{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Its Ok not to be Ok

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Its Ok not to be Ok

Postby yaxhamstag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:43 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:I don’t know much about C.A.L.M in any great detail but I do have the App on my phone. I’ve struggled with my mental health for years and have tried to arm myself with as many different tools as I can to help. On the back of GFB mentioning C.A.L.M I just wanted to mention the STOPP App. It’s incredibly simple, it’s grounding techniques. You can either listen or read through a few steps, it’s not rocket science but I’ve found it really useful in the past. I’ve stuck my earphones in and just taken a few minutes to reset using the App. No one knows what you’re listening to. I can’t promise it will work but it’s just something else to try if you need a few moments for whatever reason. Oh and it’s free.

Thanks for this. I’ve now got the STOPP app on my phone. It’s so simple but makes you stop and think.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yaxhamstag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:45 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:Showaddywaddy's post has made a connection with something that has helped me massively in the past. Without getting too autobiographical, I had a significant experience with long covid which has led to significant lifestyle and work changes. I found myself struggling for the first time with seasonal adjustment and also inevitably, being unable to work / leave the house, my mental health.
Two things that I had recommended to me by health professionals, and I thought they were winding me up, were Qigong and meditation.
There are loads of examples on Youtube of short meditations and exercises to do.
Qigong is fantastic for stress and stopping for ten minutes as well as being really good for getting oxygen into your system. In my case, i effectively learned to breathe properly again using it but on a bad day at work i still use it to decompress.
An example is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGvBsmdBLY

I’d never heard of Qigong before but just taken a look on the internet. I think it could be something I’ll try to use going forward. Thanks for sharing
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:43 pm

Posted this in its own thread but thought it worth posting in here too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ealth.html
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:58 pm

Dan wrote:Posted this in its own thread but thought it worth posting in here too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ealth.html

A link for those who, like me, would never, ever read the Mail:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-daughter
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:15 am

yaxhamstag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:Showaddywaddy's post has made a connection with something that has helped me massively in the past. Without getting too autobiographical, I had a significant experience with long covid which has led to significant lifestyle and work changes. I found myself struggling for the first time with seasonal adjustment and also inevitably, being unable to work / leave the house, my mental health.
Two things that I had recommended to me by health professionals, and I thought they were winding me up, were Qigong and meditation.
There are loads of examples on Youtube of short meditations and exercises to do.
Qigong is fantastic for stress and stopping for ten minutes as well as being really good for getting oxygen into your system. In my case, i effectively learned to breathe properly again using it but on a bad day at work i still use it to decompress.

I’d never heard of Qigong before but just taken a look on the internet. I think it could be something I’ll try to use going forward. Thanks for sharing

There are three channels that I have used
Lee Holden https://youtube.com/@leeholdenvideos
Kseny https://www.youtube.com/@qigongwithkseny
Jeffrey Chand https://www.youtube.com/@ThinkVitalityQiGong

Hope it helps
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:10 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
yaxhamstag wrote:

There are three channels that I have used
Lee Holden https://youtube.com/@leeholdenvideos
Kseny https://www.youtube.com/@qigongwithkseny
Jeffrey Chand https://www.youtube.com/@ThinkVitalityQiGong

Hope it helps

Cheers. I’ll take a look
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:55 pm

Bump
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:32 am

Hope folk have other things to do today as we haven’t a game.

We are visiting grandkids which is very unusual for a Saturday.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The One » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:36 pm

Bump
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:41 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:51 am

Even without getting into the specifics of whether this thread is Stags related it should be left to survive on its own not be artificially resurrected every few days by contributors "bumping" it into life.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:47 pm

:)
Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:43 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2023/december/stags-to-celebrate-enlighten-the-shadows-this-saturday/

Superb to see stuff like this happening
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:51 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Even without getting into the specifics of whether this thread is Stags related it should be left to survive on its own not be artificially resurrected every few days by contributors "bumping" it into life.

I think the kindness offered by this thread, where strangers reach out to each other offering support makes the world a little bit of better place.

This thread is the most deserving of a 'bump' from time to time. Especially if helps someone in any way, surely?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:57 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Even without getting into the specifics of whether this thread is Stags related it should be left to survive on its own not be artificially resurrected every few days by contributors "bumping" it into life.

I think the kindness offered by this thread, where strangers reach out to each other offering support makes the world a little bit of better place.

This thread is the most deserving of a 'bump' from time to time. Especially if helps someone in any way, surely?

I ABSOLUTELY don't disagree AWC but as a question where do we stop with introducing threads that offer support and well being.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:08 pm

I totally agree AWC if it only helps one person in a year then it’s brilliant. It can take a lot for people to open up and if this one thread is the outlet someone needs it’s great. I know far more usernames than I can put a face to here but Stagsnet is its own community and people clearly feel comfortable opening up and sharing information on here and that can only be a good thing.

I’d actually like to share something. My mental health has been a struggle for over a decade now and I was actually going through a relatively calm period earlier this year, I started a new job that I was really enjoying and everything was good then my physical health started to cause me problems. I’ve been diagnosed with bowel cancer and I’m due for surgery next week. The good news is they are aiming for a cure and believe they can remove all the tumour. My anxiety levels are understandable creeping up as the day of the operation draws closer but I’ve actually been relatively calm about the whole thing so far. The only reason I share this is because I’ve actually found it much easier to process this news than I ever have to wrap my head around my mental health struggles. That’s not to say that I’m belittling or trivialising cancer, of course I’m not but as I’m in the hands of others to fix me I’ve found that much easier than having to try and fix myself mentally. I should also add that I feel lucky that’s is been caught early enough and the care I’ve received has been first class. A friend said to me perhaps my mental health struggles have actually helped me become more resilient in dealing with this news and I really liked that perspective and learning to reassess your situation and looking for alternative perspectives is something I’ve come to find really useful over the last few years. It’s also learnt me to take nothing for granted.

Tomorrow will be my last home game for a little while as I’ll be out of action for a few weeks post surgery and I hate missing home games (probably missed around half a dozen in 34 years)but I’ll have Martin and Dean to keep me company on Ifollow and I’m already looking forward to my first game back.

Up the Stags.
Last edited by Showaddywaddy on Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:

I totally agree AWC if it only helps one person in a year then it’s brilliant. It can take a lot for people to open up and if this one thread is the outlet someone needs it’s great. I know far more usernames than I can put a face to here but Stagsnet is its own community and people clearly feel comfortable opening up and sharing information on here and that can only be a good thing.

I’d actually like to share something. My mental health has been a struggle for over a decade now and I was actually going through a relatively calm period earlier this year, I started a new job that I was really enjoying and everything was good then my physical health started to cause me problems. I’ve been diagnosed with bowel cancer and I’m due for surgery next week. The good news is they are aiming for a cure and believe they can remove all the tumour. My anxiety levels are understandable creeping up as the day of the operation draws closer but I’ve actually been relatively calm about the whole thing so far. The only reason I share this is because I’ve actually found it much easier to process this news than I ever have to wrap my head around my mental health struggles. That’s not to say that I’m belittling or trivialising cancer, of course I’m not but as I’m in the hands of others to fix me I’ve found that much easier than having to try and fix myself mentally . A friend said to me perhaps my mental health struggles have actually helped me become more resilient in dealing with this news and I really liked that perspective and learning to reassess your situation and looking for alternative perspectives is something I’ve come to find really useful over the last few years.

Tomorrow will be my last home game for a little while as I’ll be out of action for a few weeks post surgery and I hate missing home games (probably missed around half a dozen in 34 years)but I’ll have Martin and Dean to keep me company on Ifollow and I’m already looking forward to my first game back.

Up the Stags.

I wish you all of the best for your surgery.

6 years ago today I had surgery for my bowel cancer and to remove the surgery. Best operation I have ever had as it saved my life and gives me the opportunity to still watch the stags.

I still have problems due to the part of the bowel that was removed but there was hope and I grabbed it.

PM me if you want to chat about it.
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:52 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:

I’d actually like to share something. My mental health has been a struggle for over a decade now and I was actually going through a relatively calm period earlier this year, I started a new job that I was really enjoying and everything was good then my physical health started to cause me problems. I’ve been diagnosed with bowel cancer and I’m due for surgery next week. The good news is they are aiming for a cure and believe they can remove all the tumour. My anxiety levels are understandable creeping up as the day of the operation draws closer but I’ve actually been relatively calm about the whole thing so far. The only reason I share this is because I’ve actually found it much easier to process this news than I ever have to wrap my head around my mental health struggles. That’s not to say that I’m belittling or trivialising cancer, of course I’m not but as I’m in the hands of others to fix me I’ve found that much easier than having to try and fix myself mentally . A friend said to me perhaps my mental health struggles have actually helped me become more resilient in dealing with this news and I really liked that perspective and learning to reassess your situation and looking for alternative perspectives is something I’ve come to find really useful over the last few years.

Up the Stags.

very sorry to hear this, great to see you fight on
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:56 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:

I’d actually like to share something. My mental health has been a struggle for over a decade now and I was actually going through a relatively calm period earlier this year, I started a new job that I was really enjoying and everything was good then my physical health started to cause me problems. I’ve been diagnosed with bowel cancer and I’m due for surgery next week. The good news is they are aiming for a cure and believe they can remove all the tumour. My anxiety levels are understandable creeping up as the day of the operation draws closer but I’ve actually been relatively calm about the whole thing so far. The only reason I share this is because I’ve actually found it much easier to process this news than I ever have to wrap my head around my mental health struggles. That’s not to say that I’m belittling or trivialising cancer, of course I’m not but as I’m in the hands of others to fix me I’ve found that much easier than having to try and fix myself mentally. I should also add that I feel lucky that’s is been caught early enough and the care I’ve received has been first class. A friend said to me perhaps my mental health struggles have actually helped me become more resilient in dealing with this news and I really liked that perspective and learning to reassess your situation and looking for alternative perspectives is something I’ve come to find really useful over the last few years. It’s also learnt me to take nothing for granted.

Up the Stags.

Really hope the operation goes well and you have a speedy recovery.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:39 pm

Hope all goes well with the op and your recovery, and for what it`s worth I think your friend might be right, resilience is crucial to overcoming not just mental health issues but physical health issues as well, pity it cannot be taught in schools.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:13 pm

I think you are brave for sharing this news and I admire you for doing so. From my experience it is far better to share these difficult situations than bottle them up. I hope all goes well for you and that you are back in time to watch the stags, gain promotion this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:30 pm

Wishing you the very best Showaddywaddy, please let us know how you are doing when you are well enough to post.
Hoping for 3 points for you tomorrow
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:20 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:

Up the Stags.

Hope your surgery goes well.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:57 pm

We all need to be positive. Great results today…we will go up this season. raspberry the weather! COYS.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:39 pm

I have just seen a post about a free counselling and support service for 16-25 year olds in Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire called CASY.
Website is https://www.casy.org.uk/

We are a registered charity dedicated to promoting and preserving the mental and emotional health of children and young people throughout Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire. We achieve this by delivering a range of services:
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum