{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Any 1987 Wembley memories to share?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Any 1987 Wembley memories to share?

Postby tibby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:16 am

Come on it was 30 years ago

I don't keep taking about Italia 90

Yes a great chapter in the clubs history, but why keep bringing it up every 2 or so years
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby radarstag » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am

I`d booked an holiday in Weymouth so i travelled from there to Wembley and met up with a few friends and relatives in the stadium. After the game and trophy presentation i made my way to catch my train only to realise it was going to be full of Bristol fans, so after fastening up my jacket to cover my stags shirt i spent the ride to Poole smiling to myself while the Bristol fans were all moaning about how they were robbed etc. Once we reached Poole some of the carriages were separated and we carried on our separate journeys but not until i had wound them up by removing my jacket and to show my Stags shirt and stood in front of the window of the carriage i was in as there`s moved by to take them on to Bristol. As you can guess they weren`t to happy at realising they`d shared a train with the enemy.
Oh when i die, Oh when i die, Don`t bury me alone, Don`t bury me alone, Just lay my bones in alcohol
radarstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 am

tibby wrote:Come on it was 30 years ago

Yes a great chapter in the clubs history, but why keep bringing it up every 2 or so years

Did we win Italia '90 :roll:
You sir are a div of the highest order
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:55 am

Anyway, apart from the game itself my defining memory is being probably the last bus to arrive.
When we turned onto Wembley Way (which is another treat now lost from the awful new Wembley, going in through the industrial estate just ain't the same) was despite Bristol having more fans Wembley Way was a never ending sea of Amber and Blue :D :)
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:18 am

because for some of us it was the best moment we've ever had in our Stags supporting life.

Why do you have a problem with it??
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kernow » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:30 am

Remember being close to tears when Keith missed his penalty and then the elation with Hitchcock's saves. We should have won the game in extra time.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby nigegray » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:07 am

my what a day that was. on the way back our coach was struggling the only thing we passed was anyone who had broke down
i can remember getting back into mansfield to catch the last pint the bell had just rang
happy days
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby vicstag » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am

Dad was flying from Heathrow so said we could take him in his car then go on to Wembley. BUT - sodding car broke down on M1, got towed off and fixed and he made it to airport with just 10 mins to spare. We made it to Wembley just in time too but missed all the pre-match build-up. Remember very little of the game really as it was so tense. I do remember a City fan lifting her shirt to us Staggies from the back of a coach and showing us her Bristols afterwards. Bloody car completely on way back and ended up at Luton about midnight getting a train back to Nottingham. Did I mind? Not in the slightest. WE'D WON THE CUP!!!!

Vic Piuk ex-Chad reporter and still chum of Tim. Resident of Frogland for the last 20 years.
vicstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06 am

Tubby - If you took up being a prat as a profession, you'd earn a fortune
Last edited by EdwinstoweStag on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby skeglad » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 am

First game i went to with my Dad (he was a Forest fan)
And i'd never felt so embarrassed as when Bristol equalized and he stood up and clapped saying "well it was a good goal that"
There Their They're
skeglad
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 pm

I will never forget the whole cup run. Winning at borough, then the Chester games , great away following each time. Will never forget the elation of the fantastic win at Wembley. On the lap of honour cass came up to me at the side of the pitch and leaning over the fencing I gave him my cap which her wore on the lap of honour and every photo of lifting the cup and the celebrations that followed . The next day on the open top bus tour around Mansfield Kieth still had my cap on. Amazing memories of all the stags legends. What a team.
CassellsCap
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby acasman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Took family over to Majorca for first foreign holiday, due to fly back on Sat afternoon. Got on plane after long delay ( 5 or 6 hours). Given a meal and then told we couldn't fly as pilots hours had expired. Shipped off to hotels overnight. No luggage towels, soap, deodorant, toothbrushes etc. No money either as spent all remaining cash in duty free. This is pre credit cards of course. My son remembers me being so angry and depressed and wouldn't speak without snapping someone's head off. No guarantee we would be back Sunday due to French Air Traffic Controllers being on strike. When we finally boarded and the plane went down the runway I was the happiest I'd ever been. A moment only superseded by George lifting the trophy

Ken Sharp
acasman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Driving down the MI with seemingly every other car carrying Stags fans
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vantage007 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:44 pm

I was 29 at the time. 3 of us drove down and parked in the main car park at Wembley where we had hot dogs cooked on a BBQ by some City fans. I remember one of them saying that he had strong feelings that we would 'do them today.' Never been so nervous as i was throughout the penalty shoot out. After the game we drove back and our first stop after our fabulous victory was the Rushley and then to the infamous Brunels (now Mansfield station) where we left the car before finishing at the Woodpeckers in Woodhouse where they constantly played the radio footage of the winning penalty being scored. What a day! Never forget it. Still got my Wembley scarf!!
Following MTFC since 1967!
Vantage007
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tim » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks Ken, Vik, Nige... just a reminder to others who have posted, if you want me to include your names please let me know them.
Thanks
tim
Youth Team
Youth Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum