{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:33 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 pm

detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:57 pm

player ratings now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:19 pm

I agree with Hayden White as MOM. I thought Joel Byrom was worth a 7.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Thought Cj was poor ,the full back had him in his pocket
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 am

Good report, and I think that the ratings for the forwards are fair. They played well but needed two points deducting for not making anything of the excellent chances created.
To be fair to Bennett, he did have two players to mark for the goal and seemed to be caught between them (my phone footage):
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:16 am

great footage Bradders
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:06 am

It looks as though the Pligirms manager has seen footage of Shearer from past games and knew he'd not really come for the ball. Ok it was whipped in but any sort of touch from Shearer would've sent it away from danger. That said Bennet had two to mark and it was a poor concession. We later had a free kick from a similar sort of situation and failed to trouble their keeper.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 am

Looking at the goal .Shearer saw the flight of the ball and should have stepped back and got a touch on it .Likewise we should not leave a 2 on 1 at the back post so a double error .As tater says we had a similar free kick and didn't do anything with it.fine margins .saying that we had enough chances for this not to really matter
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:33 am

after going through the game again, I have tweaked the report in a few places.

For the two goals, I have tweaked the description as follows:

On 68 minutes, Carey went down on the edge of the area on the right, clipped by Hamilton who he had skipped past easily. The referee seemed to initially point to the spot, but changed his mind with input from his assistant and gave a free kick just outside the area on the right. From the video, the free kick just outside the area was the correct decision. Carey scored from this sort of position in the game at Home Park. This time, his excellent set piece delivery from the right was headed in at the far post as Sonny Bradley rose above Bennett to head in. Bennett had two players to mark at the far post, Bradley and Songo’o, as it seems that White had also lost Songo’o. Poor defending which Steve Evans was disappointed about after the game.

Pearce was booked on 73 minutes for bringing down Carey. It didn’t look a foul to us in real time. From our pitchside video, watching frame by frame, I think Pearce gets the first touch on the ball and then Carey kicks Pearce’s leg and goes down. However, in fairness to the referee who was well-positioned, it is hard to tell even frame by frame. Carey scored with the resulting free kick, firing a wonderful shot in from 27 yards into the top left corner, beating Shearer’s dive. That was game over. Two pieces of great play from Carey, whose quality had enabled Plymouth to win the game, just as he did at Home Park earlier in the season.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 am

I don't agree that Shearer is at fault for the first goal. It is too far above him as it goes over him (if you freeze frame it, it is a long way above the level of the bar), for him to have been able to get it, in my opinion. The fault is with the defenders at the back post, in my opinion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stags4eva » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 pm

The main person at fault for the first goal was CJ. Switched off at the free kick on the half way line, Byrom came across to press the ball and was pointing for CJ to get goal side of the guy on the outside for a good 3/4 seconds but he just stared at the ball, by then it was too late and he was in a bad position and had to bring him down.

Basic error that gets punished by the top teams unfortuantely.
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Im not the real OND » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I don't agree that Shearer is at fault for the first goal. It is too far above him as it goes over him (if you freeze frame it, it is a long way above the level of the bar), for him to have been able to get it, in my opinion. The fault is with the defenders at the back post, in my opinion.

I don't agree. He was flat footed and simply flapped at it. As I've said elsewhere it's harsh to blame Bennett when he has Whites player in front of him unmarked and millimetres from getting a touch and Shearer flapping in front of him.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I don't agree that Shearer is at fault for the first goal. It is too far above him as it goes over him (if you freeze frame it, it is a long way above the level of the bar), for him to have been able to get it, in my opinion. The fault is with the defenders at the back post, in my opinion.

I don't agree. He was flat footed and simply flapped at it. As I've said elsewhere it's harsh to blame Bennett when he has Whites player in front of him unmarked and millimetres from getting a touch and Shearer flapping in front of him.

ok well it's all about opinions. Mine is that this ball is too high for a keeper to get
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Im not the real OND » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:

ok well it's all about opinions. Mine is that this ball is too high for a keeper to get

I agree he can't get that from there. I don't think he should be there though. ;)
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:42 pm

ok, again about opinions. He's in the middle of the goal, that's where I want him to be.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Im not the real OND » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:05 pm

:) Agree to disagree
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BELSE » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Shearer is all ways stuck to is line and does not command is area
BELSE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:09 pm

BELSE wrote:Shearer is all ways stuck to is line and does not command is area

What about yesterday who he came to collect that free kick about 15 yard from his line.

Thought we had seen a changed man.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:ok, again about opinions. He's in the middle of the goal, that's where I want him to be.

He started in the correct position, centre of his goal, feet at 45 degrees to allow easy footwork towards either post.

The error is when he moves half a step towards the front post for no obvious reason. This left his bodyweight on his left (front) foot and prevented him from taking a step towards the back post where he should have dealt with it quite comfortably.

Goalkeepers are traind to react to the ball flight. Shearer didn't do this he pre-empted it and it left him in trouble.

Minor movement, costly error.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:29 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:ok, again about opinions. He's in the middle of the goal, that's where I want him to be.

He started in the correct position, centre of his goal, feet at 45 degrees to allow easy footwork towards either post.

The error is when he moves half a step towards the front post for no obvious reason. This left his bodyweight on his left (front) foot and prevented him from taking a step towards the back post where he should have dealt with it quite comfortably.

Goalkeepers are traind to react to the ball flight. Shearer didn't do this he pre-empted it and it left him in trouble.

Minor movement, costly error.

the free kick was struck with pace from less than a yard outside the area. In my opinion, there was no chance for him to get to the far post or anywhere near it. One step towards the far post would not have helped him in my opinion as the ball was still far too high at that point (see image below). The ball then dipped sharply as it reached the far post.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:39 pm

I fail to see the argument.It was two pieces of brilliance by a player above league 2 level. But for some on here they have to find someone to blame.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I fail to see the argument.It was two pieces of brilliance by a player above league 2 level. But for some on here they have to find someone to blame.

It was a good delivery, no doubt. I wouldn't go so far as brilliant though. (The second goal was brilliant)

A league standard goalkeeper should deal with that cross. The reason it looks so high is because he effectively walked under the ball - because he didn't read the flight.

Its not Shearers fault we lost yesterday - but he could have done better with the first goal.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Calstag » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I fail to see the argument.It was two pieces of brilliance by a player above league 2 level. But for some on here they have to find someone to blame.

I agree, 2 superb set pieces no chance with either, both were wicked deliverys
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:26 pm

7 for CJ is generous, especially if Byrom is only worth a 6.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum