{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coxy's Post January record

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Coxy's Post January record

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 pm

I've just been looking at Paul Coxy's post January record for both us and Eastwood in the last 3 seasons, and it makes ridiculous reading, for us:

Played 31, Won 24, Drawn 3, Lost 4, Goals For 77, Against 28. 75 points out of a possible 93. Average of 2.42 points per game.

For Eastwood:

Played 25, Won 17, Drawn, 7, Lost 1 Goals For 58, Against 23. 58 points out of a possible 75. Average of 2.32 points per game.

Together its:

Played 56, Won 41, Drawn 10, Lost 5, Goals For, 135, Against 51. 133 points out of a possible 168. Total average of 2.38 points per game played after January.

If he continues that form for us then we're looking at another 36 points, worst case is 35 points. Giving us 91/92 points.

There cant be a manager in any other professional league with such a record.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Re: Coxy's Post January record

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Just think if he could do that Pre-January :)
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby mansfield_smooth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 pm

thats mind blowing stuff mark! wowzers
Together
Everybody
Achieves
More

TEAM - we can all play our parts for all things good for MTFC
mansfield_smooth
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I've just been looking at Paul Coxy's post January record for both us and Eastwood in the last 3 seasons, and it makes ridiculous reading, for us:

Played 31, Won 24, Drawn 3, Lost 4, Goals For 77, Against 28. 75 points out of a possible 93. Average of 2.42 points per game.

For Eastwood:

Played 25, Won 17, Drawn, 7, Lost 1 Goals For 58, Against 23. 58 points out of a possible 75. Average of 2.32 points per game.

Together its:

Played 56, Won 41, Drawn 10, Lost 5, Goals For, 135, Against 51. 133 points out of a possible 168. Total average of 2.38 points per game played after January.

If he continues that form for us then we're looking at another 36 points, worst case is 35 points. Giving us 91/92 points.

There cant be a manager in any other professional league with such a record.

I find it really bizarre to be honest.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:16 pm

That just makes me feel the more frustrated. Another fistfull of points during that decidedly average first 5 months and we'd be top right now.

Saying all that, I'm pretty confident that we'll at least grab enough points for the play offs.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby thon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 pm

for me, the explanation as to why this perhaps doesn't happen in the 1st half of the season (so far), is that he has been successful.

he had successive promotions with eastwood. that means re-building the side every year, to one degree or another. he re-built the side when he came here, he then was rewarded after achieving 3rd place with a lot more money - and whatever the ins and outs and the wisdom of using that cash - it means he has probably re-built his side as a result of this success, every year that he has been a manager.

what is shown without any doubt, is that this guy knows how to build a winning side. that he has techniques and a proven method of doing so.

that he doesn't just pick 11 men, send them out on the pitch in a standard 4-4-2 formation, and tell them to go and 'express themselves', or other such empty instructions. it shows that he can get the best out of his players (those who want to), that he can get inside their heads, that they respect him, that he genuinely wants his players to do well, and that he knows how to mould a team.

this has long been pretty obvious to anyone who has looked at the figures, but perhaps doing this for a second season at Field Mill will convince the rest of the fanbase of this.

this is a guy who really knows what he's doing.
thon

Postby gavinbrookes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:53 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:That just makes me feel the more frustrated. Another fistfull of points during that decidedly average first 5 months and we'd be top right now.

Saying all that, I'm pretty confident that we'll at least grab enough points for the play offs.

Totally agree with you there Doomy. If only we could have at least been floating around the play-offs pre-xmas, we'd be running away with it now. I have no doubt that we will make the play-offs. Winning them is an altogether different matter.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby robda1st » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:22 pm

91/92 points will grab you the titles so if cox just does his average we will be champions :D
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby AdamAborigine » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:32 pm

That's just incredible - Hoping the habit continues..
AdamAborigine
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:05 pm

thon wrote:for me, the explanation as to why this perhaps doesn't happen in the 1st half of the season (so far), is that he has been successful.

he had successive promotions with eastwood. that means re-building the side every year, to one degree or another. he re-built the side when he came here, he then was rewarded after achieving 3rd place with a lot more money - and whatever the ins and outs and the wisdom of using that cash - it means he has probably re-built his side as a result of this success, every year that he has been a manager.

what is shown without any doubt, is that this guy knows how to build a winning side. that he has techniques and a proven method of doing so.

that he doesn't just pick 11 men, send them out on the pitch in a standard 4-4-2 formation, and tell them to go and 'express themselves', or other such empty instructions. it shows that he can get the best out of his players (those who want to), that he can get inside their heads, that they respect him, that he genuinely wants his players to do well, and that he knows how to mould a team.

this has long been pretty obvious to anyone who has looked at the figures, but perhaps doing this for a second season at Field Mill will convince the rest of the fanbase of this.

So you are basically saying that he rebuilds a side knowing it will do badly at the start of the season but will eventually come good - a rather bizarre argument. We finished third last season and had an outstanding end of season, we needed tinkering not rebuilding. I am thrilled at the current run, but the fact remains that had we been in this sort of form since August, we would be looking down on everyone. His transfer dealings in the summer cost the club a small fortune and he himself has admitted he made mistakes. The recent run has coincided with him picking a settled side and playing a mixed style of football - long gone is the constant long ball stuff, you only have to look at some of our recent goals to see there is a more incisive style about our attacking play. I still do not think he has it quite right (the defence is still a worry) and at the start of the season had you said we'd be 6th in mid-February many would have said that was below expectation - yes we have a couple of games in hand so may yet be 4th by right, but even that would have been acceptable and not much more given his wage budget. I think he probably is a decent manager, but if we don't go up and start badly next season, I very much doubt he will be given a further full season to correct his mistakes.

So save the statue building until the end of the season thon :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby thon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Rob wrote:So you are basically saying that he rebuilds a side knowing it will do badly at the start of the season but will eventually come good - a rather bizarre argument.

no, Rob, i think you have missed my point.

most seasons as a manager he has either gone into a new club (twice, obviously), or got them promoted. both of these eventualities usually lead to a fair element of re-building the squad. both of these things (new club or promotion), are down to his own success.

the only season that is different to this, is this season. where re-building was not entirely necessary, but where the opportunity to re-build originated from his own success in his first season with us.

so no, i'm not saying it's done deliberately, what i am saying is that all of his re-building has been as a direct result of his own success, and for all but one season has probably therefore been necessary.

what i am then saying, is that he is clearly accustomed to shaping a team over the course of a season, and is able to repeat this year after year - so there is obviously some method there, and i think this is an indicator that the man truly knows what he is doing. he is not all mouth and no trousers like curle, holdsworth, etc.

so as for the first half of our seasons, i think a lesson will be learned about the first half of this one, and as an when we have some sort of stability of the level we are playing it (League 1, if that happens, if he is still here?), i would expect to see us having a fairly stable squad and a more even run of results over the course of a season.

but the fact is that Cox has obviously managed sides that have always been in transition, and all of that has happened because he has taken them higher than anybody else had managed to.
thon

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:29 pm

If Riley and ex had not left (not Coxy's fault) then we could possibly be top now.

We had to start this season with a brand new back 4.

If we get into the play offs then the first thing to do would be to offer players a contract for next season now with a bonus if they win the play offs thus season.

If we fail in the play offs then at least we can keep a settled side going into next season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Bear in mind that the recent run of form started back in early November.

I think that the OP wasn't trying to make the point that Cox always waits until February to get things sorted, more that the runs from Feb until the end of season have been spectacular no matter what goes before.

I'd agree that he's had to chop and change quite a bit for various reasons (whether of his own making or not) but once he settles on a side it does really well. In the current season he managed this fairly early on, and although it would have been nice to have had a better August; after that we did well and it was only the cup matches that made November look like a struggle.

We do seem to start reaching for the record books as we approach spring. Not a bad pastime between matches!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Thon, essentially what your saying is that it takes him 4/5 months get his teams to gel, and that every season he's been at this he's re-built or joined a club. I mostly agree with you, on paper and with us it does seem that way.

Last season however i'd say Roberts and Ex coming in really changed our season, this season though nothing has really changed, so he has to take credit for getting this side going.

To be fair to Coxy he has admitted his mistake this year, ie bringing 10+ players, having a huge squad etc. If he hadn't done that, and just added 3/4 players to replace those we were always going to lose or that left, we may have seen a much better first half to the season.

I think its going a little far to say 'this is a guy who really knows what he's doing'. At times this year, and last, people were rightly questioning if he had lost the plot all together. However his brand of football is always going to mean he's quickly jumped on when things go bad, as it looks awful at times. That said, maybe the long ball stuff early in a season is how he does it. Gets them hoofing, and slowing introduces more passing and control, so by the new year they capable of both...

Its too early to really get carried away. 2/3 defeats in the next month and we'll be no where, and there won't be many on here hailing him as a tactical genius.

One thing is for sure, if we don't go up this year. He should re think his pre season strategy. He has a team capable of winning, he needs to refine it, not just start again.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Sorry being lazy but where were we at this stage last season?
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ianb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:22 pm

old ram stag wrote:Sorry being lazy but where were we at this stage last season?

After 31 games we had 49 points, and were in 9th position, 6 points off the playoff position and 22 :shock: points off the top.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/conference-premier/2011-2012/custom-table
ianb
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Big yella » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 pm

ianb wrote:
old ram stag wrote:Sorry being lazy but where were we at this stage last season?

After 31 games we had 49 points, and were in 9th position, 6 points off the playoff position and 22 :shock: points off the top.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/conference-premier/2011-2012/custom-table

So we are 7 points better off, 3 places better off, 0 points off the play-offs and 17 points closer to the top, yet we have had a terrible start and have now found form.

:coys: :coys: :coys:
Flip, flop & fly, Mansfield till I die.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby stuhall1973 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:50 pm

If he kept the same side at the start of the season he would start off this well ;)
stuhall1973
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby thon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Jamie wrote:I think its going a little far to say 'this is a guy who really knows what he's doing'.

This is a guy who has steered one other local team away from relegation and then gone on to get two consecutive promotions with them, and then achieve a play-off spot just one level down from the Conference National.

He has then achieved a far better result in his first season for Stags than any of our previous two three managers at this level had, and now looks to be repeating the trick or even going one or two better.

We'll have to agree to disagree Jamie, but that, and the fact that this guy has turned about 5 different squads so far into promotion winners or contenders, says to me out loud in very big letters, that this guy, most definitely, knows what he is doing.
thon

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 pm

As I said above he had to rebuild the back 4.

Playing Pablo Mills in preseason was a mistake.

It does make you wonder what would have happened last season if Ricketts hadn't put 3/4 of our defence in hospital.

This season I think Coxy was expecting ex and Riley to sign for us. Which could explain why mills got some game time.

Although I was disappointed we didn't sign a proper left back in the summer, however he rectified this in January and we are stronger for it.

It's what I like about Paul Cox, he makes mistakes admits them and sorts them out. He learns from them. Above all else he remains professional too (referencing what he said when tom Naylor left and what hymas said. Post-match Liverpool. The general respect he has for opposition in interviews)

Quickly becoming my favourite Mansfield manager.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:30 pm

thon wrote:
Jamie wrote:I think its going a little far to say 'this is a guy who really knows what he's doing'.

This is a guy who has steered one other local team away from relegation and then gone on to get two consecutive promotions with them, and then achieve a play-off spot just one level down from the Conference National.

He has then achieved a far better result in his first season for Stags than any of our previous two managers at this level had, and now looks to be repeating the trick or even going one or two better.

We'll have to agree to disagree Jamie, but that, and the fact that this guy has turned about 5 different squads so far into promotion winners or contenders, says to me out loud in very big letters, that this guy, most definitely, knows what he is doing.

I just don't agree at all and think you are getting completely carried away. He has a top three budget, we are not top three. If we are top three by the end of the season then he will have done a good job, but by no means a great job. If he manages to win the league, then I will concede he has done a great job. Sadly this forum appears split between those who thinks the sun shines out of his you know what and those who think he's rubbish - I sit in between both though of course as results have improved I am more swayed that he is a decent manager. There is still around a third of the season remaining and a more realistic assessment of his attributes can be made once the fat lady has sung.

As for Gazza's comment about him being his favourite manager, he is not even in my top 5 yet. No other Stags manager in the last 40 years has had such a financial advantage over most of his competition - that just must be taken into account when discussing his merits or otherwise. I have to say that once more I find myself in complete agreement with Jamie.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 pm

There is actually an absolute comparison which I totally missed, in that Cox has managed us for 31 games post January (from Jan 1st) across the 2 seasons he's been here and there's coincidentally been 31 games this season so far. So if we'd have started this season in the way that he's finished both seasons so far, then we'd currently be sat on 75 points, 14 points clear.

I'd agree with Conker, in that its quite bizarre, and also with Jamie and Rob. He just tinkers too much in pre-season then spends the first half of the season trying to mould his new charges into his old charges, before returning back to his old charges and then building a siege mentality. Its almost as though he tries to be too clever. Its no coincidence that the only players from the planned starting line up on Saturday (Howell included) that weren't here at the end of last season are the back 4. And of the back 4 Beevers is here as a replacement for O'Niell, Riley went of his own accord, Ex is here and Dempster was here on loan. So technically, the only Cox inspired change of the entire starting line up from the end of last season has been Jennings, and he's only been here 3 weeks, and Jones for Ex.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby thon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 pm

Rob wrote:I just don't agree at all

well nobody's forcing you ;)

i have my opinion, you have yours, Rob. and opinions is what it's all about.

it's an interesting thread, but as a non-gambling man, i'd be perfectly happy to put money on cox going on to have a very successful managerial career and managing at least at Championship level. any guy that more or less repeats such a feat 5 times over in about 7 years is clearly onto something, for me.
thon

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:15 am

It's about time we started signing players up for next year, I beleve green and marriotts are up soon, would rather see those two offer a few hundred quid more a week for an extra 2-3 year than another 5-6 players come in on good wages !

Only need maybe a striker, 2 midfielders and defender in for next season in my opinion to make this club title worthy or league two mid table stayers.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby sonnyjimm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:55 am

thon wrote:for me, the explanation as to why this perhaps doesn't happen in the 1st half of the season (so far), is that he has been successful.

Completely agree..
sonnyjimm
Youth Team
Youth Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum