{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

I'm surprised......

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

I'm surprised......

Postby STEVE STIFFLER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am

That nobody has touched upon how good Aswad Thomas, the 23 year old left back, number 3 for them was, definitely a young Ashley Cole type player.

Marcus Marshall, Grimsby no.26 also looks to be comfortable on the ball and shown some neat touches.

Then the other player that caught me and my dads eye was there number 11 who shown the quality similar to that of Luka Modric.

Might be worth having a look at these guys in the summer.
STEVE STIFFLER
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: I'm surprised......

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 am

Cod-eads pay higher than us, ask Hannah !
Grimsby are still a good side & will make the play offs IMO
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 am

Aswad Thomas - I've seen him a lot for Woking and he's decent but not outstanding. He played well last night.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby kwambo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 am

(tin hat on)

thought naylor played well for them in cm
kwambo
First Team
First Team

Postby STEVE STIFFLER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Aswad Thomas - I've seen him a lot for Woking and he's decent but not outstanding. He played well last night.

I understand he perhaps raised his game on the night as he was up against superior opposition.
STEVE STIFFLER
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:01 pm

That devitt looked quite tricky
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby mingster30 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:11 pm

congrats on last night ,although i do think we deserved at least a point ,bt thats football .Good luck for rest of season ,
mingster30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby mingster30 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:13 pm

You should have seen aswad and marcus BEFORE we got to Wembley ,as a town fan i can tell you they are alot better than they played last night
mingster30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:16 pm

STEVE STIFFLER wrote:That nobody has touched upon how good Aswad Thomas, the 23 year old left back, number 3 for them was, definitely a young Ashley Cole type player.

Marcus Marshall, Grimsby no.26 also looks to be comfortable on the ball and shown some neat touches.

Then the other player that caught me and my dads eye was there number 11 who shown the quality similar to that of Luka Modric.

Might be worth having a look at these guys in the summer.

Grimsby have Modric and Cole in their side.... wow :shock:
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

mingster30 wrote:You should have seen aswad and marcus BEFORE we got to Wembley ,as a town fan i can tell you they are alot better than they played last night

Sorry but I don't buy the whole Wembley thing. Wrexham are top of the league (and they are going to Wembley), and York won the play-offs and finished in great form despite thir FA Trophy final... It's bad management and/or team focus that is to blame. If you can't handle one extra fixture at Wembley, heaven knows how you'll get on in the play-offs.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:20 pm

Grimsby have lots of quality players. I would not complain if we had any of McKeown, Hatton, Thomas, Pearson, Miller, Disley, Devitt, Marshall, Cook, Hannah and even Brodie in our squad. They may not get in the first team but I would be happy they were in our squad. Furthermore, the art of good management is not just having the best players but finding a way to mould them into an effective winning team.

Aswad Thomas is an excellent attacking left back. One of the best in the League. However, he did not have as much opportunity to go forward last night as Linden and Louis kept him penned back. Sam Hatton is another very good attacking full back but did not look as good last night as when he played for AFC Wimbledon and Junior Daniel caused him problems when he had a run at him. Tom Naylor had a cracking game in midfield. He helped to cut off the supply to Greeny and looked dangerous going forward. I thought he had been brought down in the box in the second half but the ref just gave the free kick. I'm looking forward to watching the highlights.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 pm

I heard when young Aswad was getting on the team coach he looked a bit down and the manager tried to cheer him up by saying

"We've got to give a little love, have a little hope, Let's make this world a little better
Try a little more, harder than before, Let's do what we can do together"

But he didn't Turn Around in case they could see his heart breaking. And he didn't turn around around cos he didn't want them seeing him cryin'. He just walked away. You could tell it was tearing him apart he was leaving.

I'm just letting you know
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby mingster30 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:32 pm

i,m not blaming Wembley, all i,m saying is at the moment we are having a dip in form , your on a great run and i,m sure you understand in every season teams have runs like this whoever they are .It was a really enjoyable night last night and hopw it happens again next season in the football league .Good luck for your remaining fixtures.
mingster30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:33 pm

I may be biased but I didn't think Aswad looked much cop at all he got absolutely burned for pace a couple of times. I'm not just saying this either but can't remember number 11? Who was he? Marshall looked good but there best player for me was Disley was a massive plus for us he went off and then Rheady giving Pearson nightmares pushed us over.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:39 pm

mingster30 wrote:i,m not blaming Wembley, all i,m saying is at the moment we are having a dip in form , your on a great run and i,m sure you understand in every season teams have runs like this whoever they are .It was a really enjoyable night last night and hopw it happens again next season in the football league .Good luck for your remaining fixtures.

Fair play. Good luck in the play-offs, and hopefully meet again in league 2 next season.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STEVE STIFFLER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:43 pm

Number 11 was jumping around in front of Marriott for one of their free kicks.
STEVE STIFFLER
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 pm

STEVE STIFFLER wrote:Number 11 was jumping around in front of Marriott for one of their free kicks.

I thought he was 15? Age and number!!
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby STEVE STIFFLER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:
STEVE STIFFLER wrote:Number 11 was jumping around in front of Marriott for one of their free kicks.

I thought he was 15? Age and number!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Artus
STEVE STIFFLER
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Foxy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Aswad said 54-46 was my number

:drummer:
Last edited by Foxy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 pm

I thought it was devitt jumping around?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STEVE STIFFLER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm sure it was Grimsby's answer to Luka Modric. The left winger.
STEVE STIFFLER
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STEVE STIFFLER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Changing the subject I thought Grimsby's strikers were pathetic and offered them nothing.
STEVE STIFFLER
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tmwilson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Talking to Grimsby fan before the game he didn't blame Wembley at all but intrestingly enough he said all the new signngs has distrupted the balance of the club. A lot of their fans have said they haven't played as well since the new year so maybe he has a point.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:42 pm

I think one of their problems were that they have had a few loanees who have had to go back to their parent club ( ie Pond).
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:50 pm

STEVE STIFFLER wrote:I'm sure it was Grimsby's answer to Luka Modric. The left winger.

It was the left winger but that was Devitt I don't think Artus played.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum