{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:17 am

Oli Hawkins is probably the tallest forward to sign for the Stags at 6 foot 6 closely followed by Ollie Palmer, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe and Mark Sale at 6 foot 5. We then move on to Matt Rhead, John McAliskey, Andy White and Keith Alexander at 6 foot 4.

Many veteran Stags fans point out that Dudley Roberts was the finest header of a ball seen at Field Mill and he is 6 foot and Danny Danny Rose is only 5 foot 8.

I think the tallest player to play for the Stags is "The Snooker Cue" and former DF Assistant Manager, Ben Futcher, at 6 foot 7 which is the same height as Peter Crouch.

I am struggling to remember some of the big lads such as Tomi Ameobi (on loan from Donny Rovers) and Andy Evans (on loan from Barnsley).

Players have certainly got taller in more recent times

Have I missed any?

Oli Hawkins 6 foot 6
Ollie Palmer 6 foot 5
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe 6 foot 5
Mark Sale 6 foot 5
Matt Rhead 6 foot 4
Kyle Perry 6 foot 4
John McAliskey 6 foot 4
Andy White 6 foot 4
Keith Alexander 6 foot 4
Alex Fisher 6 foot 3
Jason Lee 6 foot 3
Tomi Ameobi 6 foot 3
Ian Helliwell 6 foot 3
Alan Waddle 6 foot 3
Vadaine Oliver 6 foot 2
Craig Davies 6 foot 2
Calvin Andrew 6 foot 2
Yoann Arquin 6 foot 2
Jordan Graham 6 foot 2
Ross Dyer 6 foot 2
Lee Gregory 6 foot 2
Jefferson Louis 6 foot 2
Barry Conlon 6 foot 2
Martin Gritton 6 foot 2
Andy Evans 6 foot 2
John Pearson 6 foot 2
Lee Angol 6 foot 1.5
Trevor Christie 6 foot 1.5
Jordan Bowery 6 foot 1
Andy Cook 6 foot 1
Adi Yussuf 6 foot 1
Paul Connor 6 foot 1
James Alabi 6 foot 1
Rob Duffy 6 foot 1
Luke Medley 6 foot 1
Guy Ipoura 6 foot 1
Martin Gritton 6 foot 1
Stewart Hadley 6 foot 1
Phil Stant 6 foot 1
Roddy Collins 6 foot 1
Trevor Morgan 6 foot 1
Terry Austin 6 foot 1
Ernie Moss 6 foot 1
Ray Harford 6 foot 1 (centre half who played up front)
Colin Harrington 6 foot 1
Roy Chapman 6 foot 1
Terry Eccles 6 foot 0.5
Malcom Partridge 6 foot 0.5
Matt Green 6 foot
Laurent D'Jaffo 6 foot
Richie Barker 6 foot
Chris Tate 6 foot
Jason White 6 foot
Iffy Onuora 6 foot
Simon Coleman 6 foot (centre half who played up front)
Dudley Roberts 6 foot

Chris Greenacre 5 foot 11
Dave Syrett 5 foot 11
Ray Clarke 5 foot 11
Kevin Randall 5 foot 10.5
Steve Wilkinson 5 foot 10
Keith Cassells 5 foot 10
Ken Wagstaff 5 foot 9.5
Danny Rose 5 foot 8
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9475
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:37 am

This is peak stagsnet....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3910
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:57 am

Captain Cunno wrote:This is peak stagsnet....


I want a thread on inside leg measurements
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 16743
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:58 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Oli Hawkins is probably the tallest forward to sign for the Stags at 6 foot 6 closely followed by Ollie Palmer, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe and Mark Sale at 6 foot 5. We then move on to Matt Rhead, John McAliskey, Andy White and Keith Alexander at 6 foot 4.

Many veteran Stags fans point out that Dudley Roberts was the finest header of a ball seen at Field Mill and he is 6 foot and Danny Danny Rose is only 5 foot 8.

I think the tallest player to play for the Stags is "The Snooker Cue" and former DF Assistant Manager, Ben Futcher, at 6 foot 7 which is the same height as Peter Crouch.

I am struggling to remember some of the big lads such as Tomi Ameobi (on loan from Donny Rovers) and Andy Evans (on loan from Barnsley).

Players have certainly got taller in more recent times

Have I missed any?

Oli Hawkins 6 foot 6
Ollie Palmer 6 foot 5
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe 6 foot 5
Mark Sale 6 foot 5
Matt Rhead 6 foot 4
John McAliskey 6 foot 4
Andy White 6 foot 4
Keith Alexander 6 foot 4
Alex Fisher 6 foot 3
Jason Lee 6 foot 3
Tomi Ameobi 6 foot 3
Ian Helliwell 6 foot 3
Alan Waddle 6 foot 3
Vadaine Oliver 6 foot 2
Craig Davies 6 foot 2
Calvin Andrew 6 foot 2
Yoann Arquin 6 foot 2
Jordan Graham 6 foot 2
Ross Dyer 6 foot 2
Jefferson Louis 6 foot 2
Barry Conlon 6 foot 2
Andy Evans 6 foot 2
John Pearson 6 foot 2
Lee Angol 6 foot 1.5
Trevor Christie 6 foot 1.5
Jordan Bowery 6 foot 1
Andy Cook 6 foot 1
Adi Yussuf 6 foot 1
Paul Connor 6 foot 1
James Alabi 6 foot 1
Rob Duffy 6 foot 1
Luke Medley 6 foot 1
Stewart Hadley 6 foot 1
Phil Stant 6 foot 1
Trevor Morgan 6 foot 1
Terry Austin 6 foot 1
Ernie Moss 6 foot 1
Ray Harford 6 foot 1 (centre half who played up front)
Colin Harrington 6 foot 1
Roy Chapman 6 foot 1
Terry Eccles 6 foot 0.5
Malcom Partridge 6 foot 0.5
Matt Green 6 foot
Richie Barker 6 foot
Dudley Roberts 6 foot


Ray Clarke 5 foot 11
Kevin Randall 5 foot 10.5
Steve Wilkinson 5 foot 10
Ken Wagstaff 5 foot 9.5
Danny Rose 5 foot 8


I’m not 100% sure Tippy but if memory serves correctly Dominic Sharkey was far and above our tallest player :D :D
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4571
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:00 am

Kept me entertained whilst watching England in the 2nd half last night :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9475
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Vice President » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:57 am

Interesting! One wonders how accurate some of these heights actually are. Back in the day were they actually measured or just self-declared?
There are a few surprises in there, I didn't realise how tall some players were. Similarly, I would have thought Wilkinson might have been taller and Randall shorter.
For all their height, Dudley Roberts and Ernie Moss were the best headers in my opinion. (The quality of the crosses no doubt helped).
Someone did some research and deduced that the ideal height for a striker was 5 foot 10 inches. However that was based on International players were the ball is played more on the ground. I think league 2 requires a bit of height at times.
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:08 am

Vice President wrote:Interesting! One wonders how accurate some of these heights actually are. Back in the day were they actually measured or just self-declared?
There are a few surprises in there, I didn't realise how tall some players were. Similarly, I would have thought Wilkinson might have been taller and Randall shorter.
For all their height, Dudley Roberts and Ernie Moss were the best headers in my opinion. (The quality of the crosses no doubt helped).
Someone did some research and deduced that the ideal height for a striker was 5 foot 10 inches. However that was based on International players were the ball is played more on the ground. I think league 2 requires a bit of height at times.


It's very true and certainly something that's often misreported.

For example, Soccerbase have Hawkins as 6ft 4, Football Manager database has him as 6ft 5
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:17 am

Has Stevo added on an extra inch to get more publicity :lol:

Lifestag (Dan) has suggested Kyle Perry who is down as 6 foot 4 on wikipedia whereas Rob Duffy is only 6 foot 1

I missed out Martin Gritton who was 6 foot 2 and Laurent D'Jaffo was 6 foot.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9475
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:03 pm

Chris Greenacre was 5 foot 11 which is the same height as Ray Clarke and Kevin Bird. I'd have them both as taller than Greenacre.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9475
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Big yella » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:16 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:This is peak stagsnet....


I want a thread on inside leg measurements

I want one that would have Kevin Hitchcock way out in the lead. ;)(if you know, you know)
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
User avatar
Big yella
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4800
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Bradders » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:26 pm

I think that the best header of the ball is likely to be less tall. Taller players find it harder to leave the ground because they haven't had to leap for a ball very often, so they tend to be quite static when heading. A striker of 5'10" will have to get airborne to intercept a cross, and will then be in a more dynamic position. If he's 8" off the ground, which isn't much to ask, then he's at the same altitude as the 6'6" striker.
I suspect that there's not much advantage for taller players, except that they are more visible and the cross can be sent towards them more easily. I guess that Hawkins has been signed so that the likes of Lapslie and McLaughlin have someone to aim at.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:22 pm

Ryan Williams 5’4” played alongside Mark Sale 6’5”. At times it looked quite comical.
halifaxstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:18 am
Location: Northowram, Halifax

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Vice President » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:14 pm

halifaxstag wrote:Ryan Williams 5’4” played alongside Mark Sale 6’5”. At times it looked quite comical.


That reminds me - Les Robinson was really short for a central defender (5'6"). Noticeable alongside a typically tall centre-half. It didn't seem to hold his career back though.
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:35 pm

Vice President wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:Ryan Williams 5’4” played alongside Mark Sale 6’5”. At times it looked quite comical.


That reminds me - Les Robinson was really short for a central defender (5'6"). Noticeable alongside a typically tall centre-half. It didn't seem to hold his career back though.


Stuart Reddington was a big lad
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:24 pm

I remember being at Orient away and seeing Mark Sale slam an opposition player's head into the advertising boards behind the goal. He got a red.
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5397
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 pm

ParisStag wrote:I remember being at Orient away and seeing Mark Sale slam an opposition player's head into the advertising boards behind the goal. He got a red.

yes I also remember that incident well. It was gbh!

Prefer to remember him for goals like this!

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22367
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:40 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Vice President wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:Ryan Williams 5’4” played alongside Mark Sale 6’5”. At times it looked quite comical.


That reminds me - Les Robinson was really short for a central defender (5'6"). Noticeable alongside a typically tall centre-half. It didn't seem to hold his career back though.


Stuart Reddington was a big lad


Yes he was tall, must be up there. Played here in Lincoln for Moorlands I think.
As VP says, Sir Les was small, but absolute class.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:52 pm

Big yella wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:This is peak stagsnet....


I want a thread on inside leg measurements

I want one that would have Kevin Hitchcock way out in the lead. ;)(if you know, you know)


Mel knows
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:19 pm

halifaxstag wrote:Ryan Williams 5’4” played alongside Mark Sale 6’5”. At times it looked quite comical.


I'm sure Chris, the club photographer, is working out how he can get a photo with Oli Hawkins stood next to Jack Hawkins :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9475
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby ParisStag » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:30 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
ParisStag wrote:I remember being at Orient away and seeing Mark Sale slam an opposition player's head into the advertising boards behind the goal. He got a red.

yes I also remember that incident well. It was gbh!

Prefer to remember him for goals like this!


Yeah he was great on his day..
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5397
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Big Lads Up Front - Tall Stags Strikers

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 pm

halifaxstag wrote:Ryan Williams 5’4” played alongside Mark Sale 6’5”. At times it looked quite comical.

We've had several players that have looked quite commical. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7526
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am


Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: berryhillstag, Chris M, marker_mtfc95, MTFCMusings, Rob and 43 guests