{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

WOEFUL

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

WOEFUL

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:58 pm

A hatful of first half chances wasted.

Two completely stupid free kicks just outside the box (one of which could easily have been given as a penalty on another day) leading to woefully defended goals from the only attempts by a very average Plymouth Argyle.

Then, after the second goal, Evans makes the substitutions but WHY ON EARTH did he opt to remove Green?

The green army can hardly have believed their luck and the long journey back to Devon must have been a far more pleasant one than their team's football warranted.

Ah well. At least the dugouts have been moved further back so that the rival managers have more room in their respective "technical zones" to shout and ball and to generally aggravate each other as well as the fourth official!

The scoreboard still annoys me but, hey ho, I'll be there next week! :)

:mtfc:
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Re: WOEFUL

Postby WeDeserveMore » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:36 am

It wasn't woeful at all. We played well.... very well. It's not Evans fault our strikers are pants. Yeah CJ switched off for their goal when he pulled down their player for free kick... but apart from him and Sheared the other nine were very impressive. Play offs are a cert if we play like that.
Champions!!!!!!!
WeDeserveMore
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:38 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:A hatful of first half chances wasted.

Two completely stupid free kicks just outside the box (one of which could easily have been given as a penalty on another day) leading to woefully defended goals from the only attempts by a very average Plymouth Argyle.

Then, after the second goal, Evans makes the substitutions but WHY ON EARTH did he opt to remove Green?

The green army can hardly have believed their luck and the long journey back to Devon must have been a far more pleasant one than their team's football warranted.

Ah well. At least the dugouts have been moved further back so that the rival managers have more room in their respective "technical zones" to shout and ball and to generally aggravate each other as well as the fourth official!

The scoreboard still annoys me but, hey ho, I'll be there next week! :)

Thats a bit harsh Edders. Apart from poor finishing from Green, McDonald and Whiteman we passed the ball, especially first half, better than anything I've seen for a long time.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Madstagsfan2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:44 am

The only thing woeful was our finishing.
Madstagsfan2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby 1966Stag » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 am

First half was best football I have seen for a very long time, just let down by poor finishing, that's why they were applauded off at half time. Heads went after the first goal because, like us, they couldn't believe they were going to lose after creating so many chances. Need one of our strikers to find some form and need a new strike force for next year.

They were also applauded off at the end of the game by those that stayed, if that was woeful then not sure how you would describe some of the trash we have witnessed over the last 15 years or so.
1966Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Calstag » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:59 am

Dominated the game until being sucker punched, we were not woeful our finishing was
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:17 am

I've said it on another thread that the strikers we have at present are very much an average bunch and will not see us to Lge 1. Our last goal from open play from a 'striker' was Arquin against Accy 14th Feb nearly a month ago, our problem lies here. No matter what combination Evo tries it invariably ends up blank and says a lot about the cutting edge of our team atm. Three blanks on the trot and part time pete's pre season warning is still there that we'll not score enough goals when it matters for where we want to be.

Ok the team's improved to move us to safety which is the primary goal, but has it improved enough to take that 'Giant leap for Stagskind' to the next level? I personally don't think so.

I really pin my hopes on Evo's summertime ins and outs and our strike force and supply to the strike force (are you listening CJ) is where we need to do most of our business.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:45 am

Woeful is a bit harsh ,but we are all feeling a bit down after the defeat.In the first half we had at least 5 decent chances and dominated a side in second place .We all could read the script as when you are on top you have to make the most of it .Then 2 set pieces 2 goals .It really is a shame with a good crowd and imo a good performance .But with time for it to sink in it is no time to wave the white flag .Still plenty of points to play for and only 2 points away .We are playing well and have deserved more in recent games.Its going to the wire now so tighten your seat belts . :coys:
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Keep it Simple » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:06 am

Spiritater wrote:I've said it on another thread that the strikers we have at present are very much an average bunch and will not see us to Lge 1. Our last goal from open play from a 'striker' was Arquin against Accy 14th Feb nearly a month ago, our problem lies here. No matter what combination Evo tries it invariably ends up blank and says a lot about the cutting edge of our team atm. Three blanks on the trot and part time pete's pre season warning is still there that we'll not score enough goals when it matters for where we want to be.

Ok the team's improved to move us to safety which is the primary goal, but has it improved enough to take that 'Giant leap for Stagskind' to the next level? I personally don't think so.

I really pin my hopes on Evo's summertime ins and outs and our strike force and supply to the strike force (are you listening CJ) is where we need to do most of our business.

Great sum up 'tater, which reflects perfectly for me exactly the issues we have. Many on here get misty eyed for Green, but I believe the time has come (and arrived a while ago) to look elsewhere and I accept he has been in and out of the team, perhaps pining a bit for AM? I don't know but certainly the guy has lost his mojo.
Looking down the road and seeing Ameobi starring for County, it begs the question, couldn't we have looked to take a punt on him? As the strikers we have .....Rose, Acquin , Green, Hobo, well they really aren't going to propel us out of this league despite still having everything to play for, a really incompetent bunch at best over a period of time.
Looking to next year, wow what a L2 that could be. Many games localish with large away followings, it really will be a 'muck o nettles '.
We will need character and the list above can't inspire anyone with confidence surely?
I think Evans has been great for us, and stated so even before he was appointed, however his striker selection in the frenzied transfer window really has left for me a lot to be desired.

There were undiscovered Amazonian tribes that knew what was coming yesterday.
If you don't score , you don't win.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:56 am

Probably Evo had pinned his hopes of the £350k bid player to be the one to sharpen our cutting edge up, and when that failed we were left with what we had.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:07 am

We played very well, when you miss so many chances the writing on the wall becomes increasingly disable.

It seemed almost inevitable that Plymouth would somehow score, they did, we lost the game but the performance, in general, was top drawer for League 2.

Nothing to lose now at Colchester, we need a repeat performance and three points IS now essential.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:49 am

I think we played them off the park. Plymouth looked to be a poor side that go down very easy From where we were sat it looked like a dive for the first goal.

Poor green at the min couldn't hit a barn from the inside but other players missed some good chances when they find the scoring boots someone will be on the end of a good hiding.
wardy12345
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Ah well. At least the dugouts have been moved further back so that the rival managers have more room in their respective "technical zones" to shout and ball and to generally aggravate each other as well as the fourth official!y

Sounds a bit risqué for a footie match :shock:
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:

Ah well. At least the dugouts have been moved further back so that the rival managers have more room in their respective "technical zones" to shout and ball and to generally aggravate each other as well as the fourth official!y

Sounds a bit risqué for a footie match :shock:

Haha. I did spot "ball" for "bawl" but I couldn't be bothered to edit (again!)
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:20 pm

We played really well 1st half and cousin Henry did bemoan that we might rue the dominance and chances we created to no avail.

And so it proved.

Driving back to the Village heard SE on the radio who expressed my sentiments exactly apart from the fact that their 1st goal imo was a collective breakdown of our defence communication/discipline and not down to one individual. Thought that a bit harsh by him.

Heads went down after their second goal not surprisingly but we did try?

As SE said we cannot criticise the team for their commitment and workrate. Totally agree and such disappointment on the result was there to hear.

We weren't woeful at all.......but an early'ish goal would have settled us and thrown the wobblys Plymouths way.

Yesterdays news now and on down to Colchester!!

And lets put away some of those chances.....

ps '..do I not like...' attackers defending anyway near our penalty box. :(
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Bridgford Stag wrote:We played really well 1st half and cousin Henry did bemoan that we might rue the dominance and chances we created to no avail.

And so it proved.

Driving back to the Village heard SE on the radio who expressed my sentiments exactly apart from the fact that their 1st goal imo was a collective breakdown of our defence communication/discipline and not down to one individual. Thought that a bit harsh by him.

As SE said we cannot criticise the team for their commitment and workrate. Totally agree and such disappointment on the result was there to hear.

We weren't woeful at all.......but an early'ish goal would have settled us and thrown the wobblys Plymouths way.

My "woeful" comment related to the defending at the two free-kicks that resulted in Argyles's goals.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Edders I think it was the quality of the free kicks that did the damage. Generally our defending was a lot better than against Accrington and Grimsby.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Very disappointed with the result not the performance.Green is currently our best chance of a goal although he missed a gilt edged chance,If we keep up the performance level like it was today we still have a chance.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:03 pm

geoffhill wrote:Very disappointed with the result not the performance.Green is currently our best chance of a goal although he missed a gilt edged chance,If we keep up the performance level like it was today we still have a chance.

If Green is our best chance of a goal then we may as well juss the playoffs goodbye now.

We were banging them in when Rose and Shaq were up front together. Rose got injured and 0 goals since.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:46 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Very disappointed with the result not the performance.Green is currently our best chance of a goal although he missed a gilt edged chance,If we keep up the performance level like it was today we still have a chance.

If Green is our best chance of a goal then we may as well juss the playoffs goodbye now.

We were banging them in when Rose and Shaq were up front together. Rose got injured and 0 goals since.

And therein lies the problem, "up front together". One up front since MacDonald arrived and the goals dry up.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:15 pm

The strike force been woeful for a while now and as already said the strikers will leave us for another season in league2
It's all better than it was but we really need a fresh start with strikers and currently would let them all go Green included as he is excused out now I think
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Bridgford Stag wrote:We played really well 1st half and cousin Henry did bemoan that we might rue the dominance and chances we created to no avail.

And so it proved.

My "woeful" comment related to the defending at the two free-kicks that resulted in Argyles's goals.

Edders...my take was it was 'disappointing' ...

;)
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum