{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grimsby bench

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Grimsby bench

Postby geoffhill » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Naylor Brodie and Colbeck all on their bench.Impressive. the run-in is not going to be easynight.Thought we were poor last night missed Howell in midfield.The pitch was difficult but 3 points was so important.Listened to Hockaday's interview after their loss last night and they have signed Lee fowler who is an excellent midfielder.Have we got enough strength to see off the better sides?
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Re: Grimsby bench

Postby lifestags » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Simple answer YES look at our squad we have Pilkington and Geoahgan not even on the bench! Tolley who has not played in months! Nick Wright who is dying for a kick... Our squad is good enough! The only position i can say where we could add is Center Mid
lifestags
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 pm

lifestags wrote:Simple answer YES look at our squad we have Pilkington and Geoahgan not even on the bench! Tolley who has not played in months! Nick Wright who is dying for a kick... Our squad is good enough! The only position i can say where we could add is Center Mid

Never thought I'd see that after the signings this season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 pm

I thought the pitch was the best we had seen for a while. If you think that's bad, wait till you see Woking
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Grimsby have a strength and depth that no other side does - we have the depth, not the strength - Green gets injured, who do we have right now, er? they have Brodie just for example

Not that I would ever admit it elsewhere, but they should really win the title handsdown
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I thought the pitch was the best we had seen for a while. If you think that's bad, wait till you see Woking

Problem with the pitch and strong breeze last night was the ball was too lively and pitch to bobbly.

The players just could not control the ball. Perhaps better players could have, but BSP players had a massive problem last night and it showed.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby rob_bie33 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:19 pm

pete wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I thought the pitch was the best we had seen for a while. If you think that's bad, wait till you see Woking

Problem with the pitch and strong breeze last night was the ball was too lively and pitch to bobbly.

The players just could not control the ball. Perhaps better players could have, but BSP players had a massive problem last night and it showed.

Agreed, I heard a few people saying the pitch looked good (which it did to the naked eye), but you could see the ball bobbling all over the place.
rob_bie33
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby eggy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:20 pm

adamstag wrote:Green gets injured, who do we have right now, er?

Hutchinson, Wright, Speight (when he's back). Not the same as Greeny obviously, but if the ten men behind them can do a job then we will be fine.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 pm

adamstag wrote:Grimsby have a strength and depth that no other side does - we have the depth, not the strength - Green gets injured, who do we have right now, er? they have Brodie just for example

Not that I would ever admit it elsewhere, but they should really win the title handsdown

Yes, we can compete for the title, but if Green was injured or suspended we would have the same problem as we had 2nd leg against York last year in the playoffs. Green would be a massive loss and we have no-one to replace him.

Cox isnt going to change the way he plays (lone striker) so we need someone else as back up who can do that job.

Other crucial areas are centre mid, despite the high number of players we signed, who is going to come in if Howell is sidelined and Clements doesnt step up??

The other obvious area would be an injury to Marriott but weve just got to hope to be lucky there.

If we are really going to go for automatic promotion, now we are in a position to do it, I'd bring in a striker that can play the Green role and an additional quality centre mid.
victor A block
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:24 pm

The centre midfield problem could be solved by playing Beevers there and Sutton at right back, or drafting Thompson into central midfield.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby parkstag1966 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 pm

I thought the pitch looked massive! :shock: ...But there were no major issues with the condition of it, although players from both sides did lose their footing at times.

Definately the widest we have played on this season.

It didn't help as we played pretty narrow last night, I can't remember one run down the wing to the byline in the first half by Colin Daniel.

Much better second half when Lindon came on with about 25-30 left, and tried to run at them down the wing.

I'm not sure if Lindon should start on Saturday? but He definately made a difference last night when he came on.

:mtfc:
parkstag1966
First Team
First Team

Postby stagparty » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:49 pm

parkstag1966 wrote:
I'm sure Lindon should start on Saturday? He definately made a difference last night when he came on.

Corrected that for you, hope you don't mind.

We commented on how well the pitch looked TBH though correct one or two did lose footing, had it been watered ?
20/04/2013 Back where we belong.
stagparty
First Team
First Team

Postby parkstag1966 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 pm

stagparty wrote:
parkstag1966 wrote:
I'm sure Lindon should start on Saturday? He definately made a difference last night when he came on.

We commented on how well the pitch looked TBH though correct one or two did lose footing, had it been watered ?

No problem.

I'm quite open minded on whether Lindon starts on Saturday or not?

Three days of training that we wont see between now and then, so I'm sure Coxy will do what he feels best.

No arguing Lindon made a big difference last night though.

parkstag1966
First Team
First Team

Postby bux46 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Tottaly disagree Martin .... it may have looked good but would be interested to see what the players thoughts were ... i was shocked when one of there players threw the ball to a team mate that landed short and bounced over his head .... i suppose when our MAIN site is updated we may get their veiw
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:09 pm

It looked good, but looks can be deceiving.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I didn't say it was good, i said it was better than most we have played on recently and considerably better than Woking which i saw two weeks ago
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby rob_bie33 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:32 pm

I think we've got used to playing on sticky, muddy pitches recently, such as our own, rather than ones like Lincoln where it was bouncing all over the place and skidding on a lot. Maybe we'll be happy to play at Woking?
rob_bie33
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby AlanStag » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 pm

parkstag1966 wrote:
stagparty wrote:
parkstag1966 wrote:

No problem.

Three days of training that we wont see between now and then, so I'm sure Coxy will do what he feels best.

The argument against him not starting though is that in the last 2 games he's come off the bench and had a hand in winning us the game, showing that he's best used as an impact sub and not from the off. ;)
I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Mansfield 'till I die!
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Wil0211 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:57 pm

AlanStag wrote:
parkstag1966 wrote:
stagparty wrote:
parkstag1966 wrote:

No problem.

The argument against him not starting though is that in the last 2 games he's come off the bench and had a hand in winning us the game, showing that he's best used as an impact sub and not from the off. ;)

Lindon for me is an impact player and can come on to run at tired legs. Lindon and Rhead are effective as impact players as they offer something different. Been very impressed with Rhead when he has come off the bench as causes big problems, he was evidently less effective when he was starting games. Same with Lindon really was in poor form when he was starting but has made a difference when he has come on - if it's not broken and all that!! Howell needs to be replaced as Clements is clearly not the answer in that role, would like to see a Central Midfielder come in on loan - Gary Roberts could have been that player if only his off the field problems did not rasie their head again.
Wil0211
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby West Ham 1969 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Agree, I think Lindon and Rheady introduced fresh with 20 mins to go will always cause problems to teams at this level...well managed Coxy, keep it up.
West Ham 1969
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stuhall1973 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 pm

West Ham 1969 wrote:Agree, I think Lindon and Rheady introduced fresh with 20 mins to go will always cause problems to teams at this level...well managed Coxy, keep it up.

Rheady was immense when he came on against Lincoln, loved his urging us on after the goal had been scored.

Top bloke.
stuhall1973
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum