{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Matt Green - Stags legend

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Matt Green - Stags legend

Postby Stoney » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:27 pm

This bloke is ridiculously good and I know we're in non league but he's getting into a similar bracket of Barker/Greenacre for me. He's probably the fittest player at the club and doesn't stop running all day long, added with the class and quality he has he's just too good for MTFC and this league, luckily for us he's happy here and long may it continue.

He's scored around 40 in 75 games for us now in the league, if he carries on like this for 2/3 more years and fires us into the football league he will be held in high regard for years to come from me at least.

Legend in the making.
Keep up the fantastic work ethic Greeny.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Re: Matt Green - Stags legend

Postby HU7stag » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Agree with the above, however, isn't he out of contract at the end of the season?
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:36 pm

43 goals in 73 apperances according to wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Green ... tballer%29

Strangely i was just looking at his stats when this post came in, and totally agree he should certainly be talked about in the same breath as Barker and Greenacre, his stats show he's better then other recent legends.

Green - 43 in 73
Barker - 40 in 95
Greenacre - 49 in 121
Christie - 44 in 153
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Green does a great job for us, no matter what some think.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:37 pm

HU7stag wrote:Agree with the above, however, isn't he out of contract at the end of the season?

Didn't realise he was, I hope not. If so I'd offer him a 3 year deal tomorrow!

There's only him who could play that role up front on his own, he's just too good.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Jamie wrote:43 goals in 73 apperances according to wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Green ... tballer%29

Strangely i was just looking at his stats when this post came in, and totally agree he should certainly be talked about in the same breath as Barker and Greenacre, his stats show he's better then other recent legends.

Green - 43 in 73
Barker - 40 in 95
Greenacre - 49 in 121
Christie - 44 in 153

You can, of course, only score in the league you are in, but it has to be pointed out that all the other names on that list scored at league level.

As for legend, not yet, but if his goals get us out of this league, I'll craft a granite statue of him with my bare hands in his honour.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Stoney wrote:
HU7stag wrote:Agree with the above, however, isn't he out of contract at the end of the season?

There's only him who could play that role up front on his own, he's just too good.

He signed a 18-month contract in Jan 13. I can't remember if he signed a contract extension or not? Let's hope he did.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 pm

HU7stag wrote:
Stoney wrote:

He signed a 18-month contract in Jan 13. I can't remember if he signed a contract extension or not? Let's hope he did.

You'd imagine if the contract is out at the end of the season we have atleast held talks.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Fair point Rob... If this team was promoted and played league two next year, with Coxy in charge, same style and Green as the front man, i still think he'd score goals at a similar rate.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Conker wrote:
HU7stag wrote:
Stoney wrote:

You'd imagine if the contract is out at the end of the season we have atleast held talks.

With a bit of luck.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby withnail » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Getting Greeny signed up for the long-term has to be a priority, he oozes class and could well be our Jack Lester. Hopefully JR has given/ will give Cox the necessary funds keep him here.

The term legend is used too freely nowadays, but he's certainly on the way up to be with the likes of McCaffery, Cassells, Greenacre and Barker in my estimation.
withnail
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:03 pm

withnail wrote:Getting Greeny signed up for the long-term has to be a priority, he oozes class and could well be our Jack Lester. Hopefully JR has given/ will give Cox the necessary funds keep him here.

The term legend is used too freely nowadays, but he's certainly on the way up to be with the likes of McCaffery, Cassells, Greenacre and Barker in my estimation.

'Our Jack Lester'. Green should not be compared with a no mark Spireite. He's far better.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dudleys Head » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Barker, Greenacre and Christie had pretty good service when they played. Greenie spends most of his time playing off scraps. God only knows how he does so well.
Dudleys Head
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Rob wrote:You can, of course, only score in the league you are in, but it has to be pointed out that all the other names on that list scored at league level.

As for legend, not yet, but if his goals get us out of this league, I'll craft a granite statue of him with my bare hands in his honour.

Not a fair point. By the same token he's supported by a team of non-league players, so that cancels out the fact that he's playing against non-league opposition.

And when tested against a defence of Premier League (if not international) quality, what does he do? Scores.

Legend.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Tollerton Stag Man » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Great point Bradders-- Matt Green is a stags legend, he plays in our team, he is prolific , works hard, genuine great guy, he is up there with Keith Cassells, Chrissy G etc.

Well done Matt- you will always be a star to me and my young son Charles, if you read this board he loves you, and shouts your name when we play football in Bridgford VIllage- close to the world famous City Ground.... :coys:
Tollerton Stag Man
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richmond Stag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:33 am

Jamie wrote:Fair point Rob... If this team was promoted and played league two next year, with Coxy in charge, same style and Green as the front man, i still think he'd score goals at a similar rate.

I hate it when I agree with you Jamie - but I think you are right!
Richmond Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby ParisStag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:30 am

Our best player by a country mile. People have talked about others on here recently, Roberts for his skill, Murray for his effort, Marriot for his reliability and all deserved, but Greeny is without doubt the star of this team, our best player since Barker and close to moving ahead in the legend league table.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby parkstag1966 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 am

That lad gets kicked up and down the park, by defenders right across the Country, and he just gets up and gets on with it.

Greeny is an excellent striker, and a very talented footballer as well.

Compare him to some of the whinging strikers we've had at the club in recent years, Rob Duffy/ Keigan Parker etc, and you'll soon realise that Greeny is in a different league to such players.

Mathew Green is our talisman striker, and quite rightly so.

He's the sort of player, that makes you proud to follow Mansfield to away games, because when Greeny runs on to the pitch, you know that if he gets even the slightest whiff of a chance, He'll score.

He must be one of the most improved players in the BSP in the last couple of years.

But for me, the best thing about Mathew Green, is that he really wants to do well for our club. He really does care about wearing the Amber and Blue.

Mathew is one of us!

Long may it continue!

:mtfc:
Last edited by parkstag1966 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
parkstag1966
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:35 am

Greeny is class for this league absolutely agree, however to class him in the same bracket as the great Keith Cassells, I can only assume you make that comment never seeing him play?

Well done Greeny
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:39 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Greeny is class for this league absolutely agree, however to class him in the same bracket as the great Keith Cassells, I can only assume you make that comment never seeing him play?

Well done Greeny

I never saw Cassells but wouldn't you agree he's not far off becoming in the same bracket as Barker/Chrissy? He certainly brings enough to our games IMO, his strength in holding it up has improved so much this season too. Some of his touches when the balls just lumped up to his chest is barmy, league 1 class at least.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:44 am

Stoney, I think you have it spot on, "well on the way to", just think how good he would be with a strike partner ?

Not sure about league one mate, let's just hope It's league two with us next season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:47 am

Not yet a legend in my view but if he shoots us back into the FL it's straight to sainthood for me !!

The man who is close to becoming a legend is Muzza - absolutely o/s yesterday
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Starstag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:55 am

Matt green is a legend and the stats speak for them selfs. Must get him tied long term sharpish, other clubs keep sniffing.
Lets see a little mansfield magic.
Starstag
First Team
First Team

Postby mattstag14 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:19 am

If Green helps us get int the FL he should be given the freedom of the town. The guy is phenomenol he really is. One of the best strikers I've seen at the club.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Postby dave E stag » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 am

Matt Green is a legend. People always look back and think about the greats like Cassells Greenacre Barker et al. well Greenie is doing exactly the same for our great club that they did, the level makes no difference to that. IMO Matt is as good a striker as any of those we we have had in the past relatively speaking and just as exciting to watch.........a sublime finish again yesterday btw....and i did watch the others live........well those we have had since 1976 at least.
dave E stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum