{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:11 am

Captain Cunno wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:Is Rhys Bennett still available? I'd take him on a free and push Hawkins up top.


get ya tin hat ready, how dare you suggest we could do with an actual CB, oh hang on can he play striker i know he’s a blast at Fifa so you never know !



Anyone wanna pull the stats up again?


They don't let the stats get in the way of their crusade Bobby , that's clear for us to see..

I wonder if we are sitting pretty in the top 3 in January , (which current form suggests we will ) they will let it lie....



Current form has us 6th, or do you just want to cherry pick the season’s fixtures that make us look good. The season is 46 games long and all of those games count towards the final table. All of this 88 points from the last x number of games is totally meaningless unless they are accumulated across 46 games in the same season. Sitting pretty in the top three in January also means diddly squat unless you can stay there until the end of game 46.

If stats are so brilliant why aren’t we complaining to the EFL about being robbed of our rightful place in the table? We are where we are and quite frankly, I am delighted to be in this position at this stage as we can still catch up post January.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5970
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby AJStag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 am

Six away and only four at home to date. Let's see where we are when that imbalance is "rectified" .
AJStag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:40 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am

Captain Cunno wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:Is Rhys Bennett still available? I'd take him on a free and push Hawkins up top.


get ya tin hat ready, how dare you suggest we could do with an actual CB, oh hang on can he play striker i know he’s a blast at Fifa so you never know !



Anyone wanna pull the stats up again?


They don't let the stats get in the way of their crusade Bobby , that's clear for us to see..

I wonder if we are sitting pretty in the top 3 in January , (which current form suggests we will ) they will let it lie....


Crusade :lol: I've heard it all now.

I admire your energy Sandy but if you imagine what you are doing is like me trying to persuade you to vote Labour you'll see it's a discussion that has no ending ;)

Obviously FWIW, I agree with you, as does every Stags fan I know, we do lack depth (we only had 6 on the bench a couple of weeks ago) and we do need a quality, experienced CB. What others are failing to grasp is that whilst the current starting 11 is probably good enough for top 3, a few injuries in key areas will expose our squad. We saw last season what injuries and suspensions did to our results and only when we were able to field close to our strongest 11 did we go on that fantastic run. I suspect Clough knows and will be signing players in Jan, I hope our luck on the injury front holds until then.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8894
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:04 am

Rob wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:Is Rhys Bennett still available? I'd take him on a free and push Hawkins up top.


get ya tin hat ready, how dare you suggest we could do with an actual CB, oh hang on can he play striker i know he’s a blast at Fifa so you never know !



Anyone wanna pull the stats up again?


They don't let the stats get in the way of their crusade Bobby , that's clear for us to see..

I wonder if we are sitting pretty in the top 3 in January , (which current form suggests we will ) they will let it lie....


Crusade :lol: I've heard it all now.

I admire your energy Sandy but if you imagine what you are doing is like me trying to persuade you to vote Labour you'll see it's a discussion that has no ending ;)

Obviously FWIW, I agree with you, as does every Stags fan I know, we do lack depth (we only had 6 on the bench a couple of weeks ago) and we do need a quality, experienced CB. What others are failing to grasp is that whilst the current starting 11 is probably good enough for top 3, a few injuries in key areas will expose our squad. We saw last season what injuries and suspensions did to our results and only when we were able to field close to our strongest 11 did we go on that fantastic run. I suspect Clough knows and will be signing players in Jan, I hope our luck on the injury front holds until then.


Genuine question(s) -
What would your ideal squad size be Rob out of interest?
And which players in the squad do you think will not be good enough if called upon?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11802
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby bear 73 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:43 am

Have we broken a new record on rumours.
After 10 games sitting 6th in the table we have failed, we have had 4 transfer windows in which we have failed .
We got to Wembley in Cloughs first full season and failed,
Clough has gone down on record saying it takes 3 years to turn a club around, so if we fail we try again next season.
Top six in league 2 is a lot more exciting than bottom six in league 1 fighting relegation and losing frequently
2023/24 in May we can all say Clough has failed, until then we can watch a team we can be proud off give it a go
Boateng, Oates, Hartigan are a big miss for us, and we are still at the right end of the table.
David Sharpe said when asked what was expected of Clough , he said a win would be nice,
We have come a long way from that statement,
Tom Glick [Derby ]
Ben Robinson, [ Burton ]
In Nigel we trust in bad times or good times The club is in good hands
bear 73
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby AshoverStag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:00 am

bear 73 wrote:Have we broken a new record on rumours.
After 10 games sitting 6th in the table we have failed, we have had 4 transfer windows in which we have failed .
We got to Wembley in Cloughs first full season and failed,
Clough has gone down on record saying it takes 3 years to turn a club around, so if we fail we try again next season.
Top six in league 2 is a lot more exciting than bottom six in league 1 fighting relegation and losing frequently
2023/24 in May we can all say Clough has failed, until then we can watch a team we can be proud off give it a go
Boateng, Oates, Hartigan are a big miss for us, and we are still at the right end of the table.
David Sharpe said when asked what was expected of Clough , he said a win would be nice,
We have come a long way from that statement,
Tom Glick [Derby ]
Ben Robinson, [ Burton ]
In Nigel we trust in bad times or good times The club is in good hands


I agree Bear. There is a lot to be optimistic about.

The Carlisle result does not look a disaster now with how they are playing

This s a tough league……could be worse look at the Conference….that’s one up guaranteed and a lot of big clubs at that level fighting it out.

Same in div 2

We should beat Hartlepool on paper….. Barrow could be a key game but the following 4 games after Barrow look more winnable. Barrow I’m just hoping. (Ok we beat them before but they look an improved side this season)

Then as you said Hartigan, and Boateng to choose from, and Oates on his way back

As I see it things look very positive

Team has manoeuvred well since losing Oates then Boateng and Hartigan

Key players have been

Laps, Clarke, Harbottle imo. ……with Akins improved form, and Swan seeming to gain momentum as he plays more games not far behind the vital 3 players listed

I think people often don’t put into context the fine margins between level of clubs.

It’s a very competitive division with no points guaranteed

But with away form picking up……..what’s to moan about
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:14 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Genuine question(s) -
What would your ideal squad size be Rob out of interest?
And which players in the squad do you think will not be good enough if called upon?


We need 3 more players to have a strong squad - we have the money to do it, maybe the players weren't available, but to be a contender for top 3 I don't think you can have a situation where you can only field 6 subs after just a handful of games. If we could sign an experienced centre back, a George Foster leader type, I'd move Hewitt to RWB and play Hawkins as a striker (or compete with the other strikers for a place) and only use him at CB if we have injuries. I don't think Perch has a full season in him and I'm not sure what's going on with O'Toole. Harbottle is excellent, really like him a lot (probably helps he is an actual CB!), so you would then have to play either Perch or O'Toole alongside. I think the current squad is 3 players light, a centre back, striker and cover on the left hand side. The current first choice 11 is good enough for top 3, this is primarily down to our superb midfield which I think is the best we've had in a long time. Obviously any squad can be improved, but I think this is different, I think this was a necessity and only a bit of good fortune will see us get away with it before we can strengthen. We're doing OK at the moment, we could be top 3 come Friday night which would represent a good start to the season, but my worry is (one that is very widely shared I hasten to add) that because of our small squad injuries could have a really severe impact.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8894
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:17 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Genuine question(s) -
What would your ideal squad size be Rob out of interest?
And which players in the squad do you think will not be good enough if called upon?


We need 3 more players to have a strong squad - we have the money to do it, maybe the players weren't available, but to be a contender for top 3 I don't think you can have a situation where you can only field 6 subs after just a handful of games. If we could sign an experienced centre back, a George Foster leader type, I'd move Hewitt to RWB and play Hawkins as a striker (or compete with the other strikers for a place) and only use him at CB if we have injuries. I don't think Perch has a full season in him and I'm not sure what's going on with O'Toole. Harbottle is excellent, really like him a lot (probably helps he is an actual CB!), so you would then have to play either Perch or O'Toole alongside. I think the current squad is 3 players light, a centre back, striker and cover on the left hand side. The current first choice 11 is good enough for top 3, this is primarily down to our superb midfield which I think is the best we've had in a long time. Obviously any squad can be improved, but I think this is different, I think this was a necessity and only a bit of good fortune will see us get away with it before we can strengthen. We're doing OK at the moment, we could be top 3 come Friday night which would represent a good start to the season, but my worry is (one that is very widely shared I hasten to add) that because of our small squad injuries could have a really severe impact.


Thanks for your detailed reply, that would be a 26 man squad then in that case that you would be happy with.

The point I would oppose your argument about squad depth with would be that of the 20 outfield players we currently have in the squad, 17 of them have started in a league game which we have won this season. Only Wallace, Law, Gale and haven’t, and even then two of those have contributed positively to a winning result from the bench, and Gale has started a win in the pizza cup for whatever that is worth. 16 of those 20 have started in multiple league wins.

Whilst I agree that it would be nice to have another quick attacking option, I think we’re ok in others.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11802
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Genuine question(s) -
What would your ideal squad size be Rob out of interest?
And which players in the squad do you think will not be good enough if called upon?


We need 3 more players to have a strong squad - we have the money to do it, maybe the players weren't available, but to be a contender for top 3 I don't think you can have a situation where you can only field 6 subs after just a handful of games. If we could sign an experienced centre back, a George Foster leader type, I'd move Hewitt to RWB and play Hawkins as a striker (or compete with the other strikers for a place) and only use him at CB if we have injuries. I don't think Perch has a full season in him and I'm not sure what's going on with O'Toole. Harbottle is excellent, really like him a lot (probably helps he is an actual CB!), so you would then have to play either Perch or O'Toole alongside. I think the current squad is 3 players light, a centre back, striker and cover on the left hand side. The current first choice 11 is good enough for top 3, this is primarily down to our superb midfield which I think is the best we've had in a long time. Obviously any squad can be improved, but I think this is different, I think this was a necessity and only a bit of good fortune will see us get away with it before we can strengthen. We're doing OK at the moment, we could be top 3 come Friday night which would represent a good start to the season, but my worry is (one that is very widely shared I hasten to add) that because of our small squad injuries could have a really severe impact.


Thanks for your detailed reply, that would be a 26 man squad then in that case that you would be happy with.

The point I would oppose your argument about squad depth with would be that of the 20 outfield players we currently have in the squad, 17 of them have started in a league game which we have won this season. Only Wallace, Law, Gale and haven’t, and even then two of those have contributed positively to a winning result from the bench, and Gale has started a win in the pizza cup for whatever that is worth. 16 of those 20 have started in multiple league wins.

Whilst I agree that it would be nice to have another quick attacking option, I think we’re ok in others.


For a side wanting top 3 I think 24 outfield players is about right. Ideally Gale should be on loan in the Conference but obviously he can't because of guess what ;) If we have sufficient squad depth now, why were we unable to fill the subs bench? You'd hardly say we've had an injury crisis yet this season, this is the point, it's not about now, it's about how we cope if we get the number of players missing we did last season. The reality is, we are no better prepared now and of course it cost us hugely last season.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8894
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:51 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Genuine question(s) -
What would your ideal squad size be Rob out of interest?
And which players in the squad do you think will not be good enough if called upon?


We need 3 more players to have a strong squad - we have the money to do it, maybe the players weren't available, but to be a contender for top 3 I don't think you can have a situation where you can only field 6 subs after just a handful of games. If we could sign an experienced centre back, a George Foster leader type, I'd move Hewitt to RWB and play Hawkins as a striker (or compete with the other strikers for a place) and only use him at CB if we have injuries. I don't think Perch has a full season in him and I'm not sure what's going on with O'Toole. Harbottle is excellent, really like him a lot (probably helps he is an actual CB!), so you would then have to play either Perch or O'Toole alongside. I think the current squad is 3 players light, a centre back, striker and cover on the left hand side. The current first choice 11 is good enough for top 3, this is primarily down to our superb midfield which I think is the best we've had in a long time. Obviously any squad can be improved, but I think this is different, I think this was a necessity and only a bit of good fortune will see us get away with it before we can strengthen. We're doing OK at the moment, we could be top 3 come Friday night which would represent a good start to the season, but my worry is (one that is very widely shared I hasten to add) that because of our small squad injuries could have a really severe impact.


Thanks for your detailed reply, that would be a 26 man squad then in that case that you would be happy with.

The point I would oppose your argument about squad depth with would be that of the 20 outfield players we currently have in the squad, 17 of them have started in a league game which we have won this season. Only Wallace, Law, Gale and haven’t, and even then two of those have contributed positively to a winning result from the bench, and Gale has started a win in the pizza cup for whatever that is worth. 16 of those 20 have started in multiple league wins.

Whilst I agree that it would be nice to have another quick attacking option, I think we’re ok in others.


For a side wanting top 3 I think 24 outfield players is about right. Ideally Gale should be on loan in the Conference but obviously he can't because of guess what ;) If we have sufficient squad depth now, why were we unable to fill the subs bench? You'd hardly say we've had an injury crisis yet this season, this is the point, it's not about now, it's about how we cope if we get the number of players missing we did last season. The reality is, we are no better prepared now and of course it cost us hugely last season.


Sorry it would 23 outfield players with your extra three, I was including Owen Mason who is on loan but can be recalled after a month I believe.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11802
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Walton Stag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Genuine question(s) -
What would your ideal squad size be Rob out of interest?
And which players in the squad do you think will not be good enough if called upon?


We need 3 more players to have a strong squad - we have the money to do it, maybe the players weren't available, but to be a contender for top 3 I don't think you can have a situation where you can only field 6 subs after just a handful of games. If we could sign an experienced centre back, a George Foster leader type, I'd move Hewitt to RWB and play Hawkins as a striker (or compete with the other strikers for a place) and only use him at CB if we have injuries. I don't think Perch has a full season in him and I'm not sure what's going on with O'Toole. Harbottle is excellent, really like him a lot (probably helps he is an actual CB!), so you would then have to play either Perch or O'Toole alongside. I think the current squad is 3 players light, a centre back, striker and cover on the left hand side. The current first choice 11 is good enough for top 3, this is primarily down to our superb midfield which I think is the best we've had in a long time. Obviously any squad can be improved, but I think this is different, I think this was a necessity and only a bit of good fortune will see us get away with it before we can strengthen. We're doing OK at the moment, we could be top 3 come Friday night which would represent a good start to the season, but my worry is (one that is very widely shared I hasten to add) that because of our small squad injuries could have a really severe impact.


Thanks for your detailed reply, that would be a 26 man squad then in that case that you would be happy with.

The point I would oppose your argument about squad depth with would be that of the 20 outfield players we currently have in the squad, 17 of them have started in a league game which we have won this season. Only Wallace, Law, Gale and haven’t, and even then two of those have contributed positively to a winning result from the bench, and Gale has started a win in the pizza cup for whatever that is worth. 16 of those 20 have started in multiple league wins.

Whilst I agree that it would be nice to have another quick attacking option, I think we’re ok in others.


For a side wanting top 3 I think 24 outfield players is about right. Ideally Gale should be on loan in the Conference but obviously he can't because of guess what ;) If we have sufficient squad depth now, why were we unable to fill the subs bench? You'd hardly say we've had an injury crisis yet this season, this is the point, it's not about now, it's about how we cope if we get the number of players missing we did last season. The reality is, we are no better prepared now and of course it cost us hugely last season.


Sorry it would 23 outfield players with your extra three, I was including Owen Mason who is on loan but can be recalled after a month I believe.


Rob, you are going down the same route that Evans took. He had a stand full of players on big money. I seem to remember that you were not a big fan of Evans but yet you are advocating his policy of having 2 players for each position. I assume from your comments that your ‘new’ players would be high earners otherwise, why bring them in? Clough has said he has gone for quality rather than quantity yet you insist he is not correct and we need 3 more top earners.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:46 am

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:35 pm

I think you are putting words into my mouth here Walton, I have not said we should have the same squad size as Evans did, he had 30+ players and threw away money left right and centre. I am advocating a squad of 24/25 - so three new players and Gale allowed to go out on loan to further his development. I also have not said we need 3 top earners, again quoting something I simply haven't said. One of them would be expensive, that's the centre back - the other two would be there to compete with what we have, step in for injuries and suspensions and could be cheap loan players. Clough will sign players in January and I believe the squad size will get to around my figures - I just wish we'd have done it in the summer. If we keep our first eleven fit we'll be absolutely fine.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8894
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:53 pm

What is the first eleven though Rob in your eyes? Only four players have started all of our wins.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11802
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Rob wrote:I think you are putting words into my mouth here Walton, I have not said we should have the same squad size as Evans did, he had 30+ players and threw away money left right and centre. I am advocating a squad of 24/25 - so three new players and Gale allowed to go out on loan to further his development. I also have not said we need 3 top earners, again quoting something I simply haven't said. One of them would be expensive, that's the centre back - the other two would be there to compete with what we have, step in for injuries and suspensions and could be cheap loan players. Clough will sign players in January and I believe the squad size will get to around my figures - I just wish we'd have done it in the summer. If we keep our first eleven fit we'll be absolutely fine.


you are wasting your breath Rob
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13167
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:What is the first eleven though Rob in your eyes? Only four players have started all of our wins.


I think that depends on who we are playing and whether we are at home. I think Hewitt is our best RWB so would always play him there. I'd also prefer to see Hawkins up front. With that in mind surely yoy can see the logic in wanting another CB? We won on Saturday because we played Hawkins up front., I'd play him there tomorrow
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8894
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:19 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:I think you are putting words into my mouth here Walton, I have not said we should have the same squad size as Evans did, he had 30+ players and threw away money left right and centre. I am advocating a squad of 24/25 - so three new players and Gale allowed to go out on loan to further his development. I also have not said we need 3 top earners, again quoting something I simply haven't said. One of them would be expensive, that's the centre back - the other two would be there to compete with what we have, step in for injuries and suspensions and could be cheap loan players. Clough will sign players in January and I believe the squad size will get to around my figures - I just wish we'd have done it in the summer. If we keep our first eleven fit we'll be absolutely fine.


you are wasting your breath Rob


I know, but at least one or two can discuss it without throwing a wobbly or making absurd allegations like you don't go to games, I want us to lose, Sandy doesn't cheer when we score and we're all on a crusade :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8894
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:32 pm

Rob wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:I think you are putting words into my mouth here Walton, I have not said we should have the same squad size as Evans did, he had 30+ players and threw away money left right and centre. I am advocating a squad of 24/25 - so three new players and Gale allowed to go out on loan to further his development. I also have not said we need 3 top earners, again quoting something I simply haven't said. One of them would be expensive, that's the centre back - the other two would be there to compete with what we have, step in for injuries and suspensions and could be cheap loan players. Clough will sign players in January and I believe the squad size will get to around my figures - I just wish we'd have done it in the summer. If we keep our first eleven fit we'll be absolutely fine.


you are wasting your breath Rob


I know, but at least one or two can discuss it without throwing a wobbly or making absurd allegations like you don't go to games, I want us to lose, Sandy doesn't cheer when we score and we're all on a crusade :lol:


pathetic isn’t it?, to dare to question the lack of quality signings, how dare it be said!, to many people are anti Clough & want us to get beat every game & only comment when we have lost ! :lol:
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13167
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:37 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:What is the first eleven though Rob in your eyes? Only four players have started all of our wins.


I think that depends on who we are playing and whether we are at home. I think Hewitt is our best RWB so would always play him there. I'd also prefer to see Hawkins up front. With that in mind surely yoy can see the logic in wanting another CB? We won on Saturday because we played Hawkins up front., I'd play him there tomorrow


I can see your logic yes but I don’t agree with you. We’ve won three games where Hawkins didn’t play up front. Also I would say going up there for the last few minutes is completely different to starting there for the whole game. The team wouldn’t be able to press in the same way. The only game Hawkins started up front, we lost (admittedly he scored, but from a set piece where he would’ve been in the box anyway)
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11802
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:41 pm

Squad size of 22 with 2 players for each position. We select a matchday squad of 18 and can use 16 players in a single game. We have cup games we play a 2nd string in it would enable us to do so protecting our 1st string from injury.

Judge your youth players. If they could be called upon to do alright then count them in the 22 if they need game time away then don't count them in the 22.

Get over 4 injuries and/or suspensions then you either get some youth team players to fill the bench or go for a reduced bench. Less than 4 and you've still got a full bench of options to change a game. Those options could be the difference between a loss and and win or draw.

Gordon gets an injury and we have 3 options. 1. Disrupt the back 3 moving Hewitt. 2 disrupt our forwards and move Akins there. Or 3. Bowery, which I've seen enough that it would be a mistake.

I know I was saying about Macca but if law is back he did alright there before and I've heard Wallace can do a job there (maybe bear or broomo can confirm?) but they are bench options.

For me, for a squad you have your strongest XI and direct replacements as backup/competition. You need a few players sat in the stands to make them want to push harder to get on the pitch or even the bench. If you've nobody to provide that competition for places then standards can slip.

I'm happy enough for players to play more than one position. So long as they're good enough at league 2 level to cope with it. So far Bowery at RWB and CB is a no. Macca St CB is a no. Hawkins at CB is a yes (o should clarify I'm aware I had misgivings last season I thought he'd a be a decent 6th option but he has been alot better this season, even with the yellow card count.

However, when all is said and done. Compared to another player we have who played centre of a back 3 and finished 4th in the league. Who would people honestly pick right now at the centre of a back 3, Kyrstian Pearce from 17/18 season or Oliver Hawkins?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13361
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:47 pm

Rob wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:I think you are putting words into my mouth here Walton, I have not said we should have the same squad size as Evans did, he had 30+ players and threw away money left right and centre. I am advocating a squad of 24/25 - so three new players and Gale allowed to go out on loan to further his development. I also have not said we need 3 top earners, again quoting something I simply haven't said. One of them would be expensive, that's the centre back - the other two would be there to compete with what we have, step in for injuries and suspensions and could be cheap loan players. Clough will sign players in January and I believe the squad size will get to around my figures - I just wish we'd have done it in the summer. If we keep our first eleven fit we'll be absolutely fine.


you are wasting your breath Rob


I know, but at least one or two can discuss it without throwing a wobbly or making absurd allegations like you don't go to games, I want us to lose, Sandy doesn't cheer when we score and we're all on a crusade :lol:



A bit like the wobbly you threw yesterday when I was trying to have a discussion and you conveniently didn't respond to?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9654
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby AshoverStag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Genuine question(s) -
What would your ideal squad size be Rob out of interest?
And which players in the squad do you think will not be good enough if called upon?


We need 3 more players to have a strong squad - we have the money to do it, maybe the players weren't available, but to be a contender for top 3 I don't think you can have a situation where you can only field 6 subs after just a handful of games. If we could sign an experienced centre back, a George Foster leader type, I'd move Hewitt to RWB and play Hawkins as a striker (or compete with the other strikers for a place) and only use him at CB if we have injuries. I don't think Perch has a full season in him and I'm not sure what's going on with O'Toole. Harbottle is excellent, really like him a lot (probably helps he is an actual CB!), so you would then have to play either Perch or O'Toole alongside. I think the current squad is 3 players light, a centre back, striker and cover on the left hand side. The current first choice 11 is good enough for top 3, this is primarily down to our superb midfield which I think is the best we've had in a long time. Obviously any squad can be improved, but I think this is different, I think this was a necessity and only a bit of good fortune will see us get away with it before we can strengthen. We're doing OK at the moment, we could be top 3 come Friday night which would represent a good start to the season, but my worry is (one that is very widely shared I hasten to add) that because of our small squad injuries could have a really severe impact.


Thanks for your detailed reply, that would be a 26 man squad then in that case that you would be happy with.

The point I would oppose your argument about squad depth with would be that of the 20 outfield players we currently have in the squad, 17 of them have started in a league game which we have won this season. Only Wallace, Law, Gale and haven’t, and even then two of those have contributed positively to a winning result from the bench, and Gale has started a win in the pizza cup for whatever that is worth. 16 of those 20 have started in multiple league wins.

Whilst I agree that it would be nice to have another quick attacking option, I think we’re ok in others.


Spot on mate. I couldn’t have said it better. I agree.

Plus I Don’t get the injury argument. It’s all chance. I mean if a Club was really unlucky, they could lose a bunch of players to injury. Where do you draw a line.

Ok say we brought in another CB, left side player and Forward.

Couldn’t they get injuries…..of course they could lol

I also don’t get the squad is to small crew

To me ….winning sides have always relied on the same players week in week out. Look at the great Liverpool team in the late seventies

It’s more about a starting 11 gaining momentum together. Small squad……so what

I like NC can use utility players. Better to have the same players who gel and know each other well than bringing in more of a Squad like Evans at Stevenage. Their ship will sink before New Year I’m guessing.

Only thing I’m not a fan of from NC is playing Bowery or Macca at Centre Half…….that took utility too far lol
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:14 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:What is the first eleven though Rob in your eyes? Only four players have started all of our wins.


I think that depends on who we are playing and whether we are at home. I think Hewitt is our best RWB so would always play him there. I'd also prefer to see Hawkins up front. With that in mind surely yoy can see the logic in wanting another CB? We won on Saturday because we played Hawkins up front., I'd play him there tomorrow


I can see your logic yes but I don’t agree with you. We’ve won three games where Hawkins didn’t play up front. Also I would say going up there for the last few minutes is completely different to starting there for the whole game. The team wouldn’t be able to press in the same way. The only game Hawkins started up front, we lost (admittedly he scored, but from a set piece where he would’ve been in the box anyway)


Yes, we very much disagree, which is fine. On Hawkins, if he was used as a striker I'm not sure I'd start him every game. I also think that whilst he does a job at CB, there are better, more experienced CB's out there.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8894
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby AshoverStag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:13 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:What is the first eleven though Rob in your eyes? Only four players have started all of our wins.


I think that depends on who we are playing and whether we are at home. I think Hewitt is our best RWB so would always play him there. I'd also prefer to see Hawkins up front. With that in mind surely yoy can see the logic in wanting another CB? We won on Saturday because we played Hawkins up front., I'd play him there tomorrow


I can see your logic yes but I don’t agree with you. We’ve won three games where Hawkins didn’t play up front. Also I would say going up there for the last few minutes is completely different to starting there for the whole game. The team wouldn’t be able to press in the same way. The only game Hawkins started up front, we lost (admittedly he scored, but from a set piece where he would’ve been in the box anyway)


Yes, we very much disagree, which is fine.

On Hawkins, if he was used as a striker I'm not sure I'd start him every game. I also think that whilst he does a job at CB, there are better, more experienced CB's out there.


Reference Hawkins

Who lol ?

How many times has NC got to say it. If there is a better player that what we’ve got…he will bid on them
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:14 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:19 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:What is the first eleven though Rob in your eyes? Only four players have started all of our wins.


I think that depends on who we are playing and whether we are at home. I think Hewitt is our best RWB so would always play him there. I'd also prefer to see Hawkins up front. With that in mind surely yoy can see the logic in wanting another CB? We won on Saturday because we played Hawkins up front., I'd play him there tomorrow


I can see your logic yes but I don’t agree with you. We’ve won three games where Hawkins didn’t play up front. Also I would say going up there for the last few minutes is completely different to starting there for the whole game. The team wouldn’t be able to press in the same way. The only game Hawkins started up front, we lost (admittedly he scored, but from a set piece where he would’ve been in the box anyway)


Yes, we very much disagree, which is fine. On Hawkins, if he was used as a striker I'm not sure I'd start him every game. I also think that whilst he does a job at CB, there are better, more experienced CB's out there.


Fair enough. I don’t disagree with your last point either, but so far I think he’s been very good this season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11802
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:24 pm

AshoverStag wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:What is the first eleven though Rob in your eyes? Only four players have started all of our wins.


I think that depends on who we are playing and whether we are at home. I think Hewitt is our best RWB so would always play him there. I'd also prefer to see Hawkins up front. With that in mind surely yoy can see the logic in wanting another CB? We won on Saturday because we played Hawkins up front., I'd play him there tomorrow


I can see your logic yes but I don’t agree with you. We’ve won three games where Hawkins didn’t play up front. Also I would say going up there for the last few minutes is completely different to starting there for the whole game. The team wouldn’t be able to press in the same way. The only game Hawkins started up front, we lost (admittedly he scored, but from a set piece where he would’ve been in the box anyway)


Yes, we very much disagree, which is fine.

On Hawkins, if he was used as a striker I'm not sure I'd start him every game. I also think that whilst he does a job at CB, there are better, more experienced CB's out there.


Reference Hawkins

Who lol ?

How many times has NC got to say it. If there is a better player that what we’ve got…he will bid on them


so didn’t he get a quality CB in the summer?, because he put all his eggs in basket for John Brayford & he signed on again for the Brewers in League 1 fair play to him.

same as the season before with Naylor

failure to plan
is planning to fail

always have a Plan B

hers to three points tomorrow COYS
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13167
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bob ledgers barber, percystag, Rob, Sneag and 35 guests