{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 pm

We hate stats, stick to your own thread!

*Tippy posts stats in threat titled League 2 Stats*

Still gets negative replies.

The clues is in the title, just scroll on by? Or do need our own forum sub section now? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 pm

Highest away xG of the season on Wednesday (2.6)
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:22 pm

But we scored 3.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 22176
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby The One » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:25 pm

Spiritater wrote:But we scored 3.


Should have had 4 with peno. 5 with Laps hitting bar. So that screws that up.
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12430
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:53 am

The One wrote:
Spiritater wrote:But we scored 3.


Should have had 4 with peno. 5 with Laps hitting bar. So that screws that up.

That just makes no sense. Should have had ? Unless the ball crosses the line and is given it means nowt. Utter ball hocks
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 15784
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:23 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:31 pm

We have now moved into the play off positions in the xG table. We are 7th with a record of P24 W10 D9 L5 = 39 Points (+7 points). Our away win over Oldham Athletic was our best away xG attacking performance of the season (2.6). The home win against Salford City was the 2nd best xG home performance after Port vale (3.4). Our defensive performance at Southend yesterday (0.5) was our equal best away performance with Bolton(A). 7 out of our 10 best attacking xG performances and 8 out of our best 10 defensive performances have come under Nigel Clough.

We also had 53% possession against Southend United which is our equal best away possession % of the season with the Morecambe game.

Stats show that on xG we should have beat Tranmere(H), Bolton Wanderers(A), Crawley Town(H), Grimsby Town(A), Southend United(H), Scunthorpe United(A), Port Vale(H), Salford City(H), Oldham Athletic(A) and Southend United(A). We deserved to lose on xG to Newport County(A), Bradford City(H), Barrow(H), Forest Green Rovers,(A) and Carlisle United(A).

Our best attacking performances of the season were:
Port Vale(H) 3.4 xG
Crawley Town(H) 2.8
Oldham Athletic(A) 2.6
Salford City(H) 2.4
Scunthorpe United(A) 1.7
Tranmere Rovers(H) 1.7
Leyton Orient(A) 1.5
Southend United(H) 1.5
Bradford City(H) 1.4
Grimsby Town(A) 1.4

Our best defensive performances were:
Tranmere Rovers(H) 0.2
Port Vale(H) 0.4
Bolton Wanderers(A) 0.5
Southend United(A) 0.5
Walsall(H) 0.7
Colchester United(H) 0.7
Southend United(H) 0.7
Scunthorpe United(A) 0.7
Crawley Town(H) 0.8
Grimsby Town(A) 0.8

Expected Goals
Mansfield Town 1.7 Tranmere Rovers 0.2 (HT:0.7-0.2) 3 Points
Leyton Orient 1.4 Mansfield Town 1.5 (HT:0.6-0.2) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 1.3 Exeter City 1.1 (HT:0.6 v 0.25) 1 Point
Newport County 1.5 Mansfield Town 1.0 (HT:0.25 v 0.25) 0 Points
Mansfield Town 1.1 Stevenage 1.1 (HT:0.6 v 0.6) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 1.4 Bradford City 2.1 (HT:0.7 v 1.0) 0 Points
Morecambe 1.2 Mansfield Town 0.9 (HT:0.5 v 0.5) 1 Point
Cheltenham Town 1.0 Mansfield Town 0.9 (HT:0.3 v 0.6) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 1.3 Barrow 2.1 (HT:0.3 v 1.4) 0 Points
Mansfield Town 0.9 Walsall 0.7 (HT:0.3-0.25) 1 Point
Bolton Wanderers 0.5 Mansfield Town 1.1 (HT:0.25-0.5) 3 Points
Forest Green Rovers 2.2 Mansfield Town 1.2 (HT: 0.8 v 1) 0 Points
Mansfield Town 0.9 Colchester United 0.7 (HT: 0.3 v 0.3) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 1.3 Harrogate Town 1.6 (HT: 0.55 v 0.8) 1 Point
Cambridge United 1.3 Mansfield Town 1.3 (HT: 0.45 v 0.7) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 2.8 Crawley Town 0.8 (HT: 1.5 v 0) 3 Points
Grimsby Town 1.0 Mansfield Town 1.4 (HT: 0.2 v 0.2) 3 Points
Carlisle United 2.0 Mansfield Town 0.7 (HT: 0.95 v 0.45) 0 Points
Mansfield Town 1.5 Southend United 0.7 (HT: 0.4 v 0.5) 3 Points
Scunthorpe United 0.7 Mansfield Town 1.7 (HT: 0.4 v 0.6) 3 Points
Mansfield Town 3.4 Port Vale 0.4 (HT: 1.3 v 0.15) 3 Points
Mansfield Town 2.4 Salford City 1.8 ( 1.8 v 0.4) 3 Points
Oldham Athletic 0.9 Mansfield Town 2.6 (HT: 0.4 v 2.1) 3 Points
Southend United 0.5 Mansfield Town 1.5 (HT 0.3 v 0.8) 3 Points

Squad Churn as at 21st September 2020: 7th Highest (49%)
% of minutes played in 2019-2020 by players who are still at club
We will probably have a higher squad churn now due to Danny Rose leaving.

Possession
v Tranmere Rovers (Home) 51%
v Leyton Orient (Away) 40%
v Exeter City (Home) 47%
v Newport County (Away) 43%
v Stevenage (Home) 64%
v Bradford City (Home) 45%
v Morecambe (Away) 53%
v Cheltenham (Away) 42%
v Barrow (Home) 40%
v Walsall (Home) 52%
v Bolton Wanderers (Away) 44%
v Forest Green Rovers (Away) 31.5%
v Colchester United (Home) 44%
v Harrogate Town (Home) 57%
v Cambridge United (Home) 47%
v Crawley Town (Home) 51%
v Grimsby Town (Away) 44.5%
v Carlisle United (Away) 52%
v Southend United (Home) 61.5%
v Scunthorpe United (Away) 48%
v Port Vale (Home) 60%
v Salford City (Home) 49%
v Oldham Athletic (Away) 44%
v Southend United (Away) 53%

xG Table 2019-2020
Mansfield Town: W14 D5 L17, 47 Points, Position: 15th
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8432
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:43 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We have now moved into the play off positions in the xG table. We are 7th with a record of P24 W10 D9 L5 = 39 Points (+7 points). Our away win over Oldham Athletic was our best away xG attacking performance of the season (2.6). The home win against Salford City was the 2nd best xG home performance after Port vale (3.4). Our defensive performance at Southend yesterday (0.5) was our equal best away performance with Bolton(A). 7 out of our 10 best attacking xG performances and 8 out of our best 10 defensive performances have come under Nigel Clough.

We also had 53% possession against Southend United which is our equal best away possession % of the season with the Morecambe game.

Stats show that on xG we should have beat Tranmere(H), Bolton Wanderers(A), Crawley Town(H), Grimsby Town(A), Southend United(H), Scunthorpe United(A), Port Vale(H), Salford City(H), Oldham Athletic(A) and Southend United(A). We deserved to lose on xG to Newport County(A), Bradford City(H), Barrow(H), Forest Green Rovers,(A) and Carlisle United(A).

Our best attacking performances of the season were:
Port Vale(H) 3.4 xG
Crawley Town(H) 2.8
Oldham Athletic(A) 2.6
Salford City(H) 2.4
Scunthorpe United(A) 1.7
Tranmere Rovers(H) 1.7
Leyton Orient(A) 1.5
Southend United(H) 1.5
Bradford City(H) 1.4
Grimsby Town(A) 1.4

Our best defensive performances were:
Tranmere Rovers(H) 0.2
Port Vale(H) 0.4
Bolton Wanderers(A) 0.5
Southend United(A) 0.5
Walsall(H) 0.7
Colchester United(H) 0.7
Southend United(H) 0.7
Scunthorpe United(A) 0.7
Crawley Town(H) 0.8
Grimsby Town(A) 0.8

Expected Goals
Mansfield Town 1.7 Tranmere Rovers 0.2 (HT:0.7-0.2) 3 Points
Leyton Orient 1.4 Mansfield Town 1.5 (HT:0.6-0.2) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 1.3 Exeter City 1.1 (HT:0.6 v 0.25) 1 Point
Newport County 1.5 Mansfield Town 1.0 (HT:0.25 v 0.25) 0 Points
Mansfield Town 1.1 Stevenage 1.1 (HT:0.6 v 0.6) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 1.4 Bradford City 2.1 (HT:0.7 v 1.0) 0 Points
Morecambe 1.2 Mansfield Town 0.9 (HT:0.5 v 0.5) 1 Point
Cheltenham Town 1.0 Mansfield Town 0.9 (HT:0.3 v 0.6) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 1.3 Barrow 2.1 (HT:0.3 v 1.4) 0 Points
Mansfield Town 0.9 Walsall 0.7 (HT:0.3-0.25) 1 Point
Bolton Wanderers 0.5 Mansfield Town 1.1 (HT:0.25-0.5) 3 Points
Forest Green Rovers 2.2 Mansfield Town 1.2 (HT: 0.8 v 1) 0 Points
Mansfield Town 0.9 Colchester United 0.7 (HT: 0.3 v 0.3) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 1.3 Harrogate Town 1.6 (HT: 0.55 v 0.8) 1 Point
Cambridge United 1.3 Mansfield Town 1.3 (HT: 0.45 v 0.7) 1 Point
Mansfield Town 2.8 Crawley Town 0.8 (HT: 1.5 v 0) 3 Points
Grimsby Town 1.0 Mansfield Town 1.4 (HT: 0.2 v 0.2) 3 Points
Carlisle United 2.0 Mansfield Town 0.7 (HT: 0.95 v 0.45) 0 Points
Mansfield Town 1.5 Southend United 0.7 (HT: 0.4 v 0.5) 3 Points
Scunthorpe United 0.7 Mansfield Town 1.7 (HT: 0.4 v 0.6) 3 Points
Mansfield Town 3.4 Port Vale 0.4 (HT: 1.3 v 0.15) 3 Points
Mansfield Town 2.4 Salford City 1.8 ( 1.8 v 0.4) 3 Points
Oldham Athletic 0.9 Mansfield Town 2.6 (HT: 0.4 v 2.1) 3 Points
Southend United 0.5 Mansfield Town 1.5 (HT 0.3 v 0.8) 3 Points

Squad Churn as at 21st September 2020: 7th Highest (49%)
% of minutes played in 2019-2020 by players who are still at club
We will probably have a higher squad churn now due to Danny Rose leaving.

Possession
v Tranmere Rovers (Home) 51%
v Leyton Orient (Away) 40%
v Exeter City (Home) 47%
v Newport County (Away) 43%
v Stevenage (Home) 64%
v Bradford City (Home) 45%
v Morecambe (Away) 53%
v Cheltenham (Away) 42%
v Barrow (Home) 40%
v Walsall (Home) 52%
v Bolton Wanderers (Away) 44%
v Forest Green Rovers (Away) 31.5%
v Colchester United (Home) 44%
v Harrogate Town (Home) 57%
v Cambridge United (Home) 47%
v Crawley Town (Home) 51%
v Grimsby Town (Away) 44.5%
v Carlisle United (Away) 52%
v Southend United (Home) 61.5%
v Scunthorpe United (Away) 48%
v Port Vale (Home) 60%
v Salford City (Home) 49%
v Oldham Athletic (Away) 44%
v Southend United (Away) 53%

xG Table 2019-2020
Mansfield Town: W14 D5 L17, 47 Points, Position: 15th

What a pile of absolute dog toffee
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 15784
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:56 pm

Bowery and Charsley performing to expected then, Reid just below.

Are the likes of Mullin, Muldoon and Adebayo really good or should we expect them to score less moving forwards?

I think they’ll all slow down and that their respective teams will fall down the league as a result. This has already happened to Colchester
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:37 am



Interesting thread here.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Albuquerque Stag » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:34 pm

https://youtu.be/8kfArTnHHiQ

Came across this video and thought some might find it interesting as there's been a few disagreements with the use of stats.

Not trying to support or argue a particular viewpoint, as I agree with whoever said that stats can be used as a sort of rough guide and should be used with actually watching games and using your own observations to form opinions. Just thought some on here would find it interesting to see how stats can be used to produce inaccurate conclusions in some cases and how this can be corrected.
Albuquerque Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:45 pm

Albuquerque Stag wrote:https://youtu.be/8kfArTnHHiQ

Came across this video and thought some might find it interesting as there's been a few disagreements with the use of stats.

Not trying to support or argue a particular viewpoint, as I agree with whoever said that stats can be used as a sort of rough guide and should be used with actually watching games and using your own observations to form opinions. Just thought some on here would find it interesting to see how stats can be used to produce inaccurate conclusions in some cases and how this can be corrected.


Thank you, enjoyed that. Some good points made. Sadly at League Two level, a lot of the methods they suggest require data which is not in the public domain unless you subscribe to Wyscout or something similar.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby one f in mansfield » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:46 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55816277

my first job was getting up at 4:30 to be a van boy at Landers Bread . i Would have loved his job
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
User avatar
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:56 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55816277

my first job was getting up at 4:30 to be a van boy at Landers Bread . i Would have loved his job


I wonder how the players he has recommended have turned out on the field of play. No mention in the article which seems a little strange.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:03 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55816277

my first job was getting up at 4:30 to be a van boy at Landers Bread . i Would have loved his job


Fair play to the lad. There’s no end of people this has happened to now from the analytics community on ‘football twitter’.

But it’s all a load of rubbish apparently :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:02 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
one f in mansfield wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55816277

my first job was getting up at 4:30 to be a van boy at Landers Bread . i Would have loved his job


I wonder how the players he has recommended have turned out on the field of play. No mention in the article which seems a little strange.


Clearly if he’s recommended a good one they would’ve been falling over themselves to tell us ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8619
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 pm

That ought to give a good idea of final league placings.

So a play off semi final with Morecambe.

You heard it first here.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6972
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:07 pm

Here is an extract from a recent article by Plymouth Argyle Chairman, Simon Hallett. Another club that is using data analytics to assist recruitment.

"At the core of our decision-making will be an attempt to overcome those biases from which all of us suffer. We have begun to incorporate the use of data analytics in assessing players who are candidates for our squad. All too often in football, recruitment is done based on recent results, and gut feel, rather than on objective facts. While the judgment of our football people is good, it will be backed by hard evidence, not just by what they see with their eyes. Surely no football fan who has argued about their team’s performance can doubt how our views can be tainted by our emotions, and how two people watching the same player can “see” radically different performances!"

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2021/februa ... mans-chat/?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8432
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:21 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Here is an extract from a recent article by Plymouth Argyle Chairman, Simon Hallett. Another club that is using data analytics to assist recruitment.

"At the core of our decision-making will be an attempt to overcome those biases from which all of us suffer. We have begun to incorporate the use of data analytics in assessing players who are candidates for our squad. All too often in football, recruitment is done based on recent results, and gut feel, rather than on objective facts. While the judgment of our football people is good, it will be backed by hard evidence, not just by what they see with their eyes. Surely no football fan who has argued about their team’s performance can doubt how our views can be tainted by our emotions, and how two people watching the same player can “see” radically different performances!"

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2021/februa ... mans-chat/?


But is there evidence that the stats are any more accurate? They are, after all only someone’s interpretation of a performance so where is the difference?

I have made no secret that I think Kellan Gordon can’t defend but stats say he can. What happened on Tuesday?. Neither system is 100% accurate and so probably we should have a system where both are taken into account equally.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:29 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Here is an extract from a recent article by Plymouth Argyle Chairman, Simon Hallett. Another club that is using data analytics to assist recruitment.

"At the core of our decision-making will be an attempt to overcome those biases from which all of us suffer. We have begun to incorporate the use of data analytics in assessing players who are candidates for our squad. All too often in football, recruitment is done based on recent results, and gut feel, rather than on objective facts. While the judgment of our football people is good, it will be backed by hard evidence, not just by what they see with their eyes. Surely no football fan who has argued about their team’s performance can doubt how our views can be tainted by our emotions, and how two people watching the same player can “see” radically different performances!"

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2021/februa ... mans-chat/?


But is there evidence that the stats are any more accurate? They are, after all only someone’s interpretation of a performance so where is the difference?

I have made no secret that I think Kellan Gordon can’t defend but stats say he can. What happened on Tuesday?. Neither system is 100% accurate and so probably we should have a system where both are taken into account equally.


That’s what they do Sandy. They use stats to identify the type of player they’re after, they’ll then go an use the ‘eye test’ to make sure everything tally’s up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:04 pm

Most successful dribbles (LG2: 2020/21)

97 - Conor Wilkinson
93 - Dylan Bahamboula
77 - James Brophy
76 - Wes McDonald
69 - Jobi McAnuff
67 - Antoni Sarcevic
66 - Wes Hoolahan
66 - Ashley Nathaniel-George
61 - Josh Key
58 - Devante Rodney
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8432
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:09 pm

Highest passes completed* % (LG2: 2020/21)

88% - Carl Winchester
87% - Mike Jones
85% - Jason Lowe
85% - Josh Sheehan
85% - Udoka Godwin-Malife
84% - Jay Spearing
84% - Ricardo Santos
84% - Callum Cooke

Minimum 500 pass attempts
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8432
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: League 2 Statistics 2020-2021

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:37 pm

Stags most successful dribbles
Ollie Clarke 21

Highest pass completion
George Maris 79.5%
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: awalkinthepark, Bing [Bot], BoughtonStag71, gazza1988, Martin Shaw, MTFCMusings, Sneag, Tippy Tappy Football and 44 guests