{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Chesterfield

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:31 pm

What an absolute joke this is.

As taxpayers in the Chesterfield area, does that mean myself, Random Hero, and mansfield_smooth on here can class ourselves as part owners of a pee poor little Non League club? :lol:

Absolutely no way that they will be able to pay that loan back, it's ridiculous.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Approved?

:O
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:04 pm

stagmanrob wrote:What an absolute joke this is.

As taxpayers in the Chesterfield area, does that mean myself, Random Hero, and mansfield_smooth on here can class ourselves as part owners of a pee poor little Non League club? :lol:

Absolutely no way that they will be able to pay that loan back, it's ridiculous.

Would you want to own a part of it?

It’s like saying you’ve got part ownership in a pile of horse $hite
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:00 pm

I'll break the status quo.

Love it that they are getting their spell in non-league, but really pleased that they are getting rid of the owners. I miss the derby match and hopefully we can rub their noses in it for a few more years before they recover.

Not sure about the council lending them.money though, it seems unethical to me.based.upon the current circumstances
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Loan secured against the stadium.

Land alone will be worth more than £1m.

There's a covenant against the stadium that it can only be for sporting use... but if the ownership went to the council if they default on payments, I dare say that could be removed by the council.

Can't imagine the council evicting them and turning it into property though. It's an odd one.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:38 am

stagmanrob wrote:What an absolute joke this is.

As I see it Stagmanrob , the good news is you are not a part owner of a Non League football club, as the councils have not bought the club. They have loaned money to enable a group to purchase the club.
The bad news is you may find your pot holes becoming bigger, your dustbins emptied less frequently and if needed you could be required to pay more towards your care. :(
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 am

Taking out a £1M loan to buy a non league club that is haemorrhaging money, in an in industry that is in absolute dire straits due to the pandemic.

What could possibly go wrong :roll:

Don’t you normally pay a quid for such a debacle :?:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:02 am

From a council stand point it looks a sound investment.

If (and it looks a big if) they keep up repayments over the 15 year period, then they get a return from the agreed rate of interest.

If they don't, then the council (who I presume could have control over the sporting covenant on the ground and could pass any future planning permission) gets a stadium and land it sits on worth a lot more than a million quid.

But... and the big but is... would they evict the local football team?

They loaned the club £1m previously and that was paid off... but those were the days when they were selling players regularly for half a million plus at least once or twice a season.
They have no saleable assets now player-wise, and no proper academy due to no EFL funding, so it looks like they are digging a hole they will struggle to get out of to me.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:00 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Loan secured against the stadium.

There's a covenant against the stadium that it can only be for sporting use... but if the ownership went to the council if they default on payments, I dare say that could be removed by the council.

Can't imagine the council evicting them and turning it into property though. It's an odd one.

Only ending one way. Never going to be a loan. Not a prayer og paying that back. To even stop the losses and break even will be a miracle. Like to know their business plan. Common sense would be part time. Chucking money at a one season gamble on promotion could be suicide and end of with the council flogging the land to get their money back.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:05 pm

wink68 wrote:

Only ending one way. Never going to be a loan. Not a prayer og paying that back. To even stop the losses and break even will be a miracle. Like to know their business plan. Common sense would be part time. Chucking money at a one season gamble on promotion could be suicide and end of with the council flogging the land to get their money back.

How can the loan be secured against the stadium when the stadium will still be owned by Allen.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 pm

part time pete wrote:
wink68 wrote:

How can the loan be secured against the stadium when the stadium will still be owned by Allen.

Maybe the stadium is part of the deal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:16 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
part time pete wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Maybe the stadium is part of the deal.

Supposedly everything is. Stadium, conferencing/banqueting, and the kiddies play area bit at the back.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Doesn't Karen Childs not own t'stand she paid for?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Congratulations to the Chesterfield Community Trust and well done to Derbyshire County Council and Chesterfield Borough Council. I very much doubt the Stags would have received the same support from Notts County Council and Mansfield District Council.

The Community Trust have a massive job on their hands including having 10 players under contract who they cannot afford. I've seen talk already of Chesterfield building a promotion winning squad but the Community Trust need to lower everybody's expectations and just aim for survival for the first 2-3 seasons. They may also need to drop down to National League North as part of the rebuilding process. They have got an extremely hard job on their hands and it can be a hard slog for supporter owned clubs as the likes of Wrexham, Chester and Darlington have discovered. Good luck to them. I will be happy to see them back in the Football League once they have served their 5 years.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Congratulations to the Chesterfield Community Trust and well done to Derbyshire County Council and Chesterfield Borough Council. I very much doubt the Stags would have received the same support from Notts County Council and Mansfield District Council.

The Community Trust have a massive job on their hands including having 10 players under contract who they cannot afford. I've seen talk already of Chesterfield building a promotion winning squad but the Community Trust need to lower everybody's expectations and just aim for survival for the first 2-3 seasons. They may also need to drop down to National League North as part of the rebuilding process. They have got an extremely hard job on their hands and it can be a hard slog for supporter owned clubs as the likes of Wrexham, Chester and Darlington have discovered. Good luck to them. I will be happy to see them back in the Football League once they have served their 5 years.

I'd have thought MDC might have chipped in for the sheep too, afterall they invest money in most things apart from their own town :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 pm

They're owned by a charity who are backed by a couple of councils.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:45 pm

Chesterfields playing budget is probably going to get slashed in half now they have no sugar daddy supporting them :lol:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:27 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Congratulations to the Chesterfield Community Trust and well done to Derbyshire County Council and Chesterfield Borough Council. I very much doubt the Stags would have received the same support from Notts County Council and Mansfield District Council.

They need to serve at least 6 years Darren, one more than we did.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:52 am

10 players under contract from a squad that narrowly avoided a third relegation in recent years.

Players signed to fill out the rest of the squad will have to be on much less of budget than they've probably ever had in their entire history I would assume.

They're going to do well to stay up.... I'd love it if they went down though. They've not had the full Non-League experience until their local derby is at Alfreton :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 am

stagmanrob wrote:10 players under contract from a squad that narrowly avoided a third relegation in recent years.

Players signed to fill out the rest of the squad will have to be on much less of budget than they've probably ever had in their entire history I would assume.

They're going to do well to stay up.... I'd love it if they went down though. They've not had the full Non-League experience until their local derby is at Alfreton :lol:

They'll be looking at worse than that hopefully... Staveley Miners Welfare anyone :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:01 am

They could have good derbies against Matlock Town, Buxton, Belper, Worksop Town, Sheffield FC, Mickleover and Ilkeston in the Northern Premier Leagues.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:12 am

Maybe they could be a good place to send some of our youngsters particularly defenders. The conference is a good testing ground for an introduction to men's football and the short travelling distance should make it easier for the lads.

You certainly need a good work ethic in non league and the experience should help development. We should also consider Alfreton for the same reasons.

If the lads are doing well and it's looking like the sheep may succeed, we can always recall them at a vital moment just for the laugh.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:14 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Chesterfields playing budget is probably going to get slashed in half now they have no sugar daddy supporting them :lol:
In a couple of years from now they might be reminiscing about the good old days under their previous rich benefactor Mr Allen when they have a mid table fixture coming up against Bradford Park Avenue. Then again their reduced budget might even be enough for success if other clubs (the Macclesfield's of tiers 4 and 5) have to cut back or even go out of existence.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:04 am

They’ve done it all before , I remember the smug digs disguised as talks they gave us at the civic centre .
Their Councils have realised that the club brings more money into the area
Unlike MDC .
6 years in the pit of misery will do for them
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:08 am

It's a bit of a leap into the unknown now for them. The security Allen brings will be gone and the new group probably won't be able to finance the club sustainably. I imagine their plan will be to facilitate a sale to a more able owner as soon as possible, but there's no guarantee they'll find someone. It's similar to the situation we had immediately post-Haslam. Could go either way for them.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum