{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough & Stephen Quinn press conference, Mon 18 Oct

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough & Stephen Quinn press conference, Mon 18 Oct

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:56 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Clough & Stephen Quinn press conference, Tue 19 Oct

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:58 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:16 pm

videos available on iFollow

Clough:
"We know we were crap on Saturday."
"We're under no illusions that (getting the sack) is a possibility, that comes with the territory."
"George Cooper is back training on the grass this morning. He's pencilled in to play in the U23 game at Wigan a week on Wednesday." (it's actually a week on Thursday according to Mansfield and Wigan official websites)
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:55 pm

Think you got wrong date in thread title Martin? Is match on ifollow?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:00 pm

The One wrote:Think you got wrong date in thread title Martin? Is match on ifollow?

amended, thanks.

Yes, you can buy a match pass for tomorrow's game.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:09 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
The One wrote:Think you got wrong date in thread title Martin? Is match on ifollow?

amended, thanks.

Yes, you can buy a match pass for tomorrow's game.

Thanks

BTW its Monday today :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Re: Clough & Stephen Quinn press conference, Mon 18 Oct

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:36 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:25 pm

100 per cent should be captain.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:30 pm

The One wrote:100 per cent should be captain.

Yep! Clarke doesn't appear to lead at all
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:34 pm

Not with letting the club and fans down, I hope he earns it though in the next few games.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:35 pm

Not too many commenting on NC's interview so here goes nothing.

I thought that it was an absolutely brilliant watch/listen.

Very honest, very funny and as positive as it could possibly be under the circumstances.

I hope a few of those who are very negative (putting it as politely as I can) watch that and listen to his words.

He understands how close he could be to losing his job but loves it here, loves working with Sharpe and the owners and like I said about my own experience as a Stags fan, the best part of this season has been the backing of fans at the games.

Mentally checked out? Ready to walk away?
Not a chance. He backs himself and I back him as well to start getting the results we desperately need.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:45 pm

I hope Quinn stays fit and Sinc finds his goal boots
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:19 pm

broomo wrote:Not too many commenting on NC's interview so here goes nothing.

Very honest, very funny and as positive as it could possibly be under the circumstances.

I hope a few of those who are very negative (putting it as politely as I can) watch that and listen to his words.

He understands how close he could be to losing his job but loves it here, loves working with Sharpe and the owners and like I said about my own experience as a Stags fan, the best part of this season has been the backing of fans at the games.

Not a chance. He backs himself and I back him as well to start getting the results we desperately need.

Just got around to watching it Broomo and I agree, impressive and reassuring somehow. Lifted my mood a little. I suppose that’s the years of experience being drawn upon.

I think it also came across as he might have been given a bit of reassurance from above that his job is not under immediate threat.

Let’s have that win tomorrow, or at very least a performance where we can say we were hard done by with a draw.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 pm

I enjoyed it. No idea if you're counting me in the very negative group, I assume so but I also didn't say he'd mentally checked out.

I've been thinking about our form and injuries etc. I'd like to amend an earlier statement (can't seem to find it) about how the injuries and suspensions aren't all 1st team players so it doesn't really count and shouldn't matter (not exactly what I said but the gist) well after some thought and a conversation with one of the bosses at a company I used to work for. I failed to take into account the psycholocal effects.

Basically he has skin cancer and was unable to have the jab, on his street 5 houses down they had confirmed coronavirus, then the 4th house got it, a few days later then the third, then 2nd and then his joined-on neighbours did . He said the closer it got the more cautious and fearful he was he actually took a week off work and did a lateral daily but never came.

It got me thinking what if we have a fear of injury (as daft as that seems) it seems like we are losing a player to something every game we play. It's causing us to be more cautious. They don't want to be next. It's a stereotype but footballers are generally daft and superstitious. Wouldn't take much to get into that mindset. Not saying all of them but it's a possibility.

I try not to comment after a loss especially if it's a poor game. I tend to say stuff I don't mean that I regret once I've mulled on it and watch the highlights. Also especially if it's a game I attend in person. If on ifollow I can recheck what I saw.

Look I may seem like I'm anti-clough, I'm not. I am however anti-ultra defensive set pieces. Always have been and always will be. I also against playing players needlessly out of position, I appreciate that is not always possible and sometimes is a necessity. Again if say the same if Guardiola came and did that. I was saying it last season during our great run. That's my opinion.

As for transfer windows. I agreed with Clough that we needed defensive players, especially at centre back. I just expected more than Hewitt, Burke and Charles. A right back and 2 left backs. Even though he already said kellan was starting right back and Macca was starting left back. Did we need to have 4 right backs and 3 left backs?

I'm not changing my opinions just because he's nigel clough.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:52 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

I enjoyed it. No idea if you're counting me in the very negative group, I assume so but I also didn't say he'd mentally checked out.

I've been thinking about our form and injuries etc. I'd like to amend an earlier statement (can't seem to find it) about how the injuries and suspensions aren't all 1st team players so it doesn't really count and shouldn't matter (not exactly what I said but the gist) well after some thought and a conversation with one of the bosses at a company I used to work for. I failed to take into account the psycholocal effects.

Basically he has skin cancer and was unable to have the jab, on his street 5 houses down they had confirmed coronavirus, then the 4th house got it, a few days later then the third, then 2nd and then his joined-on neighbours did . He said the closer it got the more cautious and fearful he was he actually took a week off work and did a lateral daily but never came.

It got me thinking what if we have a fear of injury (as daft as that seems) it seems like we are losing a player to something every game we play. It's causing us to be more cautious. They don't want to be next. It's a stereotype but footballers are generally daft and superstitious. Wouldn't take much to get into that mindset. Not saying all of them but it's a possibility.

I try not to comment after a loss especially if it's a poor game. I tend to say stuff I don't mean that I regret once I've mulled on it and watch the highlights. Also especially if it's a game I attend in person. If on ifollow I can recheck what I saw.

Look I may seem like I'm anti-clough, I'm not. I am however anti-ultra defensive set pieces. Always have been and always will be. I also against playing players needlessly out of position, I appreciate that is not always possible and sometimes is a necessity. Again if say the same if Guardiola came and did that. I was saying it last season during our great run. That's my opinion.

As for transfer windows. I agreed with Clough that we needed defensive players, especially at centre back. I just expected more than Hewitt, Burke and Charles. A right back and 2 left backs. Even though he already said kellan was starting right back and Macca was starting left back. Did we need to have 4 right backs and 3 left backs?

I'm not changing my opinions just because he's nigel clough.

I don't have you down as one of the negatives. Occasionally think you focus a bit too much on the square pegs in round holes argument but almost always enjoy your posts.

People can be "anti" and I can still respect their viewpoint and comments. It's a bit of a myth pushed by the same group of posters that I argue with the whole forum whenever NC is criticised.

I don't, I just argue with the half a dozen who turn things nasty.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Just got around to watching it Broomo and I agree, impressive and reassuring somehow. Lifted my mood a little. I suppose that’s the years of experience being drawn upon.

I think it also came across as he might have been given a bit of reassurance from above that his job is not under immediate threat.

Let’s have that win tomorrow, or at very least a performance where we can say we were hard done by with a draw.

It's not. I'm certain they are sticking with him and not panicking..

Lad on Facebook, relation to Tobias is it the kit man? Says sharpe been there all hours this week

My guess, planning for January now?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm

Dont agree.....i still think he's more intrested in walking that f*****g dog than getting us out of this mess.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:05 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:

Dont agree.....i still think he's more intrested in walking that f*****g dog than getting us out of this mess.

As opposed to walking your sheep do you mean?

How is the missus by the way?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:34 pm

Great interview from the gaffer, he deserves a bit of respect and a little bit longer to get it straight. Be good to see some performances soon even if the results continue to go against us.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:46 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:Great interview from the gaffer, he deserves a bit of respect and a little bit longer to get it straight. Be good to see some performances soon even if the results continue to go against us.

Agree. Hope he got his mojo back
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby ElwoodBlues » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:46 pm

I though that was a class interview from Nigel.

Showed all his experience , knows exactly where is at , no panic , upbeat and in control of the situation and that is exactly what we need from a Manager to get out of this rut.

Stand firm, keep together and don't freaking panic.
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his world
ElwoodBlues
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The One » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:

As opposed to walking your sheep do you mean?

How is the missus by the way?

She is still clip clopping over the bridge
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:

Whoosh !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:42 pm

Clough told BBC Radio Nottingham:
"The first goal ... I was talking to Bish about it, he thinks he should have saved it comfortably. He's been immaculate for us all season."
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum