{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Fishy scorethread sponsored by Fish Fingers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Fishy scorethread sponsored by Fish Fingers

Postby ParisStag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:01 am

I'd go 433. Perch has been a waste of a shirt the last two games and we need 3 midfielders - they got overrun at Northampton. 433 looked so much better in the second half at Stockport. I also think Grimsby will make changes to rest players after the Brighton game. They're mid-table with nothing to play for really.

Pym
Hewitt Harbottle Kilgour Bowery
Wallace Clarke Law
DKD
Akins Oates

If no Oates (Johnson). If no Clarke (Boateng).
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:31 am

ParisStag wrote:I'd go 433. Perch has been a waste of a shirt the last two games and we need 3 midfielders - they got overrun at Northampton. 433 looked so much better in the second half at Stockport. I also think Grimsby will make changes to rest players after the Brighton game. They're mid-table with nothing to play for really.

Pym
Wallace Clarke Law
DKD
Akins Oates

I agree with this. Some will say that Bowery will be at mercy playing LB but we've looked awful in the last two games playing with wingbacks, we're at home, need to win and this team will at least create chances.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:32 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
ParisStag wrote:I'd go 433. Perch has been a waste of a shirt the last two games and we need 3 midfielders - they got overrun at Northampton. 433 looked so much better in the second half at Stockport. I also think Grimsby will make changes to rest players after the Brighton game. They're mid-table with nothing to play for really.

Pym
Wallace Clarke Law
DKD
Akins Oates

I agree with this. Some will say that Bowery will be at mercy playing LB but we've looked awful in the last two games playing with wingbacks, we're at home, need to win and this team will at least create chances.

I’d personally rather Wallace at left back and Boateng in midfield.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:19 pm

time Wallace gets a yellow, i’m going for 6 mins
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:46 pm

Spiritater wrote:Boating has yet to impress me at all this season. I hardly notice he's on t'pitch most of the time. Not a stand out player.

He seems to just sail through games.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:13 pm

Dan wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Boating has yet to impress me at all this season. I hardly notice he's on t'pitch most of the time. Not a stand out player.

He seems to just sail through games.

He impressed me in the 1-0 win at home to Tranmere, which was a long time ago, but since has not been on the level I hoped he would when he arrived.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:27 pm

It’s clear from his career so far that Boateng has ability. He’s had plenty of niggles over the course of the season, perhaps this has impinged on his ability to get match fit. Given he has another two years on his deal, I’m hoping we may see the best of him next campaign, or perhaps at the tail end of this one if he can put a run of games together.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:It’s clear from his career so far that Boateng has ability. He’s had plenty of niggles over the course of the season, perhaps this has impinged on his ability to get match fit. Given he has another two years on his deal, I’m hoping we may see the best of him next campaign, or perhaps at the tail end of this one if he can put a run of games together.

Would like to see a starting midfield with Maris, Reed and Boateng and see if surrounding him with other good footballers makes a difference. Maybe it's recency bias but I can't remember him playing much with Maris.
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:56 pm

Tomwh wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It’s clear from his career so far that Boateng has ability. He’s had plenty of niggles over the course of the season, perhaps this has impinged on his ability to get match fit. Given he has another two years on his deal, I’m hoping we may see the best of him next campaign, or perhaps at the tail end of this one if he can put a run of games together.

Would like to see a starting midfield with Maris, Reed and Boateng and see if surrounding him with other good footballers makes a difference. Maybe it's recency bias but I can't remember him playing much with Maris.

I agree, I think that playing him with better footballers in midfield would help him in particular quite a bit. That midfield three would be fantastic. For me, I'd like to see us play a midfield diamond of Maris, Reed, Boateng/Clarke and Keillor-Dunn when they're all available.

He has largely been disappointing so far has Boateng but I've nowhere near given up hope with him. Early in the season I thought he was playing really well up until he picked up an injury (away at Leyton Orient I think?). I can remember thinking that he's a cut above at this level. The multitude of knocks he's picked up really haven't helped him either. It is frustrating however that he's not performed better in recent weeks without the likes of Maris being available, although I thought we saw flashes of brilliance from him when he came on and changed the game at Wimbledon.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:00 pm

He's from the same mould as that Atkins fellow
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:21 pm

One repeating theme has been that they have often flattered to deceive for a while before developing into crucial members of the squad. How many players have we had that looked rubbish but we now couldn't do without? Macca, Hewitt, Oates, Akins, etc.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:24 pm

Only a win will do now. Business end of the season. 2-0 Stags
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:25 pm

ParisStag wrote:

One repeating theme has been that they have often flattered to deceive for a while before developing into crucial members of the squad. How many players have we had that looked rubbish but we now couldn't do without? Macca, Hewitt, Oates, Akins, etc.

Good point that is.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:32 pm

zod wrote:

Nigel Atkins?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:49 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
zod wrote:

Nigel Atkins?

I think they're referring to the Atkins Diet bloke
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:46 pm

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:47 pm

Did anybody really doubt that Oates and Clarke weren’t going to play?
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:47 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

Good. That’s the correct side I think. Come on!

It’s somewhat annoying that Grimsby’s two best players were on the bench for the biggest game in the clubs history on Sunday but they both start against us today :lol:
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:48 pm

Let’s hope they don’t set up like Salford and Swindon though
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:56 pm

strong cod head 11
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:57 pm

I hope that Orsi doesn't play tonight. Swear he always ripped us apart when he was at Harrogate, then again we never beat them so...

Need a good start tonight, an early goal to shut their fans up would do us a world of good
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:06 pm

Good side.

Time to stop fannying around at home and get wins.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ROKERITE » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:12 pm

I have a terrible habit of being way off with my cod psychology but I'll be bitterly disappointed if Mansfield Town don't win tonight. The thought was that last midweek when Grimsby went to Sutton they'd have all their thoughts on the FA Cup match at B&HA; but that wasn't the case and they won. Now though the big occasion that they'd looked forward to is over. A visit to Field Mill is "after the Lord Mayor's show" and I hope The Mariners will be feeling flat.
ROKERITE
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:27 pm

Defence has been warming up as a back four.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:30 pm

Let's hope Josh Emmanuel has a major off day.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum