{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Craig Davies/ Matt Green/Lawrence Shankland

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Davies

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:58 pm

FarnieStag wrote:In my opinion Greeny is quality. He still had a decent goalscoring record in his last season with us but was hardly played.
Lincoln are hoof which doesnt suit his game, in a proper footballing outfit like stags I'm sure he will shine.
Walker, greeny and CJ would rip league 2 teams apart

I take it you didn’t watch Mansfield from 2011-2013.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I'm hearing a strong rumour Green is in his way back in Jan. Lincoln will replace him with a loan move from Eisa.
Same guy that told me Frecklington was going there and not here.

I'd take Green over Davies any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

We should be trying to get Mo Eisa on loan, or otherwise. Would be a better bet than having Greenie back.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:49 pm

FarnieStag wrote:He still had a decent goalscoring record in his last season with us but was hardly played.

2016/17 - 49 appearances, 13 goals. Not a bad season for being "hardly played"! Yes, 13 is decent but he faded towards the end.
He played for us 21 times in 2017 and scored three times.
If using those years as a basis he does compare with Rose and Walker for striking prowess and is obviously better than Davies, but I'd argue that now he's lost his pace he's just another average striker that can't finish. I'm sure we can sign any number in that category.
Although his finishing is patchy, at least Walker seems to have a bit of quality about him and you feel that he's likely to start a scoring run at any time; he's young enough to still be on the up. If we're looking for a regular strike partner for Walker, CJ is as good as any. But to vary the attack a bit I don't think that Green is the answer.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Green is not the answer, if he was good enough Lincoln who are a promotion rival wouldn't be willing to sell him to us would they. That tells it's own tale.

If Eisa is available then I can't see why any other league 2 side should be able to out-bid us and why we shouldn't be in the race. We're allegedly paying Walker a small fortune and have spent a lot of money so I can't see how some of the top players at this level would be a massive stretch.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 am

Forget the stats, Greeny did have a good last season with us. 13 goals even though he was frozen out of the team when Evans took over... many of his appearances on the stats are as a sub. People are saying on here that he's not doing well at Lincoln but most Lincoln fans seem to love him. If the rumours are right then he wants to come back, and having a player wanting to play for the shirt is a big big plus. He also seems to have a good relationship with the Radfords. I really think we'd struggle to get anyone better in the January window.
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:49 am

What’s this love in with former strikers ? Green is in the past, can’t get a start at one of our rivals and people think that’s good enough for us? We want Lincoln cast offs? I think we need better
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:20 am

I love greeny to bits but Eisa would be the final piece in the jigsaw
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:23 am

Mansf1eld wrote:I love greeny to bits but Eisa would be the final piece in the jigsaw

I think Green would suit the system personally
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks for the memories Matt, always be an MTFC legend but I don’t think we be any better with him back.

Not just that but with how Evans treated him, couldn’t see him coming back. Seems settled at Lincoln.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm

If a deal for Green can be sorted would be happy with that but would prefer a fresh face and one more proven at this level but every club looking for striker to score goal in the run up to end of the season.
any reason Green not be playing at the Gimps??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 pm

From ExAgent on Twitter:

Bristol City are set to let Mo Eisa leave on loan, with three League Two clubs in the chase.

Please be us :mtfc:
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
Mansf1eld wrote:I love greeny to bits but Eisa would be the final piece in the jigsaw

I think Green would suit the system personally

I’d expect the club to be asking about both but I’d also expect Eisa to prefer to stay locally but who knows, if you don’t ask you don’t get. I also agree with Chander Lear that Green would fit our current system compared to the style under Evans, it’s my opinion as to why Rose’s form has dipped as well as I don’t think it suits him as well.

That said I still think we need more of a target player if Davies is going to struggle with fitness.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Bradders wrote:
Spiritater wrote:The floating bone thing is a worry, probably need keyhole surgery but definitely some sort of surgery to remove it. Then recuperation and build up to fitness... 6-7 weeks out maybe. I do think he's been hampered by it and we've not seen his best since it happened. I remember him turning his ankle early on in the season down near the corner of QL and WS and thought that looks a sore one and never really figured after that. Probably me just putting 2+2 together and making 76 though :(
We will be needing a replacement for the lad in Jan without a doubt... Matt Green anyone?

Matt Green is more of a Tyler Walker type of player, or an old and slow version of CJ without the goalscoring threat. We've already got better strikers in that mould. Anyway, he's a squad player for Lincoln and won't be available. Why the obsession with former players anyway?
As an in-form natural goalscorer won't be on the cards, I think that we're looking for a powerful no-nonsense striker who can at least use his strength to create chances that other players can tap in. So more obviously a replacement for Davies - he's been very disappointing, whether due to injury or not.

Alright, come on!
Can you fill me in?
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 pm

I think Green not playing at Imps is down to their style of play, as opposed to Greens ability.

He wants more game time and appearances and I doubt that would change if he came here. I think we would be asking about both, it's not mutually exclusive

But the Eisa rumour is an interesting one. The three times sniffing around him will be Us, Lincoln and I feel MK dons.

If he goes to Lincoln, they'll be unstoppable but I think we play football more suited to his style. Financially, we can outbid anyone in this league but if it's a loan then our main selling point is style of play. We can get Eisa playing good football and send him back to Bristol full of confidence
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I'm hearing a strong rumour Green is in his way back in Jan. Lincoln will replace him with a loan move from Eisa.
Same guy that told me Frecklington was going there and not here.

I'd take Green over Davies any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

If Green wants to come back then great. Thing is his number in the pecking order will be the same as it is at Lincoln. He won't be in ahead of the undroppable Walker, and I prefer Danny Danny Rose.

Green was run into the ground by Murray and left isolated and Evans just disrespected him and didn't want him. Under DF, he could come back and score goals for us. He ain't far away if played correctly.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Bradders wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:He still had a decent goalscoring record in his last season with us but was hardly played.

2016/17 - 49 appearances, 13 goals. Not a bad season for being "hardly played"! Yes, 13 is decent but he faded towards the end.
If using those years as a basis he does compare with Rose and Walker for striking prowess and is obviously better than Davies, but I'd argue that now he's lost his pace he's just another average striker that can't finish. I'm sure we can sign any number in that category.
Although his finishing is patchy, at least Walker seems to have a bit of quality about him and you feel that he's likely to start a scoring run at any time; he's young enough to still be on the up. If we're looking for a regular strike partner for Walker, CJ is as good as any. But to vary the attack a bit I don't think that Green is the answer.

Honestly don't think he's been fit enough to show his potential here, so you'd have to re-e-wind back a few years to his peak . Ok, no more crappy lyric references i promise! ;)

That opening game against Newport (i think?) where he looked up for a second then curled it past the keeper & smacked the post from about 25 yards out showed his eye for goal is still good. Unless there's a bonafide physical striker willing to come then i'd still give him a chance to prove himself, IF he can get properly fit in the first place of course.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Matt wants starts he int going to get them here, Wacka will start with either CJ or DR
what we are missing is a goal scorer
pass+shot=goal
as much as i love Greeny that int him
as much as a dislike him Hylton is

that’s the type & deference between success and failure this season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Honestly don't think he's been fit enough to show his potential here, so you'd have to re-e-wind back a few years to his peak . Ok, no more crappy lyric references i promise! ;)

That opening game against Newport (i think?) where he looked up for a second then curled it past the keeper & smacked the post from about 25 yards out showed his eye for goal is still good. Unless there's a bonafide physical striker willing to come then i'd still give him a chance to prove himself, IF he can get properly fit in the first place of course.

Shamon
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:23 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Matt wants starts he int going to get them here, Wacka will start with either CJ or DR
what we are missing is a goal scorer
pass+shot=goal
as much as i love Greeny that int him
as much as a dislike him Hylton is

that’s the type & deference between success and failure this season

hyltons never gonna come here when Luton are flying high in L1
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 pm

As mentioned, no point having Green if we've got Walker already.

Better off getting someone big in who can shoot, run or hold the ball up, unlike Davies
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:50 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Craig Davies / Matt Green

Postby pemill » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Green would be an excellent addition, he would have easily scored 25 in his last season with us if not for that fat moron playing him in stupid positions and leaving him out of the team, fat boy didn't like him for some reason.

He's better than Rose and Davies, he's also better than Walker and Graham but the latter are very inexperienced, he could help bring them on.

Greeny would perform under Flitcroft, he also has the right mindset to run the channels, press and track back.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:34 pm

pemill wrote:Green would be an excellent addition, he would have easily scored 25 in his last season with us if not for that fat moron playing him in stupid positions and leaving him out of the team, fat boy didn't like him for some reason.

He's better than Rose and Davies, he's also better than Walker and Graham but the latter are very inexperienced, he could help bring them on.

Greeny would perform under Flitcroft, he also has the right mindset to run the channels, press and track back.

:lol:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Green is NOT better than Walker!!! Amazed folk think he is. What backs those thoughts up? I still love Matt and would have him back if we have room for him but otherwise maybe we should aim a little higher.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:56 pm

pemill wrote:Green would be an excellent addition, he would have easily scored 25 in his last season with us

It doesn't really matter as he's not going to us anyway, but criticism of Matt in his last season was that he had good chances but couldn't convert them. I really don't buy this notion that Evans was instructing him to miss, or that he was out of position up front. He was still OK but not the goalscoring menace we used to love all those years ago.
I still say that with 86 league appearances in his final two seasons (including 75 starts) he had enough of an opportunity to prove himself a top goalscorer.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum