{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough & Stephen Quinn press conference, Mon 18 Oct

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough & Stephen Quinn press conference, Mon 18 Oct

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:07 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Clough told BBC Radio Nottingham:
"The first goal ... I was talking to Bish about it, he thinks he should have saved it comfortably. He's been immaculate for us all season."

He should, I can think of another recent custodian who'd have a thread 4 pages long on the matter now too if it'd been him. Bish could've done better with the 2nd too.
He has to take more responsibility in his 6 yard box too. Relying on weak players like Hewitt to deal with the situation at set pieces is asking for trouble.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Whitehalls Left Foot » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:42 am

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:Not too many commenting on NC's interview so here goes nothing.

I thought that it was an absolutely brilliant watch/listen.

Very honest, very funny and as positive as it could possibly be under the circumstances.

I hope a few of those who are very negative (putting it as politely as I can) watch that and listen to his words.

He understands how close he could be to losing his job but loves it here, loves working with Sharpe and the owners and like I said about my own experience as a Stags fan, the best part of this season has been the backing of fans at the games.

Mentally checked out? Ready to walk away?
Not a chance. He backs himself and I back him as well to start getting the results we desperately need.

I enjoyed it. No idea if you're counting me in the very negative group, I assume so but I also didn't say he'd mentally checked out.

I've been thinking about our form and injuries etc. I'd like to amend an earlier statement (can't seem to find it) about how the injuries and suspensions aren't all 1st team players so it doesn't really count and shouldn't matter (not exactly what I said but the gist) well after some thought and a conversation with one of the bosses at a company I used to work for. I failed to take into account the psycholocal effects.

Basically he has skin cancer and was unable to have the jab, on his street 5 houses down they had confirmed coronavirus, then the 4th house got it, a few days later then the third, then 2nd and then his joined-on neighbours did . He said the closer it got the more cautious and fearful he was he actually took a week off work and did a lateral daily but never came.

It got me thinking what if we have a fear of injury (as daft as that seems) it seems like we are losing a player to something every game we play. It's causing us to be more cautious. They don't want to be next. It's a stereotype but footballers are generally daft and superstitious. Wouldn't take much to get into that mindset. Not saying all of them but it's a possibility.

I try not to comment after a loss especially if it's a poor game. I tend to say stuff I don't mean that I regret once I've mulled on it and watch the highlights. Also especially if it's a game I attend in person. If on ifollow I can recheck what I saw.

Look I may seem like I'm anti-clough, I'm not. I am however anti-ultra defensive set pieces. Always have been and always will be. I also against playing players needlessly out of position, I appreciate that is not always possible and sometimes is a necessity. Again if say the same if Guardiola came and did that. I was saying it last season during our great run. That's my opinion.

As for transfer windows. I agreed with Clough that we needed defensive players, especially at centre back. I just expected more than Hewitt, Burke and Charles. A right back and 2 left backs. Even though he already said kellan was starting right back and Macca was starting left back. Did we need to have 4 right backs and 3 left backs?

I'm not changing my opinions just because he's nigel clough.

The mentally checked out comment came from myself but was asked more as an open question after his post match presser rather than a statement.

Enjoyed his pre match presser and like a few others it reassured me a little , just think NC doesn't do himself any favours in his post match interviews due to his emotional comments that seem to single people out rather than taking a collective responsibility.

I dont doubt his experience and the unprecedented situation he has found himself in is obviously not ideal and I believe we have to break this cycle of hire and fire.

That said in this results business there is a limit to how long a poor run of results can continue.
Whitehalls Left Foot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lifestags » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:59 am

Enjoyed that interview, appreciated Clough's honesty, As frustrated as I have been with him, I hope he can turn this around.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 am

gazza1988 wrote:

Very honest, very funny and as positive as it could possibly be under the circumstances.

I hope a few of those who are very negative (putting it as politely as I can) watch that and listen to his words.

He understands how close he could be to losing his job but loves it here, loves working with Sharpe and the owners and like I said about my own experience as a Stags fan, the best part of this season has been the backing of fans at the games.

Not a chance. He backs himself and I back him as well to start getting the results we desperately need.

I enjoyed it. No idea if you're counting me in the very negative group, I assume so but I also didn't say he'd mentally checked out.

I've been thinking about our form and injuries etc. I'd like to amend an earlier statement (can't seem to find it) about how the injuries and suspensions aren't all 1st team players so it doesn't really count and shouldn't matter (not exactly what I said but the gist) well after some thought and a conversation with one of the bosses at a company I used to work for. I failed to take into account the psycholocal effects.

Basically he has skin cancer and was unable to have the jab, on his street 5 houses down they had confirmed coronavirus, then the 4th house got it, a few days later then the third, then 2nd and then his joined-on neighbours did . He said the closer it got the more cautious and fearful he was he actually took a week off work and did a lateral daily but never came.

It got me thinking what if we have a fear of injury (as daft as that seems) it seems like we are losing a player to something every game we play. It's causing us to be more cautious. They don't want to be next. It's a stereotype but footballers are generally daft and superstitious. Wouldn't take much to get into that mindset. Not saying all of them but it's a possibility.

I try not to comment after a loss especially if it's a poor game. I tend to say stuff I don't mean that I regret once I've mulled on it and watch the highlights. Also especially if it's a game I attend in person. If on ifollow I can recheck what I saw.

Look I may seem like I'm anti-clough, I'm not. I am however anti-ultra defensive set pieces. Always have been and always will be. I also against playing players needlessly out of position, I appreciate that is not always possible and sometimes is a necessity. Again if say the same if Guardiola came and did that. I was saying it last season during our great run. That's my opinion.

As for transfer windows. I agreed with Clough that we needed defensive players, especially at centre back. I just expected more than Hewitt, Burke and Charles. A right back and 2 left backs. Even though he already said kellan was starting right back and Macca was starting left back. Did we need to have 4 right backs and 3 left backs?

I'm not changing my opinions just because he's nigel clough.
Good post.

I think you are correct about the psychological impact on players particularly the nasty head ones we've experienced. Yes, that's their profession, but they are human beings as well.

I also agree that the signings have been disappointing, Not what I expected from Nigel Clough and his team.

However, I'm equally disappointed at the over the top negative comments from some on here ( not you Gazza ).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:41 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:

Dont agree.....i still think he's more intrested in walking that f*****g dog than getting us out of this mess.

We have been in this mess for 17 years, whats your rush
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 am

I feel so gutted with our results and can see no light at the end of the tunnel , our defensive injuries go on forever and until we address them we will struggle.
Hewitt will never be a aggressive power in defence, and is easily bullied by forwards, and is a weak link around the penalty area,
He maybe a contender for full back .
Quinn puts our problems into perspective not having a settled side, to many players missing.
Once more like on many occasions Clough gives you confidence going forward he understands the problem and the answer remains amongst his squad of players.
Sayings Northampton was crap summed up what many fans thought, some fans are unsettled about his comments on the performance of players.
Being strong mentally is vital in a players career, and Clough has been around players as a player and a manager, if he dont understand them who does.
Oh of coarse a key board warrior,
A good interview,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:06 pm

That was a very clever interview from a very clever experienced manager infront of the cameras.
He has got Stevo wrapped around his little finger and gives him looks before he asks a question that would kill :D
He sort of flirts with Stevo makes him laugh tells him he enjoys working with him the CEO and the owners, then his face changes to the look of a serial killer as he waits for the next question.
Brilliant.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:31 pm

I think the camaraderie and chemistry him and Stevo have got is brilliant and I enjoy every one of their interviews.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum