{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Reid - I didn't dive and Evans is delusional

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Reid - I didn't dive and Evans is delusional

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:02 pm

golfmickeyboy wrote:If a referee or somebody who claims to be a referee is giving decisions against a team because their manager has shouted at him then just what is the game coming to? Ben Toner was at best incompetent. If he gave the penalty decision based on something that Evans had said or done during the game then that made him not only inept but dishonest.

Get real! Psychology works both ways. Refs are human. Give them what they feel is unjustified abuse stick and they will want to retaliate.

He wasn't the best ref we've seen. But to call him inept is grossly wrong and to suggest that he is dishonest is outrageous.

ITS A LAMENTABLE FACT: ALL THE BEST REFEREES ARE IN THE STANDS!
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Well said Edders.

The abuse Steve dishes out works both ways. Sometimes a ref will go easier on us to keep him quiet, other times they'll be sick of him and harsher on us.

I just don't get those who are questioning the peno. It looked a foul from behind the action (same as the refs view).

If Rose had done that to win us the game, no one would be called the refs morals or questioning it. Sour grapes as usual on here.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby golfmickeyboy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:53 pm

I wasn't the one who suggested that the abuse Evans had given him was the reason he gave the penalty. I had left the ground a couple of minutes early on Saturday so I have only seen the penalty incident on Tv. I actually thought it was a penalty although somebody else had a view from the other side and said that there was no contact. I was just reacting to the suggestion that the ref had given the decision against us just to get his own back on Evans. IF that was the case then it was a dishonest action. Also ,diving to gain an unfair advantage is widely regarded as cheating so IF Reid did dive then Evans was correct in calling him a cheat.All referees make mistakes as someone suggested because they are human. Judging by social media comments and talking to people who were there on Saturday most people agree that he was particularly bad. Even the Exeter fans were giving him stick. Whatever happens he shouldn't let it affect the way he does the job.
golfmickeyboy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chadman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Lomas on Stags column on the penalty row

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-8473045
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Postby TBS » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:22 pm

I find it incredible that the referee would give such a decision against us just because of Evans chelping all the time. If the referee did so, he really shouldn't be refereeing as he should be impartial, as i'd mentioned earlier in the thread.

If you're a manager (or in a position of authority) at work & make someones life difficult or give them the crap jobs to do just because they moan, you need to have a look at yourself as a person & how you manage people.
Don`t be fooled by imitation
This is the stuff that cured a nation...
TBS
First Team
First Team

Re: Reid - I didn't dive and Evans is delusiona

Postby Im not the real OND » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Why do you think Evans rants and raves like that? It's an act because he thinks he can get under the skin of the officials and get an advantage.

So if they can gain advantage with some referees, surely the opposite is true. If someone is trying to bully you, it's human nature to stand up to them.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Not the ref fault if you look at the ball n it's pace going towards the line the player realised he over cooked his touch did what every other clever forwards do in the box n from a distance it looked like he was fouled we should have never been in that position to give the ref a decision to make...
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:00 pm

The fact is the defending for the decision was stupid.

The ref was poor, rash and varied wildly with his decisions, making such a daft challenge late on in the penalty area was going to raise that question.

It looked a penalty to me, but he should have just shepherded the ball out for a goalkick
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:21 pm

The referee was inept and incompetent.....not dishonest. Anyone who thinks his handling of the game was good is delusional

I personally don't think it was a penalty - it was a coming together and Reid went down easily, Its very unusual for pens to be given in those scenarios
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Calstag » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:30 pm

yorkstag wrote:The referee was inept and incompetent.....not dishonest. Anyone who thinks his handling of the game was good is delusional

I personally don't think it was a penalty - it was a coming together and Reid went down easily, Its very unusual for pens to be given in those scenarios

If that's a coming together then how do people dance in a night club with risk of injury... :lol:

In all seriousness, it was a pen won not a definite pen at all
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:21 pm

The players only came together because Reid dived into Bennett. This is not obvious from the camera angle but anyone on the west side of the pitch could see it plainly.

At the end of the day we lost and that's all there is to it. Reid cheated but so would most players in that position. Still gutted but there's no point in crying over spilt milk.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Looked a pen all day long to me, from our angle. Reid might have made the most of it but Bennett got suckered. The outrage and controversy is massively OTT and makes Evans look a mug.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:15 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Looked a pen all day long to me, from our angle. Reid might have made the most of it but Bennett got suckered. The outrage and controversy is massively OTT and makes Evans look a mug.

Completely agree Doomy, looked a penalty to me too and nothing I have seen from the TV has made me change my mind, poor defending by Bennett, who has otherwise been outstanding for us this season.

Evans ranting will not help us with the marginal 50-50 decisions, but it will not persuade a referee to intentionally incorrectly give a penalty against us as that would just be dishonest, which I don't think for one minute our referees are. Saturdays referee was very, very poor - the fouls on Rose were about as clear cut as you could get, it was obvious he was winning the ball at will and the only way they could compete was to foul him. He missed at least 5 poor challenges which should have resulted in one or two bookings. He was a 4/10 for me, but was not why we lost, that was down to Evans I'm afraid and his negative 2nd half tactics which were clear from the very start of the half when we started time wasting from a throw!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:09 am

Anyone sat in Q block saw than Reid went down like a sack of the proverbial, Bennett just got caught in no mans land as Reid skipped past, it was just how close bennet was that made it look like a peno from where the ref was.....it was a dive all day long.
S7AGS
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:16 pm

S7AGS wrote:Anyone sat in Q block saw than Reid went down like a sack of the proverbial, Bennett just got caught in no mans land as Reid skipped past, it was just how close bennet was that made it look like a peno from where the ref was.....it was a dive all day long.

You might be right, but Reid played Bennett like a ten-bob fiddle.

We'd have been delighted had (say) Rose achieved a similar outcome.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:41 pm

We sit in K (opposite end to Q) so saw it from behind. There was contact and Reid did what every striker would do and went down. Not a single person around us said a word about it not being anything but a penalty. Of the five of us, none of us came away grumbling about losing to a dive.

Just because your part of the stand is closest doesn't mean that you have the best view of an incident.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:45 pm

As I said earlier my view was poor (along with the refs) but was Reid running out of room? My first thought was Rhys didn't need to go near him??
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:41 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:We sit in K (opposite end to Q) so saw it from behind. There was contact and Reid did what every striker would do and went down. Not a single person around us said a word about it not being anything but a penalty. Of the five of us, none of us came away grumbling about losing to a dive.

Just because your part of the stand is closest doesn't mean that you have the best view of an incident.

My dad is in P and said he had the perfect view of th two players alongside each other. He said there was clear daylight between them and no contact whatsoever.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm

If anyone seriously thinks that the referee had time in that split second that Reid went down to think about Evans etc then you obviously don't know the game. It was a penalty because it was given, we have to move on.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:14 pm

If Greeny had "won" the penalty, we would have all said the defender shouldn't have been so naive.

How many times do we all shout "penalty" when one of our forwards is challenged in the box??

How many times does SE try to influence the officials by getting in their faces???

Glass houses????
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Reap - sow. Reap - sow!
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Beano wrote:If Greeny had "won" the penalty, we would have all said the defender shouldn't have been so naive.

How many times do we all shout "penalty" when one of our forwards is challenged in the box??

How many times does SE try to influence the officials by getting in their faces???

Glass houses????

How many times do we get the decision?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Bradders wrote:
Beano wrote:If Greeny had "won" the penalty, we would have all said the defender shouldn't have been so naive.

Glass houses????

It tends to even itself out over the season, I think even Calstag would agree there's no conspiracy here ;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:13 am

Very often at the bigger premier clubs when 30k shout Penalty the Ref blows under pressure. Hence most Sundays in the papers it's ,We were robbed etc.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby TBS » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Beano wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Glass houses????

It tends to even itself out over the season, I think even Calstag would agree there's no conspiracy here ;)

Yes, I remember us going a whole season & nearly two years without a penalty not so long ago!
Don`t be fooled by imitation
This is the stuff that cured a nation...
TBS
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum