{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Chesterfield

Postby dlb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:01 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Haha, is this dlb chap for real?

Climb down from your high horse you ball sack.

No one watches that level of tripe on TV.

Remind me where that win put you in the Vanarama National League table?

Pfffft. Loser.

Whoosh :lol:
dlb
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amberheart » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:28 pm

I will be there tomorrow with my Dagenham mates cheering the Daggers on
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:11 pm

yellafella wrote:About time this thread was pulled, was fun at first but now they are a complete irrelevance to us and to league football.

Nah, that is just too wide of the mark, asking for this thread to be pulled. Chesterfield are the footballing equivalent of the ‘Only Fools and Horses’ sketch where Del Boy falls through the serving hatch. They are the nations favourite joke and something that all ages, races and religions can laugh at for years to come.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:35 pm

dlb wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:I watched the Harrogate V Salford game the other night, just because it could possibly be of some relevance as they are both pushing for promotion.

It was dire, which made me think how terrible the Spireites must be to be in the bottom half of such a shockingly poor competition.

I doubt the standard of this league is much worse than when you graced it

It was an amazing achievement by Mad Dog to assemble such a shocking team in such a shocking league and I doubt many of us would contradict that

Getting an average of nearly 2 points a game with this lot is pretty good going by Shez even in this league

We were in there with much better clubs than your lot have had to contend with.

Oxford, Luton, Grimsby, Cambridge, York, Wrexham and Lincoln, who all had ex-league club pedigree, then we had Fleetwood, Crawley, Forest Green and Eastleigh throwing money at it that we couldn't contend with, with 3 out of those 4 being successful with it.

i just look at the teams in that league now and wish we would have been that lucky back then, as we wouldn't have had to spend 5 seasons in it.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:46 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
dlb wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:I watched the Harrogate V Salford game the other night, just because it could possibly be of some relevance as they are both pushing for promotion.

It was dire, which made me think how terrible the Spireites must be to be in the bottom half of such a shockingly poor competition.

It was an amazing achievement by Mad Dog to assemble such a shocking team in such a shocking league and I doubt many of us would contradict that

Getting an average of nearly 2 points a game with this lot is pretty good going by Shez even in this league

Oxford, Luton, Grimsby, Cambridge, York, Wrexham and Lincoln, who all had ex-league club pedigree, then we had Fleetwood, Crawley, Forest Green and Eastleigh throwing money at it that we couldn't contend with, with 3 out of those 4 being successful with it.

i just look at the teams in that league now and wish we would have been that lucky back then, as we wouldn't have had to spend 5 seasons in it.

Eastleigh were never in the Conference when we were.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby dlb » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:59 am

stagmanrob wrote:
dlb wrote:

All supposition

Being ex league means buggar all. Why would the standard suddenly drop as more and more clubs become full-time

Bonkers

We were cack this season in a cack league. Just admit you were cack in a cack league (for five seasons or whatever)
dlb
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HU7stag » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 am

You are. We were.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 am

dlb wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
dlb wrote:

All supposition

Being ex league means buggar all. Why would the standard suddenly drop as more and more clubs become full-time

Bonkers

We were cack this season in a cack league. Just admit you were cack in a cack league (for five seasons or whatever)

Ex-League clubs have bigger crowds than the others, thus have bigger budgets and can compete for the better loan signings from clubs higher up.

The fact that the majority of teams that went up whilst we were down there also went on to get promoted again into League One, goes to show the difference in support and budget levels.
You also have two more playoff spots available now, and the standard of teams in them now would never have been anywhere near them with the level of competition we had.

Harrogate Town, Sutton United, Solihull Moors etc wouldn't even get top 10.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:46 am

dlb wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
dlb wrote:

All supposition

Bonkers

Ok. We were cack in a cack(ish...) league for at least 3 of the 5 years we were down there. I think most if not all our fans would concur.
It took around 3 and a half years for the green shoots of recovery to appear but even then there were still only 2 promotion places so the chances of getting out remain the same. You need to be champions or you are in the lottery mixer alongside clubs of comparable form. No easy feat. It was looking inevitable that Wrexham would escape before us but multiple play off heartbreak has taken its toll. It could happen again (the odds are stacked in the favour of failure) must be so demoralising. :cry:
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:20 am

Nobody can say it’s easier now. It definitely isn’t easier than when we were down there. It’s a lottery just getting out!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:45 am

Only on team up automatic is dreadfull
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:49 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Only on team up automatic is dreadfull

I wouldn't say so, it's all about being worthy of a place in the Football League, being the best.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:28 pm

I think the season we went up was the hardest I’ve ever seen the conference, it’s nowhere near as hard in recent seasons
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:02 pm

While we were down there, Crawley, Fleetwood and Oxford were all very good non-league sides with the likes of Tubbs, Vardy and Constable. There was also Luton with Grey, and Grimsby with Amond, big clubs for that level with some quality players.

There are no big clubs with proper talismanic strikers down there. You might say Danny Rowe, but I doubt he'll ever play in the football league.

It's weaker now than it was.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby yellafella » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Add Burton Albion to that, undoubtedly the best side to ever play in the conference.
yellafella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:37 pm

yellafella wrote:Add Burton Albion to that, undoubtedly the best side to ever play in the conference.

Technically the best ever would be fleetwood
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellafella » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:58 pm

It's all about opinions I suppose, I thought Burton were far better than anyone else I saw down there and they went all the way to the championship pretty quickly, Fleetwood have not been able to match that so far.
yellafella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Spireites are cack. The Conferemce is cack.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:36 pm

adamstag wrote:I think the season we went up was the hardest I’ve ever seen the conference, it’s nowhere near as hard in recent seasons

Impossible to gauge really but who cares. We aren’t there :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:42 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
adamstag wrote:I think the season we went up was the hardest I’ve ever seen the conference, it’s nowhere near as hard in recent seasons

Good enough for me!
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:00 pm

adamstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Good enough for me!

:thumbup:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:32 pm

Completely disagree.. its not just promotion to the next league. Its the top of non league, the end of amateur/ semi pro football to the English Football league... I think to be guaranteed entry into the football league you should have to win the conference premier and come 1st, its like winning the premier league, the top league only one can win it. So it only seems fair because of the step up. The playoffs are there just to keep the rest of the table interesting. Even if we were down there id be against any more automatic spots.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Completely disagree.. its not just promotion to the next league. Its the top of non league, the end of amateur/ semi pro football to the English Football league... I think to be guaranteed entry into the football league you should have to win the conference premier and come 1st, its like winning the premier league, the top league only one can win it. So it only seems fair because of the step up. The playoffs are there just to keep the rest of the table interesting. Even if we were down there id be against any more automatic spots.

Well said.

On the sheep front they've passed the magical 50 point barrier and breathe a sigh of relief :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby dlb » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:06 pm

All aboard the Spireite Express - the old ones are the best
dlb
Youth Team