{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Injury update: Clough & D.Johnson press conf, Tue 7 Feb

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Injury update: Clough press conference, Tue 7 Feb

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:50 pm

The One wrote:Page

Had he even got a contract? He’s an injury risk as much as Macca.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Injury update: Clough & D.Johnson press conf, Tue 7 Feb

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:10 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

This is bad news when an injury prone player gets 1 month contract ,gets injured straight away and now we depending on him getting fit again to be included in the squad.

We have to hope nothing happens to him again and it surely not a risk worth taking.
Now the window is shut and injuries in last game this is the only option we have now.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:25 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:it’s not throwing cash about it’s sensible squad investment, you want mid table mediocrity, you run with this blueprint, you want promotion you increase the squad numbers to 2players for each position, especially in the January transfer window when you are not paying a full season for a player.

I guess you reap what you sow, come the end of the season, we will see if the manager is right or wrong with his squad management & numbers

And then your 2 right backs get injured and haven't got anyone else who can do a job there? Then what? Sign another in Jan? Bet its a right good dressing room with 6+ players sat in the stands every week.

We've got players who can cover multiple positions, We're still more than capable of putting a strong squad out despite the injuries we've got at the moment. This is why I think the loan market should still reopen for EFL teams, Clubs at this level can't afford to have 25 1st team players
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:53 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

This is bad news when an injury prone player gets 1 month contract ,gets injured straight away and now we depending on him getting fit again to be included in the squad.

We have to hope nothing happens to him again and it surely not a risk worth taking.
Now the window is shut and injuries in last game this is the only option we have now.

We don’t need Page to get fit again. Go to a back 4 and put Perch there with Hewitt at right back Kilgour and Harbottle in the centre and job done. Perch may not be the best getting forward but he can do a decent job as a left back, certainly as good a job as any other back up player who would be willing to sit and wait for a chance. That would also allow us to play the midfield diamond which worked so well last season.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:18 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
marksay wrote:When NC says it’s very unlucky this season with injuries, hello Mr Interviewer Mirror of last season .

It’s as many say size of the squad too small

Yep. We were all saying the same thing last season, and the season before that. How ‘unlucky’ we are with injuries. Fact is, we’ve got a relatively injury prone set of players and I can’t see it changing. We’ll keep up picking up knocks/injuries at an above average rate this season I’m sure.

I looked at squad sizes for about half the teams in league two and counted how many outfield options they all had at the club compared to our 22. It’s fair to say most teams were in the 27/28/29 range for outfield players, compared to our 22 (which includes youngsters like Gale and Knowles who aren’t serious options). Was interesting to see.

Some teams have less numbers than us

Crawley Town 33 23.7 9 €82k €2.70m
Leyton Orient Leyton Orient 31 24.4 19 €140k €4.35m
Bradford City Bradford City 30 26.1 7 €168k €5.05m
Swindon Town Swindon Town 30 23.4 13 €133k €4.00m
Hartlepool United Hartlepool United 30 25.6 10 €92k €2.75m
Carlisle United Carlisle United 30 24.5 6 €63k €1.90m
Colchester United Colchester United 28 26.6 6 €186k €5.20m
Gillingham FC Gillingham FC 28 27.1 10 €179k €5.03m
Tranmere Rovers Tranmere Rovers 28 24.5 8 €148k €4.15m
Sutton United Sutton United 28 26.4 5 €93k €2.60m
Grimsby Town Grimsby Town 28 24.8 9 €51k €1.43m
Northampton Town Northampton Town 27 24.6 7 €179k €4.83m
Doncaster Rovers Doncaster Rovers 27 24.1 4 €137k €3.70m
Rochdale AFC Rochdale AFC 27 26.6 5 €128k €3.45m
Harrogate Town Harrogate Town 27 26.6 7 €104k €2.80m
Walsall FC Walsall FC 27 25.6 12 €100k €2.70m
Mansfield Town Mansfield Town 26 27.7 5 €205k €5.33m
AFC Wimbledon AFC Wimbledon 26 24.3 8 €103k €2.68m
Salford City Salford City 25 25.4 12 €367k €9.18m
Stevenage FC Stevenage FC 25 26.1 10 €164k €4.10m
Newport County Newport County 25 24.6 13 €117k €2.93m
Crewe Alexandra Crewe Alexandra 25 24.0 6 €112k €2.80m
Stockport County Stockport County 25 26.6 11 €81k €2.03m
Barrow AFC Barrow AFC 25 26.8 6 €76k €1.90m
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tomwh » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:04 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

We don’t need Page to get fit again. Go to a back 4 and put Perch there with Hewitt at right back Kilgour and Harbottle in the centre and job done. Perch may not be the best getting forward but he can do a decent job as a left back, certainly as good a job as any other back up player who would be willing to sit and wait for a chance. That would also allow us to play the midfield diamond which worked so well last season.

I agree. I really don't see why we're continuing with the back 5 when we still have a lack of depth back there. O'Toole, Law and Wallace aren't viable options for different reasons, and our 'two' left backs in Macca and Page are very injury prone.

There's only so long you can be unlucky with injuries before you have to question the make up of the squad, particularly with multiple players with a long history in the treatment room.
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:07 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:it’s not throwing cash about it’s sensible squad investment, you want mid table mediocrity, you run with this blueprint, you want promotion you increase the squad numbers to 2players for each position, especially in the January transfer window when you are not paying a full season for a player.

I guess you reap what you sow, come the end of the season, we will see if the manager is right or wrong with his squad management & numbers

And then your 2 right backs get injured and haven't got anyone else who can do a job there? Then what? Sign another in Jan? Bet its a right good dressing room with 6+ players sat in the stands every week.

We've got players who can cover multiple positions, We're still more than capable of putting a strong squad out despite the injuries we've got at the moment. This is why I think the loan market should still reopen for EFL teams, Clubs at this level can't afford to have 25 1st team players

surprise surprise we don’t agree lol, 2 players for each position imo is the minimum you require to get out this league unless ofcourse you are very lucky which we are never!

as i said square pegs round holes is good enough for a top half finish however that’s not what was quoted by everyone at the start of the season was it?

i wonder how big Stevenage’s squad is ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:13 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:35 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:

Teams at this level clearly can afford 25+ 1st team players. I was bored at work today so went onto each league two teams website and counted how many first team outfield players are at each club currently:

Rochdale - 28 (outfielders)
Gillingham - 28 (outfielders)
Hartlepool - 33 (outfielders)
Crawley - 31 (outfielders)
Harrogate - 22 (outfielders)
Newport - 24 (outfielders)
Crewe - 29 (outfielders)
Colchester - 28 (outfielders)
Grimsby - 29 (outfielders)
Tranmere - 22 (outfielders)
Walsall - 26 (outfielders)
Wimbledon - 26 (outfielders)
Sutton - 24 (outfielders)
Doncaster - 25 (outfielders)
Barrow - 22 (outfielders)
Bradford - 27 (outfielders)
Swindon - 32 (outfielders)
Stockport - 22 (outfielders)
Mansfield - 22 (outfielders)
Salford - 24 (outfielders)
Northampton - 28 (outfielders)
Carlisle - 28 (outfielders)
Stevenage - 22 (outfielders)
Leyton Orient - 27 (outfielders)

The mean average number of outfielders at a league two club is 26.4. We currently have 22.

I think what irked me and some other fans was when Clough would say in interviews regarding transfers something along the lines of not needing too many bodies in because we’ve got players returning from injuries. We’re always going to have injuries though. We’ve been moaning about how injury prone we are ever since Clough took over. We needed to bring in a couple more players in January to guard against future injuries we’d pick up post January.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:40 pm

We’ve got 5 more fixtures before we possibly get Macca and Callum Johnson back. Of course it will be even longer to wait before Reed and Oates return. We’re in a bad place now with the lack of depth we’re operating with due to having a small squad + our injuries - how many more injuries will we pick up before any of the current injuries players return? Nearly every game we have player(s) pick up new injuries. The injury crisis is only going to get worse!
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:49 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:

Teams at this level clearly can afford 25+ 1st team players. I was bored at work today so went onto each league two teams website and counted how many first team outfield players are at each club currently:

Crewe - 29 (outfielders)

The mean average number of outfielders at a league two club is 26.4. We currently have 22.

I think what irked me and some other fans was when Clough would say in interviews regarding transfers something along the lines of not needing too many bodies in because we’ve got players returning from injuries. We’re always going to have injuries though. We’ve been moaning about how injury prone we are ever since Clough took over. We needed to bring in a couple more players in January to guard against future injuries we’d pick up post January.

Are these numbers outfielders or..? :lol:

As you say, we've been injury prone for a while, and we don't even have an average amount of squad depth never mind enough for a side looking for promotion.
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkstag » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:07 pm

Of course we have an ‘ average ‘ amount of squad depth.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:15 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:

Crewe - 29 (outfielders)

Quantity over Quality?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:28 pm

Out of them teams with less than 25, how many are challenging for top 7, bar Stevenage, none.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:28 pm

yorkstag wrote:Of course we have an ‘ average ‘ amount of squad depth.

I mean we clearly don’t have an ‘average’ amount of squad depth if we’ve got the joint smallest number of outfielders in the league.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:36 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:Out of them teams with less than 25, how many are challenging for top 7, bar Stevenage, none.

Barrow, Stockport, Salford and us.

In fact four of the top seven have less than 25 :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:46 pm

The figures are there in front of your eyes that prove we don't :lol: For your benefit, the average outfield players in League 2 is 26 4, we have 22. I think we should have 24, which is still below average at this level, a level where our aim is top 3.

Thanks Cleveland Stag.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
StagsFan83 wrote:Out of them teams with less than 25, how many are challenging for top 7, bar Stevenage, none.

Barrow, Stockport, Salford and us.

In fact four of the top seven have less than 25 :lol:

I think, like others, we need 2 or maybe 3 more, which would take us to 24/25. Still below average, but I think 24/25 is enough provided you have quality.

Orient - 28
Stevenage - 22
Carlisle - 28
Northampton - 28
Salford - 24
Us - 22
Stockport - 22

Top 7 average 24.9

Probably over reading into the numbers now, Swindon and Bradford have 32 and 27 respectively for example and are joint on points with Stockport.
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby AshoverStag » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:59 pm

With the new signings the Squad knew the fans was expecting great things. Gel and go for promotion

I wonder if there maybe less possible pressure on the Team now they know they are up against it and more importantly they know we know they are up against it. low in numbers and have lost key bought players in January to injury

They may think to themselves what we got to lose and go on a right run.

If we lose matches them/us know the Injuries we have……and the forum posts “We expected it”

If they just go for it. Nothing to lose.

Tough run of matches in Feb/March but building confidence with a win or two ……well you never know

We can only start with 11. Harbottle back, Kilgour looking good, Swan, DJ, Akins. Maris/Clarke in middle. Still got key players. Quinn finding form.

That’s if we don’t lose anymore to injury of course. Then we are in trouble

Just trying to stay positive, but I’m firmly behind the theory - Too small a squad
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:06 pm

I’ve counted 23 in our squad.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:21 pm

There is 23 and the differential in the squad numbers of the top 7 show it makes not a blind bit of difference (at least at this point of the season).
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:25 pm

Rob wrote:

The figures are there in front of your eyes that prove we don't :lol: For your benefit, the average outfield players in League 2 is 26 4, we have 22. I think we should have 24, which is still below average at this level, a level where our aim is top 3.

Thanks Cleveland Stag.

Just Lewis Page to go until you’re a happy camper then :D
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:28 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

A crock as cover, great.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Thanks Cleveland Stag.

Just Lewis Page to go until you’re a happy camper then :D

Not really, you are clearly including a player who isn't a regular first team squad member to get to 23 - in fact if the squad was of a decent size the likes of Knowles, Gale and possibly Law would be out on loan. We have had to keep them because .........
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:46 pm

Difficult to compare any team against another. Stevenage look to be doing OK, A team could have 30 players but our budget could still be more than them.. People on here been constantly moaning about Wallace as they did with Gordon. They wouldn't be happy until we have 26, 28 quality players. Like I stated earlier, that doesn't happen in our league. The teams with 30 players could have more youth players, players that wouldn't even get on our bench.but I suppose some on here would be happy with young inexperienced lads or players who are average as long as we got the numbers..
A lot of the teams with more players are below us in the league. .
I'm more than happy with with our squad and the size of it. As stated by someone else, we could have three left wing backs and all three could be injured..
We have just been unlucky.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum