really friendly, always smiling, chatting to the fans and there's never any trouble, hence they get to kick off their game at 3pm as they will do at Lincoln on Saturday. Whereas the ones in charge of us are a joke. They come out with the same crap all the time. 'Intelligence' this 'intelligence' that. They wouldn't know intelligence if it smacked them in the face. As someone above has said they just use the club as a cash cow. Some of them are Stags fans who can stand in the corner of the North & West stands watching the games for free while we're paying their wages. Also I noticed at the Derby & Sheff Weds games there was one standing there all game just pointing a video camera at Q block. What's the point? That's just inflaming a situation that's not even there. People don't want to be filmed while they're at a football match. There's club CCTV that covers that area anyway, so why does there have to be a copper doing the same thing. Waste of our money, waste of the clubs money. As for it being the clubs decision to shut the gate Johnny H, why is it they always say 'on police advice'? You'll be telling us next it's the clubs decision to make them 1pm kick offs rather than you lot.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 pm

Dan wrote:

On the contrary Rob. At football matches I honestly believe they cause more aggro than they actually prevent. Just look at what happened to the Stoke fans at Preston on Saturday. That was ridiculous & yet the copper in charge of all PNE games is a fantastic officer who has had loads of compliments over the years & he is gutted about this & doesn't know why it happened. These pillocks have undone so much of his hard work over the years. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45238177

I find that at lots of stadiums you find a particular kind of copper, the one who was bullied at school who now thinks he's the bees knees despite being on the bottom rung of his career & will always be there, trying to flex his muscles to show the world how good he is, even though he'll always be a cuntstable. I'm sure we all know this type. They're not all like that. The ones that follow Notts County around are fantastic. Really friendly, always smiling, chatting to the fans and there's never any trouble, hence they get to kick off their game at 3pm as they will do at Lincoln on Saturday. Whereas the ones in charge of us are a joke. They come out with the same crap all the time. 'Intelligence' this 'intelligence' that. They wouldn't know intelligence if it smacked them in the face. As someone above has said they just use the club as a cash cow. Some of them are Stags fans who can stand in the corner of the North & West stands watching the games for free while we're paying their wages. Also I noticed at the Derby & Sheff Weds games there was one standing there all game just pointing a video camera at Q block. What's the point? That's just inflaming a situation that's not even there. People don't want to be filmed while they're at a football match. There's club CCTV that covers that area anyway, so why does there have to be a copper doing the same thing. Waste of our money, waste of the clubs money. As for it being the clubs decision to shut the gate Johnny H, why is it they always say 'on police advice'? You'll be telling us next it's the clubs decision to make them 1pm kick offs rather than you lot.

Great post Dan, agree 100%
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Tranmere last night, friendly police, friendly fan zone to meet, chat and have a drink together, after match all walk together discussing match, no gates in sight.
You create an unnecessary obstacle, people resent and trouble ensues.

Let's hope Gabbitas was there last night watching a proper operation in action
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Tranmere last night, friendly police, friendly fan zone to meet, chat and have a drink together, after match all walk together discussing match, no gates in sight.
You create an unnecessary obstacle, people resent and trouble ensues.

Let's hope Gabbitas was there last night watching a proper operation in action

Exactly. No need whatsoever for any stupid knee jerk segregation BS.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum