{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sheff Wed game in Papa Johns Trophy: Sheff Wed sell out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sheff Wed game in Papa Johns Trophy: Sheff Wed sell out

Postby adamstag » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:58 pm

Rob wrote:I think you are wrong Adam. I suspect the original intention was to eventually get B teams in the Lower leagues but clearly this will never be supported by fans. You might have thought that super rich owners could ride rough shod over supporters, but with the super league debacle and the stark reminder clubs have had of what football is with no fans present, this is an absolute non-starter. The pyramid structure of English football is sacrosanct and no-one will ever accept a B team replacing a football league club.

In this competition no-one from the football league has been replaced.

I think the world would spin off its axis if we agreed rob, either way i suppose we can agree that we both want the best for our club.

I certainly believe the likelihood of B teams has receded for the time being, though i believe the example of the super league is a little off given the media interest and level of fans, would the media care the same if a mansfield or a rochdale were being screwed over, sadly i doubt it.

Your point about no clubs being replaced is certainly correct, though that’s why i think they’ve been so smart, get in clubs without anyone else and hide behind the “64 teams condenses down in a cup format” pay decent sums to winners of the games and get them used to it - as others have above, i guess fans have different views on it.

Personally if i had my way i’d raspberry the under 23s off altogether (if you’re 22 and not in the starting line up you’ll not be good enough anyway) i’d rather 16 conference clubs in it.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:00 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Not arguing that fans would kick off more in the case this was suggested for the league. What baffles me though is that some fans are happy to have a competitions integrity to be compromised via the introduction of premier league reserves. It is disrespectful to every single club in leagues 1 and 2. Do you honestly think if we got to Wembley and played an U23 side it would be anywhere near as big a deal as when we have got there in the past?

Anyone know what is the furthest any u23 team has gone in the competition to date?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:01 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Not arguing that fans would kick off more in the case this was suggested for the league. What baffles me though is that some fans are happy to have a competitions integrity to be compromised via the introduction of premier league reserves. It is disrespectful to every single club in leagues 1 and 2. Do you honestly think if we got to Wembley and played an U23 side it would be anywhere near as big a deal as when we have got there in the past?

You can use the same argument for the FA Cup and EFL Cup, both have been devalued hugely over the years. I do think getting to the Final would be huge, not 87 sure, but would still be fantastic for the club. We have an affinity to this competition because we won it but we really stopped caring about it long before u21 sides came along.

I enjoy it mainly because I can relax watching it far more than the stress of a league match :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:05 pm

adamstag wrote:
Rob wrote:I think you are wrong Adam. I suspect the original intention was to eventually get B teams in the Lower leagues but clearly this will never be supported by fans. You might have thought that super rich owners could ride rough shod over supporters, but with the super league debacle and the stark reminder clubs have had of what football is with no fans present, this is an absolute non-starter. The pyramid structure of English football is sacrosanct and no-one will ever accept a B team replacing a football league club.

In this competition no-one from the football league has been replaced.

I think the world would spin off its axis if we agreed rob, either way i suppose we can agree that we both want the best for our club.

I certainly believe the likelihood of B teams has receded for the time being, though i believe the example of the super league is a little off given the media interest and level of fans, would the media care the same if a mansfield or a rochdale were being screwed over, sadly i doubt it.

Your point about no clubs being replaced is certainly correct, though that’s why i think they’ve been so smart, get in clubs without anyone else and hide behind the “64 teams condenses down in a cup format” pay decent sums to winners of the games and get them used to it - as others have above, i guess fans have different views on it.

Personally if i had my way i’d raspberry the under 23s off altogether (if you’re 22 and not in the starting line up you’ll not be good enough anyway) i’d rather 16 conference clubs in it.

I think we only really disagree when you start calling for managers heads after 8 games ;)

I do agree that I would prefer it if u21/23 sides were not in the comp but am certainly not frothing at the mouth about it. The Premier League involvement means financially this is much more lucrative than ever before. I think Lincoln made over half a million, or in other words, maybe half a Bishop St Stand!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am

broomo wrote:

Anyone know what is the furthest any u23 team has gone in the competition to date?

Chelsea U21's got to the semi final but lost on penalties to Lincoln. So a penalty shootout away from a Wembley appearance.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:09 am

How many games do these u23 sides actually play on average in this cup? If they really wanted to develop these players they'd make more effort getting them all out on loan.

Can't see how 4/5 games a year in this cup helps them, especially when teams like us play our kids too. Just happy we get decent prize money.

The season an u23 team gets to the final or there's an all u23 final it'll be the end of it.

There's been talks of having a cup introduced for league one and two and the conference to compete in. Would be interesting
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:05 am

Sedgwick wrote:The season an u23 team gets to the final or there's an all u23 final it'll be the end of it.

Or voices like Pep will only get louder
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:42 am

Do we need another cup, Question is how serious would clubs take it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:52 am

We don't need another cup. We have enough on with 51 games, then theres the potential to actually do well in the cups, including replays. Then there's pitches getting waterlogged and frozen. Postponements.

Unless there's some cash injection to get under soil heating and decent drainage to all grounds then I can't see an extra cup helping in any way.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:59 pm

gazza1988 wrote:We don't need another cup. We have enough on with 51 games, then theres the potential to actually do well in the cups, including replays. Then there's pitches getting waterlogged and frozen. Postponements.

Unless there's some cash injection to get under soil heating and decent drainage to all grounds then I can't see an extra cup helping in any way.

The best way to sort out postponements is for the EFL to come out of the dark ages (fat chance) and authorise 4G pitches.

They’re common abroad and england have played and international on them, they’re cost effective and massive reduce the chances of games being called off, but i guess that’s a conversation for another day.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:09 pm

adamstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:We don't need another cup. We have enough on with 51 games, then theres the potential to actually do well in the cups, including replays. Then there's pitches getting waterlogged and frozen. Postponements.

The best way to sort out postponements is for the EFL to come out of the dark ages (fat chance) and authorise 4G pitches.

They’re common abroad and england have played and international on them, they’re cost effective and massive reduce the chances of games being called off, but i guess that’s a conversation for another day.

100% agree. I can't imagine undersoil heating being very "green"
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 pm

A lot of people are really anti 4g pitches due to the injuries they cause.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:09 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
adamstag wrote:

But replacing CO2 guzzling O2 producing grass with plastic is???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:A lot of people are really anti 4g pitches due to the injuries they cause.

Bingo, one off games aren't so bad but over a whole season its a no...

Also cant stand the thought of of a league made up of some grass and some 4G pitches...
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:02 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:A lot of people are really anti 4g pitches due to the injuries they cause.

Also cant stand the thought of of a league made up of some grass and some 4G pitches...

4g pitches are much improved and are authorised by UEFA and FIFA and internationals have been played on them, the injuries claimed are by dinosaurs.

It’s odd how internationals play on 4G pitches but EFL dinosaurs won’t allow a 4th division match on them, it’s really embarrassing how backward some are on it (not aiming that at you)

This will happen in 10 years and it can’t come soon enough
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 pm

Nigel Clough says we moved the kick off forward (to 7pm) for the Sheff Wed game to help their supporters with train times.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:32 pm

Get used to the idea of artificial pitches. They’re inevitable
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:41 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Nigel Clough says we moved the kick off forward (to 7pm) for the Sheff Wed game to help their supporters with train times.

Let’s hope penalties don’t delay them.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:23 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Lesser of 2 evils. We can always plant a tree. That makes everything better, right?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 am

As an aside to the debate about the inclusion of U23 teams in this competition, I’d be making at least 2 of the lower tier blocks available for Weds supporters.
Opportunity to make some much needed cash
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:17 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Lesser of 2 evils. We can always plant a tree. That makes everything better, right?

If that's your opinion?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:44 am

adamstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

4g pitches are much improved and are authorised by UEFA and FIFA and internationals have been played on them, the injuries claimed are by dinosaurs.

It’s odd how internationals play on 4G pitches but EFL dinosaurs won’t allow a 4th division match on them, it’s really embarrassing how backward some are on it (not aiming that at you)

The people I've heard discuss them are certainly not dinosaurs.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:20 am

Oak Tree Stag wrote:As an aside to the debate about the inclusion of U23 teams in this competition, I’d be making at least 2 of the lower tier blocks available for Weds supporters.
Opportunity to make some much needed cash

I think they will be all over the ground, they used to take over the west stand and made a hell of a lot of noise.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:02 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

The people I've heard discuss them are certainly not dinosaurs.

So can you point us to the evidence that 4g pitches cause more injuries than grass pitches? I've searched and the results are very mixed, indeed many argue 4g pitches are safer because the surface is flat, even, no dog crao etc, etc.

These pitches are approved by FIFA and UEFA and have been used in major international tournaments. Thet wouldn't happen if they were unsafe.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:07 am

chip63 wrote:I think they will be all over the ground, they used to take over the west stand and made a hell of a lot of noise.

They can have as much of the ground as they want as long as they do not throw bricks at me on Portland Sidings. I had to shelter behind some cars with my Grandad. :shock:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum