{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Season Over

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Season Over

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:04 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:cant really comment on potter, hasnt played anywhere near enough. he's probably still getting his fitness back but i think evans has struggled to add potter/macdonald into the squad so far

I'm not sure about Potter too. I do think McDonald has shown signs of what he can do.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 am

Potter must be starting above Whiteman soon surely
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Just put this thread back to the top of the list for a bit.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:00 pm

still only 2 points outside the play offs
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby bmthstag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Realistically the problems have set in since Evans signed both Potter and McDonald. Playing one of them means he only goes with one recognised centre forward and I'm not convinced anyone of the strikers at the club is comfortable or sufficiently able to play that sole role.
Time to revert to the system that saw us winning?
bmthstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:12 pm

Our record against sides in the top half of the table rhroughout this season and last is very very poor. If we were to get in the playoffs now it would be quite something, lose Tuesday we can near enough forget it
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm struggling to recall a team that created (won) so many corners, yet offered virtually no threat from them whatsoever.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:28 pm

8 'shots' on target and everyone a back pass. We could have played till midnight & not scored.

Easy to see what Evans' priority needs to be in the summer. New strikers new keeper.
Logic is lost in your cranial abatoir,
Shallow empty inside,
Sly witted and full of snide.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Sneag wrote:8 'shots' on target and everyone a back pass. We could have played till midnight & not scored.

Easy to see what Evans' priority needs to be in the summer. New strikers new keeper.

That's a bit unfair to call the strikers!!! We could have had 5 strikers playing but if they don't get the service they cannot score!!!

Definitely need a (half) decent keeper though!!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:36 pm

thefamilyvontrapp wrote:
Sneag wrote:8 'shots' on target and everyone a back pass. We could have played till midnight & not scored.

That's a bit unfair to call the strikers!!! We could have had 5 strikers playing but if they don't get the service they cannot score!!!

18 attempts and their keeper never had to make a save that had any degree of difficulty, that's an issue with the strikeforce.
Shallow empty inside,
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Sneag wrote:
thefamilyvontrapp wrote:

18 attempts and their keeper never had to make a save that had any degree of difficulty, that's an issue with the strikeforce.

I don't think it was 18 attempts from strikers though was it??
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Definitely, though Shearer did little wrong today and it was the missed chances in the 1st half that cost us. We were by far the better side in general play and without Carey Plymouth would have done nowt.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:47 pm

thefamilyvontrapp wrote:
Sneag wrote:
thefamilyvontrapp wrote:

I don't think it was 18 attempts from strikers though was it??

Which in its self is a problem don't you think?
Shallow empty inside,
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:53 pm

It's so frustrating. The first half was the best I have seen them play for a long time. The end result is just not there. Whiteman would have buried that chance a month ago. Also Greeny would have put his chance away in our Conference days. Apart from Rose I can't see any of our other strikers with us next season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:54 pm

It's the strikers' job to put the ball in the net. Although Whiteman had chances and one or two other players could have scored, the blame for the loss lies fairly and squarely with the strike force. They are not capable of being clinical - powder-puff is the term to use. Green played very nicely but it's no use to us.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:59 pm

We could have made up some ground today on other teams. A must win game on Tuesday night. A scrappy 1-0 off Pearce's backside will do me :mtfc:
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Rose and 3 other strikers next season....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Given the almost constant tripe we've been served up for many a year

(Positive post alert) if you can be raspberry, not score in 3 games and still be 8th - a position well above where were used to - if you're disappointed at that - it shows how far we've came.

The playoffs are the nettle we can grasp - it's there, we can do this.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:45 pm

This run is squarely down to the manager changing the winning formula (old ground again I know).
Have we won a game since he squeezed MacDonald in and went one up front?
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Bradders wrote:It's the strikers' job to put the ball in the net. Although Whiteman had chances and one or two other players could have scored, the blame for the loss lies fairly and squarely with the strike force. They are not capable of being clinical - powder-puff is the term to use. Green played very nicely but it's no use to us.

I agree it's the strikers job to score goals, but if a midfielder or defender for that matter, misses an easy chance then surely they should shoulder the blame. Whiteman's chance was the miss of the match.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Purely a rumour.. but someone told me Whiteman has been told he has a new contract ready at sheffield united or possibly signed a new one... has he come here and done enough to secure his future now he doesn't seem as bothered?

Contradictory to that i heard a few people talking about how much Whiteman likes this club, the manager, the players and the fans?

anyone "in the know" have any thoughts? I think he's worth trying to get and believe he likes it here. Thought he tried at cheltenham on a raspberry pitch, how did he do today?
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Wh_Stag wrote:Purely a rumour.. but someone told me Whiteman has been told he has a new contract ready at sheffield united or possibly signed a new one... has he come here and done enough to secure his future now he doesn't seem as bothered?

Contradictory to that i heard a few people talking about how much Whiteman likes this club, the manager, the players and the fans?

anyone "in the know" have any thoughts? I think he's worth trying to get and believe he likes it here. Thought he tried at cheltenham on a raspberry pitch, how did he do today?

I thought he played well and put in lots of effort. His finishing let him down today. One clear cut chance in particular.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:16 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Wh_Stag wrote:Purely a rumour.. but someone told me Whiteman has been told he has a new contract ready at sheffield united or possibly signed a new one... has he come here and done enough to secure his future now he doesn't seem as bothered?

I thought he played well and put in lots of effort. His finishing let him down today. One clear cut chance in particular.

I thought midfield as a whole were good, a couple of defensive errors and poor finishing cost us. Byrom was the pick, his passing is sublime.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:19 pm

White an had a cracking game as did most of the team
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:13 pm

daddycool wrote:White an had a cracking game as did most of the team
I was disappointed with White second half. I thought he tended to dwell on the ball too long, which slowed several of our attacks down.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum