{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Still in this

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Still in this

Postby spanishstag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Lost at home but only a couple of points away from playoffs still got a big chance
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Re: Still in this

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Yeah that's what made today so frustrating, other results go our way & we blob it in a game where we've dominated possession for most of the game.
Logic is lost in your cranial abatoir,
Shallow empty inside,
Sly witted and full of snide.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:46 pm

spanishstag wrote:Lost at home but only a couple of points away from playoffs still got a big chance

Thought you were talking about the rugby :lol:

Stags are still in it, Scotland aren't.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Rob wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Lost at home but only a couple of points away from playoffs still got a big chance

Bar a terrible refereeing decision we would be in the play offs now. How was that not a straight red!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:01 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rob wrote:

Bar a terrible refereeing decision we would be in the play offs now. How was that not a straight red!!!

I thought it was a red, the referee must have thought it was a genuine attempt to play the ball, it wasn't and stopped CJ having an attempt on goal. I did think the two free kicks from where the goals came were correct though.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Minky123 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:04 pm

5 teams within 2 points of us now ....carry on like this we will be below mid table before long !!
Minky123
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rob wrote:

I thought it was a red, the referee must have thought it was a genuine attempt to play the ball, it wasn't and stopped CJ having an attempt on goal. I did think the two free kicks from where the goals came were correct though.

It was last man Rob so doesn't matter if it was a genuine attempt or not.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:13 pm

I didn't think he was the last man.

Hamilton had a poor game today. Whiteman and Byrom were excellent in the first half but faded, as the whole team did, as the game went on. Sadly for us, Plymouth have a proven match winner in Carey, one goal and one assist, hardly touched the ball before then.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:16 pm

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rob wrote:

There was only one thing on the Plymouth players mind & that was to take him out. Cynical.
Anti-intellect & marketing. Pretty-pretty. Who needs talent?
Beyond The Pale
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rob wrote:

It was last man Rob so doesn't matter if it was a genuine attempt or not.

Yes it does matter. The laws changed this season, as I explained a few weeks ago.

It will be interesting to see the replay as at the time I felt the covering defender would not have prevented CJ having an attempt.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:22 pm

There was no chance CJ would have scored from that position.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:24 pm

part time pete wrote:There was no chance CJ would have scored from that position.

Yes God!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Teams that generally do well in this league tend to have a stand out player who can make the difference when it's needed. We don't have that player.

You may as well pull names out of a hat for the strikers position. There is nothing between them. It seems to be pretty much what he is doing. It's a new striker or new pairing every week. Chopping and changing every week can't be helping.

To be fair, Evans has more on his plate than worrying about which striker to pick. He was more concerned that their manager had thought he was a better manager than him.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Madstagsfan2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:33 pm

It wasn't a red card as there were other covering defenders. But it was a totally cynical challenge with no attempt to play the ball, I've said before that it's one of my pet hates and should result in 10 minutes in the sin bin.
Very frustrating today, we should have been out of site by half time. Plymouth did a smash and grab job on us. Terrific second goal though.
Madstagsfan2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Rob, the law has changed for penalties only as far as I was aware? Last man is still a red card outside the area

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... nalty-area
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:Rob, the law has changed for penalties only as far as I was aware? Last man is still a red card outside the area

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... nalty-area

Yes, good point :oops:

I think the key for this one is was it an obvious goal scoring opportunity, ref must have thought not.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Who'd be a ref ;)

Laws way too complicated nowadays.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby grufti » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:07 pm

No covering defender, no way they would have got across to CJ to stop him having a 1-on-1 with the keeper. No attempt to win the ball - he was nowhere close to playing the ball. As such, clear red card, ref bottled it.
Up The Stags
grufti
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Madstagsfan2 wrote:It wasn't a red card as there were other covering defenders. But it was a totally cynical challenge with no attempt to play the ball, I've said before that it's one of my pet hates and should result in 10 minutes in the sin bin.
Very frustrating today, we should have been out of site by half time. Plymouth did a smash and grab job on us. Terrific second goal though.

It was definitely a red card. The only decent official was the female, the other two were poor.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby AndyStag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Shouldn't be bothered about whether it was a red or not. We were far the better side 10 men or 11 would have been irrelevant. All that happened was that we were mugged. Keep playing like that and have a bit more luck in front of goal and we can still do it.
AndyStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:17 pm

AndyStag wrote:Shouldn't be bothered about whether it was a red or not. We were far the better side 10 men or 11 would have been irrelevant. All that happened was that we were mugged. Keep playing like that and have a bit more luck in front of goal and we can still do it.

It's not luck we need in front of goal. It's someone who can finish. I'd start Rose next game and see if he can do any better.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:19 pm

We could of been playing against 9 today and we still wouldn't of scored.

Good performance first half but we lacked a real threat in front of goal. 3 games without scoring now.

We are still in it but we need a run of wins and need it very soon.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby AndyStag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
AndyStag wrote:Shouldn't be bothered about whether it was a red or not. We were far the better side 10 men or 11 would have been irrelevant. All that happened was that we were mugged. Keep playing like that and have a bit more luck in front of goal and we can still do it.

It's not luck we need in front of goal. It's someone who can finish. I'd start Rose next game and see if he can do any better.

If SE is going to persist with one up front then Danny Rose is not the man. He needs someone to play off.
AndyStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 pm

I disagree. Rose wins more in the air, runs about just as much and is sharper in the box. One up top today was disappointing from Steve.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:26 pm

AndyStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

If SE is going to persist with one up front then Danny Rose is not the man. He needs someone to play off.

Despite the short time he was on, he won more balls in the air than any of our other forwards. He is also our best finisher. If you doubt me watch him in the warm ups.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum