{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough press Conference Mon 15 Aug

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough press Conference Mon 15 Aug

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:16 pm

broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I sincerely hope this is one of Mr Clough’s famous bluffs and a new player is to start in tomorrow night’s game.

If not James Gale should not go out on loan.

No chance, he's always very honest and the fact he hasn't said we're close to bringing one in certainly rules it out for tomorrow.

Pleased but not surprised to see he's pretty much echoed what I've been saying this past week.

Just wish more would give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to assessing the quality of his own squad.

completely bonkers & in exactly the same bloody hole as he made last season “IF” this isn’t a blag

Do you mean the spell last season when 4 or 5 of our best players were injured or suspended and folk were saying it wouldn't make any difference to our results having them back?

That hole?

Nope i mean the bit we’re he put all his eggs in one basket & failed to sign Naylor, this time he failed to sign Brayford & it would appear still hasn’t got a plan B that “hole”

to not sign a quality CB is absolutely bonkers, he then tells us it’s a striker he wants & guess what!, according to his last interview we don’t even need that now !!!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:33 pm

broomo wrote:
Nutty Stag wrote:Yes that hole that cost the club automatic promotion.

I could list 3 games where officials mistakes "cost us automatic promotion" just as much as losing key players during that not winning spell.

The truth is the squad was good enough to challenge when a lot (too many) of posters on here had given up and had predicted another relegation battle, or at best another long hard season.

De ja vu working both ways, me saying we'll be fine and others saying his transfer policy will cost us.

I guess both sides could claim to be right.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another "get him out of my club" post if we don't pick up 2 home wins this week.

Believe me, we all know how much officials cost us last season (and other seasons), but unfortunately that is out of our control.

Squad size, within reason, is within our control. I am a massive Clough in fan, but it does feel like he is being far too stubborn regarding getting an extra couple of bodies in. Players seem to be pushed far further than they were 15/20 years ago, even 10 years ago. We've got previous and current evidence about needing a couple of further bodies to add strength in depth, so it seems a little careless not to bring them in.

I'll add two disclaimers to that though - Clough knows far better than I do and of course signing good players isn't as easy as it is on Football Manager/Champ Man.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:50 pm

If fit, Akins plays.

Don't know how anyone can predict a side without him shoe-horned into it when he is available of course.

The difficulty is in predicting WHERE Akins plays.

For me he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI if we're wanting to play our strongest possible side, but for reasons only Burton fans have seemingly witnessed, Clough will always play him.

With him currently out, I find we've been a lot more fluid without him breaking moves down with his terrible first touch or poor passes.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby nigegray » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:14 pm

In my opinion Nigel Clough has not been good in summer or January transfer windows and unless he brings a quality striker in by end of August he will have failed again?
Sort it please Nigel?
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:20 pm

BH_Stag wrote: I only see upsides to having one or two more players, and no downsides unless we’re talking an extra wage but our squad size would be nothing out of the ordinary and we’re not skint. I doubt Sharpe or Radford are telling him we have to go with 19 so just treat yourself Nigel :lol:

Steve Evans and David Flitcroft would have spent JR's money by now :lol:

I think Nigel is playing mind games to perhaps put the pressure on a few agents/players. I would be amazed if we did not sign any more players before transfer deadline day (1st September) especially with our current injuries. I'm sure good players will become available in the next 2 weeks who he will be interested in.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:24 am

stagmanrob wrote:If fit, Akins plays.

Don't know how anyone can predict a side without him shoe-horned into it when he is available of course.

The difficulty is in predicting WHERE Akins plays.

For me he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI if we're wanting to play our strongest possible side, but for reasons only Burton fans have seemingly witnessed, Clough will always play him.

With him currently out, I find we've been a lot more fluid without him breaking moves down with his terrible first touch or poor passes.

Couldn't agree more.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:32 am

We’ve got our 19 players yes but Law is out with a long term injury?? We’re in desperate need of a striker, we have the second highest xG in the league and have scored one goal.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:46 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby pemill » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:55 am

Personally I think Oates was desperately unlucky not to score on Saturday or at the very least get an assist via a rebound or parry.
You have a split second to get a shot off and he more often than not gets it on target, that would usually result in a goal, one way or another.
So often he is so quick off the mark it leaves him isolated as know one else can keep up with him, leaving him with no other option than to shoot.

There's all this stuff about a striker but goals need to come from other sources, I'd much prefer to have 3 or 4 players weighing in with double figures than 1 player getting 30, although that would be nice.

Due to the way it went last season we haven't seen enough of Oates and Hawkins up front, it could be the combination we all crave.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags88 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:29 pm

Clough is relying way too much on Oates.

Love Clough but go to admit starting to get a bit annoyed.
Stags88
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:39 pm

Stag95 wrote:We’ve got our 19 players yes but Law is out with a long term injury?? We’re in desperate need of a striker, we have the second highest xG in the league and have scored one goal.

I find it quite odd I must admit that Cloughie keeps bemoaning Law being a longer-term absentee.

Hardly gave the lad a kick last season, and has only signed more players that play in his position this season.

Is he trying to make out Law would have played more minutes had he been fit?

Can't see it personally, even though I believe Law should get more minutes as one of the best passers of the ball we have got in the squad
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:52 pm

Injury situation 3 games in is bizarre beyond belief
Kevin Bird and good old Terry Eccles hardly missed a game
Weird
Agree start Gale tonight
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:02 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Injury situation 3 games in is bizarre beyond belief
Weird
Agree start Gale tonight

It should be Oates and Bowery up top tonight and I’d be pretty surprised if it wasn’t. Considering Hawkins is injured and is generally preferred at CB, that is our next best partnership in my opinion.

I’d have Bowery up top over Akins and Swan for sure.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:15 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I sincerely hope this is one of Mr Clough’s famous bluffs and a new player is to start in tomorrow night’s game.

If not James Gale should not go out on loan.

No chance, he's always very honest and the fact he hasn't said we're close to bringing one in certainly rules it out for tomorrow.

Pleased but not surprised to see he's pretty much echoed what I've been saying this past week.

Just wish more would give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to assessing the quality of his own squad.

completely bonkers & in exactly the same bloody hole as he made last season “IF” this isn’t a blag

I would settle now for a play off place, who have you been watchimg that gets promotion eery season
Bonkers i like the phase
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:17 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
Stag95 wrote:We’ve got our 19 players yes but Law is out with a long term injury?? We’re in desperate need of a striker, we have the second highest xG in the league and have scored one goal.

I find it quite odd I must admit that Cloughie keeps bemoaning Law being a longer-term absentee.

Hardly gave the lad a kick last season, and has only signed more players that play in his position this season.

Is he trying to make out Law would have played more minutes had he been fit?

Can't see it personally, even though I believe Law should get more minutes as one of the best passers of the ball we have got in the squad

Law must be rated he is in the 19 man squad
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:21 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Weird
Agree start Gale tonight

It should be Oates and Bowery up top tonight and I’d be pretty surprised if it wasn’t. Considering Hawkins is injured and is generally preferred at CB, that is our next best partnership in my opinion.

Why bring Akins into it he is injured,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:50 pm

bear 73 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Weird
Agree start Gale tonight

Why bring Akins into it he is injured,

:lol: I’m quite aware he’s injured. I’m just speaking generally that I think Bowery is the best partner for Oates (whilst Hawkins is being used at the back/injured).
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:03 pm

A few things just don't add up right for me this season... Why be determined to have a 19 man squad, what is the thinking behind that? 2 keepers, leaves 17 for 10 outfield places. With the best will in the world you need 2 for each spot. 3/4 injuries / suspensions and you then have only 14 for 10 outfield spots and you're making a bench up with kids, in a season where you can use 5 subs... That rule alone should encourage teams to have bigger squads, not smaller ones.

We're short in a few areas... We have 2 wing backs, one of which is injury prone. We don't have single out and out winger. We have too many central midfielders and none of them are able to do other jobs. We have 5 forwards, 2 of which can apparently play anywhere, which fair enough does help solve the wing back issue, then one who is being used a centre back and where performances have been questionable.

Its good to have versatility and a few players like Bowery that can do a job anywhere on a given day if needed, even Hawkins who can play up top of at the back, but we're lacking cover in a few places and are boxed into now playing this formation or the narrow diamond from last season.

Results haven't really match performances so far, so its maybe too early to panic and be overly worried, but to hear the gaffer say he wanted a 19 man squad is worrying. You can use 16 players per game now, plus an unused keeper, thats 17 alone without considering injuries and suspensions.

We need a proper striker and a beast of a centre half. We can't depend on Perch saying fit, Hawkins is ropey at times, Swan is unproven and neither Akins or Bowery will score the goals we need to push for promotion.

If its budget limitations and he doesn't want to say that, fair enough. I'm not asking for the chairman to start pumping money in again if we're running under our own steam. But it sounds like the budget is there if he find the right player, if so, go find them then and quickly... Another injury or two this next week and we're right in the smelly stuff.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:16 pm

Jamie wrote:...to have a 19 man squad, what is the thinking behind that? 2 keepers, leaves 17 for 10 outfield places.

just to clarify, it is a 19 man outfield squad. 2 keepers make it 21 (22 if you include Owen Mason)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:21 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Jamie wrote:...to have a 19 man squad, what is the thinking behind that? 2 keepers, leaves 17 for 10 outfield places.

just to clarify, it is a 19 man outfield squad. 2 keepers make it 21 (22 if you include Owen Mason)

Which still isn't enough, if we sign no more players I don't expect any complaints about a "small squad" when injuries hit. As almost everyone bar our resident duo, who won't countenance any criticism of the manager, thinks our squad is short of a couple of players.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:29 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Which still isn't enough, if we sign no more players I don't expect any complaints about a "small squad" when injuries hit. As almost everyone bar our resident duo, who won't countenance any criticism of the manager, thinks our squad is short of a couple of players.

Rob, please stop with "won't countenance any criticism" raspberrys as a) it's really tiring and repetitive and b) I don't criticise any aspect of the club, not just the manager. I'm generally a positive person when it comes to football and prefer just to let things play out.

I've also said in an ideal world I'd like to see us bring another striker in. The main difference is I believe the squad already has enough ability to get promoted and I won't cry every week until that is no longer possible.

3 League games in isn't the time to make that call.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:44 pm

That's the first time I've said it, get over yourself. Your views are often interesting and I agree with much of what you say, but your credibility is reduced when we all know your reluctance to be critical of our manager due to your well publicised relationship with him. Clough is a good manager and I'm glad he is at our 125 year old football club, but like any manager, before him and after him, fans will criticise some of his decisions and rightly so. You need to somehow find a way of understanding that without going off on one every week :lol:

I think we'll pay dearly if we don't bring in a CB and striker before deadline and if you think the criticism is bad now, imagine us bottom half at Christmas having not strengthened in those 2 key areas.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:57 pm

NC went on record in Jan 2022 transfer window and said we need to sign a dominant centre half.
He failed in that window (when thankfully not signing Piergianni...or however you spell his name)
We still need that same type of player.
By letting Rawson go in the summer we then needed two CH's in through the door.....we have Harbottle who NC has said is having to play more often than he hoped at this early stage.
We apparently now how plenty of cover (Has Wallace started a game in defence for us yet) ??
The fact we are playing 3 CH's is even more bizarre when you realise we are short in that area

NC also said he wanted to sign a No.10 style player......we have not done this yet either and think someone who scores goals better than they assist is a priority.
I really hope we give James Gale a proper crack.......if we dont we will lose out like we did with Lee Gregory who was never given a proper chance even though his goalscoring record at every level he has played at has been excellent.
I do feel though that NC will not give him that chance

I really hope we get a CH and a forward player in...and soon
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:01 pm

Rob wrote:That's the first time I've said it, get over yourself. Your views are often interesting and I agree with much of what you say, but your credibility is reduced when we all know your reluctance to be critical of our manager due to your well publicised relationship with him. Clough is a good manager and I'm glad he is at our 125 year old football club, but like any manager, before him and after him, fans will criticise some of his decisions and rightly so. You need to somehow find a way of understanding that without going off on one every week :lol:

I think we'll pay dearly if we don't bring in a CB and striker before deadline and if you think the criticism is bad now, imagine us bottom half at Christmas having not strengthened in those 2 key areas.

Whether it's the first time YOU'VE said it or not, it's a bandwagon I'm tired of people jumping on, especially as I have no relationship with the manager at all.

Judge what I post, not who I used to know.

If we're out of touch promotion wise I'll be happy to admit I am wrong but until then I'll keep putting forward my reasons for being quite happy with the squad and again I'll stress I'd be even happier with another striker in the squad..

I know it's a discussion board but I remember we went through all of this (and worse) last season so try to understand why I struggle to accept the opinion of those who were wrong as gospel this time around. Especially so early and especially when we've played quite well.

There's more than enough critical/questioning voices on here to absorb one or two who prefer to see how things pan out before saying promotion is impossible.

You're allowed to think we'll pay dearly if we don't add a centre half and a striker and I'm allowed to think we'll still push for promotion whether we add or not.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:12 pm

Whilst our recovery was fantastic last season, I'd say 7th was about par for a club with a top 7 budget as we clearly are. We then performed appallingly at Wembley. We'd have done better had we signed a CB last summer, which most of us were asking for, as was clearly demonstrated when JJ signed,

You are of course entitled to your view and if we don't strengthen I hope you're right.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum