{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clements joins Grimsby

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clements joins Grimsby

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:16 am

die hirsche wrote:He might not be lying but you just dont say that, absolute lack of class. We are the club that he's stolen a wage from for the last 4 years and club that gave his career a leg up.

He's a timid little mouse of a player and i reckon this is his timid little way of having a go at us.

Spot on, he's just another Ollie palmer. He thinks that he is better than he actually is. How we got money for these pair is beyond me, then they both have a go at the club that they left and didn't perform for 90% of the time.

All this talk of clem is class is rubbish, taffazoli was class and he performed 90% of the time, not 10% like clem and Ollie. He is also class off the field, paid the stags some respect saying what a good club we are. I bet shaq and possibly some others coming from Peterborough will have been told what a good club we are thanks to taff, that is class.
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:42 am

Bladders,
Like so many on here when someone expresses a different opinion, the dummy comes out.
OK, Cox and Murray liked him, I acknowledge he has skill and he will have shown that skill on the training pitch no doubt. Evans saw his ability, gave him the armband to see if it would spur him on, apparently it didn't and Collins got it back.
The previous managers and Evans have given him every opportunity to be consistent, that's consistent at League 2 level not Premier, not Championship but League 2.
Moore hopes he can do what the others could not and bring consistency into Clements game, it's a gamble Grimsby are willing to take. Odds on he will score against Notes County today, it won't change my opinion if he gets a hat trick of goals or assists.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Bradders wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Sorry Bladders have to disagree and repeat what I posted earlier, those who thought Clements was class do not have a clue.

When you witness class, even at League 2 level there is no mistaking it.

Cox and Murray played Clements over and over again and sang his praises, Evans handed him the Captain's armband, and now the Grimsby manager has had to lay out good money for his services. Yet you know better than the professionals who work at the job all year round and get paid for their advice and coaching expertise...okay...perhaps you should volunteer to advise them if you have noticed that he's poor, and tell them how they've failed to notice this? As it happens I agree with the pros on this, and I feel it gives my opinion some small backing!

I'm backing Evans, clearly a more experienced manager than Cox or Murray, who has very, very quickly got rid of Clements. He's been part of a very poor midfield and has rarely delivered since our promotion. Grimsby fans will soon be having the same debate we've had for the past 4 years :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:58 pm

oldweststander wrote:Bladders,
Like so many on here when someone expresses a different opinion, the dummy comes out.

:lol: I'm not spitting the dummy out, just also expressing a different opinion.
A number of times I've seen people commenting that Clements was hopeless in the last match and yet I saw him making lots of short incisive passes that seemed to go unnoticed to many but were a crucial contribution. They pick on a poor corner or free kick as if that's his main duty, or a single long pass that went astray.

And then next match he's yet again the first name on the teamsheet. He's been doing this for years - I just don't accept that it's favouritism from a couple of managers that have no idea about football and that the average fan is more expert. That Evans has got rid (for a substantial fee) simply means that he doesn't fit with his plans, not that he doesn't rate Clements. After all, he didn't get rid of him quickly but played him for ten matches (even though Rob claims that he hasn't, you can check!).
Clements' weakness is that he's not a versatile all-round midfielder, so no wonder he's still at 4th Division level, but he does add that touch of quality going forward and if Grimsby allow him time to develop he could become a favourite there.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:
die hirsche wrote:He might not be lying but you just dont say that, absolute lack of class. We are the club that he's stolen a wage from for the last 4 years and club that gave his career a leg up.

He's a timid little mouse of a player and i reckon this is his timid little way of having a go at us.

Spot on, he's just another Ollie palmer. He thinks that he is better than he actually is. How we got money for these pair is beyond me, then they both have a go at the club that they left and didn't perform for 90% of the time.

All this talk of clem is class is rubbish, taffazoli was class and he performed 90% of the time, not 10% like clem and Ollie. He is also class off the field, paid the stags some respect saying what a good club we are. I bet shaq and possibly some others coming from Peterborough will have been told what a good club we are thanks to taff, that is class.

Lack of class? all he's said is their fans are louder than ours and he's probably not wrong, Cant remember what palmer said but I'm sure it was far worse than this. He's hardly going to sing and dance about what a great club we are when he's giving an interview to his new club, and fans here hardly ever supported him.

He is a very good footballer, he's got a lot of good attributes, theres no doubt about that. Ive not seen a league two player be so aware and know where everyone else is on the pitch all the time. He's also had to play with Mcguire and Heslop in the past, he knew if he gave them the ball he wouldn't get it back... but the drive to control a game and really get stuck in and do it every week is what has held him back and that why he hasn't gone beyond this league. He's had some very good games and he's had to be a one man midfield for a long time, and i still think if we had played him further up the pitch he would of been even more effective. I think if i was him, id want a fresh start so good luck to him at grimsby, I'm sure he'll do well.
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Bradders wrote:

A number of times I've seen people commenting that Clements was hopeless in the last match and yet I saw him making lots of short incisive passes that seemed to go unnoticed to many but were a crucial contribution. They pick on a poor corner or free kick as if that's his main duty, or a single long pass that went astray.

And then next match he's yet again the first name on the teamsheet. He's been doing this for years - I just don't accept that it's favouritism from a couple of managers that have no idea about football and that the average fan is more expert. That Evans has got rid (for a substantial fee) simply means that he doesn't fit with his plans, not that he doesn't rate Clements. After all, he didn't get rid of him quickly but played him for ten matches (even though Rob claims that he hasn't, you can check!).
Clements' weakness is that he's not a versatile all-round midfielder, so no wonder he's still at 4th Division level, but he does add that touch of quality going forward and if Grimsby allow him time to develop he could become a favourite there.

He has got rid of Clements within 18 days of the transfer window for probably the only offer we had, yet bizarrely you think Evans rates him :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:

He has got rid of Clements within 18 days of the transfer window for probably the only offer we had, yet bizarrely you think Evans rates him :lol:

Bradders, I've been waiting 5 years for an "incisive pass".
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Bradders, I've been waiting 5 years for an "incisive pass".

He's not even a good midfielder just very bloody ordinary imo
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Wh_Stag wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:

Lack of class? all he's said is their fans are louder than ours and he's probably not wrong, Cant remember what palmer said but I'm sure it was far worse than this. He's hardly going to sing and dance about what a great club we are when he's giving an interview to his new club, and fans here hardly ever supported him.

He is a very good footballer, he's got a lot of good attributes, theres no doubt about that. Ive not seen a league two player be so aware and know where everyone else is on the pitch all the time. He's also had to play with Mcguire and Heslop in the past, he knew if he gave them the ball he wouldn't get it back... but the drive to control a game and really get stuck in and do it every week is what has held him back and that why he hasn't gone beyond this league. He's had some very good games and he's had to be a one man midfield for a long time, and i still think if we had played him further up the pitch he would of been even more effective. I think if i was him, id want a fresh start so good luck to him at grimsby, I'm sure he'll do well.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you do talk raspberrys.

Have you not read this thread?
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foxy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Oranges & Lemons
We've offloaded Chris Clements
And we're getting a fee
how the heck can that be?
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Wh_Stag wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:

He is not a very good footballer hence why we offloaded him. He is one game in five at best player. As for the rest could understand drinking early last Saturday but today :D Pint of what you on.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 pm

:lol:

pam ayres's got nothing on you foxy.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby x-type » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Straight into starting line up at Grimsby
x-type
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Stagsfan11 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Private Dunno wrote:Sam Morsey :lol:
Dont let your Cheaterfield bias get the better of you mate. He's far better than anything we've got. Bytheway it's a thought and no substance in it whatsoever, but I don't think he is getting game time at the moment.

I think he is laughing because there is not a chance Sam Morsy will be coming here when he is playing regularly in the Championship.

If that's the case fair enough. Morsy on loan at Barnsley but did not figure in the last game.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:29 pm

When we lost players like Green, Taff and even Thomas I thought this team is weakened by their loss. No such feeling with Clements. In all the time he has been here his improvement has been minimal. I think SE saw something in him and tried to bring it out before realising it wasn't going to work. I wish him well at Grimsby and hope he has a stormer against Notts today.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:30 pm

1-0 up against counteh
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Stagsfan11 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Dont let your Cheaterfield bias get the better of you mate. He's far better than anything we've got. Bytheway it's a thought and no substance in it whatsoever, but I don't think he is getting game time at the moment.

I think he is laughing because there is not a chance Sam Morsy will be coming here when he is playing regularly in the Championship.

If that's the case fair enough. Morsy on loan at Barnsley but did not figure in the last game.

That will be because he has returned to Wigan and scored 2 by half time today.
Flip, flop & fly, Mansfield till I die.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Stagsfan11 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

That will be because he has returned to Wigan and scored 2 by half time today.

Well I can dream. (Apparently they have given the second as an own goal).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Clements off for old man Dis, done f all
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Clements off for old man Dis, done f all

In all seriousness, how do you know.
Flip, flop & fly, Mansfield till I die.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Chris who ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:07 pm

Big yella wrote:

According to the Mariners site clements kept the ball moving forward had a good game.

Good luck to him now let's move on from this marmite discussion
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:52 pm

die hirsche wrote:
Wh_Stag wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you do talk raspberrys.

Have you not read this thread?

I've read it and what a shock I've got a different opinion.... do you know what one of those is?
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:44 am

SINA STAG wrote:
Big yella wrote:

According to the Mariners site clements kept the ball moving forward had a good game.

Good luck to him now let's move on from this marmite discussion

I'd go along with that. Put some nice passes into good area, got a good reception when he went off. As I said earlier in the thread I thought he could be Dis's replacement & he did replace him in the starting line up then Dis came on for him later in the game.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bristolstag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Who is our new boo-boy then?
Bristolstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum