{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Gary Ricketts

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Gary Ricketts

Postby Paulstag » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Statement from Gary Ricketts who is retiring from football:-

"I've had to have a long hard think about my future in playing football and have decided to retire from the game. My last injury on my right knee was one too many and I fear if I continue may do myself some real damage. Thanks to all the people I have my, played with, against and for as you have help concrete some fantastic memories that I will always reflect on. I now plan to get into the coaching/managing side of things so will keep myself involved but once again thanks its been an amazing ride."

GOOD RIDDANCE
Paulstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Never realised he was a footballer........nor did he judging by his tackle on John Thompson.

Rarely do i wish bad will on others, but i hope any future career he has is far less successful than his pseudo-footballing stint at Ilkeston
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Shame his 'career' didn't end face first in an advertising hoarding.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Beano » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:01 pm

What's he intending to coach, MMA?
User avatar
Beano
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby m1cksut » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:06 pm

as a buddhist, i do not like to wish ill to anyone.
however, there is always an exception, i hope he reincarnates as a tapeworm, and spends his life eating crap.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
User avatar
m1cksut
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby west country stag » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:16 pm

ANIMAL
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
User avatar
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:32 am
Location: Penzance , Cornwall

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Karma happens. This Poundland "footballer" will get what's coming to him. Hopefully in a dark alley.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13497
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Jamie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Some of the comments on here are way over the top as usual. He made a mistake, obviously didn't intend to do the damage he did.

I assume everyone posting is whiter than white, never made a mistake etc. Yes the guy is a bellwhiff, but come on...
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:54 pm

Comments may be over the top, but your interpretation of Ricketts actions is very generous Jamie, he should have been arrested and charged with assault.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Ilkeston refused to let us have the match DVD. I never got it. I don't think the club ever did either.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 18803
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby wilfstag » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 pm

A match I'll never forget and witnessing Rickets behaviour on Thompson and others and his lack of remorse afterwards, shows him to be a complete tool.
A big mouth wannabe who ended the career of a real professional.
Hope he fails in whatever he does and Jamie whilst you're being so charitable about his 'accident,' this wasn't his first or last offence!
wilfstag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby weststandstag » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Jamie wrote:Some of the comments on here are way over the top as usual. He made a mistake, obviously didn't intend to do the damage he did.

I assume everyone posting is whiter than white, never made a mistake etc. Yes the guy is a bellwhiff, but come on...



Not like you to go against 99.9% of opinion is it Jamie?
Seriously, get off your high horse!

That bloke pretty much ended John Thompson's career in football that night (yes I know he played again) and also hospitalised Sutton if I recall rightly?

"He made a mistake" - no, he made an assault - and even if I was the whitest of white people (in terms of doing good) id still wish him nothing but misery and despair in his future career
"We can effect this league"
User avatar
weststandstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby mansfield_smooth » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 am

Jamie wrote:Some of the comments on here are way over the top as usual. He made a mistake, obviously didn't intend to do the damage he did.

I assume everyone posting is whiter than white, never made a mistake etc. Yes the guy is a bellwhiff, but come on...

Shut up you clown, clearly you weren't there, he hospitalised 3 lads in 70 odd minutes! If that's a mistake in your world then you're deluded! He should have been prisoner for what he did on JT it was cowardice at best!

Can still hear that noise and it still makes me feel sick!
Together
Everybody
Achieves
More

TEAM - we can all play our parts for all things good for MTFC
User avatar
mansfield_smooth
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2986
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Stoney » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:17 am

Jamie, give your head a shake. There was no mistake about what that thug did that night. He's raspberry. If he did that to 2/3 blokes in a town centre would you say the same thing? It was assault pure and simple.

Was it Riley who got done over too?
Stoney
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3119
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Bolsover.

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Spiritater » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 am

Riley and Sutts.

I remember seeing PRicketts playing at Renuf a couple of years later and when he came out the tunnel I said to him 'you wanna watch those advertizing boards youth', he just laughed as he could see I'd got the Famous AMBER shirt on.

Remorse? There was none.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 19866
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Stockportstag » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 am

Should have been banned for life after what he did to Thompson. Ended the career of a good player a dvirtually killed Ilkeston as a football club due to legal costs and damages paid
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:44 am

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Beano » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:17 am

What's next Jamie..... Khalid Masood was just a rubbish driver?
User avatar
Beano
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Stoney » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 am

Beano wrote:What's next Jamie..... Khalid Masood was just a rubbish driver?

Jamie would probably claim Harold Shipman just lacked a bit of medical training.
Stoney
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3119
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Bolsover.

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:57 am

Jamie wrote:Some of the comments on here are way over the top as usual. He made a mistake, obviously didn't intend to do the damage he did.

I assume everyone posting is whiter than white, never made a mistake etc. Yes the guy is a bellwhiff, but come on...



I bow to your opinion as you were obviously there and have full recollection of the incident ;)

Either that, or you have the same info as us - which included several pics of his nose split wide open, a match DVD buried away for fear of reprisal, and the accounts of those who were there that deemed it borderline assault. I somehow doubt a football would end his career quite so easily from an honest mistimed tackle, but of course base that on assumption....

To me, there is a big difference between an honest tackle uncontrolled at high speed and being forcefully launched at a barrier - about 3 inches of stitching apparently
Last edited by MutinyOnTheCounty on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:59 am

Stoney wrote:
Beano wrote:What's next Jamie..... Khalid Masood was just a rubbish driver?

Jamie would probably claim Harold Shipman just lacked a bit of medical training.



Hitler was merely using his panzer tanks as the pioneer of Top Gear road challenges
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Jamie thought Osama Bin Laden just loved playing Hide and Seek.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3263
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby BigGuy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:49 pm

Jamie also thinks Gary Glitter was a misunderstood tourist out in the Philippines.
BigGuy
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:09 pm

And Hindley and Brady running trekking holidays over the moors
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6080
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Jamie wrote:Some of the comments on here are way over the top as usual. He made a mistake, obviously didn't intend to do the damage he did.

I assume everyone posting is whiter than white, never made a mistake etc. Yes the guy is a bellwhiff, but come on...


Pack it in Mr Moral Compass. Take your faux sensibilities elsewhere. He didn't make a mistake. He put more than one player in hospital in a pre season friendly and ended the career of one of them. He's a total rusty ballon knot.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13497
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Gary Ricketts

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Jamie wrote:Some of the comments on here are way over the top as usual. He made a mistake, obviously didn't intend to do the damage he did.

I assume everyone posting is whiter than white, never made a mistake etc. Yes the guy is a bellwhiff, but come on...

Jamie, put it in to context, it was a pre season friendly He injured three players if my memory serves me correctly. As for John Thomson, he was both mentally and physically scarred for a very long time. His distinguished career ended that day.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5754
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Martin Shaw, MTFCMusings, The Source and 28 guests