{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Season Over

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Season Over

Postby Kernow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:34 pm

The bench is waiting for both.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:36 pm

die hirsche wrote:Seriously? Is it so hard a concept to grasp that if you have a run of games against the lesser lights of the division that the form table might not show the whole picture?

Who would you call the lesser teams ? .
Teams battling relegation , or the teams that's still think they have a chance of the play offs ?
We have dropped points against Yeovil , Cheltenham and Accrington and lost to Grimsby . Why are we still on the heels of the play off teams ? Why haven't we dropped to mid table ?

The reason is that it's a very open league this season . Most managers will say that anyone can beat anyone on the day A lot of the teams are inconsistent.
We wouldnt of thought Pompey and Exeter losing Saturday .
Wycombe were certs to make the play offs . Carlisle are inconsistent of late .

You could show any neutral fan the progress we have made since Evans has taken over . The form since boxing day and our league position and I'd bet most would say we have an excellent chance of the play offs .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:44 pm

tmwilson wrote:
die hirsche wrote:Seriously? Is it so hard a concept to grasp that if you have a run of games against the lesser lights of the division that the form table might not show the whole picture?

Who would you call the lesser teams ? .
Teams battling relegation , or the teams that's still think they have a chance of the play offs ?
We have dropped points against Yeovil , Cheltenham and Accrington and lost to Grimsby . Why are we still on the heels of the play off teams ? Why haven't we dropped to mid table ?

The reason is that it's a very open league this season . Most managers will say that anyone can beat anyone on the day A lot of the teams are inconsistent.
We wouldnt of thought Pompey and Exeter losing Saturday .
Wycombe were certs to make the play offs . Carlisle are inconsistent of late .

You could show any neutral fan the progress we have made since Evans has taken over . The form since boxing day and our league position and I'd bet most would say we have an excellent chance of the play offs .

Of course we have a decent chance of the playoffs, Wilson. We're two pts off. This whole thread is a waste of Internet.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 am

Making the play-offs would have its attractions - if we won at Wembley. Otherwise it's just stretching the season unnecessarily.

Personally, I wouldn't be heartbroken if we used the close season to allow SE to really mouldy the squad and consequently be in serious contention in 2017/18.

It would also be good to have 3 genuinely local rivals - Notts County, Chesterfield and Lincoln City.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Making the play-offs would have its attractions - if we won at Wembley. Otherwise it's just stretching the season unnecessarily.

Personally, I wouldn't be heartbroken if we used the close season to allow SE to really mouldy the squad and consequently be in serious contention in 2017/18.

It would also be good to have 3 genuinely local rivals - Notts County, Chesterfield and Lincoln City.

Not you has well Edders? Not since the promotion season have we been in a position where the tail end of the season has given us excitement. No time to accept second best. As for Cheaterfield, Lincoln and Notts County, I much rather be able to look down on them from a higher decision next season. There is no guarantee we would beat them anyway. Also there are no guarantees in football, so it's possible ( though unlikely) that SE will be here to " really mouldy " the squad. Although if he is I trust he sign " fresh " talent. Get behind the squad, enjoy the rest of the season, and keep the faith.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bristolstag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Making the play-offs would have its attractions - if we won at Wembley. Otherwise it's just stretching the season unnecessarily.

County will go down, Chesterfield will pull of a great escape and Lincoln will slip into the playoffs losing the final, Doncaster will go up too and we'll be left with long trips to every corner of the country... on Tuesday nights.
Bristolstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:59 pm

I don't care about any local rivals. If we go up and the sheep worriers go down then all the better.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:07 pm

The season is not over - We are only 3 points outside the playoffs! However, we have to be more effective in the final third if we are to get promoted this season.
In fairness, we are probably at least 2 players short of a promotion team. The spine of the team in our last game was Adam Murray's players - and injuries to Green & Rose haven't helped.
Still all to play for though. Some big games coming up. Let's get behind the team!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:13 pm

It's not season over, that's daft to state.

However, it's certainly put more onus on the home games - it was a chance for us to put an "easy" 4 or 6 points on the board before the games get harder.

My take on it would be "if we make the play-offs then fantastic - it's uphill from here".

To not have a shot on target against Cheltenham with 10 men for 70 minutes is troubling and to not score in 3 away games is surprising.

if we get into the playoffs this season it would be a bonus certainly, but not very realistic
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:13 pm

You just made that point on another thread and I'm confused by the reference back to Murray? Evans picks the team and left Byrom, Arquin, Potter etc on the bench that's not down to anyone but him and I think he'd probably agree. And then you highlight Green and Rose missing surely they where Murrays "spine" as well?? I'm not having a go I just can't make sense of the argument here.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:31 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:You just made that point on another thread and I'm confused by the reference back to Murray? Evans picks the team and left Byrom, Arquin, Potter etc on the bench that's not down to anyone but him and I think he'd probably agree. And then you highlight Green and Rose missing surely they where Murrays "spine" as well?? I'm not having a go I just can't make sense of the argument here.

In a nutshell ..... Steve Evans doesn't quite have all the players available that he would like to pick at the moment.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Not you has well Edders? Not since the promotion season have we been in a position where the tail end of the season has given us excitement. No time to accept second best. As for Cheaterfield, Lincoln and Notts County, I much rather be able to look down on them from a higher decision next season. There is no guarantee we would beat them anyway. Also there are no guarantees in football, so it's possible ( though unlikely) that SE will be here to " really mouldy " the squad. Although if he is I trust he sign " fresh " talent. Get behind the squad, enjoy the rest of the season, and keep the faith.

:? Just spotted my "mouldy"
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:00 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Get yer sen to doctors :lol:
BoughtonStag71
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:30 pm

BoughtonStag71 wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Get yer sen to doctors :lol:

He gid me some ointment.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:02 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Actually Edders I have noticed my post has two glaring errors. I think we should both blame predictive text and settle for honours even. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Actually Edders I have noticed my post has two glaring errors. I think we should both blame predictive text and settle for honours even. :)

Yep. I feel cruelly iPadded.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 pm

die hirsche wrote:No chance we're making the play-offs now. We should have been putting some of these teams away with a relative ease.
Too much of a job for Evans to turn the whole thing around with only a month to get his men in.
Still feeling positive for the future but pissed off we couldn't maintain the challenge for a bit longer this season.

die hirsche wrote:Pack what in? We aren't good enough to make the play-offs this season.
I didn't get carried away with the wins against some of the proper dirge of the division but did get my hopes up that we could possibly make the play-offs.
We now wont and im pissed off. The run-in we have is ridiculous and we are probably in a false position.
We will finish 10th ish.

You're upset because we aren't beating the teams competing at the top, despite the fact you didn't get carried away at our prospects with beating mediocrity, and relatively few prior matches against contenders with which to base whether we truly had a chance, and thus a genuine reason to feel disappointed.

So what you're moaning about is the fact you were unrealistic with your assessment and ambition, and decided to post about it as if it were the club that's let you down?? :P :lol:

Maybe you should blame the NHS for cutting back on your medication instead! ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Blidworth Stag » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:19 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Two back-to-back away clean sheets. Hardly reason for despair, is it?

Impressed this post is quite positive
Blidworth Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby die hirsche » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:21 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
die hirsche wrote:No chance we're making the play-offs now. We should have been putting some of these teams away with a relative ease.
Too much of a job for Evans to turn the whole thing around with only a month to get his men in.
Still feeling positive for the future but pissed off we couldn't maintain the challenge for a bit longer this season.

die hirsche wrote:Pack what in? We aren't good enough to make the play-offs this season.
I didn't get carried away with the wins against some of the proper dirge of the division but did get my hopes up that we could possibly make the play-offs.
We now wont and im pissed off. The run-in we have is ridiculous and we are probably in a false position.
We will finish 10th ish.

You're upset because we aren't beating the teams competing at the top, despite the fact you didn't get carried away at our prospects with beating mediocrity, and relatively few prior matches against contenders with which to base whether we truly had a chance, and thus a genuine reason to feel disappointed.

So what you're moaning about is the fact you were unrealistic with your assessment and ambition, and decided to post about it as if it were the club that's let you down?? :P :lol:

Took you 3 days to come up with that? Stick to your unfunny analogies and leave the post dissecting teenage stuff to the teenagers you twerp.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 pm

die hirsche wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

We will finish 10th ish.

Took you 3 days to come up with that? Stick to your unfunny analogies and leave the post dissecting teenage stuff to the teenagers you twerp.

Now, now, you pair!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:19 pm

No ill feeling from me bud - if you whinge then it's natural someone might what to comment on it
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:55 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I don't care about any local rivals. If we go up and the sheep worriers go down then all the better.

Well of course you don't whiffy because you live 'dahn sarf'. The more southern clubs in our league the better it is for you to get to games when we play away..
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Spiritater wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I don't care about any local rivals. If we go up and the sheep worriers go down then all the better.

Well of course you don't whiffy because you live 'dahn sarf'. The more southern clubs in our league the better it is for you to get to games when we play away..

Utterly irrelevant. It's all about Stags and I couldn't give a horse's fart for anyone else.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Still all to play for and before Grimsby game I thought that we would easily get into the play off berths but since then it seems like we have lost our way slightly even though the gap is only 2 points

The game sat will shape the rest of the season I think.

Not sure Potter has been a decent addition some how although he has not played much yet.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:28 pm

cant really comment on potter, hasnt played anywhere near enough. he's probably still getting his fitness back but i think evans has struggled to add potter/macdonald into the squad so far
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum